Found Deceased CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know who the 15 year old is, so we don't know his circumstances.

I was responding to the NPR piece on positive reinforcement as a possible effective treatment for psychopathic treatment and my phone didn't quote/reply to to my previous post like I'd intended. My apologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To rephrase, it is unlikely the perp is a psychopath and more likely he is disturbed in other ways due to a lack of discipline, attention, identity and success. JMO

I'm wondering what makes you suspect that? Because just considering the savagery of the murder (which is not like a gun shot that's quick and can be done form a distance; This is up close, very personal and super gory), it seems far outside the realm of what most emotionally disturbed kids are capable of. But I'm not an expert on that.

We don't know who the 15 year old is, so we don't know his circumstances.

So, do you think the 15 year old boy who murdered her is not the 15 year old boy last seen with her?

MOO

Have a somewhat "Philip Chism" vibe about Kiaya's killer.
Broken beyond repair.
And the initial reports about her body were from msm and were described as gruesome.
My .02 is that her murder took some time; and was not a quick death for this precious child. :(

:(

Teen connected to Kiaya Campbell's death to appear in court this week

An investigation like this happens when human services becomes aware of what the state calls "an egregious incident of abuse," neglect, near fatality or fatality involving a child. In Kiaya's case, she was already known to social services before her death.

9NEWS is looking into the extent social services was involved in her life.

http://www.9news.com/mb/news/crime/...-death-to-appear-in-court-this-week/448152244

I am finding this all a bit strange. There are horrific cases on this site, that haven't caused so much outrage when they are committed by grown men.
No one knows at this stage whether the older child is psychopath or what led to the murder.

I would think that being 15 was a mitigating factor not increased criminality.

Hypothetically and generally speaking, the accused has not been named. MSM has reported a 15 yo boy was arrested in Kiaya's murder. He was in court today.

You said "definitely" so I assumed you knew who you were talking about, and some facts about him.

I am finding this all a bit strange. There are horrific cases on this site, that haven't caused so much outrage when they are committed by grown men.
No one knows at this stage whether the older child is psychopath or what led to the murder.

I would think that being 15 was a mitigating factor not increased criminality.

I've noticed it too, and wonder what it's about. Maybe we have such and idealized version of what children should be it throws our brains off when they aren't that.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, otto. I think we are saying similar things but see them in very different ways

Without saying how, I have seen and dealt with psychopaths first hand and in varying age groups so that as well as years of study, form my view

I haven't knowingly dealt with antisocial personality disorder patients at any time in my life, but I do read too much. Antisocial Personality Disorder is the new term, and DSM 5 is the most recent manual (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

:(

Teen connected to Kiaya Campbell's death to appear in court this week

An investigation like this happens when human services becomes aware of what the state calls "an egregious incident of abuse," neglect, near fatality or fatality involving a child. In Kiaya's case, she was already known to social services before her death.

9NEWS is looking into the extent social services was involved in her life.

http://www.9news.com/mb/news/crime/...-death-to-appear-in-court-this-week/448152244

IMO child services/CPS is often involved in cases of divorce, I've had female friends with children temporarily removed when they reported to police or sought medical treatment after physical domestic abuse.

I've also known them to be involved for many, normal childhood accidents.

The issue with cognitive development is that a "normal"/neurotypical person, they understand at a pretty young age 5+ish that if they hurt someone it's not okay and if something is dead it's bad and they aren't coming back. The developmental timing can cause poor judgement in teens, i.e. I can make this drive home drunk, I'm invincible. Not I can kill this child and all will be fine for everyone.

This makes sense to me. So could it be that the lack of frontal lobe development in a teen may enable them to commit serious crimes when coupled with other factors, but not all on its own? Like being a budding psychopath?

I think if there is a realistic chance of rehabilitation, a minor should have that option. I also agree with those who believe society must be protected, however. So I would favor juvenile prisons that include intensive rehab/treatment that a person can stay in until age 21-26. After that, depending on the seriousness of their crime and whether treatment was successful, they can either be released or sent to prison to serve additional time or complete their sentences.

But perhaps the end goal of intensive treatment can only be that it will help them become better humans and allow them to live in prison as a better human, with more peace in their minds. Because ultimately, the life of their next, innocent victim has to be more important than theirs if this is the kind of teen criminal who has committed a particularly heinous crime, and/or shows signs of being a psychopath.

I am in favor of rehab for kids. I believe that most kids can be helped. I also believe that there are people, even young people, who are too dangerous to be in society and society's protection should be more important than their welfare.

We shall see in this case.

What was John Hinckley Jr? He was 25 years old he when shot and wounded President Reagan and, and he was released last year to live with his ninety year old mother. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity and sent to a mental hospital for thirty five years, has received the "maximum amount of benefits" they could give him , and "he realized what he did was wrong and is sorry". Yeah that makes it better.

I've noticed it too, and wonder what it's about. Maybe we have such and idealized version of what children should be it throws our brains off when they aren't that.

Or maybe it is because while we protect our kids from the threat of strangers or whatever, we typically assume they'll be safe with a sibling or step-sibling or other, young relation or whatever. And when a child is harmed by a kid like that, it shakes our sense of safety and thus cases rage.

I also think sometimes people can double down on opinions and become even more entrenched and passionate when their opinions are challenged.

You said "definitely" so I assumed you knew who you were talking about, and some facts about him.

I'm running under the assumption that the unnamed, arrested suspect is the unnamed teen of the same age and sex as the last person known to be with Kiaya. All my opinion as someone who now has and has had and will have daughters this age and is constantly devastated by what I see happening to these children.

Or maybe it is because while we protect our kids from the threat of strangers or whatever, we typically assume they'll be safe with a sibling or step-sibling or other, young relation or whatever. And when a child is harmed by a kid like that, it shakes our sense of safety and thus cases rage.

I also think sometimes people can double down on opinions and become even more entrenched and passionate when their opinions are challenged.

BBM: Yes, I agree. That's part of what I was trying to say.

The first part - I think I assume everyone here knows children are more likely to be hurt, abused, or murdered by someone they know than by a stranger and don't think it's uncommon the someone is younger than 18.

I'm running under the assumption that the unnamed, arrested suspect is the unnamed teen of the same age and sex as the last person known to be with Kiaya. All my opinion as someone who now has and has had and will have daughters this age and is constantly devastated by what I see happening to these children.

JMO but we don't know enough about him to point out particulars of his situation.

http://kdvr.com/2017/06/12/teen-accused-of-killing-10-year-old-thornton-girl-appears-in-court/

Teen accused of killing 10-year-old Thornton girl appears in court

The suspect's parents were in attendance for the hearing.

His mother kept her sunglasses on.

His father was wearing a crucifix on a chain around his neck. He waved it in front the news media and said "Jesus" before entering court.

He later read from a bible while waiting for his very boyish-looking son to appear for the detention hearing.

That may be so but unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon. If anything the mental health system has become more and more broken and IMO no longer provides troubled youth the treatment that may very well rehabilitate them. Budget cuts and dwindling numbers of available hospital beds have led to institutions keeping patients for shorter amounts of time, nowhere near what would be needed for adequate treatment.

In 1983 an adopted 12-year-old boy, Kenny White, lived a few blocks away from me in Kendall Florida. One day he shot his mother and brother. Miami authorities decided to provide him with intense, long-term treatment at a private mental health facility, St. Albans, in Virginia. Here is his story (the articles are long):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-09-10/features/8903020457_1_kenny-military-school-mother
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-10-03/features/9309170554_1_murderer-experiment-kenny

A total of $600,000 was spent on Kenny's treatment at a time when the average budget per youthful offender was about $13,000. As of 1999 Kenny seems to have graduated college, found employment and has stayed out of jail, making his story a success.

However, it's impossible to repeat what authorities did for Kenny today. That $600,000 is more like $1,484,213 in today's money. And the 162-bed St. Albans has been closed and abandoned. In it's place is a new 36-bed mental health clinic.

Currently there just aren't many options for troubled kids and so until the juvenile system is revamped, with more funds and hospital beds available, I'm afraid the alternative is to keep these kids in detention for as long as possible to protect society and try to provide them with at least some sort of therapy. It may not be the best solution or even the right solution but I don't see anything better.

http://extras.denverpost.com/mentalillness/index.html
http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/...ystem-families-struggle-to-find-quality-care/

Wooooow....to revisit journalism from that era is a thrill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth