Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her swimsuit was hanging up and I'm confident Suzanne did this herself. As Ive said previously, I don’t know that BM knows how to operate a hanger.

I think Barry expected Suzanne to go on a bike ride. On Saturday. Which is why he texted her 'did you leave?' It is my opinion that she was in the process of dressing when all the chipmunks launched their attack on BM.

I find BM's landscaping to be fantastically uninspired and I'm finding his self to be likewise profoundly unimaginative...

IMO her attire gave him the idea. He just stole the extra 12 or so hours, but we can be certain Suzanne was never, on Saturday OR Sunday, preparing for a Sunday morning bike ride.

If there was a brown towel in the shallow grave, BM should just walk to the jail and let himself in.

I happen to think that BM made a dramatic point of boxing up Suzanne's belongings so the obvious person to identify what might be missing would never have that opportunity. We'll never know what all he threw away.

My prediction, regarding the grave: no fabric, no fibers.

JMO
@Megnut I must have missed the part of the swimsuit... I didn't think they found it. I'll have to reread the AA for the 100th time haha

They do not owe it to the public to tell us the status. As you stated, she didn’t bury herself.
"They" haven't leaked one word or any of their cards since SM's body was discovered. For that, I am very hopeful they are getting all of their ducks in a row, dotting all of their i's and crossing their t's. The ball has already been fumbled once in this case, so they've tightened their grip. LE has no reason to hurry as there is no statute of limitations for murder.

<snipped by me>
I think you humanized Suzanne's relationship with JL perfectly! Your explanation is well written, in good taste and most important, it's without judgement. It was great effort on your part to see beyond the cheating and empathize with her being that was so suppressed and really hurting. Very moving!

Hopefully someday, her daughters will know and understanding everything you wrote :)
Eloquently stated. My hat’s off to you. Our sweet Suzanne deserves much Justice. Thank you @SleuthBee ❤️
MOO
#Justice4Suzanne

Last edited:
Here’s some thoughts on the issue of clothing evidence for discussion. I’m thinking if any clothing evidence was found at the remains site it will likely tell a lot about the time of the killing.

If in bathing suit, it would point toward the afternoon of the 9th (when she was sunbathing). If in casual clothing, sometime later on the 9th, assuming she changed from the bathing suit.

If she’s found in sleeping attire, I’d think it would indicate the killing occurred between bedtime on the 9th and early morning of 10th.

If no clothing evidence is found it might have multiple implications:
  • Whenever she was killed, she was stripped. That doesn’t tell us jack, as Mr. Morphew, or (if I can say this with a straight face) the “real killer” could have removed whatever clothing, if any, she was wearing when placed at the remains site.
  • It might point more toward Mr. Morphew on the afternoon of the 9th (much easier/quicker to remove a bathing suit) or after bedtime (assuming she wore little or no clothing to bed, though I believe he claimed she had some sort of sleeping costume).
  • If she was fully clothed, particularly wearing shoes, it would be more of a chore to strip her, and more evidence to dispose of. This might make post-bathing suit to pre-bedtime somewhat less likely.
It would seem unlikely that Suzanne was killed in biking attire, mainly because the evidence I’m aware of indicates there was no bike ride. If she’s found in anything other than her bike clothes, it would imply her killing occurred after the (staged) bike ride, which would strongly implicate Mr. Morphew.

I’m sure there are other angles to this clothing issue, your thoughts?

P.S. Do we know what clothing has been found at the home, bathing suit, sleeping attire, or bike clothes (we do know the camelback was, I can’t remember about her shades)?
Trying to go on memory here because it’s been months, but I believe the swimsuit was found on Suzanne’s closet floor. I had wondered about her maybe in biking clothing not because I think she went biking, but it would fit in with BM’s staged bike ride. MOO

Trying to go on memory here because it’s been months, but I believe the swimsuit was found on Suzanne’s closet floor. I had wondered about her maybe in biking clothing not because I think she went biking, but it would fit in with BM’s staged bike ride. MOO
Bikini, hanging. Bike shorts on the floor, JMO

Her swimsuit was hanging up and I'm confident Suzanne did this herself. As Ive said previously, I don’t know that BM knows how to operate a hanger.

I think Barry expected Suzanne to go on a bike ride. On Saturday. Which is why he texted her 'did you leave?' It is my opinion that she was in the process of dressing when all the chipmunks launched their attack on BM.

I find BM's landscaping to be fantastically uninspired and I'm finding his self to be likewise profoundly unimaginative...

IMO her attire gave him the idea. He just stole the extra 12 or so hours, but we can be certain Suzanne was never, on Saturday OR Sunday, preparing for a Sunday morning bike ride.

If there was a brown towel in the shallow grave, BM should just walk to the jail and let himself in.

I happen to think that BM made a dramatic point of boxing up Suzanne's belongings so the obvious person to identify what might be missing would never have that opportunity. We'll never know what all he threw away.

My prediction, regarding the grave: no fabric, no fibers.

JMO
The brown towel in or around the shallow grave would be the “cherry on top” wouldn’t it? Not holding out much hope for that, but it’s a nice thought. Even I have a hard time thinking he could be THAT dumb.

The brown towel in or around the shallow grave would be the “cherry on top” wouldn’t it? Not holding out much hope for that, but it’s a nice thought. Even I have a hard time thinking he could be THAT dumb.
Oiris will have a chipmunk expert to say that chipmunks enjoy carrying brown towelling items for miles or some such BS.

We agree on most. Yes, they used each other. I don't have nice feelings about him bc when she “disappeared”, he went completely silent, not just ghost, but dead silent. He deleted everything he could delete, even got a new phone, old one wasn’t available. He said he didn’t want to come forward and tarnish her image. Maybe…., but he was hoping his wife wouldn’t find out. Can’t blame him, 5 or 6 kids at home, mostly grown, worried his marriage would be over. But he hid so well that it took the spy pen and FBI 5 or 6 mos to find him. Never came forward to offer to help locate her or give information that might be helpful.
Didn’t he ever wonder what happened to her? She dropped off the face of the earth and he never tried to help find her. Broken hearted for Suzanne.
#Justice4Suzanne. MOO (my .02) :)
Ahhh, we agree on more than you think, and I am following you for a reason ;)

I understand, but I do NOT agree with the way JL handled himself when SM disappeared. It's one thing for a wife to deal with the reality her husband was unfaithful, but also possibly involved with the woman's disappearance or worse, her death is far, far worse. A husband showing himself to be an extreme coward and with no regard for the woman's life, would not go well with me at all.

JL's actions did not say much for him or his wife. A good/smart woman isn't going to just throw away a long term relatively happy marriage with a family of 6 children over one affair ... not when forgiving her husband is easier. All is just my humble opinion.

If my position is difficult to understand, just let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.

Did anyone ever research whether hanging her swimsuit in her closet was typical for her? I'm not a swimmer, but would think bathing suits would go in a drawer as closet space is at a premium for "regular" clothing, but then again her closet was probably as large as my bedroom! Just wondering if her girls or anyone else may have thought that would have been an unusual location for it to be placed. Maybe ol' Barry was trying to be efficient and hung it, but Suzanne never would have.

Did anyone ever research whether hanging her swimsuit in her closet was typical for her? I'm not a swimmer, but would think bathing suits would go in a drawer as closet space is at a premium for "regular" clothing, but then again her closet was probably as large as my bedroom! Just wondering if her girls or anyone else may have thought that would have been an unusual location for it to be placed. Maybe ol' Barry was trying to be efficient and hung it, but Suzanne never would have.
I don't find it odd. I hang my suit up for a while after I take it off. If it's hot enough to be outside sunbathing, I'm going to sweat in it and want it to dry before I either throw it in the wash or put it back in the drawer.

I am bothered by JL not coming forward because it showed how selfish he really was. Suzanne had told him things about Barry and how she had been treated by him. He knew Barry when they were younger and I am sure he could anticipate Barry’s reaction if he found out about them. My problem is that if JL contacted LE as soon as Suzanne went missing, the investigation could have gone differently. LE would have known what they were dealing with, a woman involved in an affair, who had an alpha male husband talking mountain lions and bike rides in places with crazy climbs. I feel like LE would have had the upper hand with that knowledge. JL only worried about himself. Suzanne had that bad man picker.

Yes. Further, he had been in recent contact with her and had critical information about the timeline. He remained silent as the news spread nationwide that she was missing w/ local, state & federal LE all looking for her. He literally turned his back on her. He didn’t know if information he could provide could have been a lifeline for her. LE even pleaded with her “dear” friends to come forward. I suspect when that plea went out they had the pen recording and was trying desperately to identify the male on the recording (I still think it’s odd she recorded their conversation). Zilch from JL. If he was afraid of BM he wouldn’t have risked his life meeting SM and having the affair. He gets zero from me. His wife I feel very sorry for, although I’m sure she doesn’t need my sympathy. Hopefully she’s on a path to healing. I can’t imagine trying to reconcile the man I thought I knew with everything that transpired with my husband’s affair partner going missing, then found deceased with an accused husband in the mix. BM aside, JL is another kind of terrible. IMO

I am bothered by JL not coming forward because it showed how selfish he really was. Suzanne had told him i things about Barry and how she had been treated by him. He knew Barry when they were younger and I am sure he could anticipate Barry’s reaction if he found out about them. My problem is that if JL contacted LE as soon as Suzanne went missing, the investigation could have gone differently. LE would have known what they were dealing with, a woman involved in an affair, who had an alpha male husband talking mountain lions and bike rides in places with crazy climbs. I feel like LE would have had the upper hand with that knowledge. JL only worried about himself. Suzanne had that bad man picker.
If I was JL, I think (hope) I would have contacted LE, probably pleading for anonymity. Or at the very least, contacted them anonymously. He probably now wishes he had.

It is my opinion that Barry killed her straight up on entry to the house. Deliberately or unhinged rageful outburst.
Because he flew out of the truck and left the door open.
Who does that?
why would you do that?
urgency.

I think SM was still likely in the bathing suit as it was early afternoon and she had no plans that we are aware of to have any need to get dressed.
The bathing suit in the house makes me think he disposed of her nude...in a shallow grave so nature would reclaim her without evidence.

The alternative will be she will be in bike clothes.
Because he fleeted between 2 narratives. we see this lot. Disjointed actions which seem to take on 2 different objectives.
So he has the mountain lion eating her ( am sorry that sounds so harsh...remember when he got back to the house talking to LE about a lion getting her so callously blew my mind...the thought of that would have broken me verbalising to LE. Take note BM) and her remains dispersing as such from knowing animals will pray on her body at a shallow depth.
If bike clothes are with her....the bad bad man who abducted and killed her story in the mix.
Staging the bike and helmet has me unsure which way his scrambled mind went.

moo

If I was JL, I think (hope) I would have contacted LE, probably pleading for anonymity. Or at the very least, contacted them anonymously. He probably now wishes he had.
Good suggestion. After reading the affadavit he seems like a wimp. "I thought she was abducted" and "I didn't feel I'd have much to offer." What? This woman reached out to you because of problems with her spouse and probably vented to you daily about him. Didn't have anything to offer? He may know things about what Barry did to her that even her female friends or family members may not know.

Good suggestion. After reading the affadavit he seems like a wimp. "I thought she was abducted" and "I didn't feel I'd have much to offer." What? This woman reached out to you because of problems with her spouse and probably vented to you daily about him. Didn't have anything to offer? He may know things about what Barry did to her that even her female friends or family members may not know.
It is pretty transparent what SM meant to him. :(

I'm glad she didn't know the truth.

eta
I am a black and white person about infidelity usually.

But I do not hold SM accountable to JL's marriage.
That was all on him. He owes respect and trust to his wife.

It is always easy to blame the 'other woman' (usually when a wife isn't going to leave her wandering husband) however......

A good man is ungettable.

That part is black and white.

Last edited:
Ahhh, we agree on more than you think, and I am following you for a reason ;)

I understand, but I do NOT agree with the way JL handled himself when SM disappeared. It's one thing for a wife to deal with the reality her husband was unfaithful, but also possibly involved with the woman's disappearance or worse, her death is far, far worse. A husband showing himself to be an extreme coward and with no regard for the woman's life, would not go well with me at all.

JL's actions did not say much for him or his wife. A good/smart woman isn't going to just throw away a long term relatively happy marriage with a family of 6 children over one affair ... not when forgiving her husband is easier. All is just my humble opinion.

If my position is difficult to understand, just let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.
Just curious, did his wife forgive JL and stay with him? I haven’t heard.

Post in thread 'CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*' CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

This from the preliminary, describes her bikini pictured in her proof of life as being distinct, found hanging in her closet. Credit to our own @NoSI.
Good find!

Okay, so the bikini was located inside the house. So, she came in from sunbathing and went to her bedroom. We know the bedroom door was kicked in. What about the white shorts and string top?

This supports SM being undressed: For BM to dress or undress her, she would be tranquilized or deceased. IIRC, there was a strong smell of bleach detected in that house, so there was something involving fluids. Blood? And bowels release when a body dies and urine releases during or after a traumatic death. I imagine BM frustrated cleaning it up, then rigor mortis begins. At that point, he wouldn't have the patience to dress her. JMO.

So everything he used to clean up was what he was seen throwing away. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray@Payton