Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is OP so certain JL's daughter and family knew the identity of SM -- there are millions of Suzanne's. Again, no basis for this wishful incrimination and condemnation of a family.
Because he knew her identity and IMO so did his daughter. He deleted all SM and reading between the lines (e.g. her message to him on linked in), he cut all contact. You wouldn't do that if it was just a 'friend' and his daughter knew it. Teens are very savvy on tracking people down. JL at the very least, should have come forward, as soon as he realised it was his suzanne that was missing.

And by the way - my comments are just as valid as yours. Just because I don't agree with you,and you don't agree with me, does not mean you are right (nor does it mean I am right) and my comments 'are wishful incrimination and condemnation of a family'. I have a view on JL and IMO, I am entitled to air it.

Last edited:
I'd be more interested in what the daughter (who found out about the affair) had to say when Suzanne went missing.

I am also interested in whether JL (or any of his family) were granted immunity (e.g. perverting the course of justice).

View attachment 451857
His family are outside of our TOS afaik..

Because he knew her identity and IMO so did his daughter. He deleted all SM and reading between the lines (e.g. her message to him on linked in), he cut all contact. You wouldn't do that if it was just a 'friend' and his daughter knew it. Teens are very savvy on tracking people down. JL at the very least, should have come forward, as soon as he realised it was his suzanne that was missing.

And by the way - my comments are just as valid as yours. Just because I don't agree with you,and you don't agree with me, does not mean you are right (nor does it mean I am right) and my comments 'are wishful incrimination and condemnation of a family'. I have a view on JL and IMO, I am entitled to air it.
Not so much if you are incriminating them with a crime of withholding evidence you claim they had without proof.
That's a crime.

All the talk of the DA and prosecutors getting it right this time - Yes! They sure do need to do it right. And they need to take their time. As there may be only one take at it. No statute of limitations on murder I believe in that state?

And this for some reason reminds me (unfortunately) of how the Boulder DA office and others handled the Christmas December 25/26, 1996 death of that young child. One doesn’t need a repeat or anything like that again.

Seems we need the A team and all on their game this time.
MOO

Re DNA
Even Cahill declared it to be ' Cahill said the forensic scientist described the glovebox DNA as “limited genetic data.”.

In an otherwise lunatic podcast journalist declared the Arizona suspect had been eliminated and could not have been in Colorado on the night she was murdered

Starts at approx 26 minutes

I wouldn’t call that tough on crime, I’d call it unprofessional. What is the trial record like for that team?

ETA are you sure this is the same person?
I offered up (in links) the information I could quickly get my hands on. If I got it wrong, please let know and I will gladly stand corrected. It's my understanding that the state of the DA's office in that district was not good and once elected, she had to put together a new team.

Polis appoints new DA for San Luis Valley after victims’ rights violations, predecessor’s resignation

12th Judicial DA says office is now 'thriving,' after previous DA disbarred for violating victims' rights | KRDO

New San Luis Valley DA spars with attorney general on oversight

https://www.linkedin.com/in/anne-elizabeth-kelly-105490132/

Here is some more info on the 12 th DA Anne Kelly.
She was initially appointed DA by Polis and began work in Sept 2022. She ran for election and won in Nov of that same year. The former DA resigned and lost his license to practice law. Here is a quote from the Denver Post :

“She will replace Alonzo Payne, a reform-minded prosecutor who resigned in July amid a recall effort led by the city of Alamosa and backed by residents upset with his style of prosecution, professionalism and treatment of victims — and amid an unprecedented investigation by Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser into violations of the state’s Victim Rights Act.

A day before Payne’s resignation, Weiser announced his office found Payne and his deputies repeatedly violated crime victims’ rights since taking office in January 2021 by refusing to communicate with victims, yelling at them, skipping scheduled meetings and generally treating victims with disrespect.”

Of note, also she was able to get approval to double her office's budget and hire personnel to cut through the huge backlog of cases.

I did not come across any mention of a slapping incident which I believe would have surfaced during her appointment or her run for office . She has a very common name and I assume that is the confusion.

Here is an article where that Sheriff's Deputy named Anne Kelly was found not guilty of the incident. It states she had been on the force at that time for eight years etc - IMO she is a totally different Anne Kelly.

ALL JMO

I'm not so sure DA Kelly worked in LE in Colorado in March 2011-- I think working in LE might have been in AZ. Seems she was already practicing law when she moved to CO. JMO

While I stated I'd prefer Kelly over Stanley, it doesn't mean I think she is best for this case. IMOO, this case cries for the best prosecutor the state of Colorado has to offer. I have no clue who that would be and I believe you are far more knowledgeable than I.

"You won't be falsely convicted
This is gold!!
^ vr bbm [focus/shared elation] ^

Hope so,..

... then again, I recall thinking to myself way back then that all BM's going to offer with a G of I will be some driveling(s) about the illicit short gun, his meaningless extracurriculars, etc., etc., he being so experienced and erudite in Life and the Law. Oy.

As well, [methought], Grusing would never bite anyway, and for a host of reasons, inter alia:

- Barracks-lawyer Barry had no clue(s) wrt G's of I, how they're tailored, generally limited, et al.;

- Grusing certainly knew, and why share that?... nor explain how convoluted the process invariably proves to be... and Grusing likely sensed that, at least in some LE/prosecutorial circles, time was being considered of the essence? ;

- And besides, dialog/flow was still moving uncontrollably apace in their "mutually-trusted" tête-à-têtes,
so why reach for the Imodium...?

But then again, [again?], I'm most often of the mind that hope is not a strategery...

In toto, supra., MOO

Last edited:
If I had been JL, I probably/possibly would have told my daughter, this woman is the wife of so-and-so and therefore quite harmless as an acquaintance.

Really depends on what Suzanne's message said, IMO. And, I imagine, since text messages are in chains, by merely opening that one message, the daughter probably saw a chain of messages.

IMO.

We don't know how Michael Allen would have worked under these circumstances actually.
what evidence specifically do you believe she withheld?
Again, this is the defense narrative.
Show me the evidence
Correct me if I am wrong ... It's my understanding that the prosecution had evidence of unknown dNA that wasn't released to the defense during discovery. Even though evidence was only partial dNA, it was still questionable, so there remained an obligation to forward the evidence to the defense. That small technicality is all it takes for a defense attorney to build a mountain out of a mole hill high enough to get their client off of the hook.

You and I both agree that partial dna = evidence of nothing (I learned that from you). The prosecution lost the opportunity to explain this because they were sanctioned for not giving the info to the defense. IMO, an effective prosecutor gives the defense nothing to appeal and no technicalities.

Edit: clarification

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong ... It's my understanding that the prosecution had evidence of unknown dNA that wasn't released to the defense during discovery. Even though evidence was only partial dNA, it was still questionable, so there remained an obligation to forward the evidence to the defense. That small technicality is all it takes for a defense attorney to build a mountain out of a mole hill high enough to get their client off of the hook.

You and I both agree that partial dna = evidence of nothing (I learned that from you). The prosecution lost the opportunity to explain this because they were sanctioned for not giving the info to the defense. IMO, an effective prosecutor gives the defense nothing.

Puzzled by your last sentence. It is a rule of criminal procedure in all 50 states that the prosecutor must give the defense all of its discovery. And vice versa.

At least that's my understanding. Maybe a lawyer can weigh in.

You and I both agree that partial dna = evidence of nothing (I learned that from you). The prosecution lost the opportunity to explain this because they were sanctioned for not giving the info to the defense. IMO, an effective prosecutor gives the defense nothing.
Same defense that were already complaining of being overwhelmed at the length of the AA?
It is highly debatable whether they should have padded it with totally unnecessary and irrelevant information.
This is grasping at straws.
Her entire document is grasping at straws, weak arguments filed under no less than 12 claim groups!!!

Puzzled by your last sentence. It is a rule of criminal procedure in all 50 states that the prosecutor must give the defense all of its discovery. And vice versa.

At least that's my understanding. Maybe a lawyer can weigh in.
I went back and edited my post to help it make sense, lol! There are times when my own writing confuses me :D

can't imagine... she already requires that the entire justice system is removed from the case...

Clever move wasn't it ? Just think of the public opinion and potential people who she has swayed with her civil suit. All those opinions swirling around a potential juror pool. Not to mention the issues with future prosecutorial team and other LE related things. Crafty, crafty, crafty.

Leaves a sour taste in my mouth thinking it let alone typing it.

You know what I really can't get over - the filing of the motions of the civil case, was May 10th. It just makes me so cross with the insensitivity of it. And the cheek of it. Feels like a mockery in some way.

Jmo

Same defense that were already complaining of being overwhelmed at the length of the AA?
It is highly debatable whether they should have padded it with totally unnecessary and irrelevant information.
This is grasping at straws.
Her entire document is grasping at straws, weak arguments filed under no less than 12 claim groups!!!
Grasping at straws is all that she can and will do. The less she has the better.

Imagine her frustration about not knowing what's transpiring in the investigation right now.

I truly feel like this case has enough circumstantial evidence to convict. If I were on the jury and all of the evidence was allowed, I would vote to convict. The ticket is an amazing prosecution. I hope that experts are brought in to prosecute in whatever jurisdiction they settle on.
I don't have your confidence unfortunately. But I am very interested in how they actually build a new case and what evidence they rely on that was called into question during the first trial and anything "new" that has been discovered since including the finding Suzanne and what that might yield for evidence. The location did not help the case as we know it...hard to say what investigators know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member