CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While he wasn't the main target, it's not a good look for the FBI knowing about another mass shooter/terrorist before they committed it. Pulse nightclub, San Bernardino, Ft. Hood, the Boston bombing, Parkland High, Garland Texas(not a mass shooting because it was stopped by an off duty LEO) and now this. Doesn't lead people to having faith in their abilities

How many million Americans are known by the FBI?

He was known to the FBI?!?!?
And wow that’s so delusional...

Ugh my heart is hurting for all of those families. :(

Oh no...If he was known to the FBI would that mean he was in contact with Islamic extremists???
I'm just wondering in my head, if this guy, who was already experiencing some sort of mental challenges was sought out by online extremist recruits.

Last edited:
Wondering why this specific King’s ?
There are ones much closer to his part of Arvada, or why a grocery store?
Why Boulder ?

Maybe because he surmised that no-one he knew would be at this King Soopers? A more detached way of killing when it doesn't involve your friends, neighbours, church associates, family.

Or maybe it was this specific King Soopers where he had a bad experience? When he may have stopped in there at some point in time.

While he wasn't the main target, it's not a good look for the FBI knowing about another mass shooter/terrorist before they committed it. Pulse nightclub, San Bernardino, Ft. Hood, the Boston bombing, Parkland High, Garland Texas(not a mass shooting because it was stopped by an off duty LEO) and now this. Doesn't lead people to having faith in their abilities

If he was known to them because of something someone said or because of someone else they were investigating and they investigated and found nothing alarming, then what could they have done? If his only record is the misdemeanor from 3 years ago, then what could flag them to his instability? I think people can be known to LE and still they are not able to predict or prevent something like this.

Well, that he was "known" to the FBI doesn't necessarily mean there was any indication that he was going to become a mass shooter or a terrorist. Unless they have details about when, where, and how an individual is planning such an attack I'm not sure what they could have done to prevent it.

Maybe because he surmised that no-one he knew would be at this King Soopers? A more detached way of killing when it doesn't involve your friends, neighbours, church associates, family.

Or maybe it was this specific King Soopers where he had a bad experience? When he may have stopped in there at some point in time.

I'm wondering if he knew someone that worked there. Maybe this person is a victim or he didn't find the person so they aren't a listed victim. If he was having delusions or believed people were watching him, maybe this store has some connection for him. They were doing the vaccines so maybe someone there that day giving the vaccines or even just the vaccines in general could be a reason. Was it advertised that people could go there and received the vaccine?

It probably has more to do with their inability to arrest these killers if they haven't yet engaged in criminal activity. Sadly, modern laws allow them to purchase all the deadly weapons money can buy in the US and the FBI is unable to do anything to stop it. Only exceptions would be if they were convicted of some prior crime and were forbidden to own weapons as part of their sentence.
They had tips on the Parkland shooter they ignored. They were warned by Russian intelligence about the elder brother in the Boston case that was involved with Chechen extremist groups. They had investigated the the Pulse shooter and they knew the extremist ideologies of the Ft Hood and SB shooter. There was an undercover agent right behind the Garland attackers yet it was a Garland officer who engaged with the shooters

The diameter of the .223 is the same as the .22LR...thus making the same size hole.

The length of the bullet, and amount of grains is irrelevant, as in this case, where the very big possibility that he shot all of his victims at point blank range. JMHO

<modsnip>

Bullet size / weight and the amount of grains in the cartridge are very relevant as impact energy is determined by two things:

A. The weight of an object (in this case a bullet)
B. The velocity of the object (in this case, imparted by the number of grains in the cartridge).

So, while the .223 round and the .22 long rife may have the same diameter, the .223 round is far heavier and is also moving at high velocity (as is a .22 long rifle).

This means that amount of tissue damage imparted by a .223 round is potentially far greater than a .22 long rifle. Yes, both the .22 long rifle and the .223 can kill- but the .223 is far more likely to do so as it has far more impact energy.

Last edited:
Odd the clothing they found discarded in the store doesn’t include a plaid shirt, which per the affidavit an officer in the store described as being worn by the man shooting. He also said he believed the shooter was blond, though he “wasn’t sure”. It must be hard to remember details when under fire, but seems like a trained LE officer (presumably SWAT) would be better at it than most.

As I understand it, the sole purpose of an arrest affidavit is to show cause for arrest. It’s not a summary of all evidence to date.

This is an affidavit supporting the arrest of AA and only AA. I’m puzzled why the plaid shirt/blond hair description was included at all. To our knowledge it doesn’t describe AA and surely there are all sorts of inaccurate witness descriptions that don’t make it into an affidavit. So why include this one?

I have no doubt that AA was responsible for the shootings. Was the officer mistaken about who was shooting or did he remember their appearance incorrectly? Was an armed civilian not associated with AA scared, confused and shooting thinking they were protecting themselves? Or is it possible that AA had an accomplice after all?

ETA link to affidavit:
https://lede-admin.coloradosun.com/...avit-for-Arrest-Warrant-Alissa_Redacted-1.pdf
Perhaps the shirt was both? Dark *and* plaid?

They had tips on the Parkland shooter they ignored. They were warned by Russian intelligence about the elder brother in the Boston case that was involved with Chechen extremist groups. They had investigated the the Pulse shooter and they knew the extremist ideologies of the Ft Hood and SB shooter. There was an undercover agent right behind the Garland attackers yet it was a Garland officer who engaged with the shooters

I had forgotten about the Garland shooter

FBI Agent Goaded Garland Shooter to “Tear Up Texas,” Raising New Alarms About Bureau’s Methods

But testing the willingness of suspects to take certain steps in a conspiracy is one thing; actively encouraging them to commit a violent, criminal act is another.

“The FBI uses informants and undercover agents to pressure suspected ISIS sympathizers into committing acts of violence, so that they can then be prosecuted. The Garland shooter case is the most striking illustration yet of the dangers of this approach,” says Arun Kundnani, a lecturer on terrorism studies at New York University. “Essentially, it suggests the government may be manufacturing the very threat it is supposed to be countering.”

I hope that's not what happened in Boulder.

Well, that he was "known" to the FBI doesn't necessarily mean there was any indication that he was going to become a mass shooter or a terrorist. Unless they have details about when, where, and how an individual is planning such an attack I'm not sure what they could have done to prevent it.
Perhaps keep a better eye on said people, especially in instances where they have ties to extremist groups. In the Parkland case, maybe actually act on the two tips they received instead of ignoring them.

My thought also. He was there, something set him off and he got his gun and started firing. Just speculation. I am very interested in hearing his motives for doing what he did.

They had tips on the Parkland shooter they ignored. They were warned by Russian intelligence about the elder brother in the Boston case that was involved with Chechen extremist groups. They had investigated the the Pulse shooter and they knew the extremist ideologies of the Ft Hood and SB shooter.

Yes, the FBI and other law enforcement had tips, warnings, and knowledge about all the above individuals. And now, the big "but"....

The FBI and other US law enforcement agencies operate in a very democratic society that affords individuals a lot of rights- constitutionally, criminally and even administratively. The totality can force the police to give possible threats the "benefit of the doubt"- even when they dont want to.

As a result, it is not always legally possible for the police to take decisive and immediate action based on tips or warnings regarding what a person might do.

it's not a good look for the FBI knowing about another mass shooter/terrorist before they committed it. Doesn't lead people to having faith in their abilities

Again, knowing about a potential mass shooter and legally being able to take action (at least in a democratic society) can be two very different things.

In short, police in North Korea have the ability to prevent all kinds of potential criminal actions based solely on tips, warnings and knowledge about what somebody might do.

The police in the US, however, operate under different rules. It can be far harder to take decisive action based on "mights".

Last edited:
<modsnip>

Bullet size / weight and the amount of grains in the cartridge are very relevant as impact energy is determined by two things:

A. The weight of an object (in this case a bullet)
B. The velocity of the object (in this case, imparted by the number of grains in the cartridge).

So, while the .223 round and the .22 long rife may have the same diameter, the .223 round is far heavier and is also moving at high velocity (as is a .22 long rifle).

This means that amount of tissue damage imparted by a .223 round is potentially far greater than a .22 long rifle. Yes, both the .22 long rifle and the .223 can kill- but the .223 is far more likely to do so as it has far more impact energy.
Here is a photo of a .22LR and a .223/5.56 next to each other. Even someone who has never shot a gun would see that they are two completely different rounds. The only similarity between the two is circumference of the projectile.
main-qimg-e68c3db79d5e63363b42dd76fde90e39.jpeg

My thought also. He was there, something set him off and he got his gun and started firing. Just speculation. I am very interested in hearing his motives for doing what he did.

The Boulder shootings started in the parking lot....
No Motive Yet As Investigators Name Victims, Piece Together Timeline Of Boulder King Soopers Shooting

As someone upthread said, we may never get to a motive. We never got one for the Las Vegas shootings. It is sometimes impossible to rationalize an irrational act, or make sense out of senseless murders. We want to find logic where there is none that any reasonable person could understand. IMHO

Here is a photo of a .22LR and a .223/5.56 next to each other. Even someone who has never shot a gun would see that they are two completely different rounds. The only similarity between the two is circumference of the projectile.
View attachment 289817
As the saying goes, a picture says a thousand words.

Bigger mass means more potential impact energy. Add velocity to the larger mass of the .223 round and one gets alot more impact energy.

Maybe he decided the king soopers on a whim, thinking it’d be crowded or something. Or maybe he had a reason. A person, a grievance, the covid vaccines?

I do believe however that as he was driving he knew exactly what he was doing that day... new gun case in the front seat and that tactical vest.
Moo

The Boulder shootings started in the parking lot....
No Motive Yet As Investigators Name Victims, Piece Together Timeline Of Boulder King Soopers Shooting

As someone upthread said, we may never get to a motive. We never got one for the Las Vegas shootings. It is sometimes impossible to rationalize an irrational act, or make sense out of senseless murders. We want to find logic where there is none that any reasonable person could understand. IMHO
Yeah I know the shooting started in the parking lot. Which is why I suggested somebody set him off. He grabbed his gun from the car and started shooting. A huge difference between this case and LV is this perp is still alive. Hopefully he's talking.

I don’t think that anyone necessarily had to “set him off” for this to happen. If he planned to go shoot up the store he’s got to get from his vehicle through the front doors. Anybody who sees him walking up to the store caring his weapon and wearing a tactical vest is probably going to raise an alarm. If he’s going to kill a bunch of people anyway why not start on the way in? I think he probably shot them just because they were there as he approached the front doors.
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyBeast