Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well she didn't bury herself so I'm not sure what this is about..
They do not owe it to the public to tell us the status. As you stated, she didn’t bury herself. If it was suicide or natural causes, you can bet BM would have given er a nice funeral and would take over all finances without going through the courts. He would have not had a reason to bury her in a shallow grave. However, BM murdered her.
They know itt is a homicide.

BBM

They said that the Gimmie Fund Me was to help with food and accommodations for their family members who were coming in from out of town to help search. Which Morphew family members came in from out of town and when did those supposed searches take place? They didn’t or the media would’ve been all over them.

BM promised to give a full accounting of all the funds collected, $31K if I recall correctly. Surprise, that never happened either.

The Gimmie Fund was started by BM’s nephew TN and the beneficiary was BM’s mother! IMO, it was a total Morphew money grab. :mad:

JMO
I was hoping TM would make a statement regarding Suzanne being found.

While looking for more info on Edna Q, I went back and reread the CBS article. What does the bolded statement mean? The investigation was never closed, right? I assume they simply mean we don’t know the cause and manner of death for Suzanne yet.

A frequent question we have seen pop up since Suzanne Morphew's remains were discovered at the end of September surround her estranged husband and the possibility of a new arrest for her murder. It's important to note at this time Colorado Bureau of Investigation has not stated if her case is a homicide investigation following the identification of her remains, and no arrests have been made.

Given the location and nature of the site where the remains were found and the circumstances surrounding her disappearance, there could hardly be a manner of death other than homicide. There are only four other choices: natural, accidental, suicide or undetermined. As far as cause of death, that is being evaluated now by the Coroner and may never be known precisely.

I would think the lack of a statement about it being a homicide investigation just reflects the fact they really haven’t said much at all about their investigation of the remains site.

Suzanne’s bf was NEVER going to leave his wife and children. I wish she had just left, period! She underestimated how dangerous, cruel and vile BM was. She “didn’t feel safe” when with him, but little did she know he’d kill her. Barry was never going to part with 50% of his money & property, not to mention the huge blow to his ego! JL was a cad using Suzanne for a good time. Those men are a dime a dozen. But his attention to Suzanne at least got her out of her shell she crawled into because of Barry. JL got her to realize she could move on, be excited by someone else. I hate it ended too soon for her. Poor, darling, trusting Suzanne. broken hearted for her.
edit by me MOO
I agree.

Continuing the charade, how do they turn to LE now to find the killer of their wife and mother, at the same time they are suing the forces of CBI, FBI, and the County Sheriff? Does IE tell the daughters that justice for BM and $$$ are the priority and finding the killer isn't going to make their lives better?

What a greedy mess they made -- and they all deserve each other. JMO
MOO Suzanne woke up in the middle of that ugly family dynamic.
Father made pirates of the girls and he was puppetmaster so stay on script.

I was hoping TM would make a statement regarding Suzanne being found.
I assume you mean TN? I had completely forgotten about him until recent posts reminding me of his early involvement... He sure backed out of his role as family contact almost immediately. We all guessed why that was the case three years ago; I haven't changed my mind since then and I bet he hasn't, either.

any ideas for sleuthing while we're waiting?
could take ages, particularly if an entire new investigation has to begin..
Already one witness is dead.. Jeff RIP..
i didn't think his premature death would adversely effect original trial as they have his statements..and presumably the person that took them is still breathing..

in my view it would be insane to start at the beginning again..
we'd prolly all be dead by the time it gets to court..

i hate victim blaming and I hate perp blaming too.
Just not in this case or the other Colorado case we saw this year.

She repelled me from the outset, my body would physically recoil and I could not bring myself to try to get inside her head, it was that strong. Actually she scared me.

This boy enrages me. He doesn't scare me but I would not be alone with him.
He repels me too in the way an incel repels.

It was a good day when Linda Stanley took him off the streets, something she never got credit for and she's not getting it now either though it is warranted IMO.
i cannot discuss this in the way I would like because it would be contra TOS.

I'm aware this is not a popular view and I've been following the case closely for the duration so I probably know anyway..

She did the right thing for the right reasons IMO.

I shared an article here early this morning and I had to research some bits of it because i didn't know the players.

It left me shocked and very angry.

..waffling now so humor me please or better still, put me on Ignore for the duration and spare yourselves my ramblings
Sometimes I notice that the prosecution and entire legal process imitates the exact dynamic of a crime, no matter how repugnant..

That was a long way of saying that the rage BM invokes in me is exactly the same as the rage this process in its current state and recent state invokes.

I'm only one organism and we're all different and have different and unique triggers.

MG , Jeff and Andy M are all very much in my mind right now.

They got real raw deals IMO and current tug of war disrespects them further and disrespects Suzanne.

It doesn't have to be like this.

JMO

Amazing mountain lion now burying his prey...
IMO - the Mountain Lion has been Exonerated..... time and time again for several years.
Mountain Lions kill their prey by shaking and breaking their prey's neck and critical blood arteries. Because of this there would be a significant bloody trail at the scene of the attack.

There was absolutely no blood found around Suzanne's bike.

Suzanne was not killed by a Mountain Lion.

JMO

Last edited:
I am still thinking the shallow grave was discovered by drones as the other search for Edna was going on. I’m hopeful there was clothing or some type of fabric that maybe caught the attention of searchers. Hoping if that’s the case, it will hold clues and ties to Suzannes’s murderer. It would not surprise me if she were dressed in biking clothing when found. Would also make more sense how her port was still there. Weigh in with your thoughts, it’ll be months before we hear anything. MOO
IMO, I don’t believe a single thing BM has said about anything, I’ll be absolutely shocked if she were dressed in biking clothing when found. MOO

We know the attraction of high school relationships, especially ones that "weren't meant to be". Today we speak about "unresolved gestalts", but basically, it is intense curiosity of "how it might have been, if". I suspect that Suzanne was split over Barry a long time ago - on the one hand, "God has provided", on the other, he was a boorish, narcissistic, uncaring, rigid man. And especially since in HS she "disappeared" with JL, for one evening, maybe she always kept that image of a tender, cute boy in her mind? We always say, "history doesn't have subjunctive mood", yet on a personal level, who hasn't fallen into this trap? So once, in a fragile moment of her life, Suzanne wanted to create the past that didn't happen....
<snipped by me>
I think you humanized Suzanne's relationship with JL perfectly! Your explanation is well written, in good taste and most important, it's without judgement. It was great effort on your part to see beyond the cheating and empathize with her being that was so suppressed and really hurting. Very moving!

Hopefully someday, her daughters will know and understanding everything you wrote :)

i hate victim blaming and I hate perp blaming too.
Just not in this case or the other Colorado case we saw this year.

She repelled me from the outset, my body would physically recoil and I could not bring myself to try to get inside her head, it was that strong. Actually she scared me.

This boy enrages me. He doesn't scare me but I would not be alone with him.
He repels me too in the way an incel repels.

It was a good day when Linda Stanley took him off the streets, something she never got credit for and she's not getting it now either though it is warranted IMO.
i cannot discuss this in the way I would like because it would be contra TOS.

I'm aware this is not a popular view and I've been following the case closely for the duration so I probably know anyway..

She did the right thing for the right reasons IMO.

I shared an article here early this morning and I had to research some bits of it because i didn't know the players.

It left me shocked and very angry.

..waffling now so humor me please or better still, put me on Ignore for the duration and spare yourselves my ramblings
Sometimes I notice that the prosecution and entire legal process imitates the exact dynamic of a crime, no matter how repugnant..

That was a long way of saying that the rage BM invokes in me is exactly the same as the rage this process in its current state and recent state invokes.

I'm only one organism and we're all different and have different and unique triggers.

MG , Jeff and Andy M are all very much in my mind right now.

They got real raw deals IMO and current tug of war disrespects them further and disrespects Suzanne.

It doesn't have to be like this.

JMO
He is on the street sueing the taxpayers.

He's a bit of a disaster okay but I think she got what she needed when she needed it, validation as a woman and a beautiful woman.
I think it made her stronger and she was more clearly in a position mentally to really look at the domineering bore that was her husband and the control he exerted over her all those years, ref transcripts of her messages to her friend from AA.

For all we know her bf may be broken hearted and bereft following her murder.
It is so sad.

I'm glad she had the experience of being 'in love' so close to her untimely death.

i also think there is so much more we don't know about the abuse she suffered over the years at the hands of her spouse who had her so tightly choked she didn't know fact from fiction.
Coercive control and domestic violence at the level of physical mental and spiritual because he controlled God too..
I agree with your position on the matter with JL 100%! "domineering bore" ... "the control he exerted over her all those years" ... "her spouse who had her so tightly choked she didn't know fact from fiction".

@kittythehare , you don't mince words. Seems that you got Barry Morphew's number!

I agree with your position on the matter with JL 100%! "domineering bore" ... "the control he exerted over her all those years" ... "her spouse who had her so tightly choked she didn't know fact from fiction".

@kittythehare , you don't mince words. Seems that you got Barry Morphew's number!
it's more like I read her words often and each time the reading is like new and I perceive even deeper depths of despair like someone living in a hellhole.. she is tentatively texting a friend, almost apologetically and it's the space behind her words, the things he has done to her over the years that are most frightening.

She knew she was right when she said it was no longer safe to be alone with him..

It is not her fault that she didn't say it on time and loud enough.
He had eroded her .

IMO, I don’t believe a single thing BM has said about anything, I’ll be absolutely shocked if she were dressed in biking clothing when found. MOO
Here’s some thoughts on the issue of clothing evidence for discussion. I’m thinking if any clothing evidence was found at the remains site it will likely tell a lot about the time of the killing.

If in bathing suit, it would point toward the afternoon of the 9th (when she was sunbathing). If in casual clothing, sometime later on the 9th, assuming she changed from the bathing suit.

If she’s found in sleeping attire, I’d think it would indicate the killing occurred between bedtime on the 9th and early morning of 10th.

If no clothing evidence is found it might have multiple implications:
  • Whenever she was killed, she was stripped. That doesn’t tell us jack, as Mr. Morphew, or (if I can say this with a straight face) the “real killer” could have removed whatever clothing, if any, she was wearing when placed at the remains site.
  • It might point more toward Mr. Morphew on the afternoon of the 9th (much easier/quicker to remove a bathing suit) or after bedtime (assuming she wore little or no clothing to bed, though I believe he claimed she had some sort of sleeping costume).
  • If she was fully clothed, particularly wearing shoes, it would be more of a chore to strip her, and more evidence to dispose of. This might make post-bathing suit to pre-bedtime somewhat less likely.
It would seem unlikely that Suzanne was killed in biking attire, mainly because the evidence I’m aware of indicates there was no bike ride. If she’s found in anything other than her bike clothes, it would imply her killing occurred after the (staged) bike ride, which would strongly implicate Mr. Morphew.

I’m sure there are other angles to this clothing issue, your thoughts?

P.S. Do we know what clothing has been found at the home, bathing suit, sleeping attire, or bike clothes (we do know the camelback was, I can’t remember about her shades)?

<snipped by me>
I think you humanized Suzanne's relationship with JL perfectly! Your explanation is well written, in good taste and most important, it's without judgement. It was great effort on your part to see beyond the cheating and empathize with her being that was so suppressed and really hurting. Very moving!

Hopefully someday, her daughters will know and understanding everything you wrote :)
I do so as well. At the same time their daughters need to find a path of healing from their mom's murder/death.

Life and complicated relationships are so hard, but I'm hoping SM's daughters will find helpful resources to help them work through both their mom's death and who might be responsible.

JMO

Here’s some thoughts on the issue of clothing evidence for discussion. I’m thinking if any clothing evidence was found at the remains site it will likely tell a lot about the time of the killing.

If in bathing suit, it would point toward the afternoon of the 9th (when she was sunbathing). If in casual clothing, sometime later on the 9th, assuming she changed from the bathing suit.

If she’s found in sleeping attire, I’d think it would indicate the killing occurred between bedtime on the 9th and early morning of 10th.

• Whenever she was killed, she was stripped. That doesn’t tell us jack, as Mr. Morphew, or (if I can say this with a straight face) the “real killer” could have removed whatever clothing, if any, she was wearing when placed at the remains site.
  • It might point more toward Mr. Morphew on the afternoon of the 9th (much easier/quicker to remove a bathing suit) or after bedtime (assuming she wore little or no clothing to bed, though I believe he claimed she had some sort of sleeping costume).
  • If she was fully clothed, particularly wearing shoes, it would be more of a chore to strip her, and more evidence to dispose of. This might make post-bathing suit to pre-bedtime somewhat less likely.
It would seem unlikely that Suzanne was killed in biking attire, mainly because the evidence I’m aware of indicates there was no bike ride. If she’s found in anything other than her bike clothes, it would imply her killing occurred after the (staged) bike ride, which would strongly implicate Mr. Morphew.

P.S. Do we know what clothing has been found at the home, bathing suit, sleeping attire, or bike clothes (we do know the camelback was, I can’t remember about her shades)?
Her swimsuit was hanging up and I'm confident Suzanne did this herself. As I've said previously, I don’t know that BM knows how to operate a hanger.

I think Barry expected Suzanne to go on a bike ride. On Saturday. Which is why he texted her 'did you leave?' It is my opinion that she was in the process of dressing when all the chipmunks launched their attack on BM.

I find BM's landscaping to be fantastically uninspired and I'm finding his self to be likewise profoundly unimaginative...

IMO her attire gave him the idea. He just stole the extra 12 or so hours, but we can be certain Suzanne was never, on Saturday OR Sunday, preparing for a Sunday morning bike ride.

If there was a brown towel in the shallow grave, BM should just walk to the jail and let himself in.

I happen to think that BM made a dramatic point of boxing up Suzanne's belongings so the obvious person to identify what might be missing would never have that opportunity. We'll never know what all he threw away.

My prediction, regarding the grave: no fabric, no fibers.

JMO

Last edited:

I have two different thoughts about what she is wearing..
1. Her bathing suit or whatever she was wearing that Saturday afternoon because Barry buried her thinking nobody will find her or..
2. He changed her into a bike outfit with shoes before burying her. That would mean he was thinking ahead that she would "disappear" while riding her bike. Could his mind think that fast doing that?

But again.. he sure made a lot of trash stops. ANY of those items could've been thrown away..

We agree on most. Yes, they used each other. I don't have nice feelings about him bc when she “disappeared”, he went completely silent, not just ghost, but dead silent. He deleted everything he could delete, even got a new phone, old one wasn’t available. He said he didn’t want to come forward and tarnish her image. Maybe…., but he was hoping his wife wouldn’t find out. Can’t blame him, 5 or 6 kids at home, mostly grown, worried his marriage would be over. But he hid so well that it took the spy pen and FBI 5 or 6 mos to find him. Never came forward to offer to help locate her or give information that might be helpful.
Didn’t he ever wonder what happened to her? She dropped off the face of the earth and he never tried to help find her. Broken hearted for Suzanne.
#Justice4Suzanne. MOO (my .02) :)

I am bothered by JL not coming forward because it showed how selfish he really was. Suzanne had told him things about Barry and how she had been treated by him. He knew Barry when they were younger and I am sure he could anticipate Barry’s reaction if he found out about them. My problem is that if JL contacted LE as soon as Suzanne went missing, the investigation could have gone differently. LE would have known what they were dealing with, a woman involved in an affair, who had an alpha male husband talking mountain lions and bike rides in places with crazy climbs. I feel like LE would have had the upper hand with that knowledge. JL only worried about himself. Suzanne had that bad man picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member