Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes people believe the dead can't speak.
or text.
or write
or discuss with a lover..

Suzanne did all of these things and she left evidence.
Are you suggesting somebody else write her texts to her friend describing her DV?

Her words are not hearsay, they are evidence.
Domestic violence aside, we know for a fact that Barry was psychologically abusive, which I find to be much more damning and ominous. He attempted to regain control by threatening suicide on more than one occasion. We know this from Suzanne’s texts, what she told her friend, from the text messages Barry sent, and from Barry’s own admissions.

So anyone who says “there’s no evidence of Barry being abusive,” is ignorant of the facts, downplaying something that is evil, or attempting to gaslight.

Barry Morphew was abusive, this is unequivocal.

That is assuming they can actually make a case for DV. I have my doubts about how that would play out with what we know as factual and not hearsay and I have my wonders about how a jury would react given law enforcements conversations with Barry which we have never heard in their entirety.
Curious about the factual information you are referring to, as it relates to DV. Barry admitted to clipping her nose.

Oliver told investigators that Suzanne Morphew confided to her that her husband hit her in the nose, causing it to bleed. During interviews with investigators, Barry Morphew, 54, said he only clipped her nose and that he said he was sorry.

Some of the comments about possible domestic violence were made verbally, according to prosecutors and Oliver. Prosecutors said these conversations occurred after the couple moved to Colorado in 2018, but they couldn't give exact dates of when the alleged abuse happened, which was partly why Lama ruled that they would be inadmissible.

Thank you. It all plays in doesn’t it?
Guess what matters is who is friends with IE?-
And not, who wants justice for Suzanne?
That's the problem, especially when they start emerging from the woodwork of the long retired and with nothing to offer to back their feeble words..
Pathethic.

While I think BM did it himself, the other case Drew N and Iris E were involved in, that of PF and his gf, KLK, makes me wonder if someone helped him to clean up. Including the clothes hanger. This is not impossible.
If BM had a special friend who came in to clean house, special friend isn't a very good cleaner. Missed the bullet, missed the bike shorts, missed the brown smears, missed the dryer sheath. He should probably fire her.

IIRC one of IE's early complaints is that the Prosecution didn't turn over their enhanced version of a spy pen recording. So.... there was audio that was hard to hear. I wonder if they recovered additional audio that, even enhanced, remained inaudible.

I wonder if her spy pen was off, just before 3pm at PP on the Saturday of MDW. Or uncharged. If only it would've picked up some, all, any of what occurred during those frantic minutes.

As it stands, we can only piece it together based on the admissions and the deflections, the maneuvers and counter-maneuvers of the accused.

Outrageous tales of deer with sawn off antlers, week-old dead turkeys, 85 chipmunks, elk herds, bears, mountain lions -- none of it even remotely believable. And not a single credible action ascribed to Suzanne...

Storytelling is over. For once, Suzanne should get the last word.

The truth.

JMO

We have something in common, then. What Stanley should have done is what happened in the Kohberger case: just dump 50 TB or more onto the defense, let 'em sort it out.
bbm

You got it! And let Barry's money pay them to sort it all out $$

How that judge got away with his ruling is something I will never understand. Sanctions is one thing, but denying justice to a murder victim is another. SMH.

With the location of Suzanne's body and new charges, can that evidence and those experts be used? Can they use the same evidence but get new experts? This is new territory to me.

Before anybody pins all their hopes and dreams on one stellar DA & prosecution team in the 12 Judicial District to be a game match for high dollar Iris Eytan, et., al, I'd say think again.

I've been camped in this District for more than three years following the 5 x murder charge of Adre "Psycho" Baroz where a special prosecutor, Fred Johnson with the Boulder County DA’s office, was brought in to assist then DA Robert Willett.

Thus far, what I can share about the 12th Judicial District is District Attorney Alonzo Payne (who beat the incumbent Robert Willett in Nov 2020), resigned on July 13, 2022, as he faced a recall election and after Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser announced an agreement between his office and the 12th Judicial District Attorney’s Office to bring in an independent monitor to ensure the DA’s Office is complying with the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act.

But by September 2022, former DA Payne agreed to be disbarred, effective October Oct. 26, according to the Colorado Supreme Court, and signed by Payne and a Colorado disciplinary judge. Payne agreed to waive the right to a hearing over his disbarment. (Once in effect, Payne was no longer allowed to practice law in Colorado).

The stipulation related to discipline tied to Payne’s disbarment, which Payne signed and agreed to, details the numerous instances in which Payne and his office failed to adhere to the Colorado Crime Victim Rights Act, failed to communicate with judges, defense attorneys, and victims, dismissed cases at the last minute, and in the cases he did try, failed to get convictions.

Gov. Jared Polis appointed Anne E. Kelly to be the interim 12th Judicial District Attorney in late August 2022, and in November 2022, she beat Robert Willet for the elected position.

When former DA Robert Willett was appointed by Governor Jared Polis to be district attorney of the 12th Judicial District (replacing Crista Newmyer-Olsen, whom Polis appointed as a judge for the 12th District) in the last days of 2019, he had no way of predicting the scope of challenges he would face in the year up ahead-- COVID19.

Then, in 2022, Payne charged the former DA Robert Willett with felony embezzlement in connection with a bonus Willett paid himself after Payne beat Willett in the primary for the seat. Payne could have asked an outside law enforcement agency to investigate and a special prosecutor to oversee the investigation but did not.

Eventually, the court appointed the 5th Judicial District Attorney Heidi McCollum as special prosecutor, and the charge was dropped in exchange for Willett paying back the money, per a Colorado District Attorneys' Council spokesperson.

Willet, now a Deputy DA for the 4th Judicial District (El Paso County), on August 3, 2023, filed a $5M federal suit against Payne and others from the 12th Judicial District for malicious prosecution-- claiming the embezzlement charges in 2022 were for political purposes.

Current DA Anne Kelly has just completed one year in the case backlogged quagmire of the 12th Judicial District, and only had about 5 years of experience when she was appointed DA by the governor after Payne resigned last year.

See the links below for just a snapshot of what's gone down in the 12th District with senior attorneys at the helm. This ^^ yet Linda Stanley gets all the negative media attention!

Former 12th Judicial District Attorney Alonzo Payne disbarred -- 9/23/22

Ohhhh boy! Thanks for the eye opener @Seattle1 . They do have their issues. Personally, I just couldn’t lay the blame of the failure of the first trial at LS’s feet. I feel Judge Lama was much more to blame for what happened. IMHO.

I will hope and pray that the two districts can work together for a successful prosecution of BM. If they fail, it’s not for lack of evidence and hard work already done by LE. If they fail, I may lose my mind!!

Ohhhh boy! Thanks for the eye opener @Seattle1 . They do have their issues. Personally, I just couldn’t lay the blame of the failure of the first trial at LS’s feet. I feel Judge Lama was much more to blame for what happened. IMHO.

I will hope and pray that the two districts can work together for a successful prosecution of BM. If they fail, it’s not for lack of evidence and hard work already done by LE. If they fail, I may lose my mind!!
Lama

Lama

Yes, his health issues ( having to stand instead of sit at times during Court hearings ) stemmed ironically from a mountain bike injury in 2013.

122483CD-4E73-4195-AD75-DB695B3EFDDF.jpeg

Chaffee County Search and Rescue South rescued Ramsey Lama, Salida, from the Monarch Crest Trail on Monarch Pass Saturday after he fell while mountain biking.

Dana Porter of Search and Rescue South reported Lama was adjusting a shock on his bike when he struck a rock, causing him to fall. He suffered an unstable neck injury in the fall near the Greens Creek Trail intersection.

[…]

Dan May was very clear about the most significant aspect of this case..

"There just isn't any evidence to present," said May, in regards to the Morphew judge ruling that 12 of 14 expert witnesses for the prosecution could not testify.

"The judge's previous orders pretty much gutted their case, took away their experts. It isn't just 12, it's who the 12 are. You're tracking his [Barry's] directions, you're tracking where he's going around the state, and now you can't present that to the jury. The DNA is taken away. The defense can present what it wants, but you're limited on what you can present for DNA."

he went on to say this and it is something I have not understood

'May admitted he was surprised about the motion to dismiss, but more so that the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office didn't file an appeal with the Colorado Supreme Court, in regards to the judge's voiding of expert witnesses.'

April 2022.

Edit to correct excerpt to the following text
May admitted he was surprised about the motion to dismiss, but more so that the 11th Judicial District Attorney's Office didn't file an appeal with the Colorado Supreme Court, in regards to the judge's voiding of expert witnesses.
To me it's pretty clear. The prosecution's case was not ready to go to trial. They missed multiple deadlines to produce the expert reports, even after being warned the final time that they wouldn't get another extension. That's not a sign of a team that was organized and on top of everything in the run up to trial.

They absolutely could have appealed the judge's sanctions and might very well have gotten them reduced, but they chose instead to voluntarily dismiss the case. Probably because they knew that even if they won the appeal, they weren't prepared to go to trial and it was going to be a disaster.

Wonder what Dan Mays is up to.

Was really impressed with him on Kelsey Berreth's no body case. Imagine he can do more with a body.
Strange you bring this up. I was just driving home this afternoon thinking about our (Canadian) Thanksgiving and it took me back to Kelsey. It still makes me want to cry :*( Another sweet woman taken from this world.

I agree we need someone like Dan May. Someone needs to clone that man. ❤️

To me it's pretty clear. The prosecution's case was not ready to go to trial. They missed multiple deadlines to produce the expert reports, even after being warned the final time that they wouldn't get another extension. That's not a sign of a team that was organized and on top of everything in the run up to trial.

They absolutely could have appealed the judge's sanctions and might very well have gotten them reduced, but they chose instead to voluntarily dismiss the case. Probably because they knew that even if they won the appeal, they weren't prepared to go to trial and it was going to be a disaster.
Can you kindly specify where you believe their 'unreadiness' is evidenced?

Can you kindly specify where you believe their 'unreadiness' is evidenced?
Missing multiple deadlines for submitting expert reports despite being warned they would get no more extensions? The expert testimony was essential to their case. I can see missing one deadline just because there's a lot going on. But when you get an extension, the judge warns you that there won't be another and you know those experts are essential to your case, then you don't miss the 2nd deadline. No judge is ever going to react well to an explicit 'last chance' deadline being missed. To me that's evidence of the team being in disarray in the run-up to the trial. And that's further supported by their choice to not appeal the sanctions on the expert testimony.

Lama

Thanks for posting this kittythehare. I’m sorry he‘s suffering from health issues, sincerely, but I’m not sorry he’s resigning. I just hope he’s being replaced by someone that won’t indulge in “over the top” sanctions that can decimate a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty