Found Deceased CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
40 years before parole sounds "harsh". So does brutal murder.
I think this monster deserves the death penalty.

15 years old is old enough to know damn well what you're doing, fgs !

He does not need to be coddled and asked by psychiatrists if his accommodations are satisfactory, or if his meals are to his specification.
At the very least-- he needs to be thrown into a cell and never allowed to be free.

Why should he ever get to have a life ?
Kiaya will never see a beautiful sunset or laugh with friends.

This 15 year old is an unspeakable filth who knew exactly what he was doing. He could have stopped at any time and let her live !!!!!!

:moo:

I'm with you. And in case anyone gets up in arms and says "but who could execute this boy???" I'll say it: I could do it. Without one moment of hesitation. Creatures like this do not deserve to walk amongst us or even be in jail where they can continue their predatory behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're going for cognitive development, there's plenty of research to show the brain doesn't fully form until mid-20s, however there is no scientific fact that from 15 to 18 anybody will go from 'I didn't see why I shouldn't kill an innocent 10 year old' to 'I really should not have caused 'severe trauma' to anybody'. The digits don't matter; the person/individual does. If this had been a case of the 15 year old telling the 10 year old to get lost and she then actually, inadvertently, did and the whole situation was down to immaturity, it would be a different story. Unfortunately for all involved, it's not

It is about cognitive development, and that is why children are children, and adults are adults. At a certain point, cognitive development is as advanced as it's going to be - as an adult. You are most welcome to ignore research, but that doesn't mean that the research is not relevant.

Is there a link to "gruesome and inhumane"?

If he is a lost cause, then I what is the point of punishment? After 40 years, he will still be a lost cause, so 40 years of punishment will not accomplish anything except pure punishment, which would amount to cruelty since there is no outcome except to inflict pain. That doesn't make any sense to me. It's like punishing a mentally ill child for being mentally ill and a child.
He'll be locked up somewhere. Hell be miserable no matter where it is.He ruined his life the moment he decided to end anothers. It may be a waste, but it was his life he wasted. If we didn't have severe punishment for severe crimes people would be more inclined to commit them

<modsnip>

To rephrase, it is unlikely the perp is a psychopath and more likely he is disturbed in other ways due to a lack of discipline, attention, identity and success. JMO

I took the time to watch the video, and there is no description of the child being found face down in a ditch, or of the murder being gruesome. Don't worry about it ... the facts will come out at some point.

I just checked and they have replaced the original video that I watched with a new video about Kiaya's vigil.

I can assure you that I heard what I heard and that I did not get my information from Facebook.

I have no idea why they changed out the video that was originally presented with the article.

I just checked and they have replaced the original video that I watched with a new video about Kiaya's vigil.

I can assure you that I heard what I heard and that I did not get my information from Facebook.

I have no idea why they changed out the video that was originally presented with the article.

My guess is LE asked them to remove any description of the scene

It is about cognitive development, and that is why children are children, and adults are adults. At a certain point, cognitive development is as advanced as it's going to be - as an adult. You are most welcome to ignore research, but that doesn't mean that the research is not relevant.

I don't really understand your response at all. I didn't disagree with you. I expanded saying that there is plenty of research - agreeing with what you posted - saying that brains aren't fully formed until mid-20s. All I'm saying is there isn't a magic number of developing that 'maturity', which in the eyes of the law is 18 and that is only 3 years off the detainees age currently.

As I said, it's about the individual

[video=twitter;874429403337416705]https://twitter.com/9NEWS/status/874429403337416705[/video]

I don't really understand your response at all. I didn't disagree with you. I expanded saying that there is plenty of research - agreeing with what you posted - saying that brains aren't fully formed until mid-20s. All I'm saying is there isn't a magic number of developing that 'maturity', which in the eyes of the law is 18 and that is only 3 years off the detainees age currently.

As I said, it's about the individual

What I'm saying is that research shows that there are magic numbers such as age that are directly related to cognitive development, and that is why a 15 year old is a child who should be judged in the context of childhood. If he's going to be viewed as an adult, and he has the right to be judged by a jury of his peers, should he be judged by a jury of 15 year olds? If not, it that because 15 year olds do not have the cognitive sophistication to sit on a jury and make the correct reasonable decisions?

A 15 year old child who commits murder, and who is not fixable, should be committed to psychiatric ward for life.

That may be so but unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon. If anything the mental health system has become more and more broken and IMO no longer provides troubled youth the treatment that may very well rehabilitate them. Budget cuts and dwindling numbers of available hospital beds have led to institutions keeping patients for shorter amounts of time, nowhere near what would be needed for adequate treatment.

In 1983 an adopted 12-year-old boy, Kenny White, lived a few blocks away from me in Kendall Florida. One day he shot his mother and brother. Miami authorities decided to provide him with intense, long-term treatment at a private mental health facility, St. Albans, in Virginia. Here is his story (the articles are long):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-09-10/features/8903020457_1_kenny-military-school-mother
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1993-10-03/features/9309170554_1_murderer-experiment-kenny

A total of $600,000 was spent on Kenny's treatment at a time when the average budget per youthful offender was about $13,000. As of 1999 Kenny seems to have graduated college, found employment and has stayed out of jail, making his story a success.

However, it's impossible to repeat what authorities did for Kenny today. That $600,000 is more like $1,484,213 in today's money. And the 162-bed St. Albans has been closed and abandoned. In it's place is a new 36-bed mental health clinic.

Currently there just aren't many options for troubled kids and so until the juvenile system is revamped, with more funds and hospital beds available, I'm afraid the alternative is to keep these kids in detention for as long as possible to protect society and try to provide them with at least some sort of therapy. It may not be the best solution or even the right solution but I don't see anything better.

http://extras.denverpost.com/mentalillness/index.html
http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/...ystem-families-struggle-to-find-quality-care/

So, in the case of a 15 year old who may have been bullied and definitely has come from a home with no or absent father and a mother who works a lot to support her children and is left alone with brother/siblings... there is NO positive reinforcement. Not from school, not from parents, nothing.

My guess is LE asked them to remove any description of the scene

I think you may be right. I just checked all of their news videos about this case and the one I watched is gone. It was a brunette reporter, but I don't recall her name.

They seem to just have a bunch of spliced together videos posted now combining the search, the arrest, and the vigil.

I wonder if LE asked them to remove the videos with the descriptions so that the juvenile will get a fair trial. They probably don't want him tried in the court of public opinion, although it's probably too late for that.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, otto. I think we are saying similar things but see them in very different ways

Without saying how, I have seen and dealt with psychopaths first hand and in varying age groups so that as well as years of study, form my view

So, in the case of a 15 year old who may have been bullied and definitely has come from a home with no or absent father and a mother who works a lot to support her children and is left alone with brother/siblings... there is NO positive reinforcement. Not from school, not from parents, nothing.

Which 15yo boy are you talking about?

The issue with cognitive development is that a "normal"/neurotypical person, they understand at a pretty young age 5+ish that if they hurt someone it's not okay and if something is dead it's bad and they aren't coming back. The developmental timing can cause poor judgement in teens, i.e. I can make this drive home drunk, I'm invincible. Not I can kill this child and all will be fine for everyone.

We don't know who the 15 year old is, so we don't know his circumstances.

Which 15yo boy are you talking about?

Hypothetically and generally speaking, the accused has not been named. MSM has reported a 15 yo boy was arrested in Kiaya's murder. He was in court today.

It's a hard topic- liability of a teenager for crimes they commit, how they should be treated (as a minor who can be rehabilitated or as a lost cause and dangerous adult), how their brains work, is there ever hope for a teenager who commits a crime like this.

On the one hand I think science shows that teenager's brains are quite different from adults. They lack the capacity of adults. Which society has determined should result in less harsh sentences (death penalty and LWOP is outlawed for teens now).

On the other hand, science also seems to show that the brains of a psychopath are far different than everyone else, and that this is established in childhood. So depending on the ruthlessness and sophistication of he crime, society has determined that some teens should be treated as adult criminals, or as close to such as possible.

I read that according to some experts in psychopathology, children's brains are more malleable and it's possible that treatment of kids with "callous-unemotional" traits can prevent them from becoming full-fledged psychopaths. And teenager's frontal lobes aren't developed yet. So there might be hope.

However, the study I read had to do with the treatment of 4-8 year olds - not 15. And while we are debating how to treat someone like this young killer, we should remember that Todd Kohlepp was also 15 when he kidnapped and raped a peer. And this was after 6 years of treatment as a child. Then, upon being arrested, and after 25 months of extremely intensive intervention in jail and then 14 years in prison, the last 9 years of which he didn't exhibit disciplinary problems, he went on to murder at least 7 people, possibly more, and rape and kidnap a few women.

I think the bottom line is every teenager is different. If they commit a crime the courts should consider:

1. Do they exhibit callous unemotional traits?
2. Are they particular sophisticated or cunning compared to other kids their age?
3. Have they exhibited violent behavior previously?
4. Have they been treated to no avail?
5. How ruthless and savage was their crime?
6. What do brain scans/psych evals say about their psychology, neurology and whether or not they can be rehabilitated?

I don't think one size shoe fits all.

I'm thinking that the one child who killed the other child needs rehabilitation more than punishment. In my opinion, he's wired wrong, and punishment isn't going to make any difference.

So give him rehab but keep him locked up so that he won't kill another innocent child. Some people, even 15 year olds, are just evil.

Look how many murderers commit another killing after they are released.

I used to live in a community where a teen killed a beautiful 5 year old girl in a horrific way. He received rehabilitation instead of punishment. IMMEDIATELY after he was released from rehabilitation and returned to society he murdered a 5 year old boy in a horrific way. Had he been locked up the 2nd child would not have been killed.

Sorry but my interests lie in protecting the innocent children rather than the possibility of rehab for the murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99