CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to 9NEWS Reporter Kevin Torres a backpack with contents that had Jessica's name on it was found. Bloodhounds sniffed it out and are searching the area. Police are working to confirm if the backpack belonged to Jessica.
link

sitting right out on the sidewalk

My first thought was of the Cary Staynor case, where he took a wallet belonging to one of his victims and dropped it at an intersection in a town away from anywhere near where the victims were.

I hope LE is not committing 100% of their resources to this find.

I'm raging- I didn't buy into the whole be on alert at all times... my son is 9 and he walks to and from school everyday (5 minutes- small enough village in Ireland). The school wouldn't dream of ringing if a child didn't turn up. He doesn't have a phone. And if any parent sees a child misbehaving or sick or in need of a lift home etc they don't think twice about stepping in. I was happy enough to think how lucky my kids are to have a freedom I would have had in my youth when we went out in the morning and came home when we were hungry... And then poor April Jones goes missing- at 7pm out playing on her bike in an estate with all the kids about in a place where everyone knows everyone else- the EXACT kind of place I live. And now Jessica on her way to school at 8.30am? It makes me so ANGRY. How could anyone hurt a CHILD? I will gladly press the switch or hit the plunger on any convicted child murderer- sod their 'human rights'. If you want human rights- behave like a bloody human. Sorry for the rant. Praying that this girl will be found alive. I still wait for news daily on Brittney and Sierra :(

Well if it is her backpack and water bottle and she didn't put it there, hopefully there is some DNA on both.

I wonder if that's one of the reason's for the new set of dogs? Have they said when they were found?

Boulder County Dogs, their jurisdiction?

Sorry to mislead, did not realize you all on the front range did not get significant snow. I figured that would be a help in distinguishing if it had been out there for two days, darn... The investigators have their work cut out for them for sure. I for the life of me cannot think of why an abductor would throw out her bookbag that distance from her home. You would think it would either still be with her or concealed/thrown away. Very perplexing if it is hers. I am so praying this young lady is still alive and will be coming home....

Hi all, does anyone find the backpack and water bottle a sort of taunting from the perp or are they just now finding it and not a clue?

Just trying to catch up

btw, mom in love(law)is better today and hanging in there

Glad to hear of MIL..... :grouphug:

Yeah, I don't think this guy was being flippant or nefarious. He was just letting someone know the backpack was found.

But has he had his head in the sand all weekend? Her name has been plastered everywhere!!

Hey, surveys done in the last ten years have had results such as showing that over 40% of the people contacted couldn't name the vice president of the US.

Trying to notify everyone in an area more than about a single block is just incredibly difficult. There are always people who deliberately don't tune into the news because they need some down time, people who don't ever check the local news (online or via radio or TV), etc.

Good point, but some people think, and it's certainly possible, that this man did not even know that Jessica Ridgeway was a missing child.

ETA: NM, I see that it's been confirmed that he didn't know about the case.

That's kind of the point of my post - this man found the backpack and reported it. End of story. But it isn't the end of the story if his name becomes known, because people won't believe he didn't know about Jessica. Some will start speculating on why he found it and not someone else, and a neighbor four blocks over and three doors down thinks she recalls seeing him once talking to a young girl, or maybe it was a boy, or . . . .

That may sound far-fetched, but there is a particular case I follow here where the mods have had to work overtime to keep a lid on the speculation surrounding a man who reported seeing something. Rumors abound about this poor fellow, his past history has been dug up and posted on FB pages, and anyone Googling his name will now see all of this trash that has been posted about him.

So my point again is that I would anonymously report finding the backpack if I had no idea that it was important.

Boulder County Dogs, their jurisdiction?

Honestly Knox, I really haven't caught up enough to think about the counties. I just know they started out this am with a fresh group of dogs. I know that isn't uncommon but I wonder if the type of dogs they are using has changed?

I am betting you hit the nail on the head, I bet he did not realize it was a missing child.... Many do not watch television, and out of those that do, many do not watch the news. (How do you think they get a jury pool). I am guilty most times of not watching television, I can go weeks without ever turning it on. I have missed many major events, but never miss anything about "missing" because I frequent Websleuths. IMHO

Heck, we don't even have a TV. When TV went digital, we hadn't watched in so long that getting the converter just didn't make sense.

The only time we listen to the local radio station is when there is severe weather. We want to know when we should go out in the front yard with our cans of soda and videotape ourselves hollerin "hey, Clem, WATCH THIS!!!" <LOL>

There is a dirt road directly across from Christenson St/McCaslin in this view, beside a creek or ditch of some kind. That dirt road goes on for miles!

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qnph50672fbv&lvl=15&dir=0&sty=b&rtp=.39.889999_-105.112999_Chelsea%20Park,%20CO___e_~.39.934698_-105.165867_near%20McCaslin%20Blvd%20%26%20Christenson%20Ave,%20Louisville,%20CO%2080027___e_&mode=D&rtop=0~0~0~&form=LMLTCC

9News just had a news break. The man who found the backpack didn't know right away what the backpack was until he went through it and saw Jessica's name. At 1:23 pm he e-mailed LE.

Blood hound is now going through area after sniffing the bookbag.

The news break is still ongoing. http://www.9news.com/video/player_live_2.aspx

ETA: I see I was beaten to the post! Thanks Seek&Find!!

FYI... This article gives Jessica's dad's full name...

And I know he is considered a victim

JMO

Hey, surveys done in the last ten years have had results such as showing that over 40% of the people contacted couldn't name the vice president of the US.

Trying to notify everyone in an area more than about a single block is just incredibly difficult. There are always people who deliberately don't tune into the news because they need some down time, people who don't ever check the local news (online or via radio or TV), etc.

I don't think that not knowing who the VP is, is the same as not knowing about these cases. I can name quite a few cases, where way more than 40% of Americans have heard of it. There was even a poll back in 1997 where more Americans could recognize a picture of JBR than Al Gore. You're right that plenty of people don't watch the news. This man would only need to miss a few days of news. I find it more unusual when I hear about people in Portland who don't know who Kyron is, because you would think that they would eventually hear about it.

I'm sitting here on pins and needles waiting for the 5 pm newsbrief. Just got back from Sprouts and the Super Target here in Thornton on 120th. Jessica's flyer was posted on all the light posts.

It's a rec trail. I've not run on it, but I have friends who have run the open space there. (I haven't because they saw a rattlesnake the last time they ran it and that seemed like a good reason to stick to other trails.) It usually has a lot of runners, bikers and some walkers.

Sorry to mislead, did not realize you all on the front range did not get significant snow. I figured that would be a help in distinguishing if it had been out there for two days, darn... The investigators have their work cut out for them for sure. I for the life of me cannot think of why an abductor would throw out her bookbag that distance from her home. You would think it would either still be with her or concealed/thrown away. Very perplexing if it is hers. I am so praying this young lady is still alive and will be coming home....

If it turns out that the backpack was planted by the perpetrator, the motive is easy: it slows down the investigation, sucks resources from other areas that may be more dangerous for the perp and distracts people from where the relevant areas are.

In other words, the perp is trying to buy time and it could be is doing so very successfully.

IF this is Jessica's backpack and not a sick prank, it probably indicates that the perp has some sort of significant connection to the area around Jessica's home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke