CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #54

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's comparing this process to making an omelet?
I normally respect the defense for doing their necessary job to protect our rights, but they themselves need to show respect for the processes and people involved.
Hypocrite. IMO.

Memo to defense attorney. It wasn't her demons. She was taking out her anger at her husband on a child.

What changed between hike and murder?

She knew her marriage was over.

Some people cut up clothes and throw them on the curb.

T is a special kind of evil.

JMO

Every time I feel bad for detesting criminal defense attorneys, someone like this guy shows up and confirms why I genuinely detest them. :mad:
Why? Lots of good criminal defense attorneys. Lots of prosecutors that overcharge/false charges etc. We NEED good criminal defense attorneys.

People hate on them until they need one.

At the end of the day, guy is only doing his job. His client is trash (jmo) he can't force her to plead guilty - he has to wing something. Not like she left him much to work with.

Plus we have only heard openings - I'm going to reserve my thoughts on them until we get further along. (And yes I thought opening was terrible).

Sanity....

Sane on the hike.

Sane googling about her marriage, asking the Magic Eight Ball.

Sane calling in to work.

Sane driving an injured Gannon all over hill and dale.

Sane when she drove back home and decided she was likely going to be blamed for his burns so ..... Sane when she made her next decision, to destroy the evidence. She obliterated him.

I feel ill.

jmo

I am back in court for Letecia Stauch’s opening statements, which should begin shortly. I’ll be tweeting updates here on the openings for the @csgazette

And we are starting opening statements with the prosecution, DA Michael Allen will be speaking for the prosecution.

Right off the bat Allen is talking about how sanity will be the number one thing the jury has to decide.

Just played a brief video in court where Gannon Stauch could be heard crying about burns he had received.

Allen is currently showing the jury evidence of blood collected from Gannon's bedroom, as well as stating that Letecia Stauch "took deliberate actions to hide those crimes from the world." "Knowing what she was doing," Allen has said a few times now.

Letecia Stauch since the start of opening statements has had both of her hands on her face, and has not once looked up.

"All of her decisions, all of her deliberate actions undermine her claims of insanity," Allen told the jury. "The evidence presented will prove sanity.”

Allen confirming that at some point the jury will hear testimony from a defense expert, likely Dr. Dorothy Lewis, claiming Letecia Stauch was insane at the time of Gannon's killing.

Allen just played a brief clip of Stauch's call to 911 when she reported Gannon missing. When the dispatcher asked who the last person to see her alive was and Letecia Stauch can be heard answering "I guess me?”

That was Allen's final speaking point before concluding, we are now moving on to the defense's opening statements.

Will Cook, Stauch's defense attorney, is talking with the jury about how many already view his client as "guilty" and "evil." "It was an awful, awful thing that was done to Gannon... and I get it," Cook said.

Cook just pretended to walk out of the courtroom but returned to say he "can't just check out now," because "It wouldn't be fair to [Letecia Stauch].”

"We have lost in the court of public opinion and the media, she is guilty," Cook said. "Do your jobs, listen to the evidence... That is all I'm asking of you, give us a fair shake.’

Cook talking about how it's true that motive isn't required, but is important in a case like this. Specifically, the lack of a motive that Cook claims the prosecution has.

Stauch's attorneys are now showing a selfie of Letecia and Gannon Stauch to the jurors, which Cook says was taken the day before Gannon died.
I can hear Letecia Stauch quietly crying now at the defense table.

"But behind those photos and smiles, Ms. Stauch.. was dealing with trauma and abuse that had been going on since she was a toddler," Cook said. Cook is stating that Letecia Stauch was assaulted and molested as a child "from 5 or 6 on to when she was a teenager.”

Dissociative identity order is what Cook is claiming Stauch has been diagnosed with. "You must, to be fair and partial, you must believe it is a valid defense," Cook said to the jury.

"You're going to have countless witnesses, evidence, exhibits, photos, videos," Cook told the jury they will see. "You know what you're not going to hear... a motive." "The reason is there is no motive, there is no reason. It doesn't make sense. It's insane.”

"She broke on that day ladies and gentleman, she broke," Cook said.

Cook is arguing that all the evidence that will be presented by the prosecution will in fact prove not that Stauch was sane, but rather, insane at the time of Gannon's death.

"These are all signs and evidence of a mind, a soul, that is broken in the most fundamental and profound way. It's so broken, it doesn't even know what it was doing," Cook said.

"Now the trial starts," Cook said near the end of his opening statement.

With opening statements now complete, Judge Werner is now walking the jury through what to expect during this trial. Once this is complete we should be done for the day. First prosecution witness is expected tomorrow morning.

Allen announcing that the child abuse resulting in death charge is being dismissed by the DA, Stauch still faces 12 charges including first-degree murder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members