CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...rait-jessica-ridgeway-suspects-family-emerges

Enigmatic portrait of Jessica Ridgeway suspect's family emerges
POSTED: 10/28/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT

White paint has chipped away from the eaves, the garage doors have been battered by wear, and the roof looks frayed around the edges. But it's the yellow police tape that sets the two-story house on West 102nd Avenue apart from its neighbors.

Neighbors recalled that when Mindy and Rob Sigg first moved onto the block in 1996, they renovated the entire house — even adding a swimming pool, a rare feature on the middle-class street that includes families who have lived there for 30 years.

Read more: Enigmatic portrait of Jessica Ridgeway suspect's family emerges - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...idgeway-suspects-family-emerges#ixzz2AkoY7287

Calling their swimming pool a rare feature makes me think it's an in-the-ground pool because those are indeed rare but I do not see a pool in their backyard :waitasec:

I'm not sure what the point is ... these were all reported. (And I'm not sure if I misunderstand what was said in OP about "this particular area of Colorado," because that list stretches far and wide, from Westminster to Pueblo is over 100 miles.)

Anyway, yes, maybe some better coordination should be happening. I'm not an expert. And as we've seen in the past few weeks, some reports are misunderstandings, so I can understand why police don't go overboard on things (the same reason it takes longer to issues Amber Alerts for teenagers, desensitization).

I agree that some of the attempted abductions listed are no where close to Westminter, Arvada or the Denver-metro area. I do know that Jeffco schools sent home letters to the parents of several elementary schools, including Witt, about the two attempted abductions in Arvada that occurred in Sept. We are in Jeffco and while we homeschool, we still receive correspondence from the district. We received both an email and phone call about those incidents. So, I'm sure Jessica's mom received something as well.

I'm not sure what the point is ... these were all reported. (And I'm not sure if I misunderstand what was said in OP about "this particular area of Colorado," because that list stretches far and wide, from Westminster to Pueblo is over 100 miles.)

Anyway, yes, maybe some better coordination should be happening. I'm not an expert. And as we've seen in the past few weeks, some reports are misunderstandings, so I can understand why police don't go overboard on things (the same reason it takes longer to issues Amber Alerts for teenagers, desensitization).

pinto, it is vital that police jurisdictions communicate with each other and the communities that they serve..

There is only one resource that is available to Law Enforcement that combats jurisdictional linkage blindness; the American Public.. It is a free resource.. why would it not be utilized?

Amber Alerts for teenagers; another hot topic for another day; Ali Lowitzer; listed as a runaway 04/2010, by the Harris County Sheriffs Dept., TX:

http://www.alexandrialowitzer.com/
Texas Cold Case May Have Links to Serial Killer Brandon Scott Lavergne ...(LA)
www.klfy.com/.../texas-cold-case-may-have-links-to-brandon-scott-l...Aug 15, 2012 – On April 26th, 2010, 15-year-old Ali Lowitzer went missing near her home in Spring, Texas. She seemed to have vanished without a trace and ...

I certainly would not dare to speak for Jessica's mom because hind sight is always 20/20 in every circumstance.

That predator from May 2012 attacked an adult female. As far as we know he did not attack anyone else since that date (at least no others that have been connected). People tend to let down their guard after the immediate threat of danger has passed. People tend to disregard a predator's target could change even though they typically don't alter them.

It's like knowing statistically there is a greater risk to driving a car than flying but the odds of surviving a car crash are higher than from a plane crash. Will you still take that family vacation across the country? Will you drive or fly?

There is no "safe" place but you can take steps to be more self-aware and vigilant without living in a bubble. I will worry about my son's safety until the day I die but I won't let my fears hold either of us hostage.

there had been 2 attempted abductions in Arvada the month before JR went missing and all schools in the district sent out warning letters to parents. so, they did know.

Hmm, that is interesting. Pools are pretty rare here so I don't know anyone who has one. Our summer season is fairly short and there isn't enough time to swim to justify the expense of a pool. Has there been a pic showing if the pool was above ground or in the ground?

Yeah, as an adult when my husband and I had one and had to take care of the thing (above ground) we got rid of it within a few years, even here where there's a long swimming season. It's expensive and frankly a giant pain in the *** to take care of. I loved the pool we had as a kid when I didn't have to take care of it of course lol.

In terms of the pool at AS' house, it looked like it was in-ground to me, but it was also very squared off on the sides/edges which suggests to me either a pretty "basic" inground pool, or an above ground one that's set up in-ground (I've only ever seen them with decks built around them, not buried in dirt, but I can see where someone might bury it as sort of a semi-prefab in-ground pool).

From the pics I saw (trying to find a link again, may fall asleep before I do but I'll look for a few more min :) ) it looked like what we'd refer to locally as a 'base model' type in-ground pool. Rectangle, basic color, basic tile around the edges. Most of the in-ground ones I've seen the pool owners opted for curvy edges and darker concrete bottom, but of course that's a pretty limited sampling. For the record this isn't meant to be anything negative about the family's pool, from the little bit I've read it sounds like it was kind of a luxury for people in the area to have one at all, I'm just trying to figure out what they have/had and how likely it was to be full or empty. As gross as it is, if it is/was empty it seems like an ideal place to commit part of the crime.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...rait-jessica-ridgeway-suspects-family-emerges

Enigmatic portrait of Jessica Ridgeway suspect's family emerges
POSTED: 10/28/2012 12:01:00 AM MDT

White paint has chipped away from the eaves, the garage doors have been battered by wear, and the roof looks frayed around the edges. But it's the yellow police tape that sets the two-story house on West 102nd Avenue apart from its neighbors.

Neighbors recalled that when Mindy and Rob Sigg first moved onto the block in 1996, they renovated the entire house — even adding a swimming pool, a rare feature on the middle-class street that includes families who have lived there for 30 years.

Read more: Enigmatic portrait of Jessica Ridgeway suspect's family emerges - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...idgeway-suspects-family-emerges#ixzz2AkoY7287

Thanks for finding this! I'm not crazy. Or not on this point anyway lol. I knew I'd seen they had a pool. I was figuring it's probably inground, because I just can't picture an above-ground pool as a "rare feature," but I thought that might be a result of living in a very warm part of California.

I know this is OT and probably over discussed by now, but I was in the tub earlier when I read this and it's rather hard to reply from there, so I wanted to respond to this.

First, it is just as unfair to stereotype home schoolers as it is kids who dress "goth." I believe that was a concern of yours in a previous post/thread. There are also many varied reasons why people have turned to this. I home school my four children.... 7th, 5th, and 4th graders and a kindergartener. ;) I assumed that if I was sending my children to public school, and they were making all A's and had above average SAT scores, that they were learning in school what I learned and they must be doing fine. However, I was incorrect in this assumption. Standardized testing has run a muck in our local school, and only math and reading are being taught to elementary aged children. No science, no history except state history in 5th grade. Two years ago, when I took my children out, my very high achieving oldest son had never been taught what adverbs, adjectives, prepositions or prepositional phrases, outlines, topic sentences, Roman Numerals, photosynthesis, or any geography other than the immediate 50 states and didn't even know all those. None of my children could tell me the seven continents or name the major bodies of water. They had never been taught about animal kingdoms or classifications, or even animal

RESPECTFULLY snipped for space..... I never knew how much joy I was missing out on by sending them to school every day. They continually amaze me, and I personally think I have the most rewarding, selfless, non-monetarily compensated job there ever was.

You are the ultimate in a homeschooling parent. You are doing a tremendous job and your kids will be better off for the experience.

What I think the other poster was talking about is the opposite type of homeschoolers. I have experienced some very subpar homeschool 'teachers.' And since I had a job as a tutor for 'at risk' students, I experienced first hand, what that meant for many of them. Lots of the 'homeschooled' kids could barely read and had major deficits in their knowledge base. There were some parents who were too lazy or disorganized to do the job. And their kids paid the price.

There were also some kids who had very little social interactions with their peers. They did not have parents who took them to the extracurriculars that you have described. I met some kids who usually only interacted with their siblings and had almost no social lives.

I think what you are describing is the 'new' homeschooling option. It seems like a modified version as you take them on Fridays to a large 'school' of their classmates.

Don't you hate the sound of that wind. It never stops. Thunder and lightning don't bother me, but that wind is awful and drives me nuts. jmo

The tornadoes and storms are the worst, but back in the 80's a norther blew in and the wind roared for at least 24 hours. Then it was ice and temps in the single digits. It was awful. I just can't stand the constant roar. Feel for you. Never realized the winds were that bad out there. Yes,, prayers for all those effected by hurricane. There are so many.

I'm with ya, mck!
Hurricane Fran came right up the middle of Raleigh NC, in 1996, (where I was then & am now) and she was a Category 3 (120 mph gusts). We live in a heavily wooded area and we got to where we could tell the difference when a pine tree fell -- they crack in two and then fall -- and when an oak fell -- a loud & heavy thud since the entire tree falls, roots & all. The wind would come rushing at us & subside -- somewhere between 80mph and holy-s*** mph, and we'd think "Whew, it's finally gone." Then it would come whooshing back, and we'd tense up again and listen for another tree to fall. One big oak got our new Chevy Tahoe -- broke that car's back. That's when I went to sleep. What a night. No power for days, but the days were long and it wasn't cold like when the ice storms come.

We all just humans down here, trying to get along -- right?!
icon7.gif
icon9.gif
icon12.gif
icon11.gif
icon6.gif

Ya think Jessica's mom was aware that a sexual predator was active in Westminister since May 2012? Would she have allowed Jessica to walk to school or to the park on 10/05/2012, if she had known?
Awareness is the key to prevention...

she was aware. there were stranger danger warning letters sent home to all kids in the school district.

Could be but I just can't make out a pool. If there is one tucked back there, it must be on the smaller side.

Darn it, I KNOW I saw one. It didn't look huge, but not tiny... I was guessing 10-15,000 gallons. Can't believe I can't find the pic now. I was sooo on my way to bed but now this is driving me nuts, so I'll try a little longer to find it.

Darn it, I KNOW I saw one. It didn't look huge, but not tiny... I was guessing 10-15,000 gallons. Can't believe I can't find the pic now. I was sooo on my way to bed but now this is driving me nuts, so I'll try a little longer to find it.

Oh no, go to bed! There is always time to find it later. I've not seen a pic yet that shows the pool but I saw a pool listed on the property details that Otto (I think) posted so I think there must be one. No worries! Thanks for trying to find the pic.

slightly OT... but "ridge" was one of my son's spelling words today, and he said, "Just like Jessica RIDGEway." :( :( :( :( :( :(

So sad that he only knows her name because some monster took her precious life. She should be studying spelling words, too. :sob:

I put the address of AS home into google maps and I think the pool is in that back corner behind the neighbor's shed. That yard is a lot bigger than I thought it was...or at least it extends over pretty far.

ETA: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1062...oid=jeKZma44GD1Y9cra1xfluw&cbp=12,185.74,,0,0

Oh no, go to bed! There is always time to find it later. I've not seen a pic yet that shows the pool but I saw a pool listed on the property details that Otto (I think) posted so I think there must be one. No worries! Thanks for trying to find the pic.

Think I'm gonna have to take your advice here :). I'll try again tomorrow to find it if someone doesn't beat me to it. G'night all.

I put the address of AS home into google maps and I think the pool is in that back corner behind the neighbor's shed. That yard is a lot bigger than I thought it was...or at least it extends over pretty far.

ETA: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1062...oid=jeKZma44GD1Y9cra1xfluw&cbp=12,185.74,,0,0

OK one more quick post - yeah, the article mentioned a motorhome and personal watercraft that used to be there too. I think the property's fairly large, just from those reports and guessing from the pics.

As to the attempted abduction in Aurora, The Aurora PD have stated they think it was an isolated event and unrelated to ANY other cases.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...a-police-think-attempted-abduction-at-bar-was

Also, I would imagine the victim from that event who seemed pretty aware of what was going on would have asked if her abductors match AS's description. I haven't heard anything like that. But because of the gag order, maybe we wouldn't hear it even if there was such an identification. Of course maybe we will learn if AS will face any other charges when he is in court later on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member