Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow morning February 1, 2022 we have a Motions hearing, and by all reports the Judge will address the Motion for Change of Venue.

So does anyone know what this
is about on February 24 that says it’s a “ Motion for a New Trial “ hearing ?

I’ll say it again—. WHY aren’t Motion documents being uploaded to the Court site?

Hopefully with this new Judge and the recent release of the PH exhibits, that’s about to change.
JMO
Replying to myself to say I just remembered the Defense has a Motion to add a week to the trial and have proposed that it start April 25 instead of May 3.

I think that’s what this hearing is about JMO

Replying to myself to say I just remembered the Defense has a Motion to add a week to the trial and have proposed that it start April 25 instead of May 3.

I think that’s what this hearing is about JMO
That's going to be it. "Motion for a new trial (Date) hearing."

You obviously can't have a motion for a new trial, if there hasn't been a trial.

The site seems have limited space, and they just couldn't fit that in.

Just looking back over some of the witness statements in the AA (of 51-52), and I find it remarkable that even close friends of Barry believe he did this.

His friend Brad describes Barry as very controlling over Suzanne, and that he's "never wrong." He says that Barry would never confess to killing her, and would have taken her away from the house, as it would be too easy to find her body on that property.

His friend Curt, who like Brad has also known Barry for decades, says that he doesn't think Barry is capable of murdering Suzanne, before ultimately concluding "I think he killed her." He also describes Barry burning many bridges back in Indiana, referring to business deals.

These are longtime friends, who were clearly able to overcome the emotional aspect of not wanting to believe that their buddy killed his wife.

They knew all along he had a dark side though.

As much as I would love to find Suzanne’s remains Barry seems pretty confident she will never be found. He could have drained the hot tub while shopping in Salida, returned and placed a sedated Suzanne in the hot tub and doused her with a mix of bleach and ammonia or even bleach and hand sanitizer. She would have literally dissolved and he then drained the hot tub. No cadaverine and no evidence. He could have placed her there and allowed her to drown. I know it seems far fetched but she wasn’t abducted by an alien and how do we account for no cadaverine in the home? He could have cleaned the hot tub again and maybe took a dip himself because you know it’s relaxing like multiple showers a day.
O.M.G.

But in his mind, he didn’t do anything wrong in that hotel. He showered, read his mail, took a nap, played out his alibi. He was saying “I know there’s cameras everywhere and you can see that I didn’t do anything wrong!”
But Barrie, just you being there for so long doing nothing is what's wrong.

Tuesday, February 1st:
*Motions Hearing (Murder) & Status Hearing (Voter Fraud)(@ 9:30am) - CO – Suzanne Renee Moorman Morphew (49) (missing May 10, 2020, did not return from bike ride (supposedly), Maysville, Chaffee County, not found) - *Barry Lee Morphew (53/now 54) arrested & charged (5/5/21) with 1st degree murder after deliberation, tampering with physical evidence & attempting to influence public servants. And additional charges (5/18/21) of tampering with a deceased human body & possession of a dangerous weapon (short rifle) & amended (5/18/21) to add domestic violence as sentencing enhancement. Plead not guilty. $500K Cash only bond. Bonded out on 9/20/21.
Trial set to begin on 5/3/22 (thru 6/1/22).
*Charged (5/13/21) with felony forgery of public records & misdemeanor elections-mail ballot offense. $1K Bond.
Missing info, Barry’s PP loan & court info from 5/10/21 thru 1/25/22 reference post #246 here:
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90

1/26/22 Update: Defense attorneys submitted a list of requests including a change of venue, moving the trial date up by a week to April 25 & a modification to his bond orders. The judge stopped the motion hearing proceeding to address what happened yesterday with someone hacking into WebEx. Judge Lama cleared the courtroom this morning to hear the testimony of the accused individual who defense named & advised the court he hacked Webex & live-streamed Monday's hearing on his YT. Seems the court was satisfied that the individual accused was not responsible. The public/media was kicked out of the courtroom. Judge grants a revised bond condition allowing Barry to visit his daughters in Gunnison, in daylight hours only. Witness: Commander Alex Walker at CCSO back on stand. Judge Lama finds DA Linda Stanley violated the gag order set forth by Judge Murphy. Judge says statements made by the DA on the "Profiling Evil" podcast were inappropriate. Says she continued to make statements after Judge Murphy reiterated the order & says any violations after that in-Judge Murphy's words-are considered a "self-inflicted wound". The defense has decided to do without major punishment. Sanctions could be made, but that determination has not yet been made. The judge also ruled that body cam video & audio of interviews played in Morphew’s preliminary hearing will be made public. Judge Lama has also ruled that the 11th Judicial District Attorney‘s Office violated the pretrial publicity order on multiple occasions appearing on podcasts, making statements to the media & YouTube. Morphew's attorneys argued that the prosecution had not shared evidence in a timely manner. Judge Ramsey Lama ordered prosecutors to turn over the internal affairs & resignation materials regarding Cahill. Martin Ritter, the neighbor who first alerted authorities of Morphew missing took the stand. Mr. Ritter said that during the early days, there were group searches led by Barry. He'd give a speech prior to the searches & it bothered Ritter that the speech was always the same every single day. "This is how we met. She's the love of my life. I don't know what I'll do without her." He was bothered by Barry's lack of emotion. Ritters were very uncomfortable when Barry moved back into the neighborhood. They installed a security system. He repeated his fears to multiple law enforcement people. He read the AA over several days & he believed Barry was responsible after reading it. Det. Robin Burgess with CCSO testified about how initially the partial DNA match from Suzanne's glove box connected to an unknown sexual assault suspect in Tempe, AZ wasn't followed up as he had hoped but has since. According to information divulged in court hearings, the glove box DNA was a mixed partial sample of three profiles, including Suzanne Morphew, one of the Morphew daughters & a third person. The third profile is still unknown & contained markers similar to profiles found in three sex assault cases in Arizona & Chicago through the Combined DNA Index System. The unknown touch profile was not found anywhere else but on the glove box. Morphew's defense also brought up DNA of an unknown male that was found on a step in the house & next to a bed. Morphew's defense wants the murder trial to be held in another county & argued too many people know about this case in Chaffee County so it would be difficult to find an impartial jury. Judge Lama will likely make a ruling about the motion for a venue change next week. Defense asked for a case dismissal again, but the Judge quickly denied it. Prosecution wants Barry's statement of "I knew Suzanne would have voted for Trump," to be included in trial as it shows Barry knew she wasn't coming back. Ballot was filed 5 months after Suzanne disappeared, which shows consciousness of guilt. Judge didn't buy the prosecution's argument so it will not come in at trial. Besides the change of venue motion will hear testimony from former CBI Agent Cahill & they’ll discuss length of trial. Motions hearing continues for murder charge on 2/1/22 & status hearing re voter fraud also on 2/1/22.
1/28/22: Defense Exhibit D admitted for the preliminary hearing (Skid telemetrics). Other defense exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing. People's exhibits admitted for the preliminary hearing.

It's interesting when I read that FBI no body article (fascinating!), how much it goes to the whole issue of crime scene staging when you flip it on its head.

Barry staged the wrong things at the wrong times.

SM clearly goes missing during the 12 hours when he is at the house. In fact he is the only witness to her being "alive". His failure to obscure her time of disappearance is what ought to convict him - beyond any doubt.

The key to staging is you have to place yourself in BM's shoes (yick!) and try to see it from his perspective in the planning and in the moment.

Did he simply think everyone would believe him on this point?

Or did the murder and coverup take much longer than he planned for?

I am leaning towards the idea that he killed SM much sooner than he planned. He should have killed her late that night.

I would have loved to have a front row seat and see his face when the hotel footage and trash runs were shown in Court.
Great to see you again @OldCop .
Agreed nothing is humorous except for his idiocy.
JMO

We would all like to share, the front row seats with you during the trial.:):):)
When numerous BM's lies, staged bike, helmet disposal, idiotic trash runs, alibi time at the work site is revealed etc, etc, we'll be rolling on the floor in fits of laughter.

I really think BM thought as long as he was away from PP when Suzanne went missing was the only alibi he needed.

He must have been shocked when he was not allowed back in the house .I think he had thought he would be back in the home and organising his fellow firefighters and hunting friends to be out searching. I think he imagined everyone treating him as the grieving husband .

IMO MOO BBM
I wholeheartedly believe he expected the Scott Peterson treatment and would have gone by the same playbook of reveling in the empathetic attention from family members, his community and his FF buddies in particular.

At one point ( I think it was after the arrest ) someone asked CM about the “ 5 “ and he replied with one word —
Trees.

Wish I could link, but he deleted his Twitter account.
Ohhh that’s right it was trees alluded to
He had us all wildly guessing meanings for a hot minute
Admittedly I was pulled in thinking he had some info, now highly suspicious of his motives & associates

IMO MOO BBM
I wholeheartedly believe he expected the Scott Peterson treatment and would have gone by the same playbook of reveling in the empathetic attention from family members, his community and his FF buddies in particular.

I've long suspected some of these idiots have looked at those cases as well as movies and thought they can pull it off. As the FBI article indicates, there seems to be a belief that if you hide the body well enough, you can pull it off, whereas for the professional analyst it tends to be that the concealment of the body is more likely to indicate a personal relationship between victim and killer.

FWIW - From previous thread but I didn't see that anyone has addressed the fact that the times on the Bobcat data are in UTC so -8 to get back to MST time in May of 2020

I only looked at the bobcat data for 10 mins or so, but it looks like the GPS system constantly updates it's position to the log, whether or not the bobcat is in use?

There was a question earlier about SM's texts being admissible as evidence in the trial and this article on the court finding probable cause for first-degree murder is a good summary of what evidence the court reportedly relied on to make this decision. (Also, why the court was obligated to set bond for BM).

I think texts depicting SM's state of mind will not be challenged inadmissible. I think the court accepted BM used a tranquilizer dart here because he lied about whether or not he used the tranquilizer gun in Colorado. Hallmark or not, seems the court acknowledged Mother's Day as observed by a majority. MOO

Barry Morphew Will Stand Trial For Murder Of Wife Suzanne

Sept 17, 2021

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4)– The judge presiding over Barry Morphew’s preliminary hearing said there is probable cause for first-degree murder and the case will go to trial. He was arrested for the murder of his wife Suzanne in May.

[..]

On Friday, after hearing arguments from both the defense and prosecutors Murphy said while the evidence presented means it’s possible, he could have committed the crime, he cannot say for certain a jury would find him guilty. Based on this fact, Murphy said he was obligated to set bond for Morphew.

[..]

Murphy laid out many reasons why he believed first-degree murder was likely in the case, citing texts in the months leading up to Suzanne’s disappearance where she stated she was fearful. She said she was scared of Barry, that he was unstable, and Murphy said that fact alone makes it more likely that he was capable of harming his wife.

He also pointed out that on May 10, the day Suzanne went missing, while the Broomfield ordinance doesn’t allow construction work on Sundays, Barry knowingly went anyways and told investigators he spent around 5 hours in his hotel watching TV.

[..]

Murphy said it makes no sense why he would leave his wife alone on Mother’s Day to drive to a job site he knew he couldn’t work and watch TV for most of the day.

He also pointed to the many discrepancies in statements made by Barry Morphew. One example he provided surrounded the dart gun.

On May 28, 2020 Barry Morphew said he never used his tranquilizer darts in Colorado, but later, on March 5 of this year, Morphew said he would use those darts on deer for antlers.

Murphy did go back to the reason he set bond, “Is he in danger of a jury verdict for first-degree murder?” Murphy said he couldn’t say with certainty and that there were multiple scenarios that cannot, at this point, be proved true or false:

1. Morphew murdered his wife and disposed of her body
2. Suzanne has purposely disappeared (Murphy believes this is unlikely).
3. Someone else killed her – Murphy says the DNA found in her car is evidence this is at least a possibility

Murphy also reminded the court that there is no direct evidence linking Barry Morphew to the murder, no witnesses, no forensic evidence and he has not admitted to the crime. He says while the home security system was dibbled [disabled], it was Suzanne Morphew’s DNA on the cords to the security system. There was also unknown DNA detected on her bike and in the backseat of her car.

Hi all,
Just really getting into this case and am still weeding through the previous threads when I have time on my hands. I wanted to go ahead and ask though because this has been bugging me: has anyone explored the fact that Barry having Suzanne's iCloud password could enable him to send texts and things from another device, i.e. a laptop? I know I'm currently on my husband's laptop and I can send and see texts to (and send from)his phone from here.

Another thing that stood out to me was the timing of the Facebook password reset request on May 9 and his lunchtime arrival at the house. I saw, in the affidavit that her phone received a second password reset on 11:14 and then immediately thereafter Barry starts home (estimated 11:15). Because Suzanne had never made outgoing friend requests prior to this, coupled with the fact that most requests were to men in IN, I think we are safe to assume this is Barry working from Suzanne's fb. Note that one of the requests was sent to Bobby Huff at 9:15 that morning- Barry's first guess at the ID of Suzanne's lover is a man named David Huff, not sure if this is coincidence or if the two are related.

Apparently at around 11, Suzanne realizes she can't get into her fb account (perhaps because Barry has changed the password) so she attempts to reset it again. Now, if he is accessing her email and monitoring her phone via her iCloud on another device, he would immediately see this email notification. I just find the timing really odd-I feel like he had been tipped off at this point that she was seeing someone else and was in a frenzy to discover his identity. I see May 9th as being Barry creeping around, maybe even with binoculars, trying to see how Suzanne is talking to and leaving him for.

Welcome!! Great post!

I would love to know and understand more about how someone can see someone else's phone and/or text as if they are using that phone when on another device. We know Barry had a second device and started using it in Nov 2019.. it's mentioned in the AA with times it was "connected" to his phone. We have discussed what it could be. I am not at all tech savvy so it's fascinating to me that he could have used another device to somehow maybe hack her phone and send messages from it. I have long wondered about the "wanna hike" texts that morning. I don't believe for a second that Suzanne wanted to hike with Barry. She didn't want to be alone with him so why would she suggest hiking TWICE? I would also be interested in the hot tub chemicals text.. she wanted him to grab chemicals, but they were found in her car?

On the second point about him resetting the FB password, I really do believe that she noticed something that morning. My FB sends an email when someone accepts a friend request. Maybe she received an email notification that so and so accepted a friend request and then she went to get on FB and couldn't so she reset her PW and he knew she knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow