CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
']Why would they release the info of other agencies being involved in this investigation, yet not want to release the names of the other agencies to the public'?
The circumstances are showing no distinguishable patterns? I am at a loss...

That is weird. Maybe the names of the " other" agencies will show LE's hand. Anyone have thoughts on what " agencies" HAVENT been named? ( agencies that make some kind of sense?) ATF?

That is weird. Maybe the names of the " other" agencies will show LE's hand. Anyone have thoughts on what " agencies" HAVENT been named? ( agencies that make some kind of sense?) ATF?
Hi SugarQueen ... When the window last Tuesday was blown out near 144th thedenverchannel reported on the air that undercover CBI was on the scene...it stood out in my mind because I always think it strange when they report "undercover"...

At the time the Task Force started up, just after the Jacoby shooting, the I-25 shootings were centered more compactly in Larimer and Weld counties and the task force included only Weld and Larimer sheriffs, the FBI, and police departments and DA's from within the county. Loveland PD was added when Connole was shot.

Since then there have been two window shattering incidents (one car in Westminster and a set of three in Aurora) which were south of both Larimer and Weld. There have also been a few shooting incidents south of the two counties that shared some aspects of the ones we have been following but didn't quite seem to fit, but which were never really ruled out from what we could see in MSM. One example is the unexplained shooting of Antonio Ruiz, found in a field off of a road near the Denver Airport on 6/3/15. The Task Force might still be addressing some of them with the assistance of undisclosed local LE outfits.

We have a map 'layer', usually turned "OFF", that reports that and other incidents that we have considered, but put to one side as seemingly (or definitely) unrelated. Another layer includes markers for law enforcement agencies whose names have come up during the course of the case.

I am just guessing of course, but I would think maybe there have been other police departments and sheriff offices in other parts of Colorado, and perhaps southern Wyoming that provided information or been asked for information, etc. They don't want to name them right now because A) it could cause people to panic and/or B) they don't want a suspect to know they are perhaps getting close. I would be surprised if the ATF isn't involved in some way, to be honest, and I can't think of a reason why they would need to keep them secret. I am sure ATF has tons of data and experience with all sorts of projectiles hitting glass, inclusing BBs or pellets or rocks.

Hey guys, thoughts on this?

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/18/one-dead-five-injured-in-i-76-rollover-in-brighton/

This was a wreck that happened in Brighton, CO, right near a street called Buckley Rd. If you recall, the three Aurora window shatterings happened right by a different street called South Buckley Rd. This accident gave me pause for a few reasons. The first and most obvious being that it happened in Brighton, so you have to wonder. Secondly, they wrecked because their tire blew out; BUT, a tire could also be shot out, couldn't it? There were witnesses, according to the article, but a bullet could certainly be missed by the human eye. Lastly, the street near where it happened shares a name with the Aurora incidents street, which raised raised my hackles. Coincidence? Or is the tin foil hatting strong in me?

This was a wreck that happened in Brighton, CO, right near a street called Buckley Rd. If you recall, the three Aurora window shatterings happened right by a different street called South Buckley Rd. This accident gave me pause for a few reasons. The first and most obvious being that it happened in Brighton, so you have to wonder. Secondly, they wrecked because their tire blew out; BUT, a tire could also be shot out, couldn't it? There were witnesses, according to the article, but a bullet could certainly be missed by the human eye. Lastly, the street near where it happened shares a name with the Aurora incidents street, which raised raised my hackles. Coincidence? Or is the tin foil hatting strong in me?

beep. beep. mrscg... it's okay to look at a thing from every angel possible, thank you for mentioning it. I had a similar impression. Can you find other incidents with similar patterns? I see what you mean about this incident being seeming related, but we're all going to be looking for just that. The area in the picture looks similar to where Mr. Jacoby was shot, as well, if you look through the pictures in the photo gallery of the news you posted, msrcg. I imagine scrutiny being intense on I 25 may push the perp elsewhere not too far away. People did see a blowout and roll over and LE's comment was about seat belt safety and not about an investigation much. I guess there's a concern, as LE's recent statement indicates not to cause undue alarm. I imagine any crash would be investigated precisely, in terms of what may have caused this tragic loss of a father and injury to the mom and their young family, just before Father's Day weekend.

I'm pulled in two directions on that. A wheel is only a couple of feet from a window, but it seems a big departure from the norm. And our window guy doesn't seem to favor I-76. (Or maybe there's just less road debris on it). We only have one shattering report along I-76, and it was back in January. (The screen shot only shows window shatterings, with the other layers turned off).

I've put it on the map for now, as a yellow teardrop, but don't think I can keep it there for long. To hard to defend. Or at the least the first one is. Let's see how things develop.

Screenshot 2015-06-23 at 1.44.49 AM.png

I remember being pulled in two directions on that. A wheel is only a couple of feet from a window. But our window guy doesn't seem to favor I-76. We only have one shattering report along I-76, and it was back in January. I don't think I could put it this one on the map and keep it there for long. To hard to defend. Or at the least the first one is. Let's see how things develop.

Gotcha! However, the perp does not seem to have a very established pattern or M.O., the way I see it. So that makes it harder to rule out. For example, the Aurora incidents were way outside of his general operating area. Anyway, I agree it's tenuous but you never know!

Welcome to the thread mrscg... . Thanx for your insight..
We've sleuthed quite a few cases in NOLO, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, etc. over the years... [abridged, in response, for focus]

Sorry, I digress.. Road debris statistics are monitored by the National Highway Administration. These stats are updated every five years, but from what I understand the reporting from many municipalities in the past has been lacking at best. Road debris consists of many objects and substances. For instance objects falling from unsecured loads of vehicles. If these items were the culprits in the rash of window shatterings it would seem that they would be witnessed or easily located, imo..

Slow motion visual of a Frangible bullet hitting a hard surface
http://iccammo.com/know-ammo/frangible-bullets/
Whether you’re using a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, no other frangible ammunition gives law enforcement, military, or other first responders, the ability to safely train up close on reactive steel targets at virtually point-blank range. All of ICC’s bullets, buckshot, and slug’s micro-pulverize into a fine powder on impact.

Can you remember how you got to those stats on road debris? I wandered around the National Highway Administration's maze of a website for a while without finding anything on it.

I found a Youtube video of ICC ballistic testing of its frangible bullet that includes a test a large bore pistol round vs. a front car window at a 45% angle.

Screenshot 2015-06-23 at 2.42.03 AM.jpg

By the time it finishes penetrating the laminated glass, the bullet seems to have become a cloud of dust around a metal disk that used to be its base. The widespread damage to the gelatin, in the picture above, starts right at the entry point into the gelatin. That works decently as an explanation of why we aren't seeing the second holes that you might expect from a solid round passing thru a passenger compartment. But the test results make it harder to make explain Cori Romero's wound. That is, of course, if laminated front window glass behaves like tempered side window glass, and if the caliber an variety of frangible that the shooter was using behaves the same as the one in the test, and if, and if... . We should find out some day though, no?

Screenshot 2015-06-23 at 2.42.10 AM.png

The Youtube Video: International Cartridge Corporation (ICC) Ballistics Testing, Ventura Munitions, Minute 1:56+

Seems like not the first time mysterious car window shatterings have occurred in the metro Denver area ...
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...hed-windows-on-3-moving-cars-in-jeffco-in-nov

Good find! Here's how Marshal Zelinger ticked off the incidents in his ABC 7 News piece of 11/19/13

" - A driver wonders if her car window was shot out... on E-470 near Pena Blvd. on 12/18/13... .
- On 7/24/13, a man was driving east on C-470 at Alameda Parkway when the passenger window of his truck shattered.
- On 11/14/13, a man was driving south on U.S. Hwy 285 near Hwy 8 when he heard a gunshot and the driver's side window shattered.
- On 11/19/13, a woman was driving west on C-470 near the Alameda Parkway when she heard a "loud boom" and the rear driver’s side window shattered.

The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office told 7NEWS that after that our report aired, more drivers came forward saying their windows also had previously shattered while driving, but that they just had never reported it to authorities."

The early work of our shooter? A coincidental flurry of accidental shatterings? Note that two of them occurred at almost the same location as one another - so close that the map markers for the two incidents look like a single one in the map screenshot below. The new 2013 reports are shown as yellow circles (the yellow teardrop is for the blown out tire incident we discussed yesterday). The screenshot is of the map with only the layer for the window shatterings displayed.

NOCO shatterings 6_23_15.png

Here's the map link

Officer just turned around a picture of an OLD beat up pick up truck, sketch is orange with multiple black spots on it

A person recently reported to the task force they were shot at the night of June 3 in the area of Denver Avenue and East Eisenhower Boulevard in Loveland. That is approximately two miles from East 1st Street and St. Louis Avenue where William Connole was shot during the late evening hours that same night. The person shot at was not injured.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ootings-new-info-to-be-released-by-task-force

Investigators believe it is likely these two incidents are related and is seeking information about this vehicle of interest. Specifically, the task force needs the public’s help in locating a 1970’s model, full-size, single cab Chevrolet or GMC pickup truck that is faded orange in color with a full-size bed. It is possibly a 1973 – 1979 model GM pickup based on the round headlight shape. The pickup is one color, faded orange, and has black primer on the driver’s side body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZogNCat