CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I notice many of these mass killers, serial killers, terrorists, and bullies are often sexually frustrated/repressed and have trouble fitting.
He reminds me of Nicholas Cruz. He also assaulted a student, had a grudge against his school, was a loner, had anger issues, wanted a girlfriend, and didn't "fit in."

There were also many warning signs and calls to the police before the shooting. He was reported to the FBI for writing, "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," on someone's YouTube page. He wrote on one of his Instagram accounts that he wanted to kill people.

I'm sure this will be a lengthy investigation and they will look into every aspect of his past. The findings will be then be added to all the other research about mass shooters.

The most important thing is that the victims and families see that justice is served, but in a case like this the wounds run deep and wide.

I’m sick of “bullying” being given as an explanation for mass shootings and other heinous behavior. And I have no pity for Injustice Gatherers. None at all.

When I was a kid, “bullying” typically referred to physically threatening behavior. Now it’s a synonym for meanness. Is there anyone here, anyone at all, who can say they never once experienced meanness from neighbors or schoolmates? I know I can’t. Almost everyone is “bullied” at some point.

Some experience it rarely. Others are picked on endlessly and truly have a horrific time. But there’s little if any correlation between the extent of said bullying and a person’s likelihood to shoot a bunch of innocent people. For an IG one perceived insult could be all it takes.

IMO Injustice Gatherers were IGs first, collecting even the smallest mean or misunderstood comment to fuel their righteous indignation. Bullying didn’t make them this way, Neither did being grounded, lack of success getting dates, job rejection, physical or emotional abuse, parental divorce, witnessing violence, acne, not enough hugs, video games, sugar or a horrible home life in general. Because no matter how horrible their horrible was, something similar has “happened” to other people too. Usually lots of them. Lots of people who despite their trauma would never dream of taking an innocent life to feel better.

I’ve joined the “I don’t care what happened in their life” camp. Unlike religious and political terrorists, I’m convinced the answer to which IGs will become killers won’t be found in their emotional histories. Better to concentrate on their actions, medical history, neurological physiology, DNA or astrological chart.

The second best post here!

I was bullied in school too, even at my first job (crazy manager), even as an adult. Guess what. I never plotted any shootings. In fact, I'm clean without any legal record (and plan on keeping it that way).

So much of it has to do with the way an individual handles being bullied.

Edited to add:

I think we as individuals in American society place way too much importance on what others think of us and how others treat us.

That needs to change. Because something in the socialization process nowadays simply is not working.

I’m sick of “bullying” being given as an explanation for mass shootings and other heinous behavior. And I have no pity for Injustice Gatherers. None at all.

When I was a kid, “bullying” typically referred to physically threatening behavior. Now it’s a synonym for meanness. Is there anyone here, anyone at all, who can say they never once experienced meanness from neighbors or schoolmates? I know I can’t. Almost everyone is “bullied” at some point.

Some experience it rarely. Others are picked on endlessly and truly have a horrific time. But there’s little if any correlation between the extent of said bullying and a person’s likelihood to shoot a bunch of innocent people. For an IG one perceived insult could be all it takes.

IMO Injustice Gatherers were IGs first, collecting even the smallest mean or misunderstood comment to fuel their righteous indignation. Bullying didn’t make them this way, Neither did being grounded, lack of success getting dates, job rejection, physical or emotional abuse, parental divorce, witnessing violence, acne, not enough hugs, video games, sugar or a horrible home life in general. Because no matter how horrible their horrible was, something similar has “happened” to other people too. Usually lots of them. Lots of people who despite their trauma would never dream of taking an innocent life to feel better.

I’ve joined the “I don’t care what happened in their life” camp. Unlike religious and political terrorists, I’m convinced the answer to which IGs will become killers won’t be found in their emotional histories. Better to concentrate on their actions, medical history, neurological physiology, DNA or astrological chart.

There is no rational explanation for why people commit mass shootings.

It seems that these types of events have become almost commonplace now. With these aggrieved perpetrators thinking that others have done it, so why not them. Their coping skills are phenomenally poor or non-existent.

There were 7 mass shootings in the past week (4 or more people injured or killed). This was one of them.

The Colorado attack is the 7th mass shooting in 7 days in the US - CNN

FWIW, there are no Piggly Wiggly stores in Colorado.

Store Locations | Piggly Wiggly

I wonder if there used to be one in that location and that could be what locals still refer to the parking lot of that building since it was the "old piggly wiggly".. often people who have lived in an area for a long time reference areas or places that used to be there and other locals know exactly what they are reffering too!

I was bullied in school too, even at my first job (crazy manager), even as an adult. Guess what. I never plotted any shootings. In fact, I'm clean without any legal record (and plan on keeping it that way).

Edited to add:

I think we as individuals in American society place way too much importance on what others think of us and how others treat us.

That needs to change. Because something in the socialization process nowadays simply is not working.
^^bbm

Amen, friend! :)

I'm so grateful my generation's youth was not spent comparing our lives, homes, meals, vacations, etc. on FB, IG, KUWTK, and more.

I'm sure I've sounded like a broken record over the years telling the kids that NOBODY has 100, 300, or 5,000 "Friends!" And you're not a failure because you only have 32 followers!

I think a school's social curriculum needs to include those decades of studies & research that corroborate that people with three to five close friends report the highest levels of life satisfaction.

In Brownies, they taught us to: make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold.

I think it's still a good principle to live by --

Especially when you live to see the death of your friends trending on all forms of media. :(

#BOULDERSTRONG

Edited to add:

I don't think there has ever been any correlation found between bullying and mass shootings. It more often leads to depression, anxiety and suicide-related behavior.

Rachael's Challenge was created to decrease bullying and school violence and has been incorporated by most schools to raise awareness and to recognize bullying behavior. The whole concept is based on being respectful and kind to one another. There is supposed to be zero tolerance, but I'm not sure how well it's working, especially in the age of social media.

Anyway, I don't think we will find the motive was due to school bullying. It's probably a lot more complex than that. Children are bullied every day and it can have lasting psychological effects, but they usually don't end up shooting people.

I recall being taught, and reciting to myself 'sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.' I thought it was comforting and wise. Try saying that in public now. No, seriously, don't.

I think the ship has sailed into the region of verbal sensitivity, there's no turning back.

I recall being taught, and reciting to myself 'sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.' I thought it was comforting and wise. Try saying that in public now. No, seriously, don't.

I think the ship has sailed into the region of verbal sensitivity, there's no turning back.
Yeah, that doesn't work anymore. I remember my daughter coming home from kindergarten and repeating that phrase the teacher had said that day. She said, "but that's not true, words do hurt you sometimes!"

Sticks and stones can break bones, but words can kill the human spirit.

"You're ugly!" "You're worthless!" "You're stupid!" etc

Are more harmful to a person's psyche and soul than an actual physical beating.

JMO and I am not saying any of this applies to the crime we are discussing.

I note he's also another "I need a girlfriend" type.

These shooters all come from that generation, or mostly... I honestly think it's all too much for people. Too much social media, too much *advertiser censored*, too much 24/7 news telling them the world is **** even if it isn't. We have brains that evolved to cope with a completely different physical and social environment to what we live in now, we evolved in small groups that looked after and out for each other and who were mostly worried about subsistence and reproducing the next generation, not meaningless sex, appearances, & money while surrounded by strangers. This society is just so fundamentally wrong for what we evolved for, and our brains have barely started to keep up.

Semi-off-topic and personal for a bit: My kids are Millenials, and actually, I have always been so impressed by them and their friends growing up. They are resourceful, driven, interested in causes, accepting of people—just to name a few admirable qualities.

They taught ME a lot about embracing those different from us. I still remember the moment I was amazed, surprised and proud when my young dd at around age 11 so matter-of-factly told me one of the boys in her group of friends was gay. It mattered not one iota to her.

So, there’s a lot of wonderful young people out there we can have hope in, too. IMO

I posted a great article upthread about injustice collectors — written by FBI profiler Mary Ellen O’Toole.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/vio.2014.1509

“...in a threat assessment context, being able to distinguish between the nonaggressive injustice collector and the dangerous injustice collector is important. Here is what I believe is the distinction: Dangerous injustice collectors have at least one incident in their past when they reacted to a real or perceived injustice in a manner that was (1) disproportionate to the original event and (2) aggressive.

“Injustice collecting is frequently a lifetime pattern and includes perceptions of being victimized by others through small and insignificant slights, real or imagined, which the injustice collector magnifies and perceives as purposeful, personal, and intended. The injustice collector is often able to recall and articulate with specificity the details of his negative interaction with others and when and where the interaction occurred.”

“The injustice collector likely maintains notes, lists, legal records, or other miscellaneous documentation in order to keep track of his growing list of grievances and adversaries. However, his versions of events are often skewed, distorted, embellished, or completely misinterpreted to the point of being absurd or ridiculous, and many of the people on his lists probably have no idea what they did to the injustice collector, how badly they are perceived by him, or how deep his loathing or anger toward them.”

“Injustice collectors can and will assign sinister, nefarious reasons or motivations to actions that were innocent, benign, meaningless, or even meant in jest, fun, or goodwill by others. Nonetheless, to argue or debate with an injustice collector entrenched in his belief system will not likely persuade him that his perceptions and conclusions are incorrect. Instead, he will probably add you to his list.”

Much more at the link above —

I posted a great article upthread about injustice collectors — written by FBI profiler Mary Ellen O’Toole.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/vio.2014.1509

“...in a threat assessment context, being able to distinguish between the nonaggressive injustice collector and the dangerous injustice collector is important. Here is what I believe is the distinction: Dangerous injustice collectors have at least one incident in their past when they reacted to a real or perceived injustice in a manner that was (1) disproportionate to the original event and (2) aggressive.

“Injustice collecting is frequently a lifetime pattern and includes perceptions of being victimized by others through small and insignificant slights, real or imagined, which the injustice collector magnifies and perceives as purposeful, personal, and intended. The injustice collector is often able to recall and articulate with specificity the details of his negative interaction with others and when and where the interaction occurred.”

“The injustice collector likely maintains notes, lists, legal records, or other miscellaneous documentation in order to keep track of his growing list of grievances and adversaries. However, his versions of events are often skewed, distorted, embellished, or completely misinterpreted to the point of being absurd or ridiculous, and many of the people on his lists probably have no idea what they did to the injustice collector, how badly they are perceived by him, or how deep his loathing or anger toward them.”

“Injustice collectors can and will assign sinister, nefarious reasons or motivations to actions that were innocent, benign, meaningless, or even meant in jest, fun, or goodwill by others. Nonetheless, to argue or debate with an injustice collector entrenched in his belief system will not likely persuade him that his perceptions and conclusions are incorrect. Instead, he will probably add you to his list.”

Much more at the link above —
Are you saying that the suspect in this case is an injustice collector?

This article says that Alissa is scheduled to appear at 8:15am (Thursday) in front of Judge Thomas Mulvahill.

It also says that he will be read his rights. be told which crimes he is being investigated for, bond could be set but usually isn't in Colorado for 1st degree murder. He will likely languish in jail for the duration.

No plea will be entered, he is not yet formally charged. Court records say he is being held on suspicion of 10 counts of 1st degree murder and one count of attempted 1st degree murder.

He has been assigned a public defender.

Apparently it can be watched online here .... Meet virtually with Cisco Webex. Anytime, anywhere, on any device.

How to watch the Boulder shooting suspect's first court appearance Thursday

(1) TODAY on Twitter: "The 10 victims of the shooting rampage in Colorado were honored at an emotional vigil overnight, and loved ones are sharing powerful new tributes to their lives. Meanwhile, the suspect faces a court appearance today. @ErinNBCNews reports.
https://t.co/pcQai5ju3C" / Twitter

ExUjzQhWEAIL3VB

Yeah, that doesn't work anymore. I remember my daughter coming home from kindergarten and repeating that phrase the teacher had said that day. She said, "but that's not true, words do hurt you sometimes!"
DH had a poster on the wall of his office when he was the school psychologist and director of special ed in a public school district. "Sticks and stones MAY break your bones, but words will ALWAYS hurt you. Be kind." I, of course, had always heard the opposite and so this made me consider the absolute effects of harmful words.

Today, it can be in person or on any form of SM. Not always so easy to brush them off. Definitely not an excuse to ever harm someone though.

Something to consider.

I notice many of these mass killers, serial killers, terrorists, and bullies are often sexually frustrated/repressed and have trouble fitting.

I’m torn. I am tired of trying to figure out the motive of mass killers. Some people are just evil. Period. And our mental health care system is decidedly broken. Is there any helping a person so emotionally troubled that he would annihilate a group of innocent people?

I do care about the victims, and if learning more about the motive of these killers will save innocent lives, then I’m all for it. I hope - someday - the system of care will get fixed.

jmo

Edited to add:

I also think some adults' perceptions of bullying has changed. Sadly, some people today think bullying others is a sign of strength, superiority and leadership. That means a lot more kids are growing up with bad attitudes and a skewed sense of normal, productive human behavior.

IOW, maybe the killers emerging in recent years aren't the victims of bullies, but the bullies themselves. JMO, just thinking out loud.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back