Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have cameras on my home too. I have always wondered where my neighbors legal rights fall as far as my cameras being able to also view portions of their properties. Are there any laws regarding this that might come into play as far as admissibility of what the cameras saw on CW's property?
That is a very good question, I never thought about the legality of having one capturing events on a neighbors property. But, I assume it would be admissible. Here most business have cameras and the city has “crime”cameras on utility poles in certain areas.

Thanks MassGuy you answered same time I posted this.

I'm not sure why some people are apparently up in arms about the fact the DA doesn't have all of the results from autopsy yet. His motion is plain-spoken and quite to the point. Plus there's absolutely nothing extraordinary about having a forensic pathologist perform the autopsy. It's what they do...

I agree. These kids weren’t hit by a car, they were murdered under the cover of darkness and dumped in oil tanks. A forensic pathologist seems like it would be standard here.

I really wonder what Chris' multiple unanswered texts to Shanann - the morning after he killed her - said. If they were just generic like "Hey, you up yet?" Or if they were fake sweet like "Morning beautiful, how are the girls?" Or if they tried to set any kind of stage that she may have walked out or referenced the "emotional conversation."

In watching the tv interviews of Chris' lies, it seemed like he couldn't commit to which approach/story/lie he wanted to take - if they had been "abducted" or if they had a "disagreement" and Shanann had left him. He just kept stammering on about how they "vanished." It was like in the interviews, you could just see him conflicted, trying to latch on to one story or the other, not knowing which one to pick. If he had planned on saying he thought she had left him, now that didn't work because he didn't have time to set the scene to get rid of purses, kid meds, wallet, ID, cell phone, etc. But once he found out about neighbor cameras, he also couldn't now claim she and the girls got picked up and left with anyone. So he just sounded like an idiot stammering about his house the ghost town with a half hearted plea that if someone had them to bring them back. I wonder what his original story was going to be, if LE didn't get involved so fast.

And I wonder what approach he took in his fake multiple text messages he said he sent to Shanann the next day, which would have been sent before he knew he was backed into a wall with his fake stories. Did he try to set a stage in the messages to her? Or if they were just total generic like, "Are you up?" And how his defense attorney will explain any sweet concerned messages to the woman who just you know, strangled his children.

I go with set the stage. I think maybe he tried to use the texts to bolster the emo convo story. More along the lines of - Hey, I know last night was tough but we both love the kids and we’ll do what it takes to make this easier for them.

Ugh. Jmo.

I've thought since I watched it the first time when it happened that he was setting the stage for multiple purposes. One being that he's framing himself as the better person/parent; two being that he's trying to explain his lack of emotion. My daughter caught it immediately too. My whole family has believed he was responsible since we watched the first interview, and we've seen nothing compelling enough to change our minds.
Yes! The good guy verses the bad guy. Sort of thing.

Did he do a walk thru with N.U, see all of SW belongings still there and then go back to work after that until the police called him back home?
CW? He went back to work after? That’s a good question that I did t remember er seeing asked before. But if one’s pregnant spouse and two children are missing, I’d certainly hope not!
Walk thru, I believe waltnru was done by CW, NUA AND PD.
IMO, if walk thru hadn’t happened, purse, keys and cell would’ve been disposed of.

I go with set the stage. I think maybe he tried to use the texts to bolster the emo convo story. More along the lines of - Hey, I know last night was tough but we both love the kids and we’ll do what it takes to make this easier for them.

Ugh. Jmo.

I agree.

Plus, if he did have plans to create a fake conversation between SW’s phone and his, this would have been a motivating factor in concealing the phone in couch cushions until he had more time later after work. He just thought he would have so much more time, IMO.

Either that, or he stashed the phone in the couch, due to being too worried to turn it off. He might have thought friends and family attempting to contact her via cell would be alarmed too quickly if her phone went straight to voicemail so soon after returning from AZ. Assuming the phone was even on or had a charge to begin with.

JMO.

Laws vary, but generally your cameras can’t capture anywhere where a person has a “reasonable expectation of privacy.”

So a camera that captures someone’s yard would be ok. But one that peers into a bedroom would not.
How about a front porch and/or garage?
If the neighbors cameras did indeed show his truck backed up to the garage is that invasion of reasonable expectation of privacy? Because, if you think about it he certainly wasn't expecting anybody to be nosying around what he was doing on his own property.
I think this could be an issue.

No, the Frederick police officer was waiting on him when he got there. That pesky NUA (see tongue in cheek) had already called and requested a wellness check and they responded. Chris's attitude was not appropriate so she took charge.
I think a lot of the pieces to this puzzle will be revealed when NUA testifies. Since she spent time with SW during the AZ trip, and was the last person to see her alive.

CW? He went back to work after? That’s a good question that I did t remember er seeing asked before. But if one’s pregnant spouse and two children are missing, I’d certainly hope not!
Walk thru, I believe waltnru was done by CW, NUA AND PD.
IMO, if walk thru hadn’t happened, purse, keys and cell would’ve been disposed of.

Which reminds me; I wonder what that conversation looked like between CW and his employer when he had to a) let them know he wouldn't be returning to work that day, and why, and b) assuming he would have had to notify his employer Tuesday morning, letting them know again that he wouldn't be coming into work on that day, and why.

I'm sure anyone who interacted with CW at all during that timeframe would have some interesting information regarding his demeanor, and his explanations for what was going on at home.

JMO.

How about a front porch and/or garage?
If the neighbors cameras did indeed show his truck backed up to the garage is that invasion of reasonable expectation of privacy? Because, if you think about it he certainly wasn't expecting anybody to be nosying around what he was doing on his own property.
I think this could be an issue.
No. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy outside your house.

The houses are close together, and a camera placed on someone’s house will have a wide field of vision.

Driveway, frontyard, backyard, I don’t see an issue here. Maybe a lawyer can chime in.

I figure with her being 15 weeks pregnant and perhaps a little heavier too, she simply would not fit in the man hole and she he had to quickly bury her. But the one thing that really puzzles me is, why did he go through the trouble of putting each child into a different oil tank?
I just think he didn't want to carry her up all the steps. Someone said something about the distribution of oil in the tanks or something like that may have something to do with it. I can't remember exactly what they said but it made sense.

SBM. I agree. There is something in that autopsy that has caused the state to seek the additional analysis of a forensic pathologist. IMO we may need to start stretching now to get a bit more flexible with our thinking. JMO
<modsnip - unnecessary to tag the poster being quoted> I agree with you that there could be something in the autopsy/ies that has prompted the State to seeking additional analysis of a forensic pathologist. For your latter part of your post, sadly I don't think that will happen. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose without knowing the exact layout of the house, she may or may not have heard it ring.

There is nothing in the affidavit mentioning that, so we simply don’t know.
Very true, agree.
I know we’ve guessed re: floor plan , which IMO is a pretty good representation of the layout. But in my mind, I’m visualizing from pictures/video on SW FB (front door, stairs nearby, loft just above stairs). So if I’m just outside the front door, a cell ringing from just above and down the staircase from a loft is possible. But that also assumes the ringer was on.
I have my iPhone ringer DND on from 11pm-7am with just a handful or two of family and Corporate job production system overseas folks in my favorite contacts, otherwise, don’t ring my phone LOL.
But yes, all just guessing as I’ve never been in the home nor know SW iPhone settings/habits.
But, it would explain more of NUA panic and quicker than “usual” PD which has been questions here too. “I can hear her phone ringing in the house and her car is there.” Would that detail be in the affidavit though, or saved for trial?
I think the affidavit purpose is just enough for arrest, and not full disclosure (iirc), right?
I know, we could and have gone around in circles, just some thoughts.

Edited: spell corrected floor plan from foreplan.

Last edited:
BBM
The prosecution did not lie. They don't have the reports because they are not yet available.

The Weld County Coroner's Office has also confirmed that the reports are not yet available.
Autopsy reports in Watts case not available, prosecution says

Rourke said the Weld County Coroner’s Office has not received the final reports from the forensic pathologist.
Weld DA Michael Rourke says he has not received autopsy reports in Christopher Watts case
Completely agree! I don’t believe they would or could lie. Sorry, if my post was confusing, wasn’t carefully worded. I need to stop dropping critical pronouns!

TY for posting the links though as they probably clear up my post for others reading.
You’re always so awesome! So how do you keep it all straight? In my mind, I picture a color coded multi tab MS Excel spreadsheet. I wish I could! Can you come organize my life, are you for hire? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky