Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On cross-examination, Jensen sought to show Stanley properly supported Lindsey and that his workload was not without precedent. Lindsey acknowledged that Stanley at times met weekly to discuss the Morphew case, and that before the preliminary hearing, she arranged for Lindsey to take a week away from his other work to focus on the case.

He also agreed that she sought a significant budget increase for the district attorney’s office that was denied by the judicial district’s county commissioners.

Edit link State lawyer calls Barry Morphew prosecution a “debacle” as disciplinary hearing starts for district attorney

Stanley struggled to hire prosecutors to work in her sprawling district, especially after protests over the killing of George Floyd in 2020 discouraged people from working in law enforcement, Jensen said. Stanley had never prosecuted a homicide case herself, he said, but hired an experienced prosecutor, Jeff Lindsey, who said he was forced to leave his job at a much larger district that includes Colorado Springs after the newly elected district attorney wanted to bring in new prosecutors.
Jensen said that Stanley had a right to investigate a possible conflict of interest by Judge Ramsey Lama because he had been “incredibly biased” against the prosecution.

To be clear (and also transparent), "protect ethical prosecutors.org" or PEP is the non-profit founded and organized by non other than IE.

IE was gunning to take down a DA long before the name BM passed her lips. Her attempt at legislation to enact and pass a similar law in Colorado against prosecutors/civil servants to that banning qualified immunity against LE failed the first time but by 2024, she certainly picked up the desired momentum and media attention. MOO

IE may be considered "radical" by some but I personally 100% believe that our system, based on a set of ethical principles by which all people must abide, ensures a justice system that is fair, equitable honorable, and just. I have zero tolerance for anyone involved in the justice system from citizens on the streets, to law enforcement, to the highest of courts who is unethical. The first Barry Morphew attempt to bring to trial is not the only case in this country under scrutiny and it's not limited to Colorado although it could qualify as a poster child I suppose and oddly enough seems to touch all four aforementioned groups positively and negatively: citizens, law enforcement, lawyers and judges.

To be clear (and also transparent), "protect ethical prosecutors.org" or PEP is the non-profit founded and organized by non other than IE.

IE was gunning to take down a DA long before the name BM passed her lips. Her attempt at legislation to enact and pass a similar law in Colorado against prosecutors/civil servants to that banning qualified immunity against LE failed the first time but by 2024, she certainly picked up the desired momentum and media attention. MOO

Wow, that is interesting. And borrowing a line from the recent Rex Heuermann LISK case in NY…… that almost appears to be a scenario of ‘buttering both sides of the bread’.

As others have repeatedly voiced in this thread, just hope that the investigators, investigation, and new prosecuting team pull this together in a good manner. And will be interesting to see when portions of the medical examiner’s/ autopsy report are released. Justice is needed for SM. MOO

Jonathan Blasewitz sounds like a mouthpiece for IE. We all know exactly why the BM's case was dismissed and I'm not interested in hearing yet more biased, political, rhetoric. So tiring. Let the facts speak.

It certainly lends support to the idea that the case collapsed primarily due to bureaucratic failure rather than the kinds of conspiracies IE pushes in her civil suit.

The witnesses are not saying they lacked evidence, but rather resources and leadership.

It certainly lends support to the idea that the case collapsed primarily due to bureaucratic failure rather than the kinds of conspiracies IE pushes in her civil suit.

The witnesses are not saying they lacked evidence, but rather resources and leadership.
My guess is they are all smart enough not to say anything that would jeopardize a future prosecution so I doubt we'll hear much outside the "party lines".

My guess is they are all smart enough not to say anything that would jeopardize a future prosecution so I doubt we'll hear much outside the "party lines".

I disagree. I listened to grusing testify again, and he presented the essence of the prosecution case which we now know is correct. There was no bike ride abduction. Barry was caught in his own lies staging it, but we now know how and where she was murdered. At home with the tranqs.

I personally think IE goofed when she got the charges dismissed without prejudice, and she realised that at the time. She missed the chance to run a no body case against a bureaucratically weak prosecution.

Now she is up against a body case, with an all new team, and they have the smoking gun evidence.

I disagree. I listened to grusing testify again, and he presented the essence of the prosecution case which we now know is correct. There was no bike ride abduction. Barry was caught in his own lies staging it, but we now know how and where she was murdered. At home with the tranqs.

I personally think IE goofed when she got the charges dismissed without prejudice, and she realised that at the time. She missed the chance to run a no body case against a bureaucratically weak prosecution.

Now she is up against a body case, with an all new team, and they have the smoking gun evidence.
I think that phrase is the perfect description: “a bureaucratically weak prosecution.” Definitely stealing that one.

A bureaucratically cash starved prosecution is fairer methinks.

In smaller cases, the state can have a big advantage in terms of resources.

But with well heeled, privately funded defendants, when it comes to trial, the defence can have the upper hand in terms of ability to bury the prosecution in work. I think we saw that here where the state only reacted with their detailed motion to reconsider sanctions when it was already too late. Had they filed all that information in the first place, they might not have been sanctioned, or better yet, just filed the expert bios on time instead of 24 hours late.

As we now know, the local Judges held reservations about Stanley in multiple cases not just this one - so it was really important for them to keep up with the play - but instead they opened the door with silly mistakes.

MY wild speculation is the Judge bought into IE"s narrative that the state was concealing bigger problems with their case, but we now know that wasn't it.

MOO

A bureaucratically cash starved prosecution is fairer methinks.
Perhaps.... but and it's a big but, prosecution had control from the beginning. The clock started ticking with an arrest. Prosecution alone had control over that. I don't have much sympathy for them...maybe a little for the some of the people who got sucked in but that's about it. Theoretically they were all professionals. They did not have their ducks in a row from the get go. I do not think the 12th will make that mistake again.

This is indeed super weird, because we know those reports were all completed for the prelim. How do you not file those weeks or months before hand?

IE even exhibited parts of the BERLA (telematics) at the prelim. Those were the 3 critical experts and of course IE already knew who they all were.
Because no one was taking the lead - no one was managing the team. They weren't communicating. They weren't planning. They arrested him to great fanfare then everyone started flying by the seat of their pants because they weren't ready. They weren't organized. That's my guess.

Perhaps.... but and it's a big but, prosecution had control from the beginning. The clock started ticking with an arrest. Prosecution alone had control over that. I don't have much sympathy for them...maybe a little for the some of the people who got sucked in but that's about it. Theoretically they were all professionals. They did not have their ducks in a row from the get go. I do not think the 12th will make that mistake again.
I agree. The timing was all off and as I said at the time, LS had B arrested to boost her ego/elected position. I’ve worked for local government, we were under resourced, but we made sure that those resources were used wisely. Being under funded never resulted in failures of this magnitude.

Had she waited to get all her ducks in a row (including adequate resource and support for her team), there may have been a better outcome.

DV was a sentence enhancer. Will be interesting to see if it is a major piece of a potential second prosecution. If they have more first hand knowledge of abuse I think it might, but without that I don't know. Some of what can get into trial that isn't first hand is discretionary by the judge and if I recall there wasn't much that would generally be considered admissible.

DV was a sentence enhancer. Will be interesting to see if it is a major piece of a potential second prosecution. If they have more first hand knowledge of abuse I think it might, but without that I don't know. Some of what can get into trial that isn't first hand is discretionary by the judge and if I recall there wasn't much that would generally be considered admissible.

Did OP forget that BM admitted to physically assaulting his wife? And DV isn't limited to physical abuse. It also includes any other crime against a person, or against property, including an animal, when used as a method of coercion, control, punishment, intimidation, or revenge directed against a person with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship.

Neglecting the obvious was all on Ramsey lama. To be clear, following the Prelim Hearing, Judge Murphy did not fail to note this case included the finding of probable cause for DV when issuing multiple against BM.

1718143563297.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli