Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to throw these out as I review them in case they spark some ideas we haven't considered before.

Forensic Files Season 2, episode 2. Son murders parents and uses both of their cars to dispose of the evidence. Mom's for cleanup, dad's for bodies. LE catches him by testing soil on mudflaps of dad's car which leads to their final resting place.

Season 4, Episode 4: Husband arrested for wife's murder and actually admits to the crime but is exonerated by a partial handprint of another criminal.

Season 5 episode 10- murder of various children in nursery using a paralyzing chemical called suxamethonium chloride. Now, this gave me pause and I started googling around. This drug has been known as "the perfect murder weapon," is used in wild animal control and is also used in dart guns. It metabolizes super quickly so it is very difficult to trace in human tissues. Can also be placed into drinks.

I'm not sure of the rules regarding what I can link but I've found some VERY interesting articles on pubmed about murders using this chemical compound.

If Barry has listened to all of these then I do not think he has used a family vehicle to dispose of Suzanne's body.

The partial hand print is interesting given Barry's Lawyers repeated insistence that the partial DNA in Suzanne's car has not been properly investigated.

It will be ironic if he soon will feature on forensic files

Whoa!?!
I'm wondering what I may be seeing - most of it anyway - draped on the wall in the corner - above a mirror or pictures on the floor...?

Perhaps a sheer, white, beaded, stringy, blousie, feminine kind of thingee? Maybe? Help Ladies.
^^rsbm

Sorry, I believe this is just a wall tapestry in MM1's bedroom -- popular Native American and SW decor.

If Barry has listened to all of these then I do not think he has used a family vehicle to dispose of Suzanne's body.

The partial hand print is interesting given Barry's Lawyers repeated insistence that the partial DNA in Suzanne's car has not been properly investigated.

It will be ironic if he soon will feature on forensic files

I think if he took her somewhere it could possibly have been under gravel or dirt on the trailer since that's where the dogs hit. What I took from that first episode was you better wash your tires and mudflaps or LE can use them to find the body you tried to hide. It's clear from the photos that he didn't wash the truck itself but I'm wondering if he washed the tires. Couldn't find any clear photos that show them however.

Also just going through the color photos of BM in the hotel and 1) I agree with the poster who said those look like pillowcases instead of garbage bags and also 2) in the hallway pic, one of them looks like it contains something wet.

I absolutely agree that there is a bicycling helmet in a pillow case on People's Exhibit 32 (http://www./wp-content/uploads/2022/01/People-Exhibits-Prelim-Hearing_Page_30.png). This makes for really interesting discussion:
1. BM had a cycling helmet with him in Broomfield;
2. It was not in the truck when it was held by police;
3. It was discovered after AM searched the area where it was found IIRC;
4. Therefore, where was it stored? When was it retrieved?
5. What else might he have stored so as not to have it on his person or in his truck?

Edited: Wanted to include top view photo of bike helmet, but I haven't quite figured out the technical details of how to do so....

Is it better to keep it simple? Are the telematics vital to the prosecution’s case? The data seems to be missing things and I don’t want The Hurricane or her partner to throw be able to exploit that and make jurors start questioning all of the other data points. The phone records, although limited, provide information that will be hard to dispute. Camera footage and Barry’s interviews are pretty compelling.
The telematics may miss things, but there's no evidence they make things up. The nice thing is they fit together with the phone data and surveillance video at some key points, so I definitely think they help, despite their limitations.

Looks like a gray plastic bag with some store name on it. The whole photo is blue saturated so I am guessing the original color was gray. I don’t see a bike helmet anywhere, just the gray bag probably with hand holds like a grocery bag with stuff that appears soft, pair of shoes or boots, a coat or work vest, backpack.

MM2 confirmed that her sister’s bedding included sheets and pillowcases that are light blue in color.
I've isolated the three photos with People's Exhibits #32, 33, and 70 that I have been referring to in my recent posts and have added my notes below the photographs. They are my opinion and speculation only. Others have been exploring these as well in recent posts.
upload_2022-2-4_17-39-36.png

upload_2022-2-4_17-39-53.png

(IF that is SM's helmet in one of those bags - see Exhibit 32), then it went to Broomfield on 5/10 and reappeared on 5/12 in the Maysville area not far from where the bike had been found.

LE seized BM's truck fairly quickly after he returned on 5/10, correct? (If that is SM's helmet in Exhibit 32) where, or with whom was the helmet (or the pillowcases/bags with their contents) stowed between 5/10 and 5/12?

IIRC, the Men's Wearhouse stop was just short of 4o minutes and occurred after BM had spent about an hour or so in the room and after BM had made several stops to dispose of items in multiple trash bins.

40 minutes is a long time in one place for a guy doing so much scurrying around with quick stops the rest of the morning. What was he doing?

One would think that if he was going through the notebook of loose papers, he could do that in the hotel room and did not need to be sitting in his truck in or near a MW parking lot. But a closed retail store on the periphery of other retail stores is a good spot to arrange to meet someone with the expectation that your meeting may not be observed by surveillance cameras.

Was BM connecting with someone there? If so, did he pass off the light blue pillowcases/bags with their contents to that person?

Have the light blue pillowcases/bags since been located?

Suppose whoever BM may have passed them onto (my speculation) later planted the helmet where it was found and then stuffed the pillowcase(s) into the garbage bin at Poncha Springs Market? I would think that would concern BM enough that he might go and attempt a retrieval to dispose of them elsewhere.

ETA: Not quite sure why two photographs loaded directly into the post and another as a separate pdf, but I'm sure it was user-error. Sorry! Also, be sure to ZOOM INTO the photos.

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-4_17-39-13.png
    upload_2022-2-4_17-39-13.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 58
I think if he took her somewhere it could possibly have been under gravel or dirt on the trailer since that's where the dogs hit. What I took from that first episode was you better wash your tires and mudflaps or LE can use them to find the body you tried to hide. It's clear from the photos that he didn't wash the truck itself but I'm wondering if he washed the tires. Couldn't find any clear photos that show them however.

BBM.

I have often wondered if LE cleared the gravel off the trailer to test for blood, etc. underneath. I would imagine they did.

Was it the gravel the dogs were alerting too or was it that spot on the trailer?

(*Maybe dogs can't be that specific. I have no idea.)

The folder of papers are in a separate captured image of him entering the hotel along with an image of him leaving with papers no longer sticking out at all angles. I assumed he organized his paperwork while in the hotel room. But it is possible cameras did not catch him walking out again with the folder of papers and he organized while in his truck.

IIRC, the Men's Wearhouse stop was just short of 4o minutes and occurred after BM had spent about an hour or so in the room and after BM had made several stops to dispose of items in multiple trash bins.

40 minutes is a long time in one place for a guy doing so much scurrying around with quick stops the rest of the morning. What was he doing?

One would think that if he was going through the notebook of loose papers, he could do that in the hotel room and did not need to be sitting in his truck in or near a MW parking lot. But a closed retail store on the periphery of other retail stores is a good spot to arrange to meet someone with the expectation that your meeting may not be observed by surveillance cameras.

Oh interesting theory!! I don't think LE have really said what was happening during this time or what they think was happening. All other trash runs were quick. 40 minutes is a long time unless he was shopping for clothing because he needed so many wardrobe changes for this work day. I would be curious where SD was during this day/time.

The defense is all hung up on the dart sheath. The prosecution (at the PH anyway) was laser focused on Barry's behavior and Suzanne's own words.

The behavior is more emotional evidence. . My concern is there is very little physical evidence. No blood, no body, no weapon, no physical items which is a glaring weakness.

Last edited:
Reading the AA again to just see what jumps out at me..

Was going back over his time at the Holiday Inn.. this little note on the bottom of the page said, the 7 something PM call was the first call he made to Suzanne AFTER he was informed about 5pm by the Ritter's she wasn't there.

He was on a big work trip he HAD to go on this special day that is Mother's Day. He quickly abandons that job to rush home, but he didn't even try to text or call her phone even once from the time he learned she wasn't at the house and her bike was gone. I'd have to agree with the note at the bottom that said he was really quick to just leave this job without confirming that she was in fact missing. He didn't even put the tools in the hotel room, just left them in the lobby of the hotel. Yet he didn't even call her phone once?

A question about dogs and the scent of death.

In the first 24 hours after death, can a dog detect that? What is the realistic timeline after death that a trained dog could pick up that smell?

Reading the AA again to just see what jumps out at me..

Was going back over his time at the Holiday Inn.. this little note on the bottom of the page said, the 7 something PM call was the first call he made to Suzanne AFTER he was informed about 5pm by the Ritter's she wasn't there.

He was on a big work trip he HAD to go on this special day that is Mother's Day. He quickly abandons that job to rush home, but he didn't even try to text or call her phone even once from the time he learned she wasn't at the house and her bike was gone. I'd have to agree with the note at the bottom that said he was really quick to just leave this job without confirming that she was in fact missing. He didn't even put the tools in the hotel room, just left them in the lobby of the hotel. Yet he didn't even call her phone once?
Bringing his tools into the lobby from his truck was more alibi staging to make it look like he was at the job site when he got the call. Imo he knew he was on camera.

Attachments

• 845B786D-7C17-4EC6-99FF-789424BCDE38.jpeg
    845B786D-7C17-4EC6-99FF-789424BCDE38.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 14
  • F1D0BA48-7476-4614-BB9F-FFA0D6514883.jpeg
    F1D0BA48-7476-4614-BB9F-FFA0D6514883.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 12
Bringing his tools into the lobby from his truck was more alibi staging to make it look like he was at the job site when he got the call. Imo he knew he was on camera.
There's no overstating how big this particular lie is. This interview was on May 13, when the events were still fresh in his mind. That's ignoring the fact that this should have been the worst moment of his life, and you just don't forget where you are when you get news like that.

Barry stated, "I was at the job site when Jeanne called me," adding that Jeanne called around 5:00pm. Barry left the job site and drove to the hotel where he dropped the tools off in the lobby. He then drove directly back to Salida.

He also lied to Mr. Ritter, telling him on the phone that he was "at a worksite with workers present."

The jury is going to see right through this lie, and all the others.

A question about dogs and the scent of death.

In the first 24 hours after death, can a dog detect that? What is the realistic timeline after death that a trained dog could pick up that smell?

I've seen 24 hours is a standard time, but good dogs can pick it up just hours after death. This would make more sense then why maybe no hits were inside or around the house and they were hitting on the trailer and bobcat. I do think something that touched her touched those areas weather that was actually her body or just Barry having her scent on him. The dogs alerted and all 3 alerted so to me that means something was there.

There's no overstating how big this particular lie is. This interview was on May 13, when the events were still fresh in his mind. That's ignoring the fact that this should have been the worst moment of his life, and you just don't forget where you are when you get news like that.

Barry stated, "I was at the job site when Jeanne called me," adding that Jeanne called around 5:00pm. Barry left the job site and drove to the hotel where he dropped the tools off in the lobby. He then drove directly back to Salida.

He also lied to Mr. Ritter, telling him on the phone that he was "at a worksite with workers present."

The jury is going to see right through this lie, and all the others.
Have you noticed this part?!
First time I’ve noticed it. It explains how he got the Ritters to call 911 instead of doing it himself.
He told MR that he’s on the road back and wouldn’t have cell service!

Attachments

• EDB0A729-1D67-43E8-B0D9-0B767883AC08.jpeg
    EDB0A729-1D67-43E8-B0D9-0B767883AC08.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 340
You can meet an office guy at his office to go get pizza perhaps, but a dirty landscaper husband at/coming from his dirty workplace?? Unusual at least, IMO.
From what I recall, I don't see why he'd be too dirty stop at a pizza place. He wasn't mowing lawns and using a blower - kind of landscaping.
MG was doing the work in the a.m. and BM was going from place to place.
I do recall, and I don't remember where I read it, but in one communication with JL Suzanne said how she had a little bit of time as BM was going to p/u pizza. I have no idea what date that was.

From what I recall, I don't see why he'd be too dirty stop at a pizza place. He wasn't mowing lawns and using a blower - kind of landscaping.
MG was doing the work in the a.m. and BM was going from place to place.
I do recall, and I don't remember where I read it, but in one communication with JL Suzanne said how she had a little bit of time as BM was going to p/u pizza. I have no idea what date that was.

August 10. Day 2 of the Preliminary Hearing.
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425122663819776000?s=21
On May 8, #BarryMorphew went and got Pizza at Moonlight Pizza in Salida. While he was out, #SuzanneMorphew sent a message on LinkedIn to Jeff Libler saying he is gone for a bit.

Eytan said, "We are going to move off the pizza." On to the next topic, I guess.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1425123722827124736?s=21
On May 9, #SuzanneMorphew tells Libler that she had a fine night got pizza, looked at homes, and talked about Arizona.

August 23. Day 3 of the Preliminary Hearing.

https://twitter.com/carolamckinley/status/1429879590609199120?s=21
Defense and prosecution are both scoring points today. Morphew turns,smiles at family with eyes over his mask every chance he can. At times he & his attorneys exchange yellow sticky notes. Moonlight Pizza delivered food at lunch. That’s the place The Morphew’s liked to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413