CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Referring to this quote:

"When he was a senior at Arvada West High School, Mr. Alissa was convicted in 2018 of misdemeanor assault against another student in a classroom, and told the police at the time that it was in retaliation for insults and ethnic taunts."

CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities incl. one Boulder LE, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021

He told police he was taunted. But, if he was paranoid and classmates were genuinely afraid of him...Is it 100% certain that he was actually "provoked" by a bigoted comment? Or did LE write that down as his version of events?

He told police he was taunted. But, if he was paranoid and classmates were genuinely afraid of him...Is it 100% certain that he was actually "provoked" by a bigoted comment? Or did LE write that down as his version of events?

His fellow students seem to confirm that he received "slights". And he didn't take them very well, or ignore them.
This info is contained in the same paragraph about him claiming he received ethnic taunts and insults.

"Fellow students recall him as having a fierce temper that would flare in response to setbacks or slights."
Suspect in hand, investigators hunt for a motive in the Boulder shooting.

CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities incl. one Boulder LE, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021

Last edited:
I think we also need to reconsider bringing back mental institutions (but obviously better monitored and more humane than some of those from the past). Many of the people suffering from some of these issues need much longer term care than the "two weeks in the hospital psych ward then sent home with meds and no one to monitor if they take them or not"

You can't institutionalize someone because they might be violent. You can't force patients to take medications. Most patients with mental illness suffer the internal agony of despair and are much more likely to harm themselves than others. If you want humane conditions and not the warehousing of mentally ill patients then expect your taxes to increase ten fold.

Psychosis isn't always a result of mental illness, it can be triggered by many things: drug use, stopping drug use, drinking heavily, going cold turkey, anxiety, lupus, brain tumor, mental illness like schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, multiple sclerosis, post partum depression, insomnia. And last but not least, plain old garden variety depression which has probably increased ten fold with the isolation and stress that Covid restrictions have created for many people.

I've known a couple of people who suffered with schizophrenia. They had delusions of grandeur and manic episodes which was tortuous to watch. It was scary and sad because the cycle just kept repeating itself until they'd both had enough. Suicide is much more likely than murder.

"When he was a senior at Arvada West High School, Mr. Alissa was convicted in 2018 of misdemeanor assault against another student in a classroom, and told the police at the time that it was in retaliation for insults and ethnic taunts."

Hernandez said Alissa frequently appeared to be paranoid about perceived slights against him, and Marvel said Alissa was often concerned about being targeted because of his Muslim faith.

“He would talk about him being Muslim and how if anybody tried anything, he would file a hate crime and say they were making it up,” Marvel said. “It was a crazy deal. I just know he was a pretty cool kid until something made him mad, and then whatever made him mad, he went over the edge — way too far.”

Boulder shooting suspect: Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder

Last edited:
Bits and pieces from the shooter's family in this article .....

The brother told CNN on Tuesday that in high school bullies made fun of Alissa's name and for being Muslim and that may have contributed to him becoming "anti-social."

"We kept a close eye on him when he was in high school. He would say, 'Someone is chasing me, someone is investigating me.' And we're like, 'Come on man. There's nothing.' ... He was just closing into himself," the brother added.

"Just curious what are the laws about phone privacy because I believe my old school (a west) was hacking my phone," Alissa wrote in a March 18, 2019, Facebook post.

When his Facebook friends questioned how he knew the school was hacking his phone, Alissa said: "I believe part racism for sure. But I also believe someone spread rumors about me which are false and maybe that set it off."

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa: What we know about the Boulder, Colorado, mass shooting suspect - CNN

[...]
If you want humane conditions and not the warehousing of mentally ill patients then expect your taxes to increase ten fold.
[...].

As a civilized society, surely we do want humane conditions, and we don't want the warehousing of mentally ill people. Mental illness that leads to violence is a poorly understood aspect of human health care, and its study is definitely worth the investment of tax dollars, although your suggestion that it would raise taxes tenfold is a non sequitur.

jmo

I will add to that. He had the forethought to undress himself before he turned himself in. He didn’t want to be killed. There was some thought and planning that went into this.

For whatever reason we seem to think the people with serious mental illness have completely lost all sense of the world around them and that is not true.

I work on the trails around my home almost daily and there are mentally ill homeless people that I have encountered over the years. I always greet them like I would any one on the trail and sometimes I have have conversations with them. There was the woman that practiced her thermo and astro physics by ballet dancing with her shopping cart. There was a man who built the bluffs in seven days with cobblestones. There was the guy that restores dead trees by watering them with his water bottle and rakes the trails. This guy also talks and fights with himself at times. There was another guy that I never spoke with but I saw his camp. He was an arsonist that was caught making little fire bombs in cans. I found in his camp a bunch of lighters and melted and burned items.

When you talk with these people, they converse with you and respond to your questions. But they have trouble staying focused and tracking on a single topic. They all have very specific views on the world and they all are focused on their mission. When they explain their reason for doing what they are doing, it explains why they are doing what they are doing even if it is not normal in the minds of everyone else but there is logic there.

The Boulder shooter had expressed paranoia and he thought people were after him. He had experience hallucinations and fear for years. When people think they are being attacked, real or imagined, they act to protect themselves. The Boulder shooter may very well have taken off his tactical vest and put down his weapon because his hallucination faded and he felt the danger was over.

We as a society need to better listen to the mission of people with serious mental illness and when they express paranoia and hallucinations and they are worried that someone is going to harm them so they need to protect themselves from the imaginary with real weapons, we need to to get those people off the streets and into locked facilities.

We need to change the laws or use the laws that we have now to allow people to be involuntarily committed and we need to have public facilities for these people to be placed in because there is no financial incentive for private health care providers to care for these people beyond a few days required by law to "stabilize" them.

Morning all!

I'm truly interested if the mass murderer has mental illness. I'm sure the judge presiding over the case will agree to have him evaluated since all defendants must be deemed competent to stand trial.

The more I read the more I see someone with severe anger issues rather than a mentally disturbed defendant. He seems to have a hairline trigger having abnormal outburst of full on rage.

His paranoia reminded me somewhat of my own ex brother in law. We were in. Chicago visiting my ex husband's family. We went out to one of the most exclusive Mexican restaurants where the men were required to wear a suit, and tie. Like my ex husband my ex brother in law was stunning handsome. They were both tall, slim, and could have easily been mistaken for movie actors. Most thought they were Italian.

Anyway, as we stood in line I could see Rick's demeanor change. He was furious about something for his facial expression was one of raw anger. I whispered to him asking him what's wrong. He growled telling me he knew everyone was talking badly about him because he was Mexican. I watched the faces, and it was obvious the women were actually admiring how handsome, and how he was impeccably dressed. They were doing the same to my ex. My ex knew this too, but there wasn't any convincing Rick.

Even though he became better with age he still had deep seeded rage, and paranoia that continue to surface from time to time. Of course he never harmed anyone his entire life even though he was filled with rage because he had convinced himself that others were talking disparagingly about him even though there wasn't any evidence it was even true. Actually he had many good friends of all races, and was highly admired.

So I'm very interested in whether this suspect is mentally ill or someone who needed anger management therapy.

Injustice collectors often walk around with a big chip on their shoulder looking for any little thing to be offended about.

I tend to think he's another injustice collector rather than being mentally ill.

We shall see.

Jmho and nothing more.

Referring to this quote:

I have no doubt that Alissa told the police that. Alissa is also on record for throwing temper tantrums when he lost wrestling matches, threatening to kill classmates, and cursing at referees.

There is a chance that Alissa made false claims about why he assaulted that student? Very few criminals ever admit to unjustified assaults.

Though it is possible that Alissa was bullied. What is possible is not always likely. A wrestler with a very aggressive personality getting bullied does not seem very likely to me.

His fellow students seem to confirm that he received "slights". And he didn't take them very well, or ignore them.

Every one receives slights of some sort or another. Some aggressive humans, however, define slight as:

Slight (n): Failing to proclaim me as the "winner" of the wrestling match, the relationship or life in general is a slight. Slights make me angry- very angry.

I have no doubt that Alissa told the police that. Alissa is also on record for throwing temper tantrums when he lost wrestling matches, threatening to kill classmates, and cursing at referees.

There is a chance that Alissa made false claims about why he assaulted that student? Very few criminals ever admit to unjustified assaults.

Though it is possible that Alissa was bullied. What is possible is not always likely. A wrestler with a very aggressive personality getting bullied does not seem very likely to me.

I agree. It sounds like the assault incident was because of an imagined slight. In fact, it sounds like Alissa was the bully towards his classmates.

Imo it sounds like AA was imagining things or hearing voices. He brutally beat this kid.

Suspect in Boulder mass shooting was arrested for attack on Arvada West High School classmate

“No witnesses could see or hear any reason for (Alissa) to hit (the victim,” the documents say. “(Alissa) said (the victim) had made fun of him and called him racial names weeks earlier.”
I'm feeling for the kid who was attacked by AA. I'm sure this is a painful memory to be brought up so publicly again.

The shooter left lots of damage in his wake.

jmo

Agents raid Boulder suspect Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa's Colorado home

The house, a new build from 1998, was bought by Ali Aliwi Alissa for $634,000 in 2017, Colorado property records show.

It was the start of a nightmare for others living on the then-quiet street — with some so upset at “harassment” by the large Syrian family that they upped sticks and moved away, neighbors said.

“They harassed several neighbors. Caused two neighbors to move,” Dawn Losasso, who has lived on the block in the “tight-knit neighborhood” for 25 years, told The Post.

“You see lots of people going in and out of that house at all hours, especially late at night,” she said — but she didn’t see the 21-year-old alleged killer “often.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oakes
Back