CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the Four local LEAs involved in the CO Shooter Task Force, only one utilizes social media and has an active Facebook page to inform their citizenry;
Weld County Sheriff's Office
https://www.facebook.com/weldcountysheriff?fref=ts&rf=291704200988281

Interesting new survey commissioned by LexisNexis in 2014 aimed to better understand how the role of social media in law enforcement investigations is changing. This infographic shows key survey results and provides insights on how law enforcement is using social media for investigations, crime prevention and community outreach efforts. - See more at: http://www.lexisnexis.com/risk/insi...l-media-infographic.aspx#sthash.5GGVDaH6.dpuf

Social Media Use in Law Enforcement: November 2014
Crime prevention and investigative activities continue to drive usage

Social media is increasingly valuable to the way law enforcement
professionals operate in both crime prevention and investigation. However,
as social media use becomes more prevalent, there remain many questions
regarding how exactly it is utilized to optimal effect in criminal investigations.

The LexisNexis 2014 Social Media Use in Law Enforcement report looks at current practices and processes and how
the landscape has changed over the last two years in addition to new survey
research areas.

Research Objectives
To assess the law enforcement community – particularly those involved in
crime investigations – and their understanding of, proclivity to use, and actual
use of social media in law enforcement efforts.
To understand current resources and processes being used by law
enforcement when leveraging social media intelligence in investigations.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/risk/downloads/whitepaper/2014-social-media-use-in-law-enforcement.pdf

I would think that with 160 years of LE experience, between the the leaders of the CO Serial Shooter task force, they'd know the following quote about criticizing the media;

"Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel."
- Mark Twain quote..

TASK FORCE: NO EVIDENCE GLASS SHATTERINGS TIED TO SHOOTINGS
http://www.westword.com/news/task-force-no-evidence-glass-shatterings-tied-to-shootings-6726797

More recently, the task force put out a call for information about the driver of a white Ford Explorer seen in the area of the Jacoby shooting — and the response had negative repercussions, according to the letter. Here's an excerpt:

For example, after other methods were unsuccessful at locating the driver of a white Ford Explorer that was in the area around the time of John Jacoby’s shooting, we put out a request for anyone with information on that possible vehicle to contact us. We made it as clear as possible that this driver was not considered a suspect, but just someone we needed to identify and speak with. However, within hours, some media sources began stating that this was our suspect. Because of that, we spoke with several citizens who were scared to call and scared to drive their white Ford Explorers in Northern Colorado because of the reports of that style of vehicle being the suspect vehicle.

This isn't the letter's only example of press criticism. Another passage reads:

We know there are a variety of pundits with varying degrees of experience who are speculating on the case based on what they have read, heard or seen in the media. While the task force doesn’t have all the answers we need yet, we do know definitively that they have monumentally more facts on the cases than those who are publicly speculating. And the task force moves forward from the lessons learned in previous serial shooting cases.

- Mark Twain quote..

rsbm --

Hey, thanks for that terrific quotation! Twain was a master. Mind you, he was likely paid by the word as many of his contemporaries were, but he would have been a bargain at any price, and if I've read that aphorism before I did not remember it.

I would think that with 160 years of LE experience, between the the leaders of the CO Serial Shooter task force, the'd know the following quote about criticizing the media;

- Mark Twain quote..

TASK FORCE: NO EVIDENCE GLASS SHATTERINGS TIED TO SHOOTINGS
http://www.westword.com/news/task-force-no-evidence-glass-shatterings-tied-to-shootings-6726797

More recently, the task force put out a call for information about the driver of a white Ford Explorer seen in the area of the Jacoby shooting — and the response had negative repercussions, according to the letter. Here's an excerpt:

For example, after other methods were unsuccessful at locating the driver of a white Ford Explorer that was in the area around the time of John Jacoby’s shooting, we put out a request for anyone with information on that possible vehicle to contact us. We made it as clear as possible that this driver was not considered a suspect, but just someone we needed to identify and speak with. However, within hours, some media sources began stating that this was our suspect. Because of that, we spoke with several citizens who were scared to call and scared to drive their white Ford Explorers in Northern Colorado because of the reports of that style of vehicle being the suspect vehicle.

This isn't the letter's only example of press criticism. Another passage reads:

We know there are a variety of pundits with varying degrees of experience who are speculating on the case based on what they have read, heard or seen in the media. While the task force doesn’t have all the answers we need yet, we do know definitively that they have monumentally more facts on the cases than those who are publicly speculating. And the task force moves forward from the lessons learned in previous serial shooting cases.

In this case, the press has been excellent about information gathering and responsible to the hilt, as far as I can see. It's a very stressful situation with few public answers, to eliminate a wide array of doubt for the public. I think the dynamic may change as information comes in and gets analyzed.

In this case, the press has been excellent about information gathering and responsible to the hilt, as far as I can see. It's a very stressful situation with few public answers, to eliminate a wide array of doubt for the public. I think the dynamic may change as information comes in and gets analyzed.

I agree, FindHG.. I've been reading the local's feedback on the Task Force Letter to the community articles. Most are throwing the BS flag on the road debris window shattering theory.. One poster said that the road debris explanation was hard to swallow...

I agree, FindHG.. I've been reading the local's feedback on the Task Force Letter to the community articles. Most are throwing the BS flag on the road debris window shattering theory.. One poster said that the road debris explanation was hard to swallow...

hmm when was the first and last snowfall and melt before floods in NOCO? I should be able to pull the info up and together, but it wouldn't be the same as what people there know it to have been like. We have great WS posts from eyes on in place sleuthers, IIRC, up thread, who described it some? I think if you overlay weather patterns over shattered events, you may be able to distinguish a little bit more if it's natural or human causes.

I think you're totally right, this guy (or guys) wants attention and he's not getting it. I believe he (or they) will escalate in due time. I live in Aurora, CO, (I'm from New Orleans though and I don't know my new area all that well yet. Love CO, by the way, but not loving this situation!), and a few weeks ago I was "joking" with my husband saying I wonder how long before the sniper moves down to Denver and Aurora? I laughed (not in a comical way) and said I'm surprised the shooter hadn't made their way to the city yet, since they'd have so many more victims to choose from and the chance to cause real chaos. You know what they say about intuition and "jokes" of speculation about some kind of danger ...

Side note, thanks a loooot you guys for sharing the Aurora shattered windows because I sure as heck didn't see any of that in the news here. I am officially freaked out. I was literally on Buckley and Hampden on Friday night the 19th, going to the movies!! Literally right smack in that area. My blood kinda ran cold when I read that.

I think you're totally right, this guy (or guys) wants attention and he's not getting it. I believe he (or they) will escalate in due time. I live in Aurora, CO, (I'm from New Orleans though and I don't know my new area all that well yet. Love CO, by the way, but not loving this situation!), and a few weeks ago I was "joking" with my husband saying I wonder how long before the sniper moves down to Denver and Aurora? I laughed (not in a comical way) and said I'm surprised the shooter hadn't made their way to the city yet, since they'd have so many more victims to choose from and the chance to cause real chaos. You know what they say about intuition and "jokes" of speculation about some kind of danger ...

Side note, thanks a loooot you guys for sharing the Aurora shattered windows because I sure as heck didn't see any of that in the news here. I am officially freaked out. I was literally on Buckley and Hampden on Friday night the 19th, going to the movies!! Literally right smack in that area. My blood kinda ran cold when I read that.

A new poster to the thread, I think? Welcome! And from the case area. Please stay with us!

But don't let the thread scare you. This stuff in NOCO is childsplay compared with routine mayhem in New Orleans. I love y'all, but you do tend shoot one another a lot.

~~~:welcome:~~~

mrscg!

I'm sorry that you've joined because of the tense situation in your new town. Very much appreciate your sharing your perspective on this and how it is being played in the media in Aurora. Those particular shattered incident are on a layer on the map you can be turn on and off. I agree with every point you make and find your impressions most useful, so please keep pitching in.

A new poster to the thread, I think? Welcome! And from the case area. Please stay with us!

But don't let the thread scare you. This stuff in NOCO is childsplay compared with routine mayhem in New Orleans. I love y'all, but you do tend shoot one another a lot.

Shootings in New Orleans aren't random, there's usually some reason for them, Forager, it seems to me like comparing apples to oranges, tweaking your impression very respectfully. That said, which isn't much, the situation in NOCO seem/s much more intense as there is such a wide array of doubts that have been raised over a broad yet consistent area, with still very few solid parameters due to lack of information, it seems possible to me.

Still not believing Colorado has weird,mutant, sideways flying, window smashing road debris.

THANK YOU. I am also so totally not buying that. I have never ever seen this happen in my 28 years of life- ever. A pebble causing a spider crack in your windshield? Sure. A bunch of windows, including side and rear windows, being busted out and shattered by invisible (I'm in CO, the roads and highways are very clean and well-kept from what I've seen in my time here so far. Would we not be seeing all this weird, mutant, sideways flying road debris?) road debris while an active, known car window shooter is running around? No, just no.

Hi, everyone! Yes, I'm new. Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked for a long time but always forget my username by the time I attempt to log in haha. I'll totally stay with you guys.

Well you have a point in a way about New Orleans. The difference is, I am familiar with that routine mayhem and pretty much know how to spot the kind of trouble that goes on there. I'm keenly aware of warning signs of NOLA dangers, and so New Orleans honestly doesn't frighten me like that. Plus, like any good New Orleanian, I had a CC permit for LA and lots of metal things that go "bang" lol (don't judge me, I'm Southern and grew up in the war zone of NOLA). This faceless, nameless sniper who is shooting indiscriminately mere miles from me is much scarier.

~~~:welcome:~~~

mrscg!

I'm sorry that you've joined because of the tense situation in your new town. Very much appreciate your sharing your perspective on this and how it is being played in the media in Aurora. Those particular shattered incident are on a layer on the map you can be turn on and off. I agree with every point you make and find your impressions most useful, so please keep pitching in.

Thanks :) I actually joined way before, I think because I was researching Amanda Knox stuff. Glad I came across this thread, though! Honestly, I don't quite feel like a local yet, so I don't know how much of an authority I could be for you guys. But I'll start looking more closely. As an interesting side note, I actually live a mere few miles from the Batman Shooting theater ...

Shootings in New Orleans aren't random, there's usually some reason for them, Forager, it seems to me like comparing apples to oranges, tweaking your impression very respectfully. That said, which isn't much, the situation in NOCO seem/s much more intense as there is such a wide array of doubts that have been raised over a broad yet consistent area, with still very few solid parameters due to lack of information, it seems possible to me.

Precisely. In New Orleans, most violent crime is contained to being among the city's underbelly- drug turf, "gang" (NOLA doesn't have actual gangs) wars, and general violence among that element. You will mostly be okay if you know what you're looking for. But I will say that in recent years, this kind of crime has been getting less hidden and more boldly in your face. The people who commit these crimes do not seem to care any longer about opening fire on a crowded street, even in front of the police. They simply don't care. Part of that is probably due to the New Orleans phenomena called the "60-day murder", but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarQueen View Post
Still not believing Colorado has weird,mutant, sideways flying, window smashing road debris.

THANK YOU. I am also so totally not buying that. I have never ever seen this happen in my 28 years of life- ever. A pebble causing a spider crack in your windshield? Sure. A bunch of windows, including side and rear windows, being busted out and shattered by invisible (I'm in CO, the roads and highways are very clean and well-kept from what I've seen in my time here so far. Would we not be seeing all this weird, mutant, sideways flying road debris?) road debris while an active, known car window shooter is running around? No, just no.

Welcome to the thread mrscg...Thanx for your insight..
We've sleuthed quite a few cases in NOLO, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, etc. over the years. The Mickey Shunick <LA> case took us all over the state and beyond.. Her amazing sister CS has founded a missing person org; FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW! SEARCH RESOURCES https://www.facebook.com/groups/360477814006959/864582180263184/?notif_t=group_activity

The Axeman of New Orleans - The Axeman's most famous letter

Hell, March 13, 1919
Esteemed Mortal:
They have never caught me and they never will. They have never seen me, for I am invisible, even as the ether that surrounds your earth. I am not a human being, but a spirit and a demon from the hottest hell. I am what you Orleanians and your foolish police call the Axeman.
Undoubtedly, you Orleanians think of me as a most horrible murderer, which I am, but I could be much worse if I wanted to. If I wished, I could pay a visit to your city every night. At will I could slay thousands of your best citizens, for I am in close relationship with the Angel of Death.

Now, to be exact, at 12:15 (earthly time) on next Tuesday night, I am going to pass over New Orleans. In my infinite mercy, I am going to make a little proposition to you people. Here it is:

I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of your people who do not jazz it on Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.
<snipped read more post #552 @ link> http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ey-Shunick-21-Lafayette-19-May-2012-38/page23
Date apprehended; never caught...

Sorry, I digress.. Road debris statistics are monitored by the National Highway Administration. These stats are updated every five years, but from what I understand the reporting from many municipalities in the past has been lacking at best. Road debris consists of many objects and substances. For instance objects falling from unsecured loads of vehicles. If these items were the culprits in the rash of window shatterings it would seem that they would be witnessed or easily located, imo..

Slow motion visual of a Frangible bullet hitting a hard surface
http://iccammo.com/know-ammo/frangible-bullets/
Whether you&#8217;re using a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, no other frangible ammunition gives law enforcement, military, or other first responders, the ability to safely train up close on reactive steel targets at virtually point-blank range. All of ICC&#8217;s bullets, buckshot, and slug&#8217;s micro-pulverize into a fine powder on impact.

Welcome to the thread mrscg...Thanx for your insight..
We've sleuthed quite a few cases in NOLO, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, etc. over the years. The Mickey Shunick <LA> case took us all over the state and beyond.. Her amazing sister CS has founded a missing person org; FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW! SEARCH RESOURCES https://www.facebook.com/groups/360477814006959/864582180263184/?notif_t=group_activity

The Axeman of New Orleans - The Axeman's most famous letter

Hell, March 13, 1919
Esteemed Mortal:
They have never caught me and they never will. They have never seen me, for I am invisible, even as the ether that surrounds your earth. I am not a human being, but a spirit and a demon from the hottest hell. I am what you Orleanians and your foolish police call the Axeman.
Undoubtedly, you Orleanians think of me as a most horrible murderer, which I am, but I could be much worse if I wanted to. If I wished, I could pay a visit to your city every night. At will I could slay thousands of your best citizens, for I am in close relationship with the Angel of Death.

Now, to be exact, at 12:15 (earthly time) on next Tuesday night, I am going to pass over New Orleans. In my infinite mercy, I am going to make a little proposition to you people. Here it is:

I am very fond of jazz music, and I swear by all the devils in the nether regions that every person shall be spared in whose home a jazz band is in full swing at the time I have just mentioned. If everyone has a jazz band going, well, then, so much the better for you people. One thing is certain and that is that some of your people who do not jazz it on Tuesday night (if there be any) will get the axe.
<snipped read more post #552 @ link> http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ey-Shunick-21-Lafayette-19-May-2012-38/page23
Date apprehended; never caught...

Sorry, I digress.. Road debris statistics are monitored by the National Highway Administration. These stats are updated every five years, but from what I understand the reporting from many municipalities in the past has been lacking at best. Road debris consists of many objects and substances. For instance objects falling from unsecured loads of vehicles. If these items were the culprits in the rash of window shatterings it would seem that they would be witnessed or easily located, imo..

Slow motion visual of a Frangible bullet hitting a hard surface
http://iccammo.com/know-ammo/frangible-bullets/
Whether you&#8217;re using a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, no other frangible ammunition gives law enforcement, military, or other first responders, the ability to safely train up close on reactive steel targets at virtually point-blank range. All of ICC&#8217;s bullets, buckshot, and slug&#8217;s micro-pulverize into a fine powder on impact.

NOLA has a deep rich culture, one of the three best places for that in America, according to Mark Twain. We paint unknown objects of fear or evil with traces and shades that make sense to ourselves, based on our need for safety, or to hold onto a notion of it. 'Debris or not debris?' isn't really the question, the question for me is, 'who might be doing whatever it is and killing in NOCO?'

'Why would they release the info of other agencies being involved in this investigation, yet not want to release the names of the other agencies to the public'?
The circumstances are showing no distinguishable patterns? I am at a loss...

<snipped from & BBM> 'The Letter'

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...r-to-public-includes-shattered-windows-update
Northern Colorado shootings task force sends letter to public, includes shattered windows update

Deb Stanley
6:19 AM, Jun 19, 2015

The letter explains that while the FBI, Windsor Police, Loveland Police, Larimer County Sheriff's Office, Weld County Sheriff's Office and other agencies are involved in this investigation, authorities don't want to release the names of the other agencies at this time.

The letter also explains that the task force is not releasing some information about their investigation on purpose.

"During a normal investigation, we might very likely outline the numbers and types of resources being used, however with the unique nature of this investigation we have concluded that revealing those kinds of specific details could be counterproductive to expeditiously solving these cases," the letter says.

As for the sharp increase in reports of shattered windows, the letter reiterates that so far, there is no connection to the shootings.

"To date, we have found no solid evidence that any of these incidents are related to our shootings," the letter says. "However, to be sure, we have assigned a work group at the task force to review any and all of these types of incidents that are being reported."

The letter goes on to say, "Not only have we not found physical evidence tying them together, but the circumstances are showing no distinguishable patterns. Again, we are not in a position to give too many details, but so far it seems most likely that these are being caused by road debris."

'Why would they release the info of other agencies being involved in this investigation, yet not want to release the names of the other agencies to the public'?

<snipped from & BBM> 'The Letter'

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...r-to-public-includes-shattered-windows-update
Northern Colorado shootings task force sends letter to public, includes shattered windows update

Deb Stanley
6:19 AM, Jun 19, 2015

The letter explains that while the FBI, Windsor Police, Loveland Police, Larimer County Sheriff's Office, Weld County Sheriff's Office and other agencies are involved in this investigation, authorities don't want to release the names of the other agencies at this time.

The letter also explains that the task force is not releasing some information about their investigation on purpose.

"During a normal investigation, we might very likely outline the numbers and types of resources being used, however with the unique nature of this investigation we have concluded that revealing those kinds of specific details could be counterproductive to expeditiously solving these cases," the letter says.

As for the sharp increase in reports of shattered windows, the letter reiterates that so far, there is no connection to the shootings.

"To date, we have found no solid evidence that any of these incidents are related to our shootings," the letter says. "However, to be sure, we have assigned a work group at the task force to review any and all of these types of incidents that are being reported."

The letter goes on to say, "Not only have we not found physical evidence tying them together, but the circumstances are showing no distinguishable patterns. Again, we are not in a position to give too many details, but so far it seems most likely that these are being caused by road debris."

I come back to this...
[video=youtube;KCJVu-lGXIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCJVu-lGXIg[/video]

[forshortened for focus]

With as much data as they have to work with, I've got to believe that the Task Force's analysts are distinguishing plenty of patterns, but aren't yet at the point of knowing which ones are 'real' and which illusory. From a manager's or spokesman's point of view, that might well translate to "no distinguishable patterns" or at least no discussable ones.

They may be right to set the balance of sharing vs. withholding information where they have, fairly conservatively. I'm sure they don't need us to distinguish patterns for them, and they may be preserving tactical advantages by keeping the perp. in ignorance of what they know. It's hard to know whether those advantages will outweigh the disadvantages of keeping the public in ignorance of the same information. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeMi2019