CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The physics of it, and I say that with complete irony because physics is foreign to me, but I know how a hand drawn slingshot works, and this can't be that, even from the nearest bushes. At the speed of the car, to get the force it would have to be almost head on, even if mechanically drawn, then you see the pattern of the shatter up close, and it looks like the shot, I would guess a ball bearing or well rounded stone seems to have been shot from a low front on position in the weeds. From the glint of the sun you see on the car windshields in the last image, the sun may have been in the drivers eyes thus harder to see somebody positioned low, in the weeds, who took off on foot, I would guess. And kudos to the non-pulsed tractor driver who kept working while all hell was breaking loose around him.

The location of that truck sure doesnt give the shooter much cover which makes me think the shooter had to be in a passing van or box truck. In the last picture, you can see a white truck in the opposite lane and that is kind of what I am thinking at the moment.

Nobody would even think some shooter would be inside the box part of the truck and it would give the shooter all the cover he would need if somethign like that was happening.

I just cannot see the shooter being on the side of the road hiding because it seems once the truck stopped he would make a run for it and there would be witnesses seeing him run off or drive off. The lack of witnesses has me thinking he has to be hidden somehow.

As far as slingshots, the WristRocket Slingshot could break glass but this perp is very accurate and I just cannot see him getting the accuracy and results he has been getting with just a wristrocket slingshot.

Link below are the wristrocket slingshots. Whoa....I just noticed in the 3rd picture what looks to be a Crossbow Slingshot?

WTH is that? If someone mounted a scope on that crossbow slingshot, then they could do some damage and accurately with rocks. Hmmmm.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-004&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

The location of that truck sure doesnt give the shooter much cover which makes me think the shooter had to be in a passing van or box truck. In the last picture, you can see a white truck in the opposite lane and that is kind of what I am thinking at the moment.

Nobody would even think some shooter would be inside the box part of the truck and it would give the shooter all the cover he would need if somethign like that was happening.

I just cannot see the shooter being on the side of the road hiding because it seems once the truck stopped he would make a run for it and there would be witnesses seeing him run off or drive off. The lack of witnesses has me thinking he has to be hidden somehow.

As far as slingshots, the WristRocket Slingshot could break glass but this perp is very accurate and I just cannot see him getting the accuracy and results he has been getting with just a wristrocket slingshot.

Link below are the wristrocket slingshots. Whoa....I just noticed in the 3rd picture what looks to be a Crossbow Slingshot?

WTH is that? If someone mounted a scope on that crossbow slingshot, then they could do some damage and accurately with rocks. Hmmmm.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=yhs-mozilla-004&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

The driver was reported in MSM to have been in the center lane with no cars next to him or near him at the time, so I'm not sure, though I honor and respect your thoughts, that it would sound right, about the shot having been taken from another car, in the Westminster case. About the crossbow slingshot, I think you'd need experts with much more information than provided through MSM to make a good guess of what kind of weapon may have been used. Slingshots have been known to be effective in killing birds and rabbits, small prey, so it seems to me, a car window is not a difficult target if you had the timing just right, a lot of practice and time to play your luck. There may be evidence of practice shots around there too, it seems possible. Going back from the shatter pattern it seems to me to have been a comparatively large object, going for a big bang, not to hit the driver.

posted for reference:

3 drivers report passenger windows shattering in Aurora; cops say projectiles from BB or pellet gun
TheDenverChannel.com Team
June 17, 15

from 11:24 am

In each of the cases, the drivers

"told police that there were no other cars on the road."

[...LE stated]

"said the windows that shattered was the passenger-door window."

[...]

"One window was shattered, the other two were broken, but the projectile didn't go completely through the glass

they don't know if the targeted windows in Aurora are copycat incidents, kids playing with a BB-gun, or something else, and are not releasing any photos of the cars."

[... they]

"plan to reach out to each victims to see if they will talk about what happened."

~ * ~

3 cars' windows shattered overnight in Aurora
Blair Shiff, KUSA, 7:28 pm, mdt June 17, '15

It's reported the "windshields" were all hit while going east.

"East Hampden Avenue near Buckley Air Force Base."

Aurora PD firearms experts, it is reported, to state 'it was not bullets' and 'do not appear to be connected to I 25 cases based on the evidence.'

~ * ~

Three vehicles driving in Aurora have windows shattered overnight
Police: Incidents happened on Hampden Avenue near Buckley Road early Wednesday morning
By Kieran Nicholson, The Denver Post, 06/17/15

"She said the vehicles in Aurora likely had windows shot out by a pellet or BB gun. No Aurora residents reported hearing gunfire in the area early Wednesday morning.

"It did not come from a firearm. It's a small projectile," Lutkin said. "It's a pellet or BB, or something like that.""

~ * ~

Police investigate shattered truck window on I-25 in Westminster
By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

June 17, 15, 6:58 am,

in detailed report, speaks with LE about the Westminster shooting, the tip lines and most interesting reports,

"They're also checking camera's around the 144th Avenue overpass. That's the spot where the driver says he was under when the window shattered."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ado-now-being-reviewed-by-shooting-task-force

<snipped for Focus>

DENVER - Car windows that have shattered on northern Colorado highways are now being investigated by the task force looking into three shooting incidents -- which killed two people and wounded a third -- since April.
Thanks Foxfire -- I had read that article too, but if that is the most recent update on the issue, it appears that only two of the incidents have been linked thus far.

The information that has been released to the public is that two events are linked. IMO LE knows more than this and they just have not released that information yet.

Lots of crime and gangs in Aurora, jmo.

"Police say three vehicle's windows were shattered. The first one took place at 12:40 a.m. on Wednesday. The second incident was at 2:03 a.m., and the third incident was at 2:58 a.m."

3 cars' windows shattered overnight in Aurora
http://www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/17/aurora-car-windows/28859907/

I have to wonder if this is a copycat / gang activity, jmo.

Yep, that's a neighborhood issue. If that is linked to the Northern Colorado attacks, then the shooter has seriously changed his modus operandi. The Westminster incident OTOH does look like it is probably connected though. It's consistent with the other open space attacks. He does seem to be getting closer to Denver though. Maybe he is having to branch out of his area.

Assuming for a minute that the window shatterings involve someone shooting them out, then what is really mind boggling to me is the accuracy of the perp.

Most people do not realize the skill it takes to hit a moving target and especially if they are some distance away. Since the victims are not seeing whatever is happening to them, it tells me the perp must be using a Scope and must be some distance away. Unless they are in a Van or Box Truck like previously suggested and maybe the victim didnt consider that.

A couple of the victims said there was no car around them but I wonder if they considered a parked van or parked box truck that may have been nearby. The perp is a really good shot to be able to shoot out so many windows and do so from some distance.

I do think a Scope is on the weapon and short of the perp being in a Van or Box Truck I just cannot see how else he could be getting away with it without someone spotting a suspect vehicle close by. I dont think he would be on foot because carrying his weapon openly would be too obvious.

This is so bizarre and scary. The sheer number of window shatterings is mind boggling.

I'm not so sure about that. He could be shooting at a lot more cars, and missing. But we are only hearing about the ones he hits. Maybe he is only hitting 10% of his targets. In which case his shooting skill would be unremarkable.

Could the Westminster shooter have been parked or stopped here?

1VLKmrm.jpg

There are a lot of variables that have not been considered here. One, I would submit, is the likelihood of drivers to report that their windows have been shattered.

While I think that it's possible that someone is using something like a wrist rocket to break windows, especially in the wake of the fear that the media can generate, I also think it's possible that there are just more events being reported. Or indeed, there could be a shooter -- but I would eat my hat if s/he were responsible for all of these incidents.

And it's worth wondering why there is ballistic evidence for only 3 cases discussed here, of which only two are linked. I don't buy the frangible ammo theory for one second -- there would be evidence of their use for sure. These aren't magic bullets that disappear on contact, so this theory depends on incompetent LE (which I doubt, considering the resources here), or someone trying to sell us a bill of goods.

There are a lot of variables that have not been considered here. One, I would submit, is the likelihood of drivers to report that their windows have been shattered.

While I think that it's possible that someone is using something like a wrist rocket to break windows, especially in the wake of the fear that the media can generate, I also think it's possible that there are just more events being reported. Or indeed, there could be a shooter -- but I would eat my hat if s/he were responsible for all of these incidents.

And it's worth wondering why there is ballistic evidence for only 3 cases discussed here, of which only two are linked. I don't buy the frangible ammo theory for one second -- there would be evidence of their use for sure. These aren't magic bullets that disappear on contact, so this theory depends on incompetent LE (which I doubt, considering the resources here), or someone trying to sell us a bill of goods.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase quote

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ado-now-being-reviewed-by-shooting-task-force

DENVER - Car windows that have shattered on northern Colorado highways are now being investigated by the task force looking into three shooting incidents -- which killed two people and wounded a third -- since April.

Cori Romero was shot on April 22, when a bullet was fired through her driver-side window as she drove onto I-25 near Fort Collins. She was wounded and survived.

On May 18, Windsor cyclist, John Jacoby, was found shot to death near Weld County Roads 15 and 72.

On June 3, William Connole, Jr. was shot and killed at East First Street and Saint Louis Avenue in Loveland.

The task force, comprised the FBI and multiple northern Colorado law enforcement agencies, has linked the shootings of Romero and Jacoby. The task force has said the shooting death of Connole is likely linked to the other two shootings.

Frangible bullets will disintegrate upon contact with a surface harder than the bullet itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frangibility

I'm with you and will eat my hat "if he/she were responsible for all of these incidents." But we're agreed that he's responsible for a lot of them, right?

By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

"They're also checking camera's around the 144th Avenue overpass. That's the spot where the driver says he was under when the window shattered."

Attachments

• Window shattered under underpass.jpg
    Window shattered under underpass.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 40
I don't think anyone here is saying EVERY shattered window is linked to each other.
I don't think anyone here is saying EVERY window is linked to the people that were shot. That said, *I* fully believe a good number of them are linked. JMO, MOO, and all that jazz.

FindHG, that attachment is coming up invalid for me.

Thank you, redid it, for some reason it keeps doing that, and I have to go back and thumbnail them. The two most recent incidents are the purple dots

Co Case Map

Screenshot 2015-06-17 at 11.56.38 PM.png

Times and Location Distribution table updated with the most recent shatterings from the

Co Case Spreadsheet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-18 at 12.01.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-18 at 12.01.29 AM.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 37
I take your point, and agree that he'd have to be a good shot to hit a fast moving window with first shot. Or be a middlin' shot to hit one once after taking a bunch of shots.

I wonder how many shots he's missed (as others mentioned)!

By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

Jumping off this very possibly significant post (aerial advantage), can we isolate any high areas map-wise near of any of the other shatterings? Buildings? Other overpasses? Hills / topography?

http://www.co.weld.co.us/Departments/GIS/
(Note to self to find and link other topographic maps...)

rsbm

Police investigate shattered truck window on I-25 in Westminster
By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

in detailed report, speaks with LE about the Westminster shooting, the tip lines and most interesting reports,

It will be interesting to see imo if the relationship / amount of communication with the public changes now that there is a possible link to westminster (their PD was very communicative with the public during Jessica Ridgeway's case... will we hear from Trevor Matteraso, LE spokesman iirc)? Facebook updates, give us a perp profile, like they did before, IF they find a link?

Eta: it looks like they are already at it:
&#8220;We are asking all drivers along the I-25 corridor to remain aware of their surroundings. If you see something that may be out of place or something just doesn&#8217;t feel right, please contact police immediately,&#8221; Westminster police said Tuesday night."
(:( flashbacks of Jessica, moo)

New article by MZ:
7NEWS tests what different car windows look like after they're hit with a rock, shot by a bullet
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...after-theyre-hit-with-a-rock-shot-by-a-bullet
*video at link

Mr. Zelinger test:

[video=youtube;r4wjy9LwavY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4wjy9LwavY[/video]

Re: Aurora

WestWorld's Update
By Micheal Roberts 6/17/15

Thorough, please note it includes excerpts, quotes, graphics, as Mr. Robert reports on the information worth checking out, both as a overview and update.

[...]

"At this writing, a definitive link has yet to be established. However, the federal task force looking into the Jacoby and Romero matters is now confirming that it's investigating the Connole case, too, due to the similarity in circumstances between it and the other two attacks."

[...LE is calling out to]

anyone who might have been in the area where Connole was killed, as well as to the driver of a white SUV seen near the site of the Jacoby homicide.

~ * ~

http://www.reporterherald.com/news/...a-have-windows-shattered-police-investigating (updated)

http://www.bigcountry979.com/onair/shawn-patrick-55196/three-more-car-windows-in-colorado-13688791 (brief, nice image of unrelated shot out car window)

By Mark Meredith, FOX31,

Cori Romero was shot on April 22, when a bullet was fired through her driver-side window as she drove onto I-25 near Fort Collins. If my memory is correct, CR was on either an entrance or exit ramp when she was shot. There is either a ramp or access road adjacent to the 144th Avenue bridge in the pic above.

Cori Romero was shot on April 22, when a bullet was fired through her driver-side window as she drove onto I-25 near Fort Collins. If my memory is correct, CR was on either an entrance or exit ramp when she was shot. There is either a ramp or access road adjacent to the 144th Avenue bridge in the pic above.

Exactly! The little red car from last week was just off the highway too. If you look as the map, most of the incidents are near an entrance to the highways, even in Mr. Connole's case, his street is pn a main road to the highways. It's spooky following the map along the highway from incident to incident, though I know it's may be misleading to do, you get this sense of somebody as you've described them, escalating, especially on the 4/28 and 29, would have been a remarkable day for him.

Could this creep have hung out at businesses along the highway to think over his hits? Could he be tapping into public feed traffic cams to see the reaction after a hit?

It will be interesting to see imo if the relationship / amount of communication with the public changes now that there is a possible link to westminster (their PD was very communicative with the public during Jessica Ridgeway's case... will we hear from Trevor Matteraso, LE spokesman iirc)? Facebook updates, give us a perp profile, like they did before, IF they find a link?

Eta: it looks like they are already at it:
&#8220;We are asking all drivers along the I-25 corridor to remain aware of their surroundings. If you see something that may be out of place or something just doesn&#8217;t feel right, please contact police immediately,&#8221; Westminster police said Tuesday night."
(:( flashbacks of Jessica, moo)

New article by MZ:
7NEWS tests what different car windows look like after they're hit with a rock, shot by a bullet
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...after-theyre-hit-with-a-rock-shot-by-a-bullet
*video at link

[Posts Consolidated by me]

Jumping off this very possibly significant post (aerial advantage), can we isolate any high areas map-wise near of any of the other shatterings? Buildings? Other overpasses? Hills / topography?

http://www.co.weld.co.us/Departments/GIS/
(Note to self to find and link other topographic maps...)

Westminster shattered under overpass.png~Mr. Bill Connole.png~Miss Cori Romaro - Edited.jpg~Red car Drivers Window.jpg

Thank you for this information. Let's see what we can do.

I'm not so sure about that. He could be shooting at a lot more cars, and missing. But we are only hearing about the ones he hits. Maybe he is only hitting 10% of his targets. In which case his shooting skill would be unremarkable.

Its a very good point.

The thing that I cant get past is the center of the window seems to have been hit almost perfectly in the center in at least a couple of the incidents.

If the vehicle is going 55-60 MPH, It would be tough to use a slingshot and nail the center. The "feet per second" of a slingshot is a lot slower than lets say a C02 Pellet gun with a scope. It kind of lends itself to some sort of gun since the second he pulled the trigger, then it would basically hit where he was aiming even if the target was going around 55MPH. So I could see him doing that with a gun.
With a slower FPS (feet per second) slingshot it would be tougher to hit the center of window.

But its a great point that we dont know how many "misses" he may have had before he finally nails a car.

The victims not seeing another car is really strange because if passenger window being hit, then it seems the person would be in the field to the right and just so surprised nobody saw anyone.

Maybe by the time the victims are stopping they are well past where the perp was so maybe it is not too difficult for the perp to just walk or drive away if they were like on a 4-wheeler or off-road motorcycle or something. I did notice a tractor in the field to the right of one of the victims. The perp could have crawled into something like that and had an easy view of the road.

This case is so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member