Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. Do we know what clothing has been found at the home, bathing suit, sleeping attire, or bike clothes (we do know the camelback was, I can’t remember about her shades)?
^^rsbm

I also recall something about SM's sunbathing suit located hung up in the closet but believe this was revealed during the preliminary and not in the AA. I'm not certain authorities could determine what the suit looked like from the "proof of life photo." MOO

ETA: Confirming suit info from PH tweets

Last edited:
They only knew of JL because of Suzanne's spy pen recording her talking to a Jeff. They didn't find the identy if Jeff till November I believe it was. He admitted to deleting the app on his phone and eventually turning in his work phone for a new one. He didn't come forward.
He didn’t.

The affair was discovered when law enforcement discovered a spy pen in Suzanne’s closet which she purchased to place in Barry’s vehicle because she suspected him of having an affair.

A spy pen is a voice activated device that records speech. It had recorded Suzanne speaking with a man named Jeff.

“She was speaking as if Jeff was her lover,” Nielson said. “It took law enforcement two months to identify Jeff.”

Suzanne grew up in Indiana and she and her family moved to Salida in 2008. Jeff Libler lives in Michigan, is married and the father of six children. He and Suzanne met when they were teenagers and reconnected 20 years later when she contacted him on Facebook saying “Hi, stranger.”

Nielsen, in questioning lead investigator, Commander Alex Walker, asked if Libler came forward once it was known that Suzanne was missing.

He hadn’t until he was found in November when he said he did not come forward because he was protecting her legacy and did not want her to be known for having an affair. Also he was protecting himself.

You’re welcome and no worries. I happened to have the JL story handy. Keep on posting!

Glad to see everyone back here.
A mostly united force, letting Barry know we still see him.
❤️ I’m glad to see everyone back here too and next to have justice for Suzanne. I realize it’s going to take time.

One truck was outfitted for snow plowing. Big blade welded on the front and oversized snow tires. Not really a “highway” truck.
I am curious if the blade could be removed? I mean a little trip that needed to go undetected might warrant a one time exception? I wonder if the 2013 version of the truck had the ability to be tracked? I'm certain LE has looked into it, just curious if it can't be tracked maybe they didn't include it because they can't say one way or the other weather it was used. Was it in the garage or out? I don't recall seeing it in the areal footage for that next day.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how will her port tell anything?
Are some folks actually of the opinion he injected something into her port?
The missing tranq dart & it's contents?

The idea of him injecting something deadly into her port just screams incredibly diabolical, and I don't see him that way at all. Narcissistic, controlling, a terrible liar, yes. Diabolic and/or truly evil, no.
<snipped for focus>
You're not ignorant, just unfamiliar. Take a look at the port placement. The length of that catheter resting inside of the vessel fills with blood. Odds are in favor of a testable amount of dried blood remaining inside.

Now, in the event he used it to inject her, it's unlikely he was smart enough to flush it, removing the contents of what was injected.

I no longer believe she was nude at the time of burial. BM seemed repulsed by her illness, I think if the port was visible, he would have ripped it out. It took issue with her pain meds, alternative treatments and marijuana use ... anything of help. She was isolated and fought that cancer alone. Diabolical ... you got that right!

All in MOO.

❤️ I’m glad to see everyone back here too and next to have justice for Suzanne. I realize it’s going to take time.
We got time!

Another case I follow is seeing some movement after 8 years. Today they had a hearing in the case against Brooks Houck for the murder of Crystal Rogers. It's been a long time coming to get her justice. Her dad was also murdered a year and a half after she was. He was trying to solve her case.. I think he was getting too close. Turns out today at the hearing the state announced the gun used to kill her dad was likely a gun the brother of the accused sold. It was definitely a new piece and hopefully solidly connects Brooks to not only Crystals murder, but her dads. Sometimes justice moves slow, but I know as in that case and this one there are some very dedicated law enforcement officers that won't stop till it's done.

Before I get any more confused, we seem to have MSM saying that the Saguache County Coroner is doing the medical examination of the remains.

It makes sense, of course, if they sent the remains on to the place with the biggest team - is that what happened? If so, the article where the forensic pathologist says it "looks like a homicide" is wrong about which county the Coroner is in.

On the other hand, the forensic pathologist mentioned in that article (Dr. Baden) is in New York, I believe. He's famous.

There is no coroner quoted by name in that article.

I'll do some more...digging.
The CBI press release states that the El Paso County Coroner ID’d the remains.

5E3A0764-3D4F-4BC5-8C5F-4D46A7015D41.jpeg

@Hilt I’m not sure when exactly we got an explanation for that ping, all I know is I was very disappointed when we learned of that.

Also, this would have been a massive piece of evidence that the prosecution would have hammered on. There’s a reason they didn’t.
Are there published records from the Preliminary Hearing that explain why the location of the last ping on Suzanne’s phone is unreliable (i.e., wasn’t 11.5 miles west of the Poncha Tower)? The coincidence of Mr. Morphew being at the location where LE (apparently mistakenly) locates the last ping seems as improbable as the Noah’s Ark of animal episodes he invokes to explain his whereabouts at other times (turkeys, chipmunks, deer, lions, elk…)

AM i la

Am I late to the party in believing this press release from Chaffee County sounds as if Anne Kelly will now take the case as lead prosecutor? I had not seen this release and it sure sounds that way to me. And CBI has leadership of investigation.

edited

I don't think the press release goes that far, just that Kelly is the point person for further communication.

If it's determined that Suzanne died in Saguache County, I don't know what will happen. If it is never determined where, exactly, she died, then I assume her kidnapping and relocation to a grave started in Chaffee County and the case will be tried there on that basis. The mishandling of a dead human is likely a felony throughout the State, but the kidnapping would take precedence over that, I would think.

I know most of us think Suzanne was killed at home - but that may be very, very difficult to determine forensically. It's also possible he took her to Saguache County and finished her off (deer tranquilizer is easily lethal to humans).

I don't think the press release goes that far, just that Kelly is the point person for further communication.

If it's determined that Suzanne died in Saguache County, I don't know what will happen. If it is never determined where, exactly, she died, then I assume her kidnapping and relocation to a grave started in Chaffee County and the case will be tried there on that basis. The mishandling of a dead human is likely a felony throughout the State, but the kidnapping would take precedence over that, I would think.

I know most of us think Suzanne was killed at home - but that may be very, very difficult to determine forensically. It's also possible he took her to Saguache County and finished her off (deer tranquilizer is easily lethal to humans).
They don’t actually mention Kelly or any Judicial District.
They are saying the CBI is the lead agency on the investigation and for media inquiries.
jmo

112857C7-E665-4F79-8425-6E19B7A88B1D.jpeg

I am going with the latter as well. Perhaps it's because Barry contradicts previous statements that I believe she was buried wearing white shorts and a white string-type shirt.
  • He insists they had sex but couldn't recall if she was nude (?).
  • He insists that SM never slept in the nude.
I doubt she got up after sex and put on shorts to go back to bed. If she were nude, I think he would have removed her port. He knew what she was wearing the last he saw Suzanne and he was the last one to see her alive.

Barry stated he awoke to his alarm at 4:30 AM. Barry explained that when he awoke, Suzanne was still asleep in the master bed. Barry stated he heard her snoring. Barry said he showered and left the house at about 5:00 AM. Barry stated he last saw Suzanne wearing short white shorts and a white string-type shirt.
[AA page 20 para 1]
Bringing up the last person to see Suzanne alive, not including Barry, when/where was the last actual sighting of Suzanne?

But wouldn't JL have told the police that then?
I agree with the OP that SM likely left the sunbathing lounge in response to 'get naked' message but JL never saw/heard from SM again after she replied she was on WhatsApp.

I recall authorities located BM's spy camera box/instructions inside the master bath but not the camera.

From the AA, JL doesn't believe they ever used WhatsApp that time or later.

1696540540936.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members