Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the talk of the DA and prosecutors getting it right this time - Yes! They sure do need to do it right. And they need to take their time. As there may be only one take at it. No statute of limitations on murder I believe in that state?

And this for some reason reminds me (unfortunately) of how the Boulder DA office and others handled the Christmas December 25/26, 1996 death of that young child. One doesn’t need a repeat or anything like that again.

Seems we need the A team and all on their game this time.
MOO
There’s no statute of limitations on murder in Colorado, or any state in America. The failure in the Ramsey case was more by law enforcement than anything. That case was irreparably damaged because the Boulder police department was in over their heads.

Here, CBI’s Cahill aside, law enforcement did an incredible job. Without Jonny, we wouldn’t have Barry’s mountain of lies, which are unbelievably important. The DA threw that first trial away, but I have mixed feelings about that as we now have a body.

Now they have a chance to get this right.

I don't have your confidence unfortunately. But I am very interested in how they actually build a new case and what evidence they rely on that was called into question during the first trial and anything "new" that has been discovered since including the finding Suzanne and what that might yield for evidence. The location did not help the case as we know it...hard to say what investigators know.

Finding her body does not help the case as we know it as presented by IE>

It's fine for everyone else who understands that mobile phones and vehicle telemetry are not required factors in a murder.
A history of DV does however present strong evidence when the victim shows up dead and buried.
It's particularly strong when the victim foretold her own death.

While I stated I'd prefer Kelly over Stanley, it doesn't mean I think she is best for this case. IMOO, this case cries for the best prosecutor the state of Colorado has to offer. I have no clue who that would be and I believe you are far more knowledgeable than I.
Wonder what Dan Mays is up to.

Was really impressed with him on Kelsey Berreth's no body case. Imagine he can do more with a body.

I don't have your confidence unfortunately. But I am very interested in how they actually build a new case and what evidence they rely on that was called into question during the first trial and anything "new" that has been discovered since including the finding Suzanne and what that might yield for evidence. The location did not help the case as we know it...hard to say what investigators know.
Oh I disagree. Yes, it would be an even stronger case if Suzanne had been found near the property, but the location she was found fits beautifully within the body dump time window. It actually couldn’t fit much better, considering the drive time and how long it would have taken Barry to dig that shallow grave by hand (shovel, not Bobcat).

Last edited:
Her swimsuit was hanging up and I'm confident Suzanne did this herself. As I've said previously, I don’t know that BM knows how to operate a hanger.

I think Barry expected Suzanne to go on a bike ride. On Saturday. Which is why he texted her 'did you leave?' It is my opinion that she was in the process of dressing when all the chipmunks launched their attack on BM.

I find BM's landscaping to be fantastically uninspired and I'm finding his self to be likewise profoundly unimaginative...

IMO her attire gave him the idea. He just stole the extra 12 or so hours, but we can be certain Suzanne was never, on Saturday OR Sunday, preparing for a Sunday morning bike ride.

If there was a brown towel in the shallow grave, BM should just walk to the jail and let himself in.

I happen to think that BM made a dramatic point of boxing up Suzanne's belongings so the obvious person to identify what might be missing would never have that opportunity. We'll never know what all he threw away.

My prediction, regarding the grave: no fabric, no fibers.

JMO

While I think BM did it himself, the other case Drew N and Iris E were involved in, that of PF and his gf, KLK, makes me wonder if someone helped him to clean up. Including the clothes hanger. This is not impossible.

It's fine for everyone else who understands that mobile phones and vehicle telemetry are not required factors in a murder.
A history of DV does however present strong evidence when the victim shows up dead and buried.
Yup. Barry had the motive, means, and opportunity. All his lies about his alibi, which are not in dispute, show consciousness of guilt. You’re lucky to get one lie that proves that in a murder case, and here we have countless. Everything points to one man, and nothing points to anyone else.

Wonder what Dan Mays is up to.

Was really impressed with him on Kelsey Berreth's no body case. Imagine he can do more with a body.
Dan May was very clear about the most significant aspect of this case..

"There just isn't any evidence to present," said May, in regards to the Morphew judge ruling that 12 of 14 expert witnesses for the prosecution could not testify.

"The judge's previous orders pretty much gutted their case, took away their experts. It isn't just 12, it's who the 12 are. You're tracking his [Barry's] directions, you're tracking where he's going around the state, and now you can't present that to the jury. The DNA is taken away. The defense can present what it wants, but you're limited on what you can present for DNA."

he went on to say this and it is something I have not understood

'May admitted he was surprised about the motion to dismiss, but more so that the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office didn't file an appeal with the Colorado Supreme Court, in regards to the judge's voiding of expert witnesses.'

April 2022.

Edit to correct excerpt to the following text
May admitted he was surprised about the motion to dismiss, but more so that the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office didn't file an appeal with the Colorado Supreme Court, in regards to the judge's voiding of expert witnesses.

Last edited:
You may well be right - but it bothers me that Saguache is, apparently, a different political mix than Chaffee County (already divided, almost 50/50 by my estimation).

IE will continue to claim that BM can't get a fair trial in Chaffee County because Civil Rights Violations.

For a County with only about 6000 people, they sure do have lots of bodies found in Saguache.

County seat has a population of ~500 people. County is pretty large by square miles, to boot.

IMO.
You may well be right - but it bothers me that Saguache is, apparently, a different political mix than Chaffee County (already divided, almost 50/50 by my estimation).

IE will continue to claim that BM can't get a fair trial in Chaffee County because Civil Rights Violations.

For a County with only about 6000 people, they sure do have lots of bodies found in Saguache.

County seat has a population of ~500 people. County is pretty large by square miles, to boot.

IMO.
I like any county whose politics are 50/50. Seems fair to me. BM if charged with murder, should get a fair trial but regardless of our political persuasions, murder is murder. We like seeing murderers in jail. I hope! And I like the fact that Anne Kelly likes prosecuting domestic violence, whereas IE enjoys defending domestic violence. Jury pool seems small. But how about using both counties for the jury pool? Sounds fair. Throw in El Paso too.

While I think BM did it himself, the other case Drew N and Iris E were involved in, that of PF and his gf, KLK, makes me wonder if someone helped him to clean up. Including the clothes hanger. This is not impossible.
Only DN represented KK.

Also IE&DN are no longer partners. Only IE represents BM, or did I suppose.

But that being said what does sharing attorneys have to do with how someone committed a crime?

I'm personally of the believe BM acted entirely alone. And if someone did "help" him it wasn't knowingly.

I went back and edited my post to help it make sense, lol! There are times when my own writing confuses me :D

We have something in common, then. What Stanley should have done is what happened in the Kohberger case: just dump 50 TB or more onto the defense, let 'em sort it out.

OTOH, the prosecution appears to have a special duty to give up exculpatory evidence. But I'm not sure how that works. Does the prosecution actually have to do the defense's work for them? What's exculpatory to one set of eyes might not be so in another context. I find that part very confusing.

I really can't quite picture the prosecution labeling a big ole box "exculpatory evidence" and handing it over. Best to just give up all the discovery. Stanley should have been prepared to do that, as others have said, in a heartbeat. I suppose it's possible that she just didn't know the basics of her job - I haven't followed her fate very closely.

IMO

Only DN represented KK.

But that being said what does sharing attorneys have to do with how someone committed a crime?

I'm personally of the believe BM acted entirely alone. And if someone did "help" him it wasn't knowingly.
Yeah, if Barry had help, then his alibi would have been a hell of a lot better than it was.

Not a single person has ever come up with a plausible scenario for the multiple trash dumps at multiple locations, the clothing changes, why he lied about traveling back and forth to the wall, when he went there once and spent no more than 15 minutes there.

They haven’t explained why he was in Broomfield on Mother’s Day of all days, when he couldn’t even work. They can’t explain why he’d spend 5 hours in his hotel room, and lie about it. Most of all, they can’t explain why he’d lie to the Ritters about where he was, and who was with him.

They can’t explain any of these things because there is no innocent explanation. Barry wouldn’t have had to tell these lies if he had an accomplice.

We have something in common, then. What Stanley should have done is what happened in the Kohberger case: just dump 50 TB or more onto the defense, let 'em sort it out.

OTOH, the prosecution appears to have a special duty to give up exculpatory evidence. But I'm not sure how that works. Does the prosecution actually have to do the defense's work for them? What's exculpatory to one set of eyes might not be so in another context. I find that part very confusing.

I really can't quite picture the prosecution labeling a big ole box "exculpatory evidence" and handing it over. Best to just give up all the discovery. Stanley should have been prepared to do that, as others have said, in a heartbeat. I suppose it's possible that she just didn't know the basics of her job - I haven't followed her fate very closely.
What she should have done is as Dan May states here

'May admitted he was surprised about the motion to dismiss, but more so that the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office didn't file an appeal with the Colorado Supreme Court, in regards to the judge's voiding of expert witnesses.'

This is the bit I have difficulty with but I do not have her entire legal reasoning for not appealing these IMO egregious voiding of witnesses..

That is assuming they can actually make a case for DV. I have my doubts about how that would play out with what we know as factual and not hearsay and I have my wonders about how a jury would react given law enforcements conversations with Barry which we have never heard in their entirety.

That is assuming they can actually make a case for DV. I have my doubts about how that would play out with what we know as factual and not hearsay and I have my wonders about how a jury would react given law enforcements conversations with Barry which we have never heard in their entirety.
Sometimes people believe the dead can't speak.
or text.
or write
or discuss with a lover..

Suzanne did all of these things and she left evidence.
Are you suggesting somebody else write her texts to her friend describing her DV?

Her words are not hearsay, they are evidence.

Only DN represented KK.

Sharing attorneys has nothing to do with the crime, except for attorneys’ popularity depends on high-profile cases. And I don’t believe quoting the cases that make attorneys popular is forbidden, otherwise how would everyone know Robert Kardashian? And whoever represented KLK, it was also the law partnership that existed at the time; it is in history.

However, human brain works on analogies. Instantly remembering the case where a woman in love sacrificed everything she had to clean after the murder, and dispose of the phone, and even watched disposal of the body, reminds me that such women exist. Knowing that SM included cheating in her list of grievances against BM makes me wonder if he could persuade someone else in love help him clean the house?

Before anybody pins all their hopes and dreams on one stellar DA & prosecution team in the 12 Judicial District to be a game match for high dollar Iris Eytan, et., al, I'd say think again.

I've been camped in this District for more than three years following the 5 x murder charge of Adre "Psycho" Baroz where a special prosecutor, Fred Johnson with the Boulder County DA’s office, was brought in to assist then DA Robert Willett.

Thus far, what I can share about the 12th Judicial District is District Attorney Alonzo Payne (who beat the incumbent Robert Willett in Nov 2020), resigned on July 13, 2022, as he faced a recall election and after Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser announced an agreement between his office and the 12th Judicial District Attorney’s Office to bring in an independent monitor to ensure the DA’s Office is complying with the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act.

But by September 2022, former DA Payne agreed to be disbarred, effective October Oct. 26, according to the Colorado Supreme Court, and signed by Payne and a Colorado disciplinary judge. Payne agreed to waive the right to a hearing over his disbarment. (Once in effect, Payne was no longer allowed to practice law in Colorado).

The stipulation related to discipline tied to Payne’s disbarment, which Payne signed and agreed to, details the numerous instances in which Payne and his office failed to adhere to the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act, failed to communicate with judges, defense attorneys, and victims, dismissed cases at the last minute, and in the cases he did try, failed to get convictions.

Gov. Jared Polis appointed Anne E. Kelly to be the interim 12th Judicial District Attorney in late August 2022, and in November 2022, she beat Robert Willet for the elected position.

When former DA Robert Willett was appointed by Governor Jared Polis to be district attorney of the 12th Judicial District (replacing Crista Newmyer-Olsen, whom Polis appointed as a judge for the 12th District) in the last days of 2019, he had no way of predicting the scope of challenges he would face in the year up ahead-- COVID19.

Then, in 2022, Payne charged the former DA Robert Willett with felony embezzlement in connection with a bonus Willett paid himself after Payne beat Willett in the primary for the seat. Payne could have asked an outside law enforcement agency to investigate and a special prosecutor to oversee the investigation but did not.

Eventually, the court appointed the 5th Judicial District Attorney Heidi McCollum as special prosecutor, and the charge was dropped in exchange for Willett paying back the money, per a Colorado District Attorneys' Council spokesperson.

Willet, now a Deputy DA for the 4th Judicial District (El Paso County), on August 3, 2023, filed a $5M federal suit against Payne and others from the 12th Judicial District for malicious prosecution-- claiming the embezzlement charges in 2022 were for political purposes.

Current DA Anne Kelly has just completed one year in the case backlogged quagmire of the 12th Judicial District, and only had about 5 years of experience when she was appointed DA by the governor after Payne resigned last year.

See the links below for just a snapshot of what's gone down in the 12th District with senior attorneys at the helm. This ^^ yet Linda Stanley gets all the negative media attention!

Former 12th Judicial District Attorney Alonzo Payne disbarred -- 9/23/22

Thank you. It all plays in doesn’t it?
Guess what matters is who is friends with IE?-
And not, who wants justice for Suzanne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics