CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they cancelled the triathlon:

Cyclist shot and killed near Windsor: FBI joins investigation and search for suspect
Triathlon canceled after shooting
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...s-concerned-after-cyclist-was-shot-and-killed

"WINDSOR, Colo. - The Federal Bureau of Investigations is now working to find out who shot and killed a cyclist riding near Windsor Monday.

Windsor Police are still searching for a suspect in the shooting death of John Jacoby."

Snip

"The organizer of a sprint triathlon, the Pelican Fest, scheduled to take place in Windsor on Saturday decided Tuesday to cancel the event.

"My decision was based on the overall safety of all the athletes, volunteers, traffic control personnel, spectators and vendors," said Dennis*Vanderheiden. "The proximity of the shooting death and the bike course gave me real concerns."

I just want to put something in perspective for any people out of Colorado, or if you haven't been here...everyone rides their bikes around here everywhere...its part of the Colorado culture.

CO Possible Serial Shooter Case Map

1. 11:15 am, Tue, April 21, Shattered Jail Van
  2. 09:50 pm, Wed, April 22, shattered rear window
  3. 11:15 pm, Wed, April 22, woman shot in the neck
  4. 12:10 pm, Thu, April 23, shattered front driver side window
  5. 09:50 am, Tue, April 28, shattered driver side window#5
  6. Between 10, Wed, April 29, shattered passenger seat rear
  7. and 11:00 am , Wed, April 29, shattered passenger window
  8. Early afternoon, Thu, May 7 a window
  9. 10 am found, Mon, May 18, Shot twice, fatally

Found this, however it is in no way certain that this kind of vehicle is that of the shooters:

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...state-shooting-larimer-sheriff-says/26504939/

Quote:
The sheriff's office last week said the only description of the suspect vehicle was that it was a dark-colored SUV.

Quote:
The injured Milliken woman told investigators that was the only vehicle she remembers seeing prior to being shot..

Re: Kai's post above about the DC sniper/LE pulling over every van: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...orado-Drivers-on-Edge&p=11785258#post11785258

I forgot the initial description in the attack on the lady was descried as a dark colored SUV---
How crazy would that be, pulling over every dark SUV in the area...

I believe there might be a shooting range between Windsor and Longmont...just east of I-25 on Hwy 66...

Thank you for sending me the text from this article FHG since I can't view it!

"Bill Cates, manager and firearms instructor at Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply in Fort Collins, said he's not buying that rocks or road debris are the culprits. He said he believes it's "definitely a projectile from a firearm," specifically BBs from a high-powered BB gun, which he said will shatter windows but not necessarily penetrate them. He said a 22-caliber rifle would also cause similar damage.

Anything else, Cates said, would leave "an exit channel" elsewhere in the vehicles.

Jacob Paulsen, owner and founder of U.S. Firearms Training in Arvada, mostly agreed with Cates. He said anything larger than a BB or pellet gun would leave a hole, though a hollow point .22 caliber might only shatter the window.

"The shattering part makes a lethal firearms not plausible,'' Paulsen said. "A BB or pellet gun is debatably more plausible. Those would shatter it but it's a very difficult shot.''

He pointed out if someone was parallel to the vehicle and shot, you would assume the driver would notice. It the two vehicles were going in opposite directions, the shot would be virtually impossible. If someone was hiding along the road and shooting with a BB or pellet gun, which generally shoot their projectile at 900 to 1,200 feet per second, at a car moving 75 mph, it would require a remarkable shot.

"You would have to be a serious expert to hit a vehicle window moving at that speed,'' Paulsen said. "But even if you had bad accuracy you might hit that shot 1 out of 50 times.''

"What about road debris or rocks on the road, which was the cause of Monday's shattering incident on I-25 near Broomfield?

Tammy Olivett, owner of Ander's Auto Glass in Fort Collins, said she believes objects are hitting these windows, because windows randomly shattering on their own "is very, very rare." Spontaneous tempered vehicle glass shattering is rare and usually caused by damage during installation, the glass binding in the frame, defects in the glass or temperature stresses.

"Rocks, of course, can shatter windows, but that's far more common for windshields," Olivett said. None of the shattered windows has been a windshield.

Insurance companies are limited in how they track claims regarding broken windows. Reports are made daily for break-ins, and that category of theft differs from incidents that happen while driving. The latter falls under a motorist's comprehensive coverage, said State Farm spokeswoman Angela Thorpe.

Claims that happen while driving in Northern Colorado are extremely rare, especially in such rapid succession, she said.

"It's not something we see," she said. That stands for this year and years past.

She pointed out the lack of reporting doesn't mean it didn't happen. Comprehensive coverage is often the first to go when drivers trim costs, so drivers may have windows break but get it fixed without getting insurance agencies involved."

20150519__BN20150519_Z00_BNCD20WINDSOR~p1_200.jpg
"Cora Rogakis on Tuesday sets up a memorial for John Jacoby, a 48-year-old man who was killed while riding his bike along Weld County Road 15 on Monday".(Erin Hull, The Coloradoan)
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...icyclists-fatal-shooting?source=hot-topic-bar

"Officials say he was pedaling north on the two-lane road, which is flanked by farmland, when he was gunned down."

Snip

"The public has been helping in responding with tips, and the Windsor Police Department is following up on any information received," the release said.

Police did not say why federal agents are assisting with the investigation.

"As far as our role, the FBI is providing assistance in the capacity Windsor (Police Department) feels is needed," said Special Agent Amy Sanders, spokeswoman for the FBI's Denver office. "We are not providing additional details at this time as it is an ongoing, active investigation."

Wierd comment from the Denver Post, lol:
"The FBI has declined to comment on whether it is also investigating this case."

CO Possible Serial Shooter Case Map

1. 11:15 am, Tue, April 21, Shattered Jail Van
  2. 09:50 pm, Wed, April 22, shattered rear window
  3. 11:15 pm, Wed, April 22, woman shot in the neck
  4. 12:10 pm, Thu, April 23, shattered front driver side window
  5. 09:50 am, Tue, April 28, shattered driver side window#5
  6. ??:?? , Wed, April 29, shattered passenger seat rear
  7. ??:?? , Wed, April 29, shattered passenger window
  8. Early afternoon, Thu, May 7 a window
  9. 10 am found, Mon, May 18, Shot twice, fatally

still looking for a time on the 29th incidents, if anyone recalls a source on it?

Something about the times being in the morning, mid-day and night, never on weekends, or early evening makes me think the perp may have a job that takes him along those routes, and that he may have family commitments, at dinner time and weekends, or that may be when he works? Maybe he hates being stuck in traffic but it seems from the pattern that he has been challenging himself. Aiming at tighter targets, different approaches, not managing a kill, then picking on a dependable vulnerable bicycle rider, he kills with two shots. Definitely, anger issues, goes without saying. The jail van shooting seems reactionary. A shot at a big car, not maybe so much of a challenge as doing it for some reason, may be somebody who did time? Somebody getting it off instilling fear in a community he may resent, work he may resent, not happy in the morning or on his way back, very frustrated, and something set him off around the first day of Spring.

Wierd comment from the Denver Post, lol:
"The FBI has declined to comment on whether it is also investigating this case."

That reminds me of that Annie Hall scene where Woody Allen says he never does cocaine but asks if he can smell it.

Something about the times being in the morning, mid-day and night, never on weekends, or early evening makes me think the perp may have a job that takes him along those routes, and that he may have family commitments, at dinner time and weekends, or that may be when he works?

There was this guy, they call him the literary bug, he was dumping hundreds if not thousands of books for months along HWY 287 (quite close actually coincidentally)---his route to work brought him to the area where he was dumping all the books...in Jessica's case, when the perp was still out there, LE mentioned that the killer could be in the area for work. This is definitely and always a possibility, imo/.

Oiwwwww...fingers are crapping out, arthritis and too much typing, dang!

Something about the times being in the morning, mid-day and night, never on weekends, or early evening makes me think the perp may have a job that takes him along those routes, and that he may have family commitments, at dinner time and weekends, or that may be when he works? Maybe he hates being stuck in traffic but it seems from the pattern that he has been challenging himself. Aiming at tighter targets, different approaches, not managing a kill, then picking on a dependable vulnerable bicycle rider. Definitely, anger issues, goes without saying. The jail van shooting seems reactionary. Big truck, not maybe so much of a challenge as doing it for some reason, may be somebody who did time?

GREAT WORK ON THE POSTING THE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!Note to self to pick up here, fingers have turned into sausages....

What about a BB gun ? BBs are pretty small and could have been overlooked.

This article looks at the question of what kind of bullets / BBs might have been used.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...-cause-shattered-windows-interstate/27198323/

"Bill Cates, firearms instructor at Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply in Fort Collins, said... he believes it's "definitely a projectile from a firearm," specifically... a high-powered BB gun, which will shatter windows but not necessarily penetrate them. He said a 22-caliber rifle would also cause similar damage.

Anything else, Cates said, would leave "an exit channel" elsewhere in the vehicles.

Jacob Paulsen, owner and founder of U.S. Firearms Training in Arvada... If someone was hiding along the road and shooting with a BB or pellet gun, which generally shoot their projectile at 900 to 1,200 feet per second, at a car moving 75 mph, it would require a remarkable shot... . "But even if you had bad accuracy you might hit that shot 1 out of 50 times.''

So the shooter probably had to take a lot of shots to get one to hit a window. We should expect that more cars would have dings on their bodies from some shots that missed windows. Reports of fresh dings on car doors that drove I25 might give LE a fuller timeline and new physical evidence on the 'projectiles'. I'm not sure how you could drum up that kind of information, but it would be nice to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Psycho