Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

He's a bit of a disaster okay but I think she got what she needed when she needed it, validation as a woman and a beautiful woman.
I think it made her stronger and she was more clearly in a position mentally to really look at the domineering bore that was her husband and the control he exerted over her all those years, ref transcripts of her messages to her friend from AA.

For all we know her bf may be broken hearted and bereft following her murder.
It is so sad.

I'm glad she had the experience of being 'in love' so close to her untimely death.

i also think there is so much more we don't know about the abuse she suffered over the years at the hands of her spouse who had her so tightly choked she didn't know fact from fiction.
Coercive control and domestic violence at the level of physical mental and spiritual because he controlled God too..
I agree with both perspectives.
I am no fan of JL.
Could write a book on all issues there.
But we have to look at it from our entrapped naive sweet Suzanne's angle.

For right or wrong......
I am grateful she died thinking she was loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
While looking for more info on Edna Q, I went back and reread the CBS article. What does the bolded statement mean? The investigation was never closed, right? I assume they simply mean we don’t know the cause and manner of death for Suzanne yet.

A frequent question we have seen pop up since Suzanne Morphew's remains were discovered at the end of September surround her estranged husband and the possibility of a new arrest for her murder. It's important to note at this time Colorado Bureau of Investigation has not stated if her case is a homicide investigation following the identification of her remains, and no arrests have been made.

While looking for more info on Edna Q, I went back and reread the CBS article. What does the bolded statement mean? The investigation was never closed, right? I assume they simply mean we don’t know the cause and manner of death for Suzanne yet.

A frequent question we have seen pop up since Suzanne Morphew's remains were discovered at the end of September surround her estranged husband and the possibility of a new arrest for her murder. It's important to note at this time Colorado Bureau of Investigation has not stated if her case is a homicide investigation following the identification of her remains, and no arrests have been made.

IMO, it means that it is still a 'missing person' investigation. If the coroner rules the manner of death is homicide, then I guess it will move from a MP case to a homicide case.

Well she didn't bury herself so I'm not sure what this is about..

"Paired" means via a Bluetooth device, so either the phone was in the car, or...here are many opportunities. Wondering about BM getting into MM's icloud.

BTW, pay attention - MG was his contractor. So, he mush have trusted her. Yet later he called her and the other guy working for him "methead". He doesn't see anything good in humans.
Because BK himself is not a good or moral person, and therefore cannot see the good in anyone else. He has a high self-esteem, probably from an overly doting mother and/or maybe some type of BPD.

BM never really excelled at anything, he was basically a scrub on a minor league baseball team, operated a self owned business which was involved in many shady situations. Remember he sold his 'business' to a father and son in IN and they sued him because he had way overstated the value and worth?

BM is a con man, a fake, a hypocrite, a liar, a user, and an abuser of women, while also playing the Godly man card. I want more than anything to see him spend the rest of his days in a 12 x 8 cell, trapped just like the poor animals he hunted and killed for the simple joy of it. Chipmunks anyone? Grrrrrrrr.

MOO

Last edited:
Maybe IE actually believes BM is innocent?????

The way the document is pleaded certainly anticipates that he would testify. Whereas if they only did the discovery violations stuff he would not necessarily have to.
Our esteemed mrjitty, I just cannot conceive that IE believes him innocent! This woman is highly intelligent as shown by her ability to manipulate the truth in such a way that she has others believing he’s innocent. Not the majority of us here of course, but some more simpleminded folk out there:) I don’t include the daughters as they are suffering from cognitive dissonance. To believe their father capable of murdering someone as lovely as their mother is just inconceivable to them. But Iris? If she can read, she KNOWS he killed Suzanne. The people she’s fooling are the ones that can’t read or won’t read the AA.

No, she KNOWS who killed Suzanne. She also knows that if she succeeds in getting him found “not guilty” she is set for life. Every wife murdering animal (like Barry) with deep pockets would be lining up at her office door. JMHO :)

Amazing mountain lion now burying his prey...

It's a civil case, so the standard of proof is only preponderance of the evidence (>50%). So burden of proof means a lot less than it does in a criminal trial.

I'm not saying that I think the case is or was likely to succeed, just that they must have had a strategy for getting past summary judgment and I can't imagine that strategy involved Barry testifying. I don't like IE, but she doesn't strike me as crazy or incompetent.

I guess the other possibility is that Barry just really wanted them to go on the offensive so IE got her friend a payday and is fine with the civil case being dismissed eventually.

I think they can get past a motion for summary judgment right now (possibly) but it will be interesting to see what this judge does if BM does take the fifth throughout his depositions. It's different to when defendants in a civil case take the fifth. What other evidence can Barry offer the judge than his own testimony and his claim that he was unfairly investigated?

Our esteemed mrjitty, I just cannot conceive that IE believes him innocent! This woman is highly intelligent as shown by her ability to manipulate the truth in such a way that she has others believing he’s innocent. Not the majority of us here of course, but some more simpleminded folk out there:) I don’t include the daughters as they are suffering from cognitive dissonance. To believe their father capable of murdering someone as lovely as their mother is just inconceivable to them. But Iris? If she can read, she KNOWS he killed Suzanne. The people she’s fooling are the ones that can’t read or won’t read the AA.

No, she KNOWS who killed Suzanne. She also knows that if she succeeds in getting him found “not guilty” she is set for life. Every wife murdering animal (like Barry) with deep pockets would be lining up at her office door. JMHO :)
Maybe some equate ‘not guilty’ with ‘innocent’ or perhaps not proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

I do not personally find the above three conditions equivalent. But I am not a lawyer. MOO

I believe any discussion about leaving together for Ecuador was just ... fantasy as lovers do. I don't think JL planned to ever leave his wife and children either, AND I don't think Suzanne wanted him to. IIRC, she was going to leave BM and not contact JL for a while.

I disagree that JL was a cad using Suzanne for a good time. Could be that she was using him or they were using each other ;) They knew each other way back, she trusted him and they were also friends. I believe he helped her realize her worth and probably validated a lot of her feelings regarding BM's treatment of her.

Agree.

It isn't easy to leave a long relationship, especially when family and kids are involved, especially when health has been both a longterm and immediate (and expensive) concern, especially when one is no longer young, especially when one is not securely employed...

Sometimes freedom requires a spring, and levers. SM did not need JL to find her longterm freedom, but I have no doubt that he helped in the short term, as proof of what might be.

I don't view this as cynically as some. Maybe each viewed their love for the other as sincere, despite their awareness of the costs to others. Maybe it was the fulfillment of long-held fantasy. Maybe SM would have begun an interesting and worthwhile new life on the back of this affair and maybe JL would have put the experience behind him and rededicated himself to spouse, family, work life, etc.

Nothing says Carpe diem like the return of a possibly terminal condition. Few men scream "Get out!" as loud as Barry. I find it hard to fault SM for finding her escape hatch, and while JL's response to her disappearance seems to have lacked courage and the will to help find her, no matter the personal cost, he may well have loved her well enough in the ways she required.

This case has always featured complex choices and characters.

BM, of course, offers neither. His motivation and method in the murder of SM is, IMO, likely to have been just as simple, basic and cack-handed as his landscaping was.

Agree.

It isn't easy to leave a long relationship, especially when family and kids are involved, especially when health has been both a longterm and immediate (and expensive) concern, especially when one is no longer young, especially when one is not securely employed...

Sometimes freedom requires a spring, and levers. SM did not need JL to find her longterm freedom, but I have no doubt that he helped in the short term, as proof of what might be.

I don't view this as cynically as some. Maybe each viewed their love for the other as sincere, despite their awareness of the costs to others. Maybe it was the fulfillment of long-held fantasy. Maybe SM would have begun an interesting and worthwhile new life on the back of this affair and maybe JL would have put the experience behind him and rededicated himself to spouse, family, work life, etc.

Nothing says Carpe diem like the return of a possibly terminal condition. Few men scream "Get out!" as loud as Barry. I find it hard to fault SM for finding her escape hatch, and while JL's response to her disappearance seems to have lacked courage and the will to help find her, no matter the personal cost, he may well have loved her well enough in the ways she required.

This case has always featured complex choices and characters.

BM, of course, offers neither. His motivation and method in the murder of SM is, IMO, likely to have been just as simple, basic and cack-handed as his landscaping was.
You just wrote the prosecution's opening statement.

jmo

Relationship btwn SM & JKL?
....Maybe SM would have begun an interesting and worthwhile new life... and maybe JL would have put the experience behind him and rededicated himself to spouse, family, work life, etc.
"...JL's response to her disappearance seems to have lacked courage and the will to help find her, no matter the personal cost, he may well have loved her well enough in the ways she required.
snipped for focus @scapa

This: "he may well have loved her well enough in the ways she required..."
(Adding --- at that time)

Thank you, scapa, for expressing this in a way I have sensed but had not seen here.

Referencing the bolded part of your post, I’m taking that as “sloppy journalism”. Her case has to be a homicide investigation now bc Suzanne certainly didn’t unalive herself and dig her own grave. It certainly was no accident she ended up 50 miles from home in a shallow grave. All just my .02 and MOO
#Justice4Suzanne

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I agree with both perspectives.
I am no fan of JL.
Could write a book on all issues there.
But we have to look at it from our entrapped naive sweet Suzanne's angle.

For right or wrong......
I am grateful she died thinking she was loved.
Agree with that for sure. He did provide a boost to her confidence. Maybe thats all she was really looking for, to be honest. ❤️
moo
#Justice4Suzanne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads