Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eytan told the judge that Barry Morphew is moving to Denver, which will enable him to get out from under the suspicion that still surrounds him in the rural community of Salida.

“Now he and his family will return the focus to finding Suzanne,” said Eytan, who added that Barry Morphew has a reliable job as a landscaper.
RSBBM

Leaving Salida, making Denver home, and searching for SM, eh? Guess BM knows something we don't.

[…]

"He knew that she wanted to vote and he thought that she might come back," said Iris Eytan, Morphew's attorney. "He didn’t know where she was. He was carrying out her wishes. What he did was he signed his name on the witness line, not concealing that it was him. He signed his signature on the witness line and he left the signature where she would normally sign blank. He did not make a mark there trying to deceive the clerk that by chance she had signed it. He did not sign or forge her name making it appear that she in fact signed it."

[…]

"He didn’t really intend to deceive, but what he did was make a mistake. He made a bad choice," Eytan said. "He didn’t think that he was doing anything against the law. When he received the ballot, he had legal guardianship over Suzanne. That means that he could sign property paperwork, tax paperwork, all sorts of documentation on her behalf. That was what was permitted by the courts."

[…]

"He knew that she wanted to vote and he thought that she might come back," said Iris Eytan, Morphew's attorney. "He didn’t know where she was. He was carrying out her wishes. What he did was he signed his name on the witness line, not concealing that it was him. He signed his signature on the witness line and he left the signature where she would normally sign blank. He did not make a mark there trying to deceive the clerk that by chance she had signed it. He did not sign or forge her name making it appear that she in fact signed it."

[…]

"He didn’t really intend to deceive, but what he did was make a mistake. He made a bad choice," Eytan said. "He didn’t think that he was doing anything against the law. When he received the ballot, he had legal guardianship over Suzanne. That means that he could sign property paperwork, tax paperwork, all sorts of documentation on her behalf. That was what was permitted by the courts."
Yes, that's nice, IE. But that's not what Barry said. The Duke of Haggard. He said he did it because everybody cheats and he wanted his candidate to have the extra vote.

Maybe we were all mistaken with that scene outside the courthouse when he was sprung. We thought he was locked in a kiss with his lead defense attorney. I guess maybe it wasn't a kiss at all. She was just putting words in his mouth.

JMO

Last edited:
Barry's moving to Denver? Sure he is. Just like he wanted to move to Gunnison. Then again, maybe his defense team has a bead on a nice rental there.

How nice he can start his life over.

Bitter, tragic irony -- that was Suzanne's wish for him too. Only she also wanted to keep hers.

If he's really moving, does anybody here know -- does Denver have surplus need for more crooked contractors, I mean, walls?

Special note to Denver residents: look out for your daughters and your chipmunks. Good luck.

I don't know how godly he is, but we do know he knows how to prey.

JMO

[…]

[…]

Basically, "my client is the idiot you all know he is..."

RSBBM

Leaving Salida, making Denver home, and searching for SM, eh? Guess BM knows something we don't.
April 19, 2022

State of Colorado versus Barry Lee Morphew MURDER case dismissed without Prejudice.

Fox21 KXRM reporter: “ Barry, is there anything you want to say? “

Barry: “ The killer’s still out there “

At 1:54

I think it's safe to say Indiana didn't exactly welcome BM with open arms. Admittedly, I've been hoping he'd relocate as far from the daughters as possible but guess that's not happening. Also, that lyin way of life is showing itself bigtime. :eek:

April 19, 2022

State of Colorado versus Barry Lee Morphew MURDER case dismissed without Prejudice.

Fox21 KXRM reporter: “ Barry, is there anything you want to say? “

Barry: “ The killer’s still out there “

At 1:54
Thanks for sharing this … I had actually missed what had happened to cause the mistrial….

Wow she is one gutsy lady!!! Someone to have your corner if you were ever in trouble…. Regardless of thoughts on BM… she was very impressive… imo

Thanks for sharing this … I had actually missed what had happened to cause the mistrial….

Wow she is one gutsy lady!!! Someone to have your corner if you were ever in trouble…. Regardless of thoughts on BM… she was very impressive… imo
There was no mistrial.

The case never made it to trial.

Nine days before the scheduled trial date the Prosecution filed a Motion to dismiss the charges without prejudice. Hence, the name of this thread.

The Prosecution was virtually ham stringed from presenting their case, so had no choice but to dismiss at this time.

I guess “ impressive “ is one way to describe IE. She certainly excels at bending the truth.

JMO

[…]

Secondly, prosecutors said they feel that because the judge in the case ruled earlier this year they cannot call most of their expert witnesses at trial because of discovery violations, they will need to find Suzanne’s body to prove the case.

“The Court functionally excluded the People’s best evidence to move forward in this case by severely limiting our expert’s testimony. Even if the court were to partially reconsider its position on the need for such severe sanctions at this late hour, the People would still be left without several key expert witnesses initially endorsed,” prosecutors wrote in their motion.

“Without this crucial evidence, and without the victim’s body, the People cannot move forward at this time in good faith,” they continued in their motion. “Ethics demand that prosecutors proceed to trial only in circumstances where a reasonable likelihood of success exists, which given the Court’s current rulings and the uncertainty of any further rulings, is impossible to completely ascertain.”

[…]

In addition, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said while he doesn't have any additional information to share as of Tuesday morning and is disappointed in the delay of the proceedings, "we remain unwavering in our commitment to this investigation and the ultimate prosecution of Mr. Morphew. I stand behind the strong work of the investigators within the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and the many law enforcement agencies involved and the strong case we have built. Above all else, we remain dedicated to seeking justice for Suzanne and her family."

There was no mistrial.

The case never made it to trial.

Nine days before the scheduled trial date the Prosecution filed a Motion to dismiss the charges without prejudice. Hence, the name of this thread.

The Prosecution was virtually ham stringed from presenting their case, so had no choice but to dismiss at this time.

I guess “ impressive “ is one way to describe IE. She certainly excels at bending the truth.

JMO

[…]

Secondly, prosecutors said they feel that because the judge in the case ruled earlier this year they cannot call most of their expert witnesses at trial because of discovery violations, they will need to find Suzanne’s body to prove the case.

“The Court functionally excluded the People’s best evidence to move forward in this case by severely limiting our expert’s testimony. Even if the court were to partially reconsider its position on the need for such severe sanctions at this late hour, the People would still be left without several key expert witnesses initially endorsed,” prosecutors wrote in their motion.

“Without this crucial evidence, and without the victim’s body, the People cannot move forward at this time in good faith,” they continued in their motion. “Ethics demand that prosecutors proceed to trial only in circumstances where a reasonable likelihood of success exists, which given the Court’s current rulings and the uncertainty of any further rulings, is impossible to completely ascertain.”

[…]

In addition, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said while he doesn't have any additional information to share as of Tuesday morning and is disappointed in the delay of the proceedings, "we remain unwavering in our commitment to this investigation and the ultimate prosecution of Mr. Morphew. I stand behind the strong work of the investigators within the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and the many law enforcement agencies involved and the strong case we have built. Above all else, we remain dedicated to seeking justice for Suzanne and her family."

Apologies about the incorrect terminology …I’m not from the US….
Compared to Lawyers here, she was impressive IMO as I find “law” the subject, fascinating…. Also IMO
I wasn’t making comment on the case ….

DF760E30-E260-4355-910E-EC58408BD868.jpegApologies about the incorrect terminology …I’m not from the US….
Compared to Lawyers here, she was impressive IMO as I find “law” the subject, fascinating…. Also IMO
I wasn’t making comment on the case ….
I sincerely apologize for sounding so stern. Having followed every hearing and every document in the case, I guess I bristled at the thought of IE being applauded for her statements.

It upset me to think that someone might see her press conference and think that she was speaking the truth.

So if you are impressed with not the substance , and just her attitude, i agree she is gutsy.

There is also a big difference in charges dismissed and a mistrial .

Again, I apologize.

I’m not a mean person but I’m glad he looks “haggard”.

The stench of his crime will follow him wherever he goes, because you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know he murdered Suzanne. People will know. They see you Barry.

He’ll never be truly free.

JMO

I sincerely apologize for sounding so stern. Having followed every hearing and every document in the case, I guess I bristled at the thought of IE being applauded for her statements.

It upset me to think that someone might see her press conference and think that she was speaking the truth.

So if you are impressed with not the substance , and just her attitude, i agree she is gutsy.

There is also a big difference in charges dismissed and a mistrial .

Again, I apologize.
No problems….. it’s all good …. :cool:

I like Reporter Dan Beede, and also Iris -- but this was not a "bad ballot" -- it was voter fraud, and the documents you signed, Mr. Morphew, say you committed FORGERY of a government-issued document!

According to his attorney, Iris Eytan, Morphew's guns are still in the custody of law enforcement. Suzanne Morphew, 49, hasn’t been seen since she vanished over Mother’s Day weekend in 2020.

Six months after her disappearance, her husband used her name to vote for Trump in the 2020 election. He also voted for Linda Stanley, the district attorney who would later oversee his case.

He then mailed the ballot to the Chaffee County clerk. Barry Morphew signed the witness line on the back side of the envelope with his own name, but left Suzanne Morphew’s signature line blank.

[..]

Barry Morphew, 54, pleaded guilty to forgery of a government-issued document. Charges of attempting to influence a public servant and a misdemeanor offense associated with the mail-in ballot were dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

7/21/22 - Morphew moving to Denver, pleads guilty to forgery

I feel doubly bad when I see your tagline of “ be kind “. Such a good reminder. :cool:
I have actually learned a great deal from this case… I do usually pull out of following a US Case, when it gets to the legal stage as I don’t fully understand the US Legal System …

I was very surprised when I had read about the case being dismissed, as I had thought it was “in the bag” ….

Do you have thoughts on where Suzanne may be? And if you think she may be found??? Please don’t feel obligated to answer, just curious as you have followed so closely ….. and I do understand your passion, as I have a particular case that is my passion…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb