Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The brown towel in or around the shallow grave would be the “cherry on top” wouldn’t it? Not holding out much hope for that, but it’s a nice thought. Even I have a hard time thinking he could be THAT dumb.
I don't think he knew about that last proof of life photo she sent JL. Wasn't he asked about that brown towel by LE on one of the many interviews? I hope he didn't think anyone would know about that towel and maybe that could be one thing that gets him.

DBM

Last edited:
I think he was so confident he would be able to keep her from ever being discovered, he didn't bother. I hope they find the dart with her remains. I really hope they found great evidence that bring him to justice.
I think he either buried her in the clothing she changed into.... perhaps the white fringe top and shorts, or the bikini. But also he could have put her body into biking clothing in an attempt to complete his staging scenario... imo

Now that LE has reason to believe BM was 50 miles away from PP between the hours of 11pm and 3am on the Saturday night of MDW, LE can trawl through all their tips and collected data...

If BM used an ATV to retrieve a different truck, they can review saved CCTV, they can pull warrants for other vehicles, they might even have data of him checking on his burial site, just didn't know the significance of those data points at the time.

It's possible that BM had a different burial in mind, one he started and aborted.

I'm not forgetting about the heavy equipment at the beach site... not in his truck of course, but I bet he'd have had no trouble "borrowing" someone else's diesel.

Maybe he WAS going to bury a cooler there but the neighbor turning on her porch light spooked him.

So, now seriously pressed for time, he drove out to no man's land -- the boneyard -- to dig as far as he could before day could break.

All the while, he was probably muttering to himself, Oh, Suzanne, why'd ya haveta...

When he should've been asking himself why he'd done such deplorable, damning thing to a woman who labored for decades to make him look like a better man.

jmo

Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office

MEDIA ADVISORY: 05 October 2023

Colorado Bureau of Investigation Serving as Lead Agency for Morphew Discovery and Addressing Media Inquiries

SALIDA, COLO - Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is reinforcing that the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is the lead agency for investigations related to the discovery of Suzanne Morphew’s remains in Saguache County. Suzanne Morphew was reported missing from her home in Chaffee County on May 10, 2020.

CBI’s press release addressing this can be found at Remains positively identified as Suzanne Morphew | Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Any inquiries related to this topic should be directed to CBI; neither Chaffee County’s Sheriff’s Office nor the Chaffee County Government will issue statements or provide information related to this investigation.

The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case to the tip line at (719) 312-7530.

Did Barry want Suzanne found? Here's why I give that a strong no.

The planting of the helmet served two purposes:
In Barry's dumb (you know what) mind, it helped sell the abduction theory.
It was planted in both the opposite direction of where Barry traveled that morning, and away from where her body was eventually located.

Barry would have been concerned that the body would provide evidence against him, and he wouldn't take that risk.

Yes, there is a financial component to the motive, insomuch as Barry wanted to keep what he had; divorce would upend the lifestyle to which he had become accustomed (namely the house).

The shallow grave indicates that Barry hadn't given the body disposal a great deal of thought, that, or something went wrong that night that altered his plans. He was trying to get away with murder, and from what we know about how his mind works, and how this all likely went down, I just can't make that idea work (wanting her found).

With that in mind, no, I don't think he did anything creative, like re-dressing her body. If she's gone forever, then who cares about what she's wearing? There is a period of time where her communication with Jeff ceases, and Barry has yet to return home. Assuming that she was wearing her bathing suit when she was messaging Jeff, and assuming that the defense was correct when they claimed the bathing suit was hanging up (no push back from the prosecution), then I think she was changing during that period.

Suzanne is either going to be found nude (Barry might take clothes off but I just don't see him putting clothes on), or she's going to be found with clothing items that are not biking clothes. I'm hoping for the latter, as that would prove absolutely devastating to Barry's defense.
IMO MOO BBM

“There is a period of time where her communication with Jeff ceases, and Barry has yet to return home.”

I feel this is an important part of the timeline that needs more attention. This case has so many elements and potential players to it, that it leaves room for other possible scenarios to have played out that day. I cannot dismiss one theory that isn’t discussed as often: an accomplice who was paid off to do the dirty work.

I have always likened BM’s post-murder reactions and sense of arrogant confidence at proclamations of being innocent, to that of someone who thinks he has his hands clean because he didn’t commit the actual murder. He has taunted everyone around him since Mother’s Day 2020 as if challenging them to pin this crime on him.

That behavior and attitude has had me look at this from an angle of someone who may have planned this crime but not actually taken the life of the victim.

When you have talk of burner phones, confusing text communications, dark web activity, possible unknown secondary vehicles for transport, shady friends, hush money, pay offs, acquaintances moving away, etc., it has all the elements for an accomplice scenario.

There is so much to elaborate on to support this theory that I don’t have the time to dive into rn, but I’ll condense it to this:

I feel during that window of time (about 30 minutes) when SM went quiet and before BM arrived, is when SM was disabled. I feel an accomplice could have arrived at the house before BM and made their move to neutralize SM based on BM’s command. That accomplice was the one that cracked the MB door to get to SM. BM then arriving in a panic to the home was his adrenaline to putting his plan into place and begin the disposal and staging process. At that point the accomplice had his role to play of taking SM off premise and finishing the act while BM burned her diary, phone, jewelry, etc., and staged his alibi and a false abduction scene. All the while being unaware and detached of where or how SM would meet her fate, thus leaving BM to quasi-play out his feelings and reactions that he has served up to us since the evening of Mother’s Day 2020.

IMO MOO

Did Barry want Suzanne found? Here's why I give that a strong no.

The planting of the helmet served two purposes:
In Barry's dumb (you know what) mind, it helped sell the abduction theory.
It was planted in both the opposite direction of where Barry traveled that morning, and away from where her body was eventually located.

Barry would have been concerned that the body would provide evidence against him, and he wouldn't take that risk.

Yes, there is a financial component to the motive, insomuch as Barry wanted to keep what he had; divorce would upend the lifestyle to which he had become accustomed (namely the house).

The shallow grave indicates that Barry hadn't given the body disposal a great deal of thought, that, or something went wrong that night that altered his plans. He was trying to get away with murder, and from what we know about how his mind works, and how this all likely went down, I just can't make that idea work (wanting her found).

With that in mind, no, I don't think he did anything creative, like re-dressing her body. If she's gone forever, then who cares about what she's wearing? There is a period of time where her communication with Jeff ceases, and Barry has yet to return home. Assuming that she was wearing her bathing suit when she was messaging Jeff, and assuming that the defense was correct when they claimed the bathing suit was hanging up (no push back from the prosecution), then I think she was changing during that period.

Suzanne is either going to be found nude (Barry might take clothes off but I just don't see him putting clothes on), or she's going to be found with clothing items that are not biking clothes. I'm hoping for the latter, as that would prove absolutely devastating to Barry's defense.
I hadn’t settled in my mind whether he wanted her found or not. I’m settled now. He did not. Another reason for this is her fingernails. They too would have sunk him good. Is it too much to hope for that they may still tell a tale if found?

Now that LE has reason to believe BM was 50 miles away from PP between the hours of 11pm and 3am on the Saturday night of MDW, LE can trawl through all their tips and collected data...

If BM used an ATV to retrieve a different truck, they can review saved CCTV, they can pull warrants for other vehicles, they might even have data of him checking on his burial site, just didn't know the significance of those data points at the time.

It's possible that BM had a different burial in mind, one he started and aborted.

I'm not forgetting about the heavy equipment at the beach site... not in his truck of course, but I bet he'd have had no trouble "borrowing" someone else's diesel.

Maybe he WAS going to bury a cooler there but the neighbor turning on her porch light spooked him.

So, now seriously pressed for time, he drove out to no man's land -- the boneyard -- to dig as far as he could before day could break.

All the while, he was probably muttering to himself, Oh, Suzanne, why'd ya haveta...

When he should've been asking himself why he'd done such deplorable, damning thing to a woman who labored for decades to make him look like a better man.

jmo
I remember, that the woman, who heard machines running, heard also voices of a man and a woman talking in the dark of the night. Maybe, this talking woman had a car available, which BM used for Moffat?

IMO if there was an accomplice at all, it was an unwitting one. One who gave him access at the fire station to a vehicle.

IMO that window of time just prior to BM's arrival back at PP during which Suzanne wasn't answering his calls or texts tells me Suzanne was away from her phone. Showering. WhatsApping. Doing linens/laundry. Phone charging.

It was a gorgeous day in Colorado. Nothing to stop her from donning her baby blue cycling gear, grabbing her re-charged phone, driving to a favorite trail head and biking for about 45 minutes, to feel powerful and strong and celebrate kicking cancer's asparagus for the second time!

But BM got home before she could go.

Raging and self-righteous and with every intention to put her in her place.

JMO

nothing new

Remains’ Location and Condition Suggest Homicide​

The remains were found in a desert area in Moffat, approximately 45 miles south of Morphew’s home. Forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden believes that the remains are likely preserved enough to determine her cause of death, and the circumstances of the remains’ burial suggest a homicide.

The Saguache County coroner is currently examining the remains and the crime scene for additional evidence, such as bullets, DNA, or signs of a struggle. Dr. Baden stated that the investigation may take weeks or months due to the need for lab testing.

nothing new

Remains’ Location and Condition Suggest Homicide​

The remains were found in a desert area in Moffat, approximately 45 miles south of Morphew’s home. Forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden believes that the remains are likely preserved enough to determine her cause of death, and the circumstances of the remains’ burial suggest a homicide.

The Saguache County coroner is currently examining the remains and the crime scene for additional evidence, such as bullets, DNA, or signs of a struggle. Dr. Baden stated that the investigation may take weeks or months due to the need for lab testing.

The article also states that the coroner said the remains were well preserved enough to indicate cause of death, testing could take weeks to months.

Hahaha Yes, Barry was asking if he could have “immunity” if he bared his soul!
hahahahaha Would love to have seen the look on Grusing’s face! MOO
I recall Letecia Stauch asking for immunity and she came off just as ridiculous. What in the heck are these people thinking? You can't make this stuff up.

Barry asked, “And what about immunity? Can you give me immunity if I sit and just open my life to you"?
SA Grusing asked immunity for what, and Barry replied, “I think in case somebody falsely convicts me, or something.

SA Grusing said, “You won't be falsely convicted".
[AA page 78 para 9]

On

One puzzling thing about his traveling west, is why he went so far to turnaround. From where he saw the elk and coincidentally, the bike helmet was found, it is another 2 miles west to where he turned around in Garfield. There are 7 or 8 wide turnouts before Garfield, and at 4:30 in the morning you could do a three point turn anywhere.

I think he threw her phone at the point he turned round. Bike one place, helmet another, phone another.

He appeared surprised in the AA that LE didn't have her phone, he stated he assumed they found it.

Moo

IMO MOO BBM

“There is a period of time where her communication with Jeff ceases, and Barry has yet to return home.”

I feel this is an important part of the timeline that needs more attention. This case has so many elements and potential players to it, that it leaves room for other possible scenarios to have played out that day. I cannot dismiss one theory that isn’t discussed as often: an accomplice who was paid off to do the dirty work.

I have always likened BM’s post-murder reactions and sense of arrogant confidence at proclamations of being innocent, to that of someone who thinks he has his hands clean because he didn’t commit the actual murder. He has taunted everyone around him since Mother’s Day 2020 as if challenging them to pin this crime on him.

That behavior and attitude has had me look at this from an angle of someone who may have planned this crime but not actually taken the life of the victim.

When you have talk of burner phones, confusing text communications, dark web activity, possible unknown secondary vehicles for transport, shady friends, hush money, pay offs, acquaintances moving away, etc., it has all the elements for an accomplice scenario.

There is so much to elaborate on to support this theory that I don’t have the time to dive into rn, but I’ll condense it to this:

I feel during that window of time (about 30 minutes) when SM went quiet and before BM arrived, is when SM was disabled. I feel an accomplice could have arrived at the house before BM and made their move to neutralize SM based on BM’s command. That accomplice was the one that cracked the MB door to get to SM. BM then arriving in a panic to the home was his adrenaline to putting his plan into place and begin the disposal and staging process. At that point the accomplice had his role to play of taking SM off premise and finishing the act while BM burned her diary, phone, jewelry, etc., and staged his alibi and a false abduction scene. All the while being unaware and detached of where or how SM would meet her fate, thus leaving BM to quasi-play out his feelings and reactions that he has served up to us since the evening of Mother’s Day 2020.

IMO MOO
This is an interesting theory, but there are a few things which seem at odds with it:
  • BM had 3 or 4 of what looked like crescent shaped gouges on his arm, which may indicate SM attempted to fight him off (before or after she may have been shot with a tranquilizer dart).
  • Not knowing at the time whether LE had surveillance which showed what/where and which may have allowed them to collect specific evidence tied to him, BM admitted to throwing away tranquilizer-dart-related materials in one of his several garbage dumping stops.
  • He also admitted to shooting tranquilizer darts from the doorway near the back patio where SM had been sunbathing (although he said he had done so at deer, to collect their antlers). This suggests he thinks that - if LE had been able to collect the tranquilizer-related things he dumped - he is concerned that there may be evidence indicating that HE was the one who shot tranquilizer darts.
  • The needle sheath (that appears related to tranquilizer darts) was found in the lint filter of the dryer with the clothes BM had been wearing earlier in the day. (ETA: the sheets from MM's bed were also still in the dryer. IIRC, SM had a to-do list which included washing those sheets, so she is likely who put the sheets there and given that, it seems likely the lint filter was cleaned out between loads - as those who regularly do laundry tend to do),
  • BM had armfuls of things - clothing, boots, and other - that he threw in the garbage at hotel where he stayed in Broomfield. And he changed his clothes there multiple times throughout the day. Those seem like the types of activities that one might do to rid themselves of DNA connection to a dead body AND the place where it was placed.

Given all these, I think that even IF someone else was involved or otherwise present and aware, BM was there at the time SM was captured and disabled and was fully involved himself.

I recall Letecia Stauch asking for immunity and she came off just as ridiculous. What in the heck are these people thinking? You can't make this stuff up.

Barry asked, “And what about immunity? Can you give me immunity if I sit and just open my life to you"?
SA Grusing asked immunity for what, and Barry replied, “I think in case somebody falsely convicts me, or something.

SA Grusing said, “You won't be falsely convicted".
[AA page 78 para 9]
I think that excerpt would be lovely, embroidered and framed, for his prison wall.

Well, it's how I'm going to imagine it.

IMO MOO BBM

IMO MOO
Some good theorizing here !

My .02 at this time is that BM was a "Get-R-Done" type of guy who thinks : If you want something done right... you gotta do it yourself !

I'm also of the thought that he used someone else's vehicle, either knowingly on the part of the other person --or unwittingly on their part.
IF so, the other party may be reluctant to speak up because they know they could be in deep doodoo with the law .

And maybe BM paid them off to access their truck/suv; so they're keeping quiet ?
Anything is possible, IMO.
Omo.

IMO MOO BBM

IMO MOO
All very interesting. I've wondered if he paid someone to take her off the premises, and it's possible that person didn't even know what they were transporting. Someone who desperately needed money. "Take this cooler to x-location" or "Take this barrel to x-location" and then it's possible she was moved out of that object at some point into the location she was finally discovered in.

I think he threw her phone at the point he turned round. Bike one place, helmet another, phone another.

He appeared surprised in the AA that LE didn't have her phone, he stated he assumed they found it.

Moo
Bolding mine.
Crazy !!!!

It's like BM is giving up information they haven't even asked for !!
It's as if Barry is 'burying' himself , without any help.
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member