Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q
Oh, yes, strong case to be made for using Suzanne's own vehicle. I would love to know if LE took a look at the position of the seat/mirrors... or whether the undercarriage was tested for vegetation/pollen/soil.... or whether the dogs had occasion to sniff at Suzanne's car...

That being said, I think a strong case can also be made for a borrowed car.

JMO
According to the PCA witnesses said Barry's affair with Darke began in December 2020, but no hard evidence until July 2020.
So there is one person that could have helped.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how will her port tell anything?
Are some folks actually of the opinion he injected something into her port?
The missing tranq dart & it's contents?

While I am 100% convinced BM is guilty of killing Suzanne, I think it was done in a fit of rage. Blunt force or strangulation.
The idea of him injecting something deadly into her port just screams incredibly diabolical, and I don't see him that way at all. Narcissistic, controlling, a terrible liar, yes. Diabolic and/or truly evil, no.

jmo

I'm not unfamiliar at all. I only wish that were the case.

I've followed Suzanne's case from the start, and my own late husband had the same exact port, in the same area (different cancer, same exact chest placement & treatment protocol as Suzanne's).

That said, the idea of BM injecting her into her life-saving treatment port with a concoction he knew would kill her, seems over the top, hateful and hurtful to me. I think BM is a self-obsessed creep, but I don't think he's a tortueous monster.

I think in his own, twisted, weird way, BM really did love SM. Of course I could be wrong, but it really does seem like a crime of passion, and not a crime of torture, that a chemo port used to facilitate murder, would imply.
I just didn't want you to feel ignorant for asking the question, so I used the word unfamiliar hoping you would feel better about it, that's all. I had no idea you suffered the loss of your husband to cancer. I am so, so sorry :( This case must be tough for you.

As far as I've read, no one thinks he injected anything into her port. I think your question was the only mention of that. You probably know more about the ports than most of us.

I agree with you about it being a crime of passion, for sure.

I hope this thought keeps BM up at night!

BM's may think lite of his antler collecting activity, but know this, what he's been doing to the deer is beyond abuse. If the buck doesn't succumb to bleeding, he suffers and becomes vulnerable prey. It's cruel and inhumane treatment of animals! At the very least, BM should never be allowed to possess a hunting license. What kind of a person does this?
Fortunately, the tranquilizing deer a week or two prior thing, was a complete lie. Bucks apparently shed from January to March, and we're talking late April here. He was explaining why it was possible that there may be some sort of tranquilizer evidence in the backyard.

He's chasing chipmunks to shoot them, which is the exact opposite of how you would hunt them.
He's tranquilizing bucks for antlers, when they don't even have them.
He's following a herd of elk in the dark (with a bull), when female elk don't even travel with males in herds that time of year.
He's looking for a the corpse of a turkey, that would have been rotten and insect infested.
He's in the backyard in the dark, looking for a bear (as one does at night).
He's speculating that a mountain lion attacked Suzanne, when there is no evidence of an attack.

Not to be mean, but if anyone believes this nonsense, you're probably supporting a Nigerian Prince.

Q

According to the PCA witnesses said Barry's affair with Darke began in December 2020, but no hard evidence until July 2020.
So there is one person that could have helped.
Did you mean December 2019? I suspected the dumpster encounter happened prior to SM’s murder. I can’t say why exactly, just a feeling.

They already had experts prosecuting but they refused to allow them to present highly significant DV evidence.
This was in order to punish them for being late with paperwork for the defense and refusing to take an entire office eviction into account though it ran concurrently. It had nothing at all to do with anybody concealing partial DNA which is not DNA at all or anything much else either.

You can bring in the best prosecutor on the planet and throw the same nonsense at them and they will move to dismiss too without prejudice.
The case needs a sharp prosecutor and a savvy DA that is on top of and deeply committed to the case. Such a DA would never allow a technicality like withholding evidence from discovery to hurt their case. It's something too easy to avoid. A DA like Michael Allen would have hand delivered the evidence after walking barefoot in the freezing rain before allowing something like that to hurt Gannon Stauch's case. IMO.

Colorado has a second chance to put BM where he belongs and I hope they do what is necessary to make that happen.

Agreed

I just don’t think BM caught them. They never connected as shown by the LI messages. The chipmunk data more suggests he was chasing SM round and she ended up in the bedroom.

Although SM responded to JL that she was loading WA, I agree it unlikely they ever connected. I think BM came home and interrupted SM from ever accessing her phone or communicating with anyone ever again.

I never bought the tranquilizer gun chase but I can envision SM alone inside her closest and BM running around the house/patio wondering where she was until trying to break down the bedroom door. MOO

Although SM responded to JL that she was loading WA, I agree it unlikely they ever connected. I think BM came home and interrupted SM from ever accessing her phone or communicating with anyone ever again.

I never bought the tranquilizer gun chase but I can envision SM alone inside her closest and BM running around the house/patio wondering where she was until trying to break down the bedroom door. MOO

Yes - as usual it is the clusters of circumstantial evidence that matter

- 'chipmunk' location data
- lying to explain location data
- admitting to having gun in those moments
- truck door left open on arrival
- flurry of messages
- damage to bedroom door
- round on floor
- SM never comes back online

We can't know exactly what happened, but we can know it was a critical moment and not good.

Did you mean December 2019? I suspected the dumpster encounter happened prior to SM’s murder. I can’t say why exactly, just a feeling.

Here is an article. Says they claim meeting in Oct 2020?

Fortunately, the tranquilizing deer a week or two prior thing, was a complete lie. Bucks apparently shed from January to March, and we're talking late April here. He was explaining why it was possible that there may be some sort of tranquilizer evidence in the backyard.

He's chasing chipmunks to shoot them, which is the exact opposite of how you would hunt them.
He's tranquilizing bucks for antlers, when they don't even have them.
He's following a herd of elk in the dark (with a bull), when female elk don't even travel with males in herds that time of year.
He's looking for a the corpse of a turkey, that would have been rotten and insect infested.
He's in the backyard in the dark, looking for a bear (as one does at night).
He's speculating that a mountain lion attacked Suzanne, when there is no evidence of an attack.

Not to be mean, but if anyone believes this nonsense, you're probably supporting a Nigerian Prince.
I don't think you're being mean, but you're cracking me up and I'm laughing so hard my ribs are hurting --- you're right! :D

Okay, so he didn't tranquilize any buck a week or two prior because they didn't have antlers. I get it. But, he's a trophy hunter, he admits to doing it and we've seen pics of the antlers. In one, his truck had no room for a passenger because it was full of deer antlers.

I appreciate you coming to the rescue because the last thing that I want is to fall victim to one of BM's ridiculous stories :D

She is tough on crime though. Back in 2011, she was charged with a misdemeanor for slapping an uncooperative DUI arrestee across the face.
I wouldn’t call that tough on crime, I’d call it unprofessional. What is the trial record like for that team?

ETA are you sure this is the same person?

I feel this is the time frame he disposed of the body.
I can't fathom he'd do it in the daytime, and the airplane mode wouldn't have helped his alibi; I think he wanted his phone tracked to show he was at home. At 10:17pm, his phone exits airplane mode. At around 3:25am, that's when all the weird stuff begins (phone moving around in the driveway, and his truck recording dozens and dozens of events).

So I think he left the house just before 10:30, traveled the 45 minutes or so, spent a considerable time attempting to bury Suzanne, and then returned to the house to finish his staging (bike) and get ready to head to this big job that he spent a grand total of 11-15 minutes working on.

I have been wondering about the “airplane mode” lately. I have bad cell service where I live and when my phone can’t find service it displays a small SOS up in the left corner. I think it means I can still call 911 if available in my area but it’s different than the emergency settings for 911 the phone also has and I have to wonder what my phone data looks like during those hours and hours I don’t have cell reception. I can still access internet and internet based calling like FaceTime etc. I don’t receive voicemails until I either toggle the airplane mode off and on causing the phone to find a bar of service or wait until the phone eventually finds a signal. So is there any data that differentiates the two? I have no idea but do wonder when I think about this case as it seems that we are at a point where this idea of Barry’s phone going in and out of airplane mode is going to be important.
I think his phone would behave like that on the daily if so? and easy for investigators to establish an out of character evening of happenings on his phone or normal functioning errors.

Shame you can't erase those iclouds Bazza.......
And built in spying navs in those cool trucks you enjoy driving.
Pesky cctv at motels....
Sat towers everywhere.....

Now we got SM location I think more physical evidence (suggested like above) is going to quickly play a new round of cards for LE.

The case needs a sharp prosecutor and a savvy DA that is on top of and deeply committed to the case. Such a DA would never allow a technicality like withholding evidence from discovery to hurt their case. It's something too easy to avoid. A DA like Michael Allen would have hand delivered the evidence after walking barefoot in the freezing rain before allowing something like that to hurt Gannon Stauch's case. IMO.

Colorado has a second chance to put BM where he belongs and I hope they do what is necessary to make that happen.

Before anybody pins all their hopes and dreams on one stellar DA & prosecution team in the 12 Judicial District to be a game match for high dollar Iris Eytan, et., al, I'd say think again.

I've been camped in this District for more than three years following the 5 x murder charge of Adre "Psycho" Baroz where a special prosecutor, Fred Johnson with the Boulder County DA’s office, was brought in to assist then DA Robert Willett.

Thus far, what I can share about the 12th Judicial District is District Attorney Alonzo Payne (who beat the incumbent Robert Willett in Nov 2020), resigned on July 13, 2022, as he faced a recall election and after Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser announced an agreement between his office and the 12th Judicial District Attorney’s Office to bring in an independent monitor to ensure the DA’s Office is complying with the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act.

But by September 2022, former DA Payne agreed to be disbarred, effective October Oct. 26, according to the Colorado Supreme Court, and signed by Payne and a Colorado disciplinary judge. Payne agreed to waive the right to a hearing over his disbarment. (Once in effect, Payne was no longer allowed to practice law in Colorado).

The stipulation related to discipline tied to Payne’s disbarment, which Payne signed and agreed to, details the numerous instances in which Payne and his office failed to adhere to the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act, failed to communicate with judges, defense attorneys, and victims, dismissed cases at the last minute, and in the cases he did try, failed to get convictions.

Gov. Jared Polis appointed Anne E. Kelly to be the interim 12th Judicial District Attorney in late August 2022, and in November 2022, she beat Robert Willet for the elected position.

When former DA Robert Willett was appointed by Governor Jared Polis to be district attorney of the 12th Judicial District (replacing Crista Newmyer-Olsen, whom Polis appointed as a judge for the 12th District) in the last days of 2019, he had no way of predicting the scope of challenges he would face in the year up ahead-- COVID19.

Then, in 2022, Payne charged the former DA Robert Willett with felony embezzlement in connection with a bonus Willett paid himself after Payne beat Willett in the primary for the seat. Payne could have asked an outside law enforcement agency to investigate and a special prosecutor to oversee the investigation but did not.

Eventually, the court appointed the 5th Judicial District Attorney Heidi McCollum as special prosecutor, and the charge was dropped in exchange for Willett paying back the money, per a Colorado District Attorneys' Council spokesperson.

Willet, now a Deputy DA for the 4th Judicial District (El Paso County), on August 3, 2023, filed a $5M federal suit against Payne and others from the 12th Judicial District for malicious prosecution-- claiming the embezzlement charges in 2022 were for political purposes.

Current DA Anne Kelly has just completed one year in the case backlogged quagmire of the 12th Judicial District, and only had about 5 years of experience when she was appointed DA by the governor after Payne resigned last year.

See the links below for just a snapshot of what's gone down in the 12th District with senior attorneys at the helm. This ^^ yet Linda Stanley gets all the negative media attention!

Former 12th Judicial District Attorney Alonzo Payne disbarred -- 9/23/22

I think his phone would behave like that on the daily if so? and easy for investigators to establish an out of character evening of happenings on his phone or normal functioning errors.

Shame you can't erase those iclouds Bazza.......
And built in spying navs in those cool trucks you enjoy driving.
Pesky cctv at motels....
Sat towers everywhere.....

Now we got SM location I think more physical evidence (suggested like above) is going to quickly play a new round of cards for LE.
One huge thing was that the previous week, his phone logged between 0 and 2 events a night. On the night in question it logged 200.

MOO IMO
What really stands out to me is that BM does very little on his own. He always has people around him that either do his bidding for him or he is in constant need of companionship. It has been thay way since his youth. He has never lived alone or been on his own.

I have a brother who has recognized this trait in himself. He (my brother) has said he cannot be alone; he has to always be accompanied by someone. It’s an anxiety issue with him.

That is why I find it highly unlikely BM did this entirely on his own. He has such a need for validation that I feel his narcissism alone would require he bounce his plans off of a subordinate accomplice that agreed with him in everything; his “cheating” wife deserved whatever he had planned. That accomplice would likely be a “yes” person in BM’s life and just go with every statement made, including that BM had been wronged.

Wasn’t there a friend that BM paid $4k to from the money and it was very questionable as to what that payment was for? I thought it was said for wages lost during the search, but why not pay all the other volunteers that also put time in to searching?

When this goes to trial, I will be very surprised to find out he planned, killed and staged all this on his own.
I don't know about that - however much you may have needed company in the past, I would think that when it comes to murder, you'd prefer to be on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray@Payton