CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Article from May 31:

Windsor more vigilant after shootings are linked
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/05/30/windsor-alert-jacoby-shootings-linked/28250471/

"As for how safe people should feel as they travel in Northern Colorado? Michaels called it an impossible question to answer."

Margarita25, this article seems deja vu of the Gaffney, SC spree killer. Of all the serial cases that I have ever followed, the Gaffney case was the most transparent. All info, including 3D colored sketch and vehicle description was shared by SLED and the local Sheriff with the SC citizens in real time to keep them aware and informed. This is a snippet from the Gaffney article;

Just after 2:30 a.m. Monday, a man on Dallas Spencer Mountain Road northeast of Gastonia called local police after he saw a Ford Explorer pull into the driveway across the street from his house.

The man, Mike Valentine, saw the SUV and was concerned the vehicle might be connected to the killer. Gastonia is about 40 miles north of Gaffney — just off Interstate 85 — and Valentine knew what kind of vehicle police were searching for.

Three police officers arrived and found three people in the older-model Ford Explorer outside the home. Two were identified by Charlotte’s NewsChannel 36 as Mark Stamey, 35, and his sister, Sharon Stamey, 31. The Stameys told the officers they had lived in the house.
Valentine said the Stameys got out of the car, along with a second man.
“He was a large man,” Valentine said. “He was stumbling around like he was really drunk.”

Valentine said the Stameys told the police it was their house, and they had come to collect some things. Valentine said he walked across the street and told the police officer there was no electricity at the house and questioned why the three were there..

Police said they had asked the three people in the Ford Explorer for identification, and one of them gave false identification initially. Gaston County police said they eventually got the third person’s correct name, and when they ran a check, discovered he was wanted by authorities in a neighboring county.

When they tried to take him into custody, police said, the man now believed to be Burris fired, hitting officer J.K. Shaw in the leg. Police said they fired back, killing the man.

_______

RELIEF IN GAFFNEY, SC

Early Monday evening in Gaffney, folks at Daddy Joe’s, a popular downtown barbecue spot, were glad to hear the news the killer had been killed.

Gene Wyatt, 35, a housing contractor, said he’s “really glad this guy got killed” because he hasn’t been able to go to people’s houses to do estimates.

“People don’t want me there,” he said.

With a killer on the loose, people, wondering if they might be next, changed their behavior.

“Everybody I know — 75 percent of all my friends — we’re all carrying weapons now, everywhere we go,” Cody Sossaman, 57, publisher of the Gaffney Ledger, said early Monday before police announced they had shot and killed the alleged assailant.

Sossaman lifted a black .38 Special out of his office desk drawer and said he was in the process of sending his wife and daughter out of town.

“When I went golfing over the weekend, a friend of mine carried a gun in his golf cart,” said Sossaman, who for the first time in its 115 years bolted his newspaper’s front doors Monday during daylight hours and put this sign up: “Due to Current Circumstances, The Front Door is Locked. Knock for Service.”

Such fears were reasonable.

Police behavior science experts said the killer’s profile had indicated he might kill again, SLED director Reggie Lloyd said early Monday. SLED had more than 40 agents on the case, Lloyd said.

“We don’t believe he is going to stop on his own,” Lloyd said. “This one is scary.”

By late Monday afternoon, there was a sense Gaffney’s widespread fears might be lifted with news that a man shot to death before dawn in Gastonia might have been the Gaffney assassin who had been striking seemingly at random.

“Ohhhhhhhhh!” gasped a crowd of more than a dozen Gaffney area folks at Daddy Joe’s shortly after 5 p.m. A Spartanburg news show had just flashed a shot of the dead man’s brown-gray Ford Explorer on a wall-mounted television screen.

Daddy Joe’s bar patrons included women who were packing pistols in their purses for the first time in their lives.

“I’m telling you what — people are just scared to death!” said Kim Blanton, 49, a fourth-grade teacher who had a loaded .32-caliber pistol in her purse. No, she said, she doesn’t have a permit to carry a concealed weapon — and she doesn’t care.

Blanton said she lives alone, but recently she either has been spending the night with friends or having a girlfriend over to her house to sleep. “My friend, she had a gun, too,” Blanton said.

The dread of being the next victim had caused the staff at Daddy Joe’s to change a lot of things they do, said general manager Rea Smiley, 44.

“Everyone is just kind of sticking together and being safe,” said Smiley, describing how her employees have not walked out to their cars alone at night. “We all walk out together. We don’t want to, but we’re not being stupid.”

Yes, Smiley said, she keeps a gun close these days. “I haven’t even gone to the bathroom without it.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article14344643.html#storylink=cpy

Thank you Forager!! So our creep drives thru this neighborhood on Wednesday nights, interesting. Wonder if he drives thru there every night? Part of his regular route perhaps?

Tick rock, tick rock, hoping for some new information.

I only got to see part of it . Based on what they DIDNT say it sounds like they believe it's the same shooter. I know none of us are surprised.
Margarita and Poppy are local, anyone one else?? We need to keep track of you folks so we know you're safe. Please check in often, ok?

I only got to see part of it . Based on what they DIDNT say it sounds like they believe it's the same shooter. I know none of us are surprised.
Margarita and Poppy are local, anyone one else?? We need to keep track of you folks so we know you're safe. Please check in often, ok?

I'm not as local as Margarita and Poppy. I didn't get to see the news conference, but when I heard that they were having a conference, I took that to mean that LE must feel there is a connection. What all was said? If this is connected, it seems the shooter has changed tactics, but in a far more terrifying way than I suspected.

I'm not as local as Margarita and Poppy. I didn't get to see the news conference, but when I heard that they were having a conference, I took that to mean that LE must feel there is a connection. What all was said? If this is connected, it seems the shooter has changed tactics, but in a far more terrifying way than I suspected.

I'm local...on the south side of this situation...most concerning was Chief Hecker recommending that we double up and share company...I mean, what do we look out for?

So I'm sitting here thinking I live in Pueblo now, no way would I know this person. I met him once at my friends house in Berthoud. My friend Dave and his ex Missy have been friends with Bill and Julie and Yelena for 33 years. I'm heartbroken for them all. RIP Bill.

Loveland shooting victim loving grandfather
by Katie de la Rosa, The Coloradoan, June 4, 15, 5:06 pm mdt

Granddaughter of Bill Connole, 65, who was fatally shot "around 10:52" pm on Wednesday night, wants the shooter found who is going around her neighborhood. Sadie spoke of a

"tough grandfather, but a selfless one, a loving patriarch who took care of his family even when he was sick with cancer."

[... saying]

""He just did everything for everyone he could,""

[... a neighbor said]

"We didn't hear anything. You can hear a car hit its brakes, and a train across town, but we didn't hear anything last night,"

[...]

PD refuses to rule out Loveland shooting link
by Jason Pohl, The Coloradoan, June 4, '15, 5:27 pm mdt

William Connole was

"walking along the street when he was shot"

[...]

"west of Osborn Park and southeast of the intersection of U.S. 34 and U.S. Highway 287."

[...]

"The location differs from that of the other two linked shootings — a highway onramp and a quiet country road."

65-year-old Loveland man found shot to death on sidewalk; Police check link to 2 random shootings

Anica Padilla, Phil Tenser
7News Denver 7:16 am, Jun 4, '15, 2 hrs ago

Loveland Police Chief Luke Hecker said

""Pieces of evidence that have been collected for this investigation are currently being channeled in and around the task force,"

[...]

"Channel what might be fear into being productive. Help us look...

Pay attention in your neighborhoods.

Look for things that may be out of place.

[...]

and "double up"

The victim in Loveland was identified by the coroner as William Roger Connole, Jr. He was killed by a gunshot to the chest.
7News Denver ABC

*posting for reference, sorry if repeat

Late in the game here, but no one heard anything? Silencer maybe? Have shots been heard in other shootings? Please all of you in the area, stay safe and go out as little as possible until the perp is caught.

I live in Colorado East of this area, however travel there often for doctor and shopping. As far as not hearing anything, at that hour of the night many would be in bed, most houses you would not hear the gunshot (s) unless you had your windows open or were out on your porch. I know unless gunshots are close by I overlook them as its not an uncommon sound where I live. (you can hear up to two hundred a day or more during certain seasons of the year). I feel so bad for this man's family. I just sit and think how are they going to catch this guy/gal? Unless he gets sloppy, or talks when drunk, this is just so concerning.
IMHO

Hopefully there are enough cameras around to spot something.

Just saw that the area is described as being rural, so the chance of cameras is slimmer and the chance of shots fired (hunting) increases.

I'm local...on the south side of this situation...most concerning was Chief Hecker recommending that we double up and share company...I mean, what do we look out for?

SearchingGirl, good question... With cell phone/s, cameras, linked to social media, the American public is analogous to a security camera across the landscape of the USA; a very valuable investigative resource.. Although some hold back evidence/info by law enforcement may be necessary for a possible later prosecution. It is imperative that investigators be as transparent with the citizens as possible..
An aware citizenry provides for a much safer public.. Public Safety is the saving of Lives and Property..
Prosecutions should be secondary, imo..

Imo, the 'CO Shooter Task Force' is playing into the shooter/serial killer/s hand by squandering this very valuable investigative resource.. Silence by LE is the predators most lethal weapon and only causes more innocent lives lost and mounting cold cases, imo..

After reading the safety tips suggested in the following article, my question/s would be; 'how do you use good discretion in your public safety decisions, when there is a possible unknown serial killer arbitrarily preying on unsuspecting victims'? Wouldn't doubling up with somebody in a car, or sharing company with each other in the community provide even more targets for the shooter.
<snipped from news conference article>
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...cted-to-two-other-northern-colorado-shootings

LOVELAND, Colo. - Officers and investigators from several departments suspect that three shootings in northern Colorado may all be connected. Two people have died in the shootings.

"There is a tendency for fear," Hecker acknowledged. "We ask and implore our community members to use good discretion in your public safety. I think it's a good idea, even when you're walking, when you have an opportunity to double up with somebody in a car, share company with each other in the community to the extent that you possibly can."

Foxfire

What do you make of the shooters patterns so far? Why inert on the weekends and at peak mid week, at night, if all the incidents are linked? This hit seems closer to home, to me, for some reason, or an area that's very familiar and safe feeling for the perp, still constricted by geography, time, maybe cover of some sort? There seems a consistent pattern with escalation of wanting to get a kill and attention, to me. Does any of this make sense to you?

Hopefully there are enough cameras around to spot something.

The location is an older residential area in Loveland. Thee are a couple of businesses on the corner of 1st and St. Louis but I doubt either one has surveillance cameras.

Google street view is here and it hasn't changed since the images were taken. I have family in Loveland and drive through this intersection on occasion.

Wouldn't doubling up with somebody in a car, or sharing company with each other in the community provide even more targets for the shooter?
My intuition is telling me this predator when he acted thought he was totally alone with his prey... and could get away with it without being seen or even heard...

Foxfire

What do you make of the shooters patterns so far? Why inert on the weekends and at peak mid week, at night, if all the incidents are linked? This hit seems closer to home, to me, for some reason, or an area that's very familiar and safe feeling for the perp, still constricted by geography, time, maybe cover of some sort? There seems a consistent pattern with escalation of wanting to get a kill and attention, to me. Does any of this make sense to you?

makes sense to me...the perpetrator obviously figured out that it's easier, more effective, and he gets more limelight to kill a cyclist or pedestrian than a human in a moving vehicle...not that it's any safer driving...I just don't know what to think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanamburga