CO CO - Jaryd Atadero, 3, Comanche Peak, 2 Oct 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Parker man seeks answers in son's death

http://parkerchronicle.net/stories/Parker-man-updates-book-on-missing-sons-case,204851

Many speculated the boy had been attacked and carried off by a mountain lion. It wasn’t until more than three years later that hikers found Jaryd’s shredded clothing. The findings seemed to fit the narrative, until the Ataderos had the clothes examined. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation found no hair from a predatory animal and a distinct absence of blood.

“It doesn’t sound like a mountain lion because there would have been blood everywhere,” Allyn Atadero said.

“My ultimate goal when I first started writing it was Jaryd had been missing and no one knew what happened to him,” he said. “I thought to myself, `What if he’s alive? What if he’s out there? As long as I can keep bringing attention to the story, people will see his picture.’ ”

Atadero still receives occasional phone calls from strangers, including one person who urged him not to allow authorities to issue a death certificate. A man who authored a book about a serial killer suggested Jaryd Atadero could be a victim of a murder. And an anonymous caller claiming to have worked for the investigating agency on Jaryd Atadero’s case told Allyn Atadero not to give up because information was being withheld from him.

1452106873_9e95.jpg

Good thinking... I can certainly imagine young, playful animals pulling the trousers off like that.
I also thought, if the ML grabbed ahold of his waistband, etc. And he tried to crawl away, they may have ended up wrong side out.

I just listened to Allyn Atadero's interviews on True Murder and Generation Why.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing him but it sounds like he had a very casual parenting style. It doesn't even sound like the church group invited Jaryd along. Janet asked Jocelyn to go along, and Jaryd begged his dad to allow him to go. Allyn agreed, and he said he was reassured everything would be okay, but I don't think the group wanted to watch a 3 year old, especially one as energetic as Jaryd.

It is noted over and over again how Jaryd didn't ever tie his shoes. He was 3 years and 8 months old. Can kids even tie their shoes that young? There are other things that support my opinion he was an extremely laid back dad, but I'm not trying to pile up a list against him.

There are many omitted and odd details in the podcasts. (i.e., Did Janet fall asleep on a rock? Did Jocelyn? Why were they so sleepy? Can we get some info on the fishermen? How did a 3 year old, with untied shoes, run ahead of the fast group of hikers? What was Allyn's relationship with Janet? Did anyone ever question the church group? Is there a timeline?)

Allyn tells of his last times with Jaryd on the True Murder podcast. That whole night seemed strange.

I think a mountain lion got Jaryd or he fell in the water.

I wish I hadn't listened to this. I had much more respect and empathy prior to hearing it. I've read everything I could find on this case and this podcast blew my mind.

My sympathy quotient is nill for this man after hearing this. Sorry if I sound cold, but this is the weirdest interview I've ever heard, well almost.

Does anyone know if he's suing anyone? Is he getting paid for any of his "talks" or "interviews"?

Everything is my opinion only and I will not be buying his book.

I wish I hadn't listened to this. I had much more respect and empathy prior to hearing it. I've read everything I could find on this case and this podcast blew my mind.

My sympathy quotient is nill for this man after hearing this. Sorry if I sound cold, but this is the weirdest interview I've ever heard, well almost.

Does anyone know if he's suing anyone? Is he getting paid for any of his "talks" or "interviews"?

Everything is my opinion only and I will not be buying his book.

Yeppers. I thought I was just being harsh and judgmental. Just too many things that bothered me...

I listened to David Paulides talk about this case on Coast to Coast. (IMO, he's a sensationalist, but I think he actually spoke to the fishermen. I will try to look up that episode and post his account).

I don't think he gets paid to do podcast interviews. They are to promote awareness and/or his book, IMO. Apparently he tried to sue the hikers:

...He tried unsuccessfully to press negligence charges against the hikers who lost him...

I came across a very similar case today. Laura Bradbury disappeared in the woods in 1984, when she was three and a half years old. It happened in Indian Cove in Joshua Tree National Park, California. A massive search failed to find her.

Then, in the spring of 1986, a hiker stumbled upon a small skull two miles from the campground. A sheriff's captain publicly speculated it was Laura's and proffered a theory. Maybe, he said, she meandered away from the toilet, stumbled and was somehow buried by collapsing sand. Only recently, he continued, coyotes or a mountain lion had dug up all that was left...

[Father] Mike grew increasingly contemptuous of sheriff's deputies for not doing enough about the many tips that flowed into the Laura Center. They were incompetent or lazy or both, he told reporters. He even speculated that someone inside the department knew that a kidnapper was involved and was covering it up...

It didn't help when Mike heard the story of Clifford Leville and Toby Santangelo. The Morongo Basin couple were said to have told deputies they had solid information about a man they believed kidnapped Laura. Knadler says his investigators checked it out and found it not credible. Not long afterward, Leville and Santangelo were found shot to death.

Laura's disappearance, Knadler says, had nothing to do with their slayings. Mike would not believe it...

he bought an expensive computer and ran streams of costly background checks on his own list of suspects: a cascade of ex-convicts and ne'er-do-wells living deep in the desert. He'd also hired a $30-a-day private investigator named Jim Schalow, a chain-smoking ex-Army Ranger with a Texas drawl.

They conjured their own theories: Laura had been sold to a child trafficking ring. Devil worshipers took her. She'd been whisked off to a foreign country.

Four days a week, Mike climbed into his beaten-up 1972 Volkswagen and drove 120 miles to Joshua Tree. Sometimes, he and Schalow donned Army fatigues and ammunition belts and crawled across the desert spying with high-powered binoculars on anyone they found...

Fear and paranoia became a part of daily life. Mike believed the people they were watching would kill anyone they caught snooping around. He believed his phone was tapped. He believed someone would bomb his VW.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/18/local/la-me-0919-bradbury-20100918

I don't blame him for trying to sue the hikers, but it kind of blows my mind that he let his kids go with people he didn't know. Where was the boy's mom, did she agree to this?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am glad to be here. There are a few things I'd like to present regarding the disappearance of Jaryd Atadero. I belong to a new, small organization called Thunder Street Ministry that seeks to help families broaden awareness for their cold cases and, when possible, provide investigative services at no cost to the victim's family. One such family we are working with is the Atadero family. I'd like to take a moment to correct some of the erroneous information in this thread, as it has caused the family needless emotional strain after visiting this and other forums like it. They came to places like this hoping to find new ideas regarding their cases, but were faced with accusations instead. We were not asked to post this, but it is part of our outreach to help keep information sound and fact-based.

Thunder Street team members made a visit to Poudre Canyon from September 21st-24th, and spent some time with the Atadero family on the Big South Trail.

1. The group Jaryd was with was comprised of individuals known to Allyn and whom he'd hosted at the resort in the past, save for three new people in the group. The woman who was initially looking after Jaryd and his sister was a family friend who had babysat the kids on several occasions and had given the family a place to stay when they first moved to Colorado.

2. Initially, when Allyn refused to let Jaryd go on the hike, he was told they were only going to the Poudre River Fish Hatchery, which is less than ten minutes from the resort. He was familiar with that area, and eventually let Jaryd go along. The team made a stop here on the second day of the trip, and found it to be an ideal place for families to take their kids. The group then left without telling Allyn where they had gone.

3. Jaryd's parents divorced a year or two before moving to Colorado, so she was not in the picture until after Jaryd disappeared.

4. The condition of clothing indicates that someone placed them there to be found. As someone mentioned earlier in the forum, the clothes would have been covered with debris if they were even strong enough to have lasted four winters in the canyon. Since Jaryd was wearing a fleece pullover and sweatpants, there would have been anything left but tatters after so long a time. Mountain lions do not "skin" their prey, and thus would not remove clothing. Mountain lion cubs would have no reason to tug at the pants in such a way as to remove them. The missing leg was due to birds, rodents, and insects chewing up the fabric. The NecroSearch team explained to Allyn that birds and other small animals took pieces of the cloth to their nests and such, and they even pointed out where they could see some of this fabric in nearby trees.

5. The remains found are completely inconsistent with a mountain lion attack. Initially, they did not find any remains with the clothing. After a press conference was held and the sheriff made his claim that it was a mountain lion attack, a well-respected medical examiner by the name of Dr. Michael Baden was interviewed. He was very blunt in his analysis that if it were a mountain lion attack, you wouldn't just find nothing. He said you'd find small bones in the shoes and that you'd at least find a tooth. It was after this they sent the forensic team knows as NecroSearch to comb the area and found a tooth sitting on top of a log with no debris covering it. The tooth was also determined to be from the lower jaw, which was not found in the area.

6. The Sheriff who was in charge of the actual search was present only when news cameras were present. When they left, he left. He was also the architect of the mountain lion theory, which he claimed was what the press wanted to hear. Behind the scenes, he told Allyn that he believed Jaryd fell in the river. He followed this by saying that the body wouldn't surface for five years because the waters were so cold. This is both a physical and forensic impossibility. We've seen the river with our own eyes, and if Jaryd had fell in the river he would have gotten caught up in the many protruding rocks or patches of bare river bed not long after. The river has so many shallow rocky spots with less than three inches of water that the odds of his not being found by divers and SAR were virtually none.

7. The sighting of Jaryd at Mesa Verde National Park is still a mystery that has not been properly followed up on, but it is a major kink in the mountain lion/drowing theories. For those not familiar, a seasonal ranger at Mesa Verde was leading a morning tour group when a little boy kept coming up to him trying to hold his hand. The ranger said the man he was with kept calling the boy something that sounded like "Gerald." That night, as he was watching the news with his wife, Jaryd's picture came up and he immediately recognized him as the boy he saw in the group. We are reaching out to the ranger to inquire further.

8. Allyn Atadero is not getting paid to do any speaking engagements or podcasts. It's rare anyone wants to talk with him about it at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any questions regarding this case please ask. We have a large amount of information at our disposal. I'd also advise against taking any cues from books claiming there is a paranormal force behind this abduction. They tend to present a very incomplete picture of what happened over the course of that week.

Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered : did the men who were fishing ever take a polygraph ? Was the FBI CARD unit ever involved in this child's disappearance ? Is it believed that the mountain lion placed the child's tooth where it was found ? Tia to anyone who might know.

Sorry if these questions have been asked and answered : did the men who were fishing ever take a polygraph ? Was the FBI CARD unit ever involved in this child's disappearance ? Is it believed that the mountain lion placed the child's tooth where it was found ? Tia to anyone who might know.

The Fishermen were interviewed several times and police found them forthcoming and consistent. They were not investigated further.

The FBI did not get involved in the search, as the Sheriff was adamant that Jaryd was still on the mountain somewhere. A sighting in Mesa Verde National Park was completely ignored, and abduction was never seriously considered by search leads.

The mountain theory is one that refuses to go away, but the Atadero family sought out as many experts as they could in determining if an attack was likely. This included wild life refuges, mountain lion refuges, and even a victim. All but one denied the likelihood of an attack. Search dogs never found a single hint of blood during the search, and the dog handler gave them a pair of Allyn's shorts as a scent object instead of Jaryd's. There are many other anomalies hindering the case that have not been explained.

I have some insight on the state of the clothing from personal observation. I used to live near train tracks where I'd find random items of discarded clothing (Several shoes, and a pair a jeans). What struck me about it was how brand new the items seemed to appear. Their brand-new appearance made me think there must be a body nearby. I never found any bodies, but I lived in that area for 3 years and there was a shoe that I had seen since I moved there. It looked brand new up until it got mowed over prior to moving away. My only conclusion is the area the items were in; they were under a canopy of trees protecting them from full exposure.

Related to placement of clothing in the elements, I had some shoes I left outside for a month one time that fell into some brush off my deck. When I found them, let's just say I never wore them again. It all comes down to where in the elements the items are to the rate of deterioration it seems.

I have some insight on the state of the clothing from personal observation. I used to live near train tracks where I'd find random items of discarded clothing (Several shoes, and a pair a jeans). What struck me about it was how brand new the items seemed to appear. Their brand-new appearance made me think there must be a body nearby. I never found any bodies, but I lived in that area for 3 years and there was a shoe that I had seen since I moved there. It looked brand new up until it got mowed over prior to moving away. My only conclusion is the area the items were in; they were under a canopy of trees protecting them from full exposure.

Related to placement of clothing in the elements, I had some shoes I left outside for a month one time that fell into some brush off my deck. When I found them, let's just say I never wore them again. It all comes down to where in the elements the items are to the rate of deterioration it seems.

Thank you for your insights. Regarding where the clothing was found, the items were all out in the open where the often unpredictable weather changes would deteriorate them relatively quickly. They had found a skull cap and a lone tooth from the mandible sitting on a log about a week after the clothing was recovered when the NecroSearch recovery group combed the area for human remains. Dr. Michael Baden, a respected forensic pathologist, had disregarded the mountain lion theory on live tv because no remains had been found, saying "You'd at least find a tooth." After four winters, it would have been on the ground buried under debris.

You are right in saying that climate conditions greatly impacts their rate of deterioration. Given where Jaryd's clothing was found, it is hard to believe that they'd not only be found so close together and in such tactful condition. The colors were still very vivid, and the pants were found inside out. I also question the story of the hikers who found the clothing. They removed evidence from the scene, waited 24 hours, and then reported the find. The area where the clothing was found has no trail leading to it, so the odds of them finding this by accident is far greater than normal.

Thank you for your insights. Regarding where the clothing was found, the items were all out in the open where the often unpredictable weather changes would deteriorate them relatively quickly. They had found a skull cap and a lone tooth from the mandible sitting on a log about a week after the clothing was recovered when the NecroSearch recovery group combed the area for human remains. Dr. Michael Baden, a respected forensic pathologist, had disregarded the mountain lion theory on live tv because no remains had been found, saying "You'd at least find a tooth." After four winters, it would have been on the ground buried under debris.

You are right in saying that climate conditions greatly impacts their rate of deterioration. Given where Jaryd's clothing was found, it is hard to believe that they'd not only be found so close together and in such tactful condition. The colors were still very vivid, and the pants were found inside out. I also question the story of the hikers who found the clothing. They removed evidence from the scene, waited 24 hours, and then reported the find. The area where the clothing was found has no trail leading to it, so the odds of them finding this by accident is far greater than normal.
Wow, that is interesting about them holding the items. Maybe they weren't aware of him being missing at first? Still I'd find that hard to believe someone didn't find it suspicious. Did investigators clear them? With the clothing being in good condition and in the elements maybe they were only recently dragged in the locations they were found by animals.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Wow, that is interesting about them holding the items. Maybe they weren't aware of him being missing at first? Still I'd find that hard to believe someone didn't find it suspicious. Did investigators clear them? With the clothing being in good condition and in the elements maybe they were only recently dragged in the locations they were found by animals.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the delayed response. The hikers stated in the sheriff's report that they talked often about the Jaryd Atadero case. They knew he was missing and Jaryd's father was never quite sure what to think of the two of them. I can't really comment too much on it, but the odds of their finding the clothing where they did is bordering on the miraculous. They were cleared, but given that the sheriff did nothing but spout lies on camera and cut off communication with the family, it wouldn't be a surprise to me if their story is complete garbage.

As for animals dragging out the clothing, there are too many impossibilities. One animal grabs the jacket, another grabs the sweatpants, while two other animals each grab a shoe and deposit them in two different places. It makes no sense. In an animal attack, the predator in question wouldn't leave clothing behind and take the body. They don't remove articles of clothing during the kill, thus the body would be with the clothing. Couple that with the fact that there was not a single blood stain on the clothing, Jaryd's shirt and underwear were missing, and the pants were found inside out. You'd be right to suspect foul play. We know it's a someone. We just don't know who.

I just cannot wrap my brain around the concept that absolutely anyone would let a three-year-old run off by themselves in the wilderness on a hiking trail. I don’t let my three-year-old go in the backyard without being with him.

And the concept that he came upon two fishermen and had a normal adult “conversation” and they didn’t think anything was weird is double bizarre!!!

I’m sorry, those two facts alone spell major suspicion and I would look NO further than the fishermen AND the group of people who were supposedly watching him..

I just cannot wrap my brain around the concept that absolutely anyone would let a three-year-old run off by themselves in the wilderness on a hiking trail. I don’t let my three-year-old go in the backyard without being with him.

And the concept that he came upon two fishermen and had a normal adult “conversation” and they didn’t think anything was weird is double bizarre!!!

I’m sorry, those two facts alone spell major suspicion and I would look NO further than the fishermen AND the group of people who were supposedly watching him..

I hear you. It's difficult not to go there. I've been on the trail with the Atadero family, seen with my own eyes the steep incline the hikers decided to climb where they eventually found the clothing, and saw the rock where Jaryd allegedly had that conversation with the fishermen. Having that perspective really changed the way I viewed the case, and I can honestly say that it's difficult to look past the fishermen. I am not certain they had anything to do with it, but they were so close to potentially saving Jaryd. They'll likely never live that down, and I don't think the rest of the group faced enough scrutiny either. Does this make them guilty? No, and we shouldn't rush to that conclusion, but several members did some inconsistent things. However, everything in this case deserves a number of reexaminations to establish a tighter timeline of events.

The outreach organization I belong to will be returning to the canyon at some point and doing what we can to help the family find answers.

On a side note, I do want to thank most of you on this thread for not going down the paranormal road. It's a criminal case, and the discussion must remain that way. Thank you for helping to keep it on track.

I hear you. It's difficult not to go there. I've been on the trail with the Atadero family, seen with my own eyes the steep incline the hikers decided to climb where they eventually found the clothing, and saw the rock where Jaryd allegedly had that conversation with the fishermen. Having that perspective really changed the way I viewed the case, and I can honestly say that it's difficult to look past the fishermen. I am not certain they had anything to do with it, but they were so close to potentially saving Jaryd. They'll likely never live that down, and I don't think the rest of the group faced enough scrutiny either. Does this make them guilty? No, and we shouldn't rush to that conclusion, but several members did some inconsistent things. However, everything in this case deserves a number of reexaminations to establish a tighter timeline of events.

The outreach organization I belong to will be returning to the canyon at some point and doing what we can to help the family find answers.

On a side note, I do want to thank most of you on this thread for not going down the paranormal road. It's a criminal case, and the discussion must remain that way. Thank you for helping to keep it on track.

I’m glad someone is helping the Ataderos with their sons case.I read up on it a long time ago and just came across his thread here.

Do you know if there’s been anymore information from the ranger at Mesa Verde ? That really has me wondering.

Glad you’re here, Welcome!

Listening to podcast, I can not believe those people took Jared an additional sixteen miles away to a completely different area without checking with his dad for permission. And then the woman who was supposed to watch him let him run ahead of them and don’t keep up with him?! OMG
And then when they come tell him he’s missing, it’s like pulling teeth.
I think they should be held responsible, criminally negligent, child abduction , something. JMO

And re his clothing , etc., why put them in that location so difficult to get to? Not just anyone could do that... I suppose maybe to make it look more like it was done by a mountain lion versus a human.

I’m still suspicious about the fishermen, I thought Jaryd just saw them and talked to them while they were fishing, didn’t realize he had actually walked with them until the road forked then they just let him keep on going. What is wrong with all the people in this story, it’s downright disturbing.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy
Back