Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Seattle1

If the trial is moved outside the 11th District and Linda Stanley's jurisdiction, would it proceed as planned beginning in early May?

This would not give new DA much time to prepare so is this the reason Barry's team would push for another change of venue?

If the trial is moved would the current DA's office work in collaboration with new DA's office so that both are actively representing the State during the trial?

It seems the defense would desire Linda Stanley to lead prosecution since she is a new DA, one assistant DA has left, and there have been a few misteps that were acknowledged by both judges. Add to this she is not experienced prosecuting a M1 no body case.

Just wondering how another change of venue benefits defense...

p.s. really frustrated watching defense make inflammatory accusations that border on lying or at least an egregious misrepresentation of truth.

Also, the hacking incident that never was!

Really disappointed the judge proceeded to then further limit the ability for the reporting of real-time, minute by minute details.

It seems the defense is allowed to go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on...
That is their job lol. Hurlbert seems like he is handling it better and as well as he can.

I don't know how I missed that, but I've never seen it before. That lie just got a little bigger.

No wonder the Ritters are scared; they are very important to this case.
I’m wondering how many people from Indiana are important to the case. I’m wondering if new testimonies of value can be added.

It sounds like Barry was never home much in their entire married life. So while he was out doing his thing in Indiana, surely Suzanne had many friends and activities in her hometown. So he convinces her they can start a new life in Colorado and for the thousandth time, she falls for it and actually allows herself to hope it’s true.

As soon as they arrive in CO, she finds out she is isolated, no friends or family, and he is the same old lying, cheating Barry. So she reaches out to an old friend that she remembered she had an attraction to., JL.

Surely someone knows something about Barry. Are the other women so afraid? Is it because they are married? I will always wonder.

I would agree but in a later picture, there appears to be a wet stain on one of the bags. That wouldn’t happen with a plastic bag.
Or the store logo is what you are seeing. Most plastic shopping bags have the store imprint on them that would look distorted when curved by items inside the bag.
I was puzzled by the live cartridge found in the master bedroom. I think Barry must have loaded the dart into the .22 in the master bedroom while Suzanne was out on the patio. If that round had been on the floor for any length of time, Suzanne would have surely noticed it and picked it up.

Barry removed the live cartridge to load the .22 with the dart. He either forgot about it or thought he shoved it in his pocket but it ended up on the floor. With all his activities after he darted Suzanne, he forgot all about the live round.
I don’t know if anyone has deep dived this but experts have stated that tranquilizer darts cannot be loaded or fired in and from a regular 22.

I’m wondering how many people from Indiana are important to the case. I’m wondering if new testimonies of value can be added.

It sounds like Barry was never home much in their entire married life. So while he was out doing his thing in Indiana, surely Suzanne had many friends and activities in her hometown. So he convinces her they can start a new life in Colorado and for the thousandth time, she falls for it and actually allows herself to hope it’s true.

As soon as they arrive in CO, she finds out she is isolated, no friends or family, and he is the same old lying, cheating Barry. So she reaches out to an old friend that she remembered she had an attraction to., JL.

Surely someone knows something about Barry. Are the other women so afraid? Is it because they are married? I will always wonder.
I doubt any childhood or past history would be allowed unless it has direct relation to the events of May 9 and 10. Fun for speculation but I have doubts about the legality at trial. Conversations had with people in Indiana made during the time period are more likely admissible.

Or the store logo is what you are seeing. Most plastic shopping bags have the store imprint on them that would look distorted when curved by items inside the bag.

Y'all all know how much I hate to agree with Momofthreeboys on this case, so stop making me! ;)

They're shopping bags. Y'all are not better at identifying objects via a grainy still photo than CBI and the FBI are at watching the actual video.

I don’t know if anyone has deep dived this but experts have stated that tranquilizer darts cannot be loaded or fired in and from a regular 22.

The ones Barry used can. It has been confirmed.

A Grusing: So when Agent Harris and I, through our process of speaking with Mr. Morphew we were disclosing parts of our evidence with him to figure out what happened to Suzanne. I did disclose to him that it looked like his cell phone from 2:44 to 2:47 was moving around outside of the house. I believe this was the February 28th interview.

He says, “I shoot chipmunks.” I said well tell me what that means. He goes I’m running around the house shooting chipmunks. And I’m paraphrasing at this time because it’s a back and forth. He said, “I’ve shot 85 chipmunks.”

I asked him if he used a .22 caliber. At that point I had known — and I had not disclosed to Mr. Morphew yet that we found a tranquilizer dart cap in the dryer and I knew from Chaffee county that a .22 cartridge would fire. So when he was talking about running around the outside of the house I asked him if it was a 22 that he used and he said yes, it was.

Couple of thoughts:

First, why is it that, when we see the series of text exchanges between SM and BM about hiking, tires, spa stuff, we see the actual text language EXCEPT the one about the tires -- that one we've only seen referred to in narrative form: "asking about summer tires". I want to see the actual wording of the text and I can't help but wonder why that wording hasn't been made available like all the other texts have?

Also:
That is what I think as well - it's a hard hat. Especially in light of where we know the helmet ended up, as well as when the telematics indicate he might have dropped it, well before this point in the day. I also think those are grocery bags, not pillowcases because they appear to be translucent to me, I don't think a pillowcase would show as much detail.

Why would he be taking a hard hat into a motel room? (I don't think it's her bike helmet, that was blue)

Only one reason I can think of, which is that the hard hat got contaminated and he felt he needed to clean/bleach it.

I would normally expect a hard hat to be stored in the truck box in the bed of the truck... Wonder how it became contaminated, hmm...

In the bodycam video, I can't make it out. Anybody know what the white thing on the Morphew front door says?
It’s a note from the Ritters for Suzanne, in case she came back home. I did screenshot it, but the file size is too large and the image isn’t very clear. I can make out Suzanne’s name, and “call me”, and what might be two phone numbers. It appears to be signed “Jeanne & M”. There is mention in the AA (page 7) of Martin “sending Jeanne back to the house to leave a few notes in case Suzanne returned”.

I doubt any childhood or past history would be allowed unless it has direct relation to the events of May 9 and 10. Fun for speculation but I have doubts about the legality at trial. Conversations had with people in Indiana made during the time period are more likely admissible.
I was thinking more along the lines of immoral acts or known crimes of Barry’s before the move to CO. We really don’t know how much investigative work was put into it in Indiana. If BM was as abusive as I believe him to be, then I doubt Suzanne shared that information with friends there, though I wish she had. The only sibling living close to her then was Andy. Her other brother and sister lived out of State. I do think Barry was good at isolating his wife and daughters. And I do think the daughters know more than they will tell. Any testimony would have to come from those who knew things Barry did.
Burying furniture and money in his yard is very strange to me but I guess it’s not illegal. :rolleyes:

Couple of thoughts:

First, why is it that, when we see the series of text exchanges between SM and BM about hiking, tires, spa stuff, we see the actual text language EXCEPT the one about the tires -- that one we've only seen referred to in narrative form: "asking about summer tires". I want to see the actual wording of the text and I can't help but wonder why that wording hasn't been made available like all the other texts have?

Also:

Why would he be taking a hard hat into a motel room? (I don't think it's her bike helmet, that was blue)

Only one reason I can think of, which is that the hard hat got contaminated and he felt he needed to clean/bleach it.

I would normally expect a hard hat to be stored in the truck box in the bed of the truck... Wonder how it became contaminated, hmm...

Here it is:
Q (Lindsey): Working through may 9th, 2020 is there messages between Barry and Suzanne at 9:50 am?

A (Grusing): Barry messaged her, “Want to hike?” At 9:52 she messaged, “Where?” But he did not answer.

Q (Lindsey): Text messages from Suzanne at 10:30 on May 9th?

A (Grusing): Suzanne texted, “Do we have old summer tires for Rover?

Q (Lindsey): Is there a message at 10:36 am?

A (Grusing): Yes. She messaged him, “Wanna meet to hike?”

Q (Lindsey): Did she respond?

A (Grusing): Barry responded 12 minutes later, “No I’ll come home.”

Q (Lindsey): Did Suzanne respond to him?

A (Grusing): One minute later she texted, “Get hot tub stuff.”

Last edited:
Here it is:
Q (Lindsey): Working through may 9th, 2020 is there messages between Barry and Suzanne at 9:50 am?

A (Grusing): Barry messaged her, “Want to hike?” At 9:52 she messaged, “Where?” But he did not answer.

Q (Lindsey): Text messages from Suzanne at 10:30 on May 9th?

A (Grusing): Suzanne texted, “Do we have old summer tires for Rover?

Q (Lindsey): Is there a message at 10:36 am?

A (Grusing): Yes. She messaged him, “Wanna meet to hike?”

Q (Lindsey): Did she respond?

A (Grusing): Barry responded 12 minutes later, “No I’ll come home.”

Q (Lindsey): Did Suzanne respond to him?

A (Grusing): One minute later she texted, “Get hot tub stuff.”

I'm gonna be real, I've reached a point that I am offended that so many people seem to think that nobody in LE actually investigated this case. They did.
I believe they certainly did in CO but I’m not sure they had leads in Indiana. We will know at trial.

Do you recall when the store owner came forward to say he stopped there was was digging in the trash? I would think that LE would search that dumpster then. 2 days later, I think he was already the person they were eyeing hard. He would be so dump to dump something then because he would have had it on him this entire time.. he didn't have access to his house or his truck right? Where would he have put this device for 2 days so LE didn't have it?
I do think that and here's the difference: BM is a narcissist. He lacks empathy and doesn't understand how normal people would process feelings like loss which makes him a horrible actor. You can't "teach" someone how to properly behave when they encounter trauma like loss. But you can teach someone, via podcasts like Forensic Files, etc. how to take steps to avoid evidentiary detection. He obviously had done some research about GPS tracking as evidenced by the fact that he was out there pulling wires on his truck and putting his phone on airplane mode. He is dumb, I agree with you there. He knows the cameras are at the hotel, for instance, but doesn't think about cameras at adjacent businesses. He knows that airplane mode helps him avoid detection but doesn't think about the fact that he is essentially highlighting guilty time periods.

The SIM switch makes all the sense to me considering the dog alerts and the strange "drive-by" of the other machine earlier in the day. Plus, I think someone noted a strange pause around the bobcat where he was clearing doing something to it without it moving. If he was switching SIM cards that could have been what he was up to. I think we have to look at this as premeditated by someone who was into true crime and thought he was smarter than he actually is.

MOO

I believe they certainly did in CO but I’m not sure they had leads in Indiana. We will know at trial.

Indiana is irrelevant to the trial and won't be admitted. All we know from IN is that Barry is a terrible person. He's a cheater, he's ripped people off, and he has a violent streak.

The only part of that that might be admissible is the violent streak since I believe the cops had to be called on an incident with him and another guy in Indiana. I cannot remember the specifics, so I can't find the article to reference, but I bet someone else can recall it.

I do think that and here's the difference: BM is a narcissist. He lacks empathy and doesn't understand how normal people would process feelings like loss which makes him a horrible actor. You can't "teach" someone how to properly behave when they encounter trauma like loss. But you can teach someone, via podcasts like Forensic Files, etc. how to take steps to avoid evidentiary detection. He obviously had done some research about GPS tracking as evidenced by the fact that he was out there pulling wires on his truck and putting his phone on airplane mode. He is dumb, I agree with you there. He knows the cameras are at the hotel, for instance, but doesn't think about cameras at adjacent businesses. He knows that airplane mode helps him avoid detection but doesn't think about the fact that he is essentially highlighting guilty time periods.

The SIM switch makes all the sense to me considering the dog alerts and the strange "drive-by" of the other machine earlier in the day. Plus, I think someone noted a strange pause around the bobcat where he was clearing doing something to it without it moving. If he was switching SIM cards that could have been what he was up to. I think we have to look at this as premeditated by someone who was into true crime and thought he was smarter than he actually is.

MOO
I think your premise is valid. It would explain a good deal about the use of the bobcat.

So what do y’all think this BBM statement means ?
The Judge is granting them time to do that.
Is the Change of Venue not a done deal ?

WATCH: Judge grants change of venue request in Barry Morphew murder trial

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Accused murderer Barry Morphew and his defense team have been granted a change of venue request. The trial will now be heard in Fremont County, instead of Chaffee County, where the alleged crime occurred.

The defense teams filed the motion because they said too many people in Salida and Chaffee County are familiar with the case, making it difficult to find an impartial jury.

The prosecution argued the murder case should be held in the county where the alleged crime was committed, but they could not convince the judge.

Because of the judge’s decision, Morphew’s bond has been modified so that he can travel to Fremont County only for court and, if necessary, to spend the night. Morphew’s defense team wants to conduct their own investigation into the population of Fremont County and the saturation of the press and the court is granting them that time.

So far, the judge has not made a decision on the defense’s claims of the prosecution’s discovery violations. Judge Lama is expected to make a ruling in writing and it should be posted to the Fremont Cases of Interest page.
Oh GAWD! It’s national news by now, ffs!! Morning news and night. Next they’ll be asking for a change of country. Lol

Could you please share what logo you see. Name, logo, color, or whatever it is you are seeing.
I am not seeing anything but a darker area that doesn’t appear to be a shadow. People are suggesting it is wetness…could be especially if the plastic bag was in the back of the truck but I am also suggesting a store logo. People thought the bag was blue and I pointed out that the photo color saturation was overly blue if you look at his jeans and the hotel walls you can see that and I suggested the bag was probably gray. In my area Walmart bags are gray with a blue logo. I don’t know what Safeway bags are like in Salida. But I think they have a red logo so I don’t think it is a Safeway bag but could be a Walmart bag that could be wet or not. To dissect a theory it is good to look at all the possibilities or I could say nothing and watch 5 pages of the light blue pillowcase theory. It was a good suggestion the pillowcase but I see something else because pillowcases are larger and do not have handholds. If people see a hard round helmet I think that is a good observation but if so the construction hat was a good theory that aligned also and explained perhaps what that poster was seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28