Found Deceased CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me so much of Madyson Middleton's murder. Her murderer had groomed her and tricked her and then even helped in the search for her. The whole thing was scary and disturbing.

I imagine this was the same sort of thing in many ways.

Campbell was reported missing Wednesday night. Her body was found the next day about 1.5 miles from her father's house. Investigators said her body had signs of severe trauma, though the coroner was unable to establish an exact cause of death.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/1...teen-arrested-in-10-year-old-girls-death.html

(bbm)

I just read this, looking for the gruesome quote:

The coroner has not released the exact cause of death but did confirm it was "other than accidental," according to KDVR.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...death-of-10-year-old-kiaya-campbell/22137822/

Psychiatric wards accomplish that for mentally ill people.

Going round in circles, but again, not if the killer is a psychopath. They are not ill. It is not an illness

Also, as another posted helpfully, there is no finite sentence in a psych facility. Psychopaths are also masters of manipulation and would be able to manipulate people into thinking they are 'cured'/have remorse etc etc. It happens all the time and I've seen them do it first hand. Again, not saying any of this is true of the boy until details are released

Psychology is founded on the assumption that it is possible to treat and modify abnormal behavior, and psychiatry on treating chemical imbalances in the brain that relate to abnormal behavior. If neither profession can successfully modify the behavior of a child, then both are a complete fail.

Part of that success relies on wanting to change. No amount of therapy will help if you like killing. No amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that is you cannot put 'finite' sentences upon a patient's hospital stay.

We just saw that with the stabbings of two young children by their grandmother---a woman who had been recently released by a mental hospital:

A California woman suspected of fatally stabbing her 18-month-old granddaughter and wounding her daughter and another young granddaughter spent nearly a decade in a state psychiatric hospital and outpatient treatment program before a jury ruled in 2015 that her sanity had been restored.

Nicole Darrington-Clark, 43, was sent to the psychiatric facility after being found not guilty by reason of insanity in the stabbing of her 14-year-old son and throwing of her 10-year-old daughter out of a moving minivan in 2005.

The daughter was the same one who was stabbed Monday, according to police.

Darrington-Clark was transferred to an outpatient facility several years later, and two years ago a Los Angeles County Superior Court jury found that her sanity had been restored, which meant she no longer required court-mandated psychiatric treatment.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-seek-grandma-suspected-stabbings-killed-baby-47857758

So this woman did horrible things to her children in an attempt to kill them, was sent to a psych hospital, and then 10 yrs later, she is out and she goes and kills the grand baby and tried to kill the rest of the family too.

So sending someone to the psych ward is not always that safe an option. imo

A 15 year old child who commits murder, and who is not fixable, should be committed to psychiatric ward for life.

A 15 year old child who commits murder, and who is not fixable, should be committed to psychiatric ward for life.

Why? What do you think the difference of 3 years between 15 and 18 makes? I'm not being obtuse, I genuinely don't comprehend the thought process or what magically happens when you turn 18

I wonder if he was at the vigil yesterday like GG was in Jenise's case, all the time being watched, or if he was already in temporary custody being interrogated at the time.

I think the police searching nearby during the vigil may have been to apply pressure, because a news article reported the police tape came down after the vigil.

Is there a link to "gruesome and inhumane"?

If he is a lost cause, then I what is the point of punishment? After 40 years, he will still be a lost cause, so 40 years of punishment will not accomplish anything except pure punishment, which would amount to cruelty since there is no outcome except to inflict pain. That doesn't make any sense to me. It's like punishing a mentally ill child for being mentally ill and a child.

Sometimes, people need to be kept away from society for the safety of society. Whether that is "punishment" is not really the point, Imo.

Detention hearing today. 15 yo and his family representatives present.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...case-from-amber-alert-to-murder-investigation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the timeline from the above link:

1d58e026df474907692ab9c4fb6e722c.jpg

71d9a694e34fa452410f742301e0669e.jpg

f0878eeb340fcd9efb883f0b7df7a01c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been thinking the same thing. For some reason I never suspected SA. I think it was gruesome though. :(

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Possible also that if there was SA it was as a result of excitement from the killing :(

Why? What do you think the difference of 3 years between 15 and 18 makes? I'm not being obtuse, I genuinely don't comprehend the thought process or what magically happens when you turn 18

It's not about magic, it's about science. Read about cognitive development. Here's one suggestion:

" Behavioral results indicated that adult-like ability to inhibit prepotent responses matured gradually through childhood and adolescence. Functional MRI results indicated that brain activation in frontal, parietal, striatal, and thalamic regions increased progressively from childhood to adulthood. Prefrontal cortex was more active in adolescents than in children or adults; adults demonstrated greater activation in the lateral cerebellum than younger subjects. These results suggest that efficient top-down modulation of reflexive acts may not be fully developed until adulthood and provide evidence that maturation of function across widely distributed brain regions lays the groundwork for enhanced voluntary control of behavior during cognitive development."

Luna, B., Thulborn, K. R., Munoz, D. P., Merriam, E. P., Garver, K. E., Minshew, N. J., ... & Sweeney, J. A. (2001). Maturation of widely distributed brain function subserves cognitive development. Neuroimage, 13(5), 786-793.

If he is a lost cause, then I what is the point of punishment? After 40 years, he will still be a lost cause, so 40 years of punishment will not accomplish anything except pure punishment, which would amount to cruelty since there is no outcome except to inflict pain. That doesn't make any sense to me. It's like punishing a mentally ill child for being mentally ill and a child.

On one hand I think a compassionate person would want to hold an (allegedly) mentally ill teenager culpable for their actions within a reasonable, humane structure of sanctions. On the other I'm also wary of framing it as solely a punishment because they're supposedly evil and should know better.

However there are some persons who have to be separated from the rest of society permanently due to their inability to control themselves. Whether it was abuse/neglect that contributed to the teen's conduct and/or some biological/genetic deficiency doesn't really matter. Sometimes you just have to lock people up for the good of the community.

It sounds harsh but that's the way I see it. Sometimes people are indeed incurable and there's just not much you can do to change them.

I can't comment here in a professional capacity so I'll just say that I wouldn't wish a psychiatric ward on anyone, sex offenders can be rehabilitated (rehabilitated tends to mean they have learned to acknowledge their illness and cope with it in "healthy" and unharmful ways) and finally, that we do not yet know enough about the human brain to fully determine whether or not psychopathy can be reversed. It is undoubtedly due to a combination of genetic pre-disposition, and the millions of experiences we encounter which form our personalities, decision making skills, judgements and self-image. After all, it is merely a label we give to people whom we deem intelligent, lucid and "evil", failing to realize that the world looks very different to everyone with a measurable brain disorder.

<modsnip>

As I mentioned in my original post, you need to listen to the video at the link. There is much more information in the video than there is in the article.

I took the time to watch the video, and there is no description of the child being found face down in a ditch, or of the murder being gruesome. Don't worry about it ... the facts will come out at some point.

If you're going for cognitive development, there's plenty of research to show the brain doesn't fully form until mid-20s, however there is no scientific fact that from 15 to 18 anybody will go from 'I didn't see why I shouldn't kill an innocent 10 year old' to 'I really should not have caused 'severe trauma' to anybody'. The digits don't matter; the person/individual does. If this had been a case of the 15 year old telling the 10 year old to get lost and she then actually, inadvertently, did and the whole situation was down to immaturity, it would be a different story. Unfortunately for all involved, it's not

There is a ton of false reporting on this case. Not surprised. The timelines are not even correct. I live here and it did not even rain until 1030pm that night. Her dad said they left at 8pm, yet the news says 7pm.. very frustrating..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99