Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would expect that Mr. Morphew was well acquainted with the Moffat burial area. Some of the best hunting units in Colorado are on the west side of the San Luis Valley.

The map below shows game management units (GMUs) around Salida. Units 66, 67 and 68 west of Saguache are some of the most hunted in southwest Colorado with unlimited tags sold in each area. GMUs 681, 682 and 82 are decent for pronghorn, deer and/or elk with easy access.
View attachment 458780
But aside from any potential hunting interest, these areas would be locations where an avid antler collector like Mr. Morphew might seek “sheds”. You may recall his interest in these sheds was so great that he detoured west from his intended route to Broomfield on Mother’s Day (at 4:30AM no less!) after spotting a bull elk (in the dark no less!) so he could later find its shed antlers (page 107 of the Arrest Affidavit). Mr. Morphew’s was further demonstrated by the fact that he couldn’t just wait for the deer around his house to shed, he had to tranquilize them, and cut the antlers off himself (page 86 of the Arrest Affidavit).

I’m assuming Mr. Morphew’s interest in these bony processes growing from the skulls of deer and elk, in addition to their obvious attraction for home décor, is that they sell for $8 to $16 per pound. In any event, this Morphew profit center is a possible explanation for his familiarity with the San Luis Valley and the Moffat burial area.
Rbbm

Antler lust.

And wasn't that, coincidentally, the name and intent of the Valentine's getaway with SD?... where they swapped bible verses....or somesuch.

JMO

IMO - it's wild. The full complaint is included in the article.

Former judge in Morphew case accuses district attorney of investigation into his family as retribution for rulings

"Some YouTuber in a bulletproof vest appeared on video essentially threatening me, doxing me and my family, asking me to get off the case or more was coming. Something to that effect," Lama said. "It was disturbing. It was a 22-minute video of a rant because he didn’t like my rulings in the Barry Morphew case."

Lama said the video was full of unfounded conspiracy theories, including a claim that he abused his ex-wife.

"Totally crazy. I never abused my ex-wife. Just baseless," Lama said. "And he’s in a bulletproof vest, looking at the camera, saying you better get off or more is coming."

Court filings suggest Stanley saw that video, too.
If that is where she got that 'clue' that JL was beating his wife then LS is truly clueless. SMH

Rbbm

Antler lust.

And wasn't that, coincidentally, the name and intent of the Valentine's getaway with SD?... where they swapped bible verses....or somesuch.

JMO
Indeed, per the Arrest Affidavit, Mr. Morphew and his prayer partner arose on Valentine’s Day 2021 at the Antlers Hotel in Colorado City.

Given the numerous choices of lodging in the area it may be more than coincidence that he chose the Antlers. A little background on this hotel provides some context:

William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado City (in 1871) and a Civil War hero, built the Antlers in 1883 and it housed his large collection of deer and elk trophies (which reportedly was the envy of many). It’s now in its third or fourth incarnation, but no longer offers antler envy among its attractions.

Nonetheless, I would suggest, as you do, that antler lust may very well be related to both the location and the intent of their getaway, particularly given Mr. Morphew’s demonstrated enthrallment with horny mammals.

I found it soooooo disgusting when he proudly admitted how he would often shoot tranquilliser darts into deer and elk, just to cut off their antlers, and leave them laying unconscious until they can wake up and scamper off. They no longer have the defense weapons which they need in the wild.

There is no freakin excuse for that behaviour. It is sick.

Sounds like another state where the good ole' boys win, regardless of evidence.
Suzanne was ‘miraculously’ found imo and those involved previously in getting justice for her without a body are not experienced enough imo to defeat the SpinMaster defending BM even with her remains. I’m going to be optimistic and believe that the right people - both judge and DA - will be put in place to finally get justice for Suzanne. I’ve followed this case since Day 1, and thought BM was guilty after first interview, and after reading everything I could over past 3 years about it, I think someone would have to be deaf, dumb and blind to think he was innocent even with IE’s continuous nonsensical ranting and raving. Her compulsive rants are a very clear sign of a disorder both her and BM possess.

MOO - I would like to know if BM’s phone was ever checked to see if it has ever before shown similar movement patterns to the ones when he explains that he was shooting chipmunks as he says ‘I just walk around & shoot em. Just keep going around the house. Every time I go round the house, I’ll see another & I’ll shoot it. I’ve done that ever since we’ve moved in.’ That tells me there would be many similar movement patterns on his phone to prove just that, if it was true. Which I absolutely do not believe, but it is something that could be easily proven/disproven.
I agree and IF the DA who prosecutes this case would hire someone to go through Websleuths and read all the analytics, suggestions and ways that prove (imo) BM murdered Suzanne, it would be money and time well spent. There are a lot of brilliant minds combined on this site that have asked and answered almost every question if not all of them.

I agree and IF the DA who prosecutes this case would hire someone to go through Websleuths and read all the analytics, suggestions and ways that prove (imo) BM murdered Suzanne, it would be money and time well spent. There are a lot of brilliant minds combined on this site that have asked and answered almost every question if not all of them.

Hey - I was thinking exactly the same thing! :) Posters here have very good ideas!

Rbbm

Antler lust.

JMO
I admire your memory Megs!

CBI agents were able to confirm that Morphew and Darke checked into the Antler's Hotel in Colorado Springs on Feb. 12, 2021 and checked out on Valentine's Day. In surveillance footage, Barry Morphew is seen carrying Darke's luggage while Darke carried flowers, according to the affidavit.

Shoshona Darke and Barry Morphew at Antler's Hotel_Feb 2021

I admire your memory Megs!

CBI agents were able to confirm that Morphew and Darke checked into the Antler's Hotel in Colorado Springs on Feb. 12, 2021 and checked out on Valentine's Day. In surveillance footage, Barry Morphew is seen carrying Darke's luggage while Darke carried flowers, according to the affidavit.

Shoshona Darke and Barry Morphew at Antler's Hotel_Feb 2021's Hotel_Feb 2021

Antler's Hotel, 2021. I guess Barry didn't really expect Suzanne to walk back into their lives....

Valentine's Day 2020 -- was that the year Suzanne met up with JL? Did Barry try to break up that party? Satisfied because Suzanne performed her wifely lovingness?

I just wonder if Barry had other occasions -- like Valentine's Days -- in months and years prior, where he brought Bible buddies who may or may not, from certain distances and aided by wigs, have looked enough like Suzanne 1.0 to keep eyebrows from arching.

JMO

Indeed, per the Arrest Affidavit, Mr. Morphew and his prayer partner arose on Valentine’s Day 2021 at the Antlers Hotel in Colorado City.

Given the numerous choices of lodging in the area it may be more than coincidence that he chose the Antlers. A little background on this hotel provides some context:

William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado City (in 1871) and a Civil War hero, built the Antlers in 1883 and it housed his large collection of deer and elk trophies (which reportedly was the envy of many). It’s now in its third or fourth incarnation, but no longer offers antler envy among its attractions.

Nonetheless, I would suggest, as you do, that antler lust may very well be related to both the location and the intent of their getaway, particularly given Mr. Morphew’s demonstrated enthrallment with horny mammals.
About 20 years ago my husband and I attended his company Christmas party there. It was known as the Antlers Hilton then and I remember it being quite elegant.

Luckily, I don’t remember seeing a ton of animal heads or antlers. The huge lobby and bar did remind me of the hotel in the movie The Shining though. JMO

Antler's Hotel, 2021. I guess Barry didn't really expect Suzanne to walk back into their lives....

Valentine's Day 2020 -- was that the year Suzanne met up with JL? Did Barry try to break up that party? Satisfied because Suzanne performed her wifely lovingness?

I just wonder if Barry had other occasions -- like Valentine's Days -- in months and years prior, where he brought Bible buddies who may or may not, from certain distances and aided by wigs, have looked enough like Suzanne 1.0 to keep eyebrows from arching.

JMO
I doubt it. It's entirely possible he did cheat on Suzanne in Indiana but I also think if he had cheated on her in Colorado it would have surfaced in tips or otherwise and LE would have known. They stated in court documents that they did not find anyone and for now I have to believe that. It feels to me they would not have stated that unless they were pretty certain of their investigation. If he was cheating it doesn't really add anything to the case at this point unless the "other person" comes forward and says they have first hand knowledge of the murder. The marriage was virtually over from what we know and pretty irrefutable.

JMO
Yes so true about the wig. Shoshonna was wearing a wig at the Antler hotel while with BM that Valentines Day. We were told that in the prelim. Suzanne had been missing since the May prior. Why the wig if nothing to hide. No pics of SM in a wig I have seen absent the one with BM at the Antler Hotel. Agree @Megnut that perhaps this was not the first time a wig was used by someone with Barry. Tried and true - but not this time. So many times Suzanne mentioned BM would disappear for days - and she had no idea where he went. Somebody knows. If only the wig could talk.
Actually maybe there is others dna on that hair ornament ! Or could it possibly have been one of SM’s she used during her chemo? Maybe SD still has it?
JMO

Judge Llama has been out there on the interview circuit since all this hubbub re LS has hit the press. I believe the "unhinged" description used by the OP was Llama's description of the person putting forth the suggestion that Llama himself was involved in DV while married . Evidently as per msm LE decided the accusations were not credible so chose not to investigate. Linda disagreed and chose to investigate.

It has not been mentioned who this you tuber is in msm that I have seen - although I suspect many of us know.
I don't have a problem with Linda looking into DV allegations. We all know cases where DV was not taken seriously by LE.

What I continue to find fascinating is the fact that Llama is putting himself out there on the interview circuit -( almost like a PR move when you want to get ahead of something).
The prudent thing to do would have been to sit back and let the process unfold. Why was he using those terms "unhinged" etc to describe the you tubber ? Seems to me he was looking to discredit him.Why discredit the person if their claims have no basis. Even if you find the person unhinged that's really not the point and I guess could be considered defammation of the you tubber.

Pretty much a good example of Llama once again not using good judgement. And maybe even trying to "showboat"
now that he is in private practice. Maybe he wants to curry favor with Eytan.

Fortunately while all these distractions are occuring Suzanne's autopsy is being handled and the case continues to be investigated.

This stuff is all just an interesting albeit dysfunctional and a sad side show

JMO
Judge Llama doeth protest too, too much, I think. My thoughts? Sour grapes. I don’t for one minute think that he hasn’t read public criticism of HIS actions concerning this case. Doesn’t care for that blame landing on his lap, but on his lap it belongs. He deserves some of the blame with his over-the-top sanctioning of expert witnesses, but now he’s “on the circuit” trying to deflect all the blame onto LS. And yes, LS could have done better. However, as a Judge, he should have done better, much better! JMHO

Judge Llama doeth protest too, too much, I think. My thoughts? Sour grapes. I don’t for one minute think that he hasn’t read public criticism of HIS actions concerning this case. Doesn’t care for that blame landing on his lap, but on his lap it belongs. He deserves some of the blame with his over-the-top sanctioning of expert witnesses, but now he’s “on the circuit” trying to deflect all the blame onto LS. And yes, LS could have done better. However, as a Judge, he should have done better, much better! JMHO
I think if they had left his ex-wife alone nothing would have come of it. I think the line got crossed when he learned they had a DA investigator who had gone to talk to his ex-wife. If that's "doth protest too much I'm A OK with it. LS had a perfectly ethical and customary route to follow in appealing his decisions. She chose to renegade the customary and ethical with the hiring of an investigator because she didn't "like" his determinations...you reap what you sow.

I doubt it. It's entirely possible he did cheat on Suzanne in Indiana but I also think if he had cheated on her in Colorado it would have surfaced in tips or otherwise and LE would have known. They stated in court documents that they did not find anyone and for now I have to believe that. It feels to me they would not have stated that unless they were pretty certain of their investigation. If he was cheating it doesn't really add anything to the case at this point unless the "other person" comes forward and says they have first hand knowledge of the murder. The marriage was virtually over from what we know and pretty irrefutable.
^^bbm
Again, the AA makes several references to tips they received that BM and SD were having an intimate relationship but if both BM and SD deny it, there is nothing authorities can say to make it true, not withstanding an authenticated, date stamp pre 5/10/2020 video of the couple cavorting. However, the FBI does have evidence beginning July 2020 via the poll camera installed outside SD's residence of BM arriving in the evening and not leaving until the next morning.

I think if they had left his ex-wife alone nothing would have come of it. I think the line got crossed when he learned they had a DA investigator who had gone to talk to his ex-wife. If that's "doth protest too much I'm A OK with it. LS had a perfectly ethical and customary route to follow in appealing his decisions. She chose to renegade the customary and ethical with the hiring of an investigator because she didn't "like" his determinations...you reap what you sow.

Please.... It's very much a possibility that his former spouse was the victim of DV and is afraid to speak about it for the same reasons that Fremont County LE may have shied away from investigating the sitting Judge in the small town!

We don't sleuth non POIs (or victims) here but I think it's safe to say that where there's smoke there's fire. We don't know what friends and/or associates may have revealed to the investigator that prompted the visit to the victim. One doesn't need to be an expert in DV to understand why or count the reason victims don't come forward.

I agree that although Lama no longer on the bench, I too think it odd for Lama to be jumping on the news circuit, except to pile on LS, of course.

I recall a Grand jury was convened in the 11th Judicial District not long ago -- let's wait and see. MOO

MOO based on the PH it was pretty obvious LS would lose at trial.

MOO based on the PH it was pretty obvious LS would lose at trial.
I appreciate your opinion, but I’m not convinced a jury would not have seen through BM’s multitudinous and ridiculous lies and IE’s obfuscation of truth and voluminous hot air. Judge Llama failed not just in his over sanctioning but also in not taking the time to understand the partial DNA which amounts to absolutely nothing. Just a red herring hurled about the courtroom by IE. Instead, he chooses to sanction the DNA expert and remain ignorant of the truth. I wonder if he’s any wiser now??

It’s just my humble opinion as we say, but I believe with a better Judge, this could have ended differently.

In 2013, Lama was in a serious mountain bike accident and when he resigned from the bench, he cited health reasons.

When Lama was presiding over the SM murder case, he also revealed in court that he could not sit comfortably for extended periods and wanted the parties to be aware why he needed to stand, stretch, etc. We also know that since the accident, Lama and his wife divorced.

There a many forums devoted to supporting victims of biking accidents that generally seem to evolve around a common issue. JMO

• Sep 26, 2013 Updated May 29, 2023
A fundraiser today featuring live music and a silent auction at Benson’s Tavern & Beer Garden will benefit Ramsey Lama, Salida, and his family.

Lama is recovering from a mountain biking accident in which he suffered a broken C2 vertebra and damaged the carotid artery in his neck.

[..]

Lama was injured during a fall while mountain biking on the Monarch Crest Trail near the Greens Creek Trail intersection Aug. 24. He was rescued after Blocker phoned for help from Chaffee County Search and Rescue.

Lama was airlifted from the Monarch Crest Trail on Monarch Pass to St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood.

Lama will be in a neck brace for the next 3 months and will undergo treatment on his damaged artery for at least 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679