CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just an unfortunate mix-up. The mother is raising the child on her own and trying to work the night shift. She got Jessica off to school and went to bed....then missed the school's call. No one did anything intentional or wrong....
I know everyone questions if more could have been done. But probably not.
Let's just keep praying for Jessica and her mom.

Hi guys
I'm just starting the thread so i know it's probably been answered already, but can someone tell me who stays w/ Jessica while her mom works at night?
Sorry..i know it's probably been talked about lots already.
Thanks.

Hi guys
I'm just starting the thread so i know it's probably been answered already, but can someone tell me who stays w/ Jessica while her mom works at night?
Sorry..i know it's probably been talked about lots already.
Thanks.

The grandmother.

we have 31 members and 63 viewing guests....care to join the conversation? We would love to hear from you all!!

There is to be no sleuthing of the family at this time, including Jessica's dad. If that changes, we will let you know.

For now - Dad is a victim and is not sleuthable.

Thanks,

Salem

The proportions of that bag don't look like a full size bag to me. That bag looks like my sons snack, rolled down the way I roll his down. We have large size lunch bags, and that looks about the right size.

I have no clue how I got here, thought I was in the P/L this whole time. Sorry.

Time to say goodnight.

I have no clue how I got here, thought I was in the P/L this whole time. Sorry.

Time to say goodnight.

It happens. Especially when having more than one window open and trying to read multiple threads here at once.

I don't know if you happened to look at a map of the immediate area from where Jessica went missing. She resides in what looks like a congested area. Front yards and drive ways appear to be about a car length deep/long between the front of the house and the street/sidewalk. Sidewalks look more like a wide curb and are alongside the street without any grassy area between the street and sidewalk.
After looking at a map of her neighborhood it's really hard to imagine/envision a stranger abduction.

The homes, yards, cars, sidewalk and street are all so close together it's really appears as if a stranger abduction would have to occur under someone's nose. I could be wrong, but from a map the area she walked looked very tight and she went missing within 3 blocks of her home.

Cubby, I honor your opinion. I never underestimate the lengths/risks a child predator will undertake to meet their deviant needs & desires. How many times have we read where child predators have plucked children such as Poly Klaas, or Elizabeth Smart, from the perceived safety of their beds, while their families slept nearby in another bedroom?

With that said, I am very impressed with the professionalism and media management of the Westminister PD. Hopefully they have invited in the available resources of the US Marshals and the FBI, etc. Time is very critical in child abduction cases. I think that we are all aware of the statistics..

Imo, the location of the backpack outside the primary search radius may indicate an experienced predator with knowledge of Law Enforcement strategies & SOP's in child abduction investigations. Normally, the disposing of personal items of the victim in another LE Jurisdiction by a predator indicates the intent of jurisdictional linkage blindness. If not for the community email communication system and the aware citizen. Jessica's backpack may have never been reported to be found.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/non-family-abductions

Non-Family Child Abductions
It’s a fearsome thought: a child snatched by a stranger. Who investigates these crimes? We do. It’s our job to handle cases of child abductions, often working closely with state and local law enforcement.

Introducing the CARD Teams

Child abductions by strangers are often complex and high-profile cases. And time is of the essence.

That’s why we’ve added another tool in our Crimes Against Children program that helps our local field offices in these cases: our Child Abduction Rapid Deployment, or CARD, Teams.
read more-

On the news they were showing the bag and it was HUGE. Much larger than a grocery bag. Almost a leaf-bag size (that time of year here, too. Lots of people buying those to rake leaves.)

I hope it was an evidence bag because that seems considerably less creepy. But I could've sworn the news said that was how the backpack was found-in the paper bag. I could be wrong or misheard. but if the backpack was in the paper bag, and placed on the sidewalk like that to draw attention, then this person is messing with the LE, IMO. And that scares me to death.

On the news they were showing the bag and it was HUGE. Much larger than a grocery bag. Almost a leaf-bag size (that time of year here, too. Lots of people buying those to rake leaves.)

I hope it was an evidence bag because that seems considerably less creepy. But I could've sworn the news said that was how the backpack was found-in the paper bag. I could be wrong or misheard. but if the backpack was in the paper bag, and placed on the sidewalk like that to draw attention, then this person is messing with the LE, IMO. And that scares me to death.

what channel?

TIA

When she was old enough to drive, if she walked anywhere after dark, she talked to me on the cell phone while she was walking. She told me if she stopped talking during the walk, to call the police!

OT: It's awesome that you raised such a smart and cautious daughter. However, when I was in university, we had a safety talk during orientation, and we were told NEVER to talk on our cell phones while walking somewhere alone at night. It might seem safer to have someone right there on the other line, but the distraction of carrying on a conversation could be enough to keep you from noticing someone lurking about waiting to do you harm.

(Not trying to nitpick you or your daughter, just a thought.)

Seriously. I'm still here trying to figure out how I got here. Very strange.
Hope tomorrow brings good news for Jessica and her family.

Me neither, Woe.be.gone, but it is good to see you & other websleuthers.
Now that I think about it, it was due to the awareness spread by MARC KLAAS JOINS US TONIGHT - 8 PM EASTERN ON TRICIA'S TRUE CRIME RADIO..

The news report from channel 9 (http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1884782568001) says that the man saw the backpack at around 1, but it's an area full of kids and he didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until morning, when nobody came back for it, that he and the other neighbor looked at it and sent out the email, thinking it just belonged to one of the neighborhood kids. That's why the flip tone to the email. As soon as they realized it was serious, they called the cops. (Paraphrasing the news report)
The reporter in the video you linked to makes the comment about the neighborhood being full of kids. That may be a synopsis of comments by neighbors. In the link below, a neighbor of the man, CW, said she also saw the backpack at 8:15 a.m. Sunday and didn't think anything of it because children's bikes and toys are often left about the neighborhood. Someone asked how the man who believes the backpack had been there since 1:00 a.m. would know that. I'm just saying that he probably saw the backpack from inside his house but, being dark at that hour, couldn't tell what it was.

The perp probably waited until late to place the backpack there so no one would notice. If the man who later sent the email was already in bed, I wonder if something woke him up - like the sound of a car door or a car driving away. The perp was taking a big chance disposing of the backpack in a residential neighborhood.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...eway-still-no-clues-after-3-days-of-searching
~snipped~
Christine Wiedinmyer told the (Boulder) Daily Camera that the original tip was e-mailed by one of her neighbors, and she, too, saw the backpack on the sidewalk around 8:15 Sunday morning as she was headed out. She said it didn't really strike her at first because there often are children's bikes or toys left about in the neighborhood.

what channel?

TIA

The link I gave, Post # 1014 is a news channel, click on the first video on left, it shows the paper bag clearly being large and also mentions backpack found inside paperbag. HTH

At first I thought the bag looked the size of a lunch bag, but looking at your photo attachment it looks much bigger. Looking at the bag in relation to the size of the sidewalk it looks to be the size of a brown paper grocery bag, not a lunch size bag.

Exactly my first and second impressions, too!

Maybe the man who found the backpack was asked by LE to place in paper bag so that public couldn't see it?

Just a thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member