Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In cases where abused spouses kill their spouse, is the abuse considered in the sentencing as mitigating circumstances?

I'm not familiar with many of those cases I'll have to research but if anyone knows that'd be cool.
I’m sure that abuse can be viewed as a mitigating factor. It doesn’t mitigate killing your children though.

But it does give insight into what might have driven him over the edge. If indeed he did it without planning ahead. There is nothing I can imagine to get insight on either of them killing the little girls.
He had motive. He was exploring his sexuality outside of his marriage. The single lifestyle may have have been seen to cramp his style in that, what with custody visits and child support payments.

If I may, how do you know SW was a loving wife and mother? Or is that just YOO

ETA: I apologise I missed your JMO. So if I may, what leads you to believe she was a loving wife and mother?
I think... I hope... I have added JMO or something similar to each post. I think I would have been reprimanded otherwise.

More importantly, what would lead someone to say otherwise?

I don't think anyone has questioned whether he killed everyone. A lot of us are trying to figure out WHY? WHY did this happen? He is not Scott Peterson. He seemed like a doting husband and father. We are just exploring what happened? And literally what happened in that house? However, every time someone starts that path...the response is "but crude oil" and "how is this pertinant"..."and that's not a reason for murder".

Murderers often never disclose the reason why they committed the crime. If he's ultimately found guilty of the murder of his entire family but you still don't know the reason why, will you believe he’s guilty?

The jury gets to decide. Not you. Not me.

Not really. They are going to receive jury instructions which spell out the law to them.

The law provides what his possible defense are and what kind of facts might fit.

There's the heat of passion litigator. Self defense or defense of others and diminished responsibility.

The closest what you're trying to say would fit sounds like diminished capacity (insanity) because she drove him insane.

But he's going to need a lot of luck to prevail with that defense.

There are different degrees of murder. There are lessor charges. And yes, some parents kill their spouse in self defense of themselves or their children. That's what trials are for.

I agree with you in general. However, he isn't claiming he killed her in defense of himself or their children and has never said that. His story is that Bella was dead and Cece was actively being killed, which pissed him off, so he killed Shanann and their unborn son. IMO defending his children would have been trying to save his daughter(s) instead of taking that time to strangle his wife.

Yes. Typically judges want more than that. They want a pattern, or things like following, spying on, physical assault.

But technically that's enough. There's abusive talk but what's most important is that it is coupled with it is an implied threat.

They take that seriously.

I wish I'd known you back when.
:)

If I may, how do you know SW was a loving wife and mother? Or is that just YOO

ETA: I apologise I missed your JMO. So if I may, what leads you to believe she was a loving wife and mother?

Sorry I don't understand. How does CW being on suicide watch equate to SW being a good wife and mother?
She was pregnant and took the 2 toddlers on a 5 week vacation while leaving hubby with 5 weeks worth of freedom to do whatever.

That sounds like a good mom and wife to me. Very thoughtful of her indeed. Jmo

I think... I hope... I have added JMO or something similar to each post. I think I would have been reprimanded otherwise.

Exactly. I think she gets the benefit of the doubt in regards to being a loving wife and mother.

Unless there is evidence to the contrary, I think this is a safe assumption. And using Facebook videos as evidence that she wasn’t, is reckless.

I've stated it several times, but it's cool :)
I think it's more likely than not that cw killed them all. However, at this point, I have reasonable doubt with the girls. Subject to change with additional information.

I've considered tattooing that on my face, but a) y'all can't see me and b) ow c) gross

Lol

No need for the tattoo. I will search on the threads. :)

I just wanted a better understanding of how you came to that conclusion. By all means it's your prerogative not to answer.

I’m sure that abuse can be viewed as a mitigating factor. It doesn’t mitigate killing your children though.

Yes, I wasn't wondering about the children, just wondering about like case history of how mitigating circumstances, specifically abuse, played into sentencing in cases which have already gone through sentencing, ... obviously lol.

Like, what's happened historically in those types of cases? and does anyone know has there ever been a case where a male victim of spousal abuse has killed his abuser and used that in his defense or as a mitigating circumstances in sentencing?

Murderers often never disclose the reason why they committed the crime. If he's ultimately found guilty of the murder of his entire family but you still don't know the reason why, will you believe he’s guilty?

I think some feel that because he seemed so wonderful prior to this (ignoring the cheating I guess) he must have been somehow driven to this or have experienced something that made him lose his mind.

We've seen this over and over again though. I do think he's like scott Peterson. Someone everyone thought was sweet and sincere and a good person.

And who was not.

I don't see much difference. People can fool those around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Let the light shine