Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link in your post.
"Surveilance" - May 9, 2020: White Range Rover going westbound at 3:05 PM, Loaf & Jug, Undersherriff Andy Rohrich states several times that he never believed this is/was SMs Range Rover (even though another officer thought it was and wrote it up in the report as such). 14 minutes later westbound driving by Collegiate Peaks Bank at 3:19 PM, at 3:20 PM westbound by Salida Auto Sales. Defense states that it would take about 20 - 25 minutes from Puma Path to Loaf & Jug in Salida. Undersherriff Rohrich believes it doesn't take that long.

If this was Suzanne’s RR, was it going in the right direction for Moffat?
I recall the RR in surveillance proved not be be SM's vehicle -- different bumper than SM's.

I wonder if they would have found any of the trash Barry threw away if they knew sooner that communication with Suzanne ended at 2:44 that day.
IMO, that's a big OUCH in this case.

Within the first hour, LE suspected BM. So, I think they would have obtained the cctv footage sooner then had an opportunity to search the garbage dumps. IMO.

They don’t actually mention Kelly or any Judicial District.
They are saying the CBI is the lead agency on the investigation and for media inquiries.
jmo

View attachment 451729

They did if you click on the Press Release Link. Here's the sentence with her name:

The remains were located in the 12th Judicial District, and District Attorney Anne Kelly has been notified.
Which is why I said it appears to be telling who the communications point person is, and not anything at all about who is going to be handling prosecution of any case. It's from the CBI press release that is in the announcement you just attached and is also right here:

7th paragraph.

I assume that Ms Kelly is a Chaffee County Employee, because she's grouped in the announcement with Sheriff Spezze. And as you can see, the press release from CBI does mention the 12th Judicial District.

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV
Now talking about the 2:03 p.m. sunbathing photo #SuzanneMorphew sent to Jeff Libler on May 9. The bikini was found in the master closet with other bathing suits. There was no blood on the bikini or tears, according to the defense

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV
The bikini wasn't collected as evidence. In the photo of #SuzanneMorphew sunbathing, you can only see a small portion of the bikini strap so can't tell if it had been torn or any of the photos from the closet, according to the undersheriff

They did if you click on the Press Release Link. Here's the sentence with her name:

Which is why I said it appears to be telling who the communications point person is, and not anything at all about who is going to be handling prosecution of any case. It's from the CBI press release that is in the announcement you just attached and is also right here:

7th paragraph.

I assume that Ms Kelly is a Chaffee County Employee, because she's grouped in the announcement with Sheriff Spezze. And as you can see, the press release from CBI does mention the 12th Judicial District.
Not trying to quibble, but I don’t see Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office or the CBI saying that Kelly is a point of contact - just that she was notified of the discovery of remains in her District- the 12th Judicial District.

Chaffee County is in the 11th Judicial District.

jmo

Thank you. I wish he would have spoken up, but likely didn’t want everyone, including his wife and family, to know about their relationship. Selfish and cowardly of him for sure.
The thing is, his daughter found out about the affair before Suzanne went missing. I guess his wife feels doubly betrayed.

I agree with the OP that SM likely left the sunbathing lounge in response to 'get naked' message but JL never saw/heard from SM again after she replied she was on WhatsApp.

I recall authorities located BM's spy camera box/instructions inside the master bath but not the camera.

From the AA, JL doesn't believe they ever used WhatsApp that time or later.

View attachment 451728
I seem to recall from the PH that the final message or one of the final messages from JL indicates that he has to go hang with his gang (or words to that effect). Does anyone remember this?

ETS - Found it
Later that day, he texted her that 'my gang is my home'. There were no texts after that.

Suzanne Morphew spent the afternoon before she vanished texting lover

Last edited:
They don’t actually mention Kelly or any Judicial District.
They are saying the CBI is the lead agency on the investigation and for media inquiries.
jmo

View attachment 451729

I agree that the latest press release dated 10/5/23 by CCSO is specific to inquiries about the ongoing investigation and inquiries should be directed to CBI as neither the Sheriff nor Chaffee County Govt are issuing statements related to the investigation.

IMO, the prosecution may be by a special prosecutor, the 12th, a combination of both Judicial Districts, or other, yet to be determined.

I seem to recall from the PH that the final message or one of the final messages from JL indicates that he has to go hang with his gang (or words to that effect). Does anyone remember this?
No, the final message from JL was sent days after Mother's Day. The point is that SM went dark -- stopped communicating or acknowledging JL's messages following the message she was on WhatsApp.

I am curious if the blade could be removed? I mean a little trip that needed to go undetected might warrant a one time exception? I wonder if the 2013 version of the truck had the ability to be tracked? I'm certain LE has looked into it, just curious if it can't be tracked maybe they didn't include it because they can't say one way or the other weather it was used. Was it in the garage or out? I don't recall seeing it in the areal footage for that next day.
Why bother? He had a Range Rover in the driveway without a GPS.

I don't think the press release goes that far, just that Kelly is the point person for further communication.

If it's determined that Suzanne died in Saguache County, I don't know what will happen. If it is never determined where, exactly, she died, then I assume her kidnapping and relocation to a grave started in Chaffee County and the case will be tried there on that basis. The mishandling of a dead human is likely a felony throughout the State, but the kidnapping would take precedence over that, I would think.

I know most of us think Suzanne was killed at home - but that may be very, very difficult to determine forensically. It's also possible he took her to Saguache County and finished her off (deer tranquilizer is easily lethal to humans).
I’m wondering what if it can’t be determined where she died, just only the time window of her death, and that BM killed her? Since she was found in Saguache County wouldn’t it make since for her death to be prosecuted there? I seems plausible to me because Linda Stanley is leaving and every law officer in Chaffee County is involved in BM‘s lawsuit.

I may need assistance climbing out of this rabbit hole, but ---

Mr. Morphew claimed his search for the dead turkey was the explanation for why he was creeping up to the marital home on foot the day of Suzanne’s last known communication.

According to a presumably authoritative source, (https://www.turkeymanagement.com/turkey-species/#:~:text=This%20turkey's%20habitats%20are%20brush,to%206%2C000%20feet%20in%20elevation.):

There are six sub-species of wild turkey in Central and North America. The Rio Grande turkey ranges through Texas to Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oregon, and central and western California, as well as parts of a few northeastern states where they have been stocked. This is only turkey subspecies to be found at elevations up to 6,000 feet in elevation.

The elevation east of 19057 Puma Path, where the deceased turkey was being sought on the probable day of the murder – 8760 ft. One wonders what the turkey was doing 2760 feet above its reported range early in the season, when it presumably would have been at lower (warmer) elevations with far greater foraging opportunities.

I wonder, (1), how well Mr. Morphew’s claim was checked out, and (2) is this potentially another convenient, off-the-cuff lie that might be disprovable.
I fully believe Barry is lying, but the kind of wild turkey we have in the Colorado mountains are Merriam's, which can live up to 10,000 ft elevation.

The reason I know this is a) I'm a bird nerd, and b) we have some family lore about a late uncle of mine jumping out of a car to chase a flock of wild turkeys near Skaguay Reservoir (Elevation 8920 ft.) back in the day. Good thinking though! We all know a turkey isn't the reason BM was lurking around.

Ah but the press release from CBI most assuredly mentions Anne Kelly.
ETA: See post 787 above. Cindizzi posted it and 10ofRods replied.
Replying to my own post.
Sorry Cindizzi. The notice from the CBI mentioned Anne Kelly, in that she had been notified. Why do that unless they (CBI) are bringing her in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova