Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

4/18/23

1681914014919.png

Suzanne Morphew is still missing and the case appears to be stalled, but it still haunts attorneys on both sides.

Nearly a year to the day since the case into the 49-year-old Maysville mother's disappearance was dismissed, her husband’s attorney has filed a complaint against the prosecution team for going after Suzanne's husband, Barry Morphew, with what she called “suspicion vision.”

Iris Eytan believes Morphew — once seen as a condemned man — is 100% innocent, was wrongly accused and then railroaded through the system.

[..]

Eytan’s allegations are the latest in a string of unfortunate incidents regarding the notorious case of the missing Maysville, Colorado woman. The prosecution has been through a number of attorneys, some who were borrowed from other firms or agencies, and others who joined the team as special prosecutors.

Courtroom gamesmanship from the defense held up the process at times and got to the point where one day, Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert pulled himself away from the podium where he was making an argument, shaking his head in frustration.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, went missing from her remote mountain home, about a 15-minute drive west of Salida, sometime between May 9 and 10, 2020. Thousands of people turned out to look for her on horseback, on foot and in the streams and rivers.

Barry Morphew, was arrested nearly a year later, May 5, 2021, on suspicion of first-degree murder and tampering with physical evidence in her disappearance.

[..]

Eytan had a message for Stanley.

“Find Suzanne,” said Eytan. “Do your job. My client was held for five months in a cage based on information that wasn’t true.”

Eytan said she 100% believes that Barry Morphew is innocent in his wife’s disappearance and would not divulge what the 56-year-old is doing now, saying only that the family needs a rest from public scrutiny.

PEP: PROTECT ETHICAL PROSECUTORS

Eytan believes the Morphew case is a perfect example of an epidemic of prosecutorial misconduct which she believes is sweeping the country.

After 30 years as a criminal defense attorney, Eytan has started a non-profit called “Protect Ethical Prosecutors.” In one of the group's inaugural moves, she hopes to create legislation in Colorado in 2024 which would make it possible to sue prosecutors personally.

She believes prosecutors are seen as white knights and rarely questioned.

“They have no skin in the game so why would they stop?” said Eytan.

WHERE IS SUZANNE MORPHEW?

Chaffee County Sheriff Chief John Spezze, one of the original investigators in the case, told The Denver Gazette that the search for Suzanne Morphew is still open and active.

In a conversation with The Denver Gazette, her older sister, Melinda Moorman Balzer, said that she prays every day for Suzanne’s remains to be found.

“I stand with the appointed people who are the authorities including John Spezze and the DA team who has been designated for now,” said Balzer.

Prosecutors have said in court that they believe Morphew killed his wife and hid her body in one of the many wells which dot the area of Maysville near the remote mountain home where the couple lived.

This is what I can't wrap my head around.

She is pretending that there was evidence of a sex offender, when we know that isn't true. And she pretends there is no evidence against Barry and it was all a fitup, but a judge reviewed the evidence and found there was strong enough evidence to go to trial

So the same old routine - run to the media and allege corruption based on misrepresentations.

Of course this is all about her elevating her own brand, and nothing about justice.

Knowing SM's case remains an ongoing investigation where CCSO continues to search for SM, and prosecutors cannot comment, IE pontificates before any platform, spewing complete rubbish, and maligning the prosecution team with impunity!

And anybody that doesn't believe IE was behind all the recent headlines and allegations crowding the OARC, leading to IE's "PEP" launch, and it was all just a coincidence, I have a bridge for sale in Alaska. :rolleyes: MOO

Last edited:
This is what I can't wrap my head around.

She is pretending that there was evidence of a sex offender, when we know that isn't true. And she pretends there is no evidence against Barry and it was all a fitup, but a judge reviewed the evidence and found there was strong enough evidence to go to trial

So the same old routine - run to the media and allege corruption based on misrepresentations.

Of course this is all about her elevating her own brand, and nothing about justice.
I thought there was DNA evidence tied to sex offenders in two states that was found in her car and BM was excluded? I apologize for asking, but I haven't been following this case closely.

I thought there was DNA evidence tied to sex offenders in two states that was found in her car and BM was excluded? I apologize for asking, but I haven't been following this case closely.
In a nut shell "Put simply, if a DNA profile is a complete description of a person's appearance, a partial profile might describe only one of their traits—hair color, for instance. Even full DNA profiles may match with a person other than the culprit. Partial profiles will match up with many more people than a full profile."

It was partial, not a match to work with at all.

Investigators found male DNA on the glovebox in Suzanne Morphew's car that corresponds with partial DNA profiles found in three unsolved sexual ...

ETA. Suzanne drove a Range Rover. They come wheel locks. In Colorado you change your tires seasonally, (More snow than most the country.) One of their last conversations was about changing the tires. I imagine it had been done at least 4 times in the last two years, if not more since she owned the car. Everyone I know leaves the wheel lock in the glovebox. Common discussion on the internet..

Last edited:
This is NOT evidence of innocence by any stretch of the imagination!

"They went through a year... putting Mr. Morphew behind bars in a cage for five months... concealing evidence of innocence," she expressed.
Eytan says that included information about DNA found in Suzanne's car.

"The DNA did not match Barry Morphew but it matched other individuals in unsolved sex offense cases in this country," she said.

iMO this is evidence of IE publicising her new company.

Partial DNA from sex assaults in Tempe/AZ, Phönix/AZ and Chicago/IL.

I am thinking about the possibility, if BM might have a friend, who visited sometime in CO and is perhaps tied with NBA teams. The locations of the assaults would be not so bad matching. In addition, I imagine, LE in AZ and IL would have suspected rather their usual sex offenders than men from an elite club resp. surroundings. Whether someone from the local club or someone from their opponents, wouldn't be known though.

IE called Cahill on the phone the night before his testimony in the PH. Cahill testified the next day in the PH. He said he had not read the full AA(only 19 pages), was gone on military service, and believed they arrested BM too early. He introduced the partial DNA non match theory of a traveling sex offender who breaks into glove boxes and then murders people and plants their bikes on the side of a road where they never ride their bikes then frame the husband by making him go sit in a hotel on mothers day in broomfield for 7 hours before making 5 trash runs after 90 truck events throughout the night, following elk in pitch black next to a planted bike helmet,after lying about the state of the marriage. Cahill was being demoted at the time for shooting himself with his service weapon. Judge Murphy bought it. Did ie also call judge murphy the night before the PH?

Judge Murphy thinks partial DNA is reason to grant bail to a murderer.

EVERYONE HERE HAS PARTIAL DNA IN THEIR VEHICLE THAT PARTIALLY MATCHES A SEX OFFENDER.

Partial DNA from sex assaults in Tempe/AZ, Phönix/AZ and Chicago/IL.

I am thinking about the possibility, if BM might have a friend, who visited sometime in CO and is perhaps tied with NBA teams. The locations of the assaults would be not so bad matching. In addition, I imagine, LE in AZ and IL would have suspected rather their usual sex offenders than men from an elite club resp. surroundings. Whether someone from the local club or someone from their opponents, wouldn't be known though.
could be there for years.. mechanic somewhere, manufacturer, prior owner, anyone BM transported at any time...

"They went through a year... putting Mr. Morphew behind bars in a cage for five months... concealing evidence of innocence," she expressed.

"The DNA did not match Barry Morphew but it matched other individuals in unsolved sex offense cases in this country," she said.

This is exactly what I was complaining about upthread

She is blatantly misrepresenting the evidence to push a conspiracy theory.

How is this OK?

could be there for years.. mechanic somewhere, manufacturer, prior owner, anyone BM transported at any time...
Doesn't matter, could be cleared up on this occasion perhaps. Would be nice for the victims in AZ and IL and for the statistic. In addition it makes sense to learn of BM's "shady" friends at some point, if the DNA stems from a friend (or a friend of a friend). IMO
Of course, we know, that BM probably is responsible for the disappearing (murder) of his wife, and the partial DNA will have nothing to do with THIS crime.

Doesn't matter, could be cleared up on this occasion perhaps. Would be nice for the victims in AZ and IL and for the statistic. In addition it makes sense to learn of BM's "shady" friends at some point, if the DNA stems from a friend (or a friend of a friend). IMO
Of course, we know, that BM probably is responsible for the disappearing (murder) of his wife, and the partial DNA will have nothing to do with THIS crime.
Since the DNA was found on the glove box of her car, which doesn't seem to have had any role in her disappearance, it's even crazier that they are pretending it's significant.

I thought the DNA was not from someone involved in any sexual assault crime directly but perhaps a relative? As in, the guy who rotated her tires, or detailed her car, might have a cousin or uncle elsewhere in the country who is connected to some assault. IIRC/MOO.

If the mystery DNA was found on her bike, or helmet, it would still be irrelevant but at least I could understand the attempt by the defense to make it seem connected. But on her car which wasn't involved in her disappearance? Really too far a stretch IMO.

You are correct the dna is NOT evidence of of his innocence. And Iris knows this and all of her disciples know this.

And yet ? She still goes out there and reps it as fact. How is this okay? Just imo

4/18/23

View attachment 415724

Suzanne Morphew is still missing and the case appears to be stalled, but it still haunts attorneys on both sides.

Nearly a year to the day since the case into the 49-year-old Maysville mother's disappearance was dismissed, her husband’s attorney has filed a complaint against the prosecution team for going after Suzanne's husband, Barry Morphew, with what she called “suspicion vision.”

Iris Eytan believes Morphew — once seen as a condemned man — is 100% innocent, was wrongly accused and then railroaded through the system.

[..]

Eytan’s allegations are the latest in a string of unfortunate incidents regarding the notorious case of the missing Maysville, Colorado woman. The prosecution has been through a number of attorneys, some who were borrowed from other firms or agencies, and others who joined the team as special prosecutors.

Courtroom gamesmanship from the defense held up the process at times and got to the point where one day, Deputy District Attorney Mark Hurlbert pulled himself away from the podium where he was making an argument, shaking his head in frustration.

Suzanne Morphew, 49, went missing from her remote mountain home, about a 15-minute drive west of Salida, sometime between May 9 and 10, 2020. Thousands of people turned out to look for her on horseback, on foot and in the streams and rivers.

Barry Morphew, was arrested nearly a year later, May 5, 2021, on suspicion of first-degree murder and tampering with physical evidence in her disappearance.

[..]

“Find Suzanne,” said Eytan. “Do your job. My client was held for five months in a cage based on information that wasn’t true.”

Eytan said she 100% believes that Barry Morphew is innocent in his wife’s disappearance and would not divulge what the 56-year-old is doing now, saying only that the family needs a rest from public scrutiny.

Eytan believes the Morphew case is a perfect example of an epidemic of prosecutorial misconduct which she believes is sweeping the country.

After 30 years as a criminal defense attorney, Eytan has started a non-profit called “Protect Ethical Prosecutors.” In one of the group's inaugural moves, she hopes to create legislation in Colorado in 2024 which would make it possible to sue prosecutors personally.

Chaffee County Sheriff Chief John Spezze, one of the original investigators in the case, told The Denver Gazette that the search for Suzanne Morphew is still open and active.

In a conversation with The Denver Gazette, her older sister, Melinda Moorman Balzer, said that she prays every day for Suzanne’s remains to be found.

“I stand with the appointed people who are the authorities including John Spezze and the DA team who has been designated for now,” said Balzer.

Prosecutors have said in court that they believe Morphew killed his wife and hid her body in one of the many wells which dot the area of Maysville near the remote mountain home where the couple lived.
BBM
Eytan continues with the falsehoods. She sets the stage by calling his cushy jail cell a "cage" which of course Iris knows is technically not accurate. It's just her way of spinning/exaggerating it to make it seem that his treatment was less humane than others in the same situation. And then saying that he was locked up based on info that was not true - ? I am not aware what information was proven untrue. We never got to the trial and the experts bc of her shenanigans.
Someone needs to call this woman out. Its way long overdue. IMO

4/18/23

View attachment 415724

[..]

[..]

IE says the Morphew family needs a rest from public scrutiny? Then she should shut up. Wanting prosecutors disbarred? Suzanne was murdered. Where is justice for the victim? That, too, is dead it seems.

This is vile & sickening. When a CO district court fails a victim (whether that failure is forced or unforced), what is the remedy?

A reporter needs to pursue that question because the answer cannot be NOTHING!

MOO

Last edited:

It was a tiny run of DNA (from the glove box) that likely matched thousands of people in the US and even more in Asia - it was not an exclusive match.

But yes, there was at least one AZ sex offender within that group (matched via CODIS, presumably). Happens all the time with fragmentary, degraded touch DNA. So far as I know, BM was not at all excluded from that group by any statement in court, but it's been long enough that I might not be remembering.

IIRC. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member