Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #115

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So pleased 'money pinching' BM lost loads in his unsuccessful civil suit.
Can anyone estimate how much this cost him?
IMO, ZERO.
:p
<-- this be Nominal Plaintiff Barr sticking his L. lingua out at us...
Odds-on, this was (1) a contingent fee case, (2) filed and funded by BM's legal team, (3) in his name, (4) nominally,
(5) with their respective firm's risks principally limited to their own costs, and (6) constituting a sadly not uncommon de facto judicial lottery. :mad:
Barry's material risk(s) were likely/fs: ZERO. !:mad:!
Of course, had there been recoveries from any defendants, Barry would presumably have shared in these to the extent provided in the aforementioned contract.
[kindly imagine a barf emoji.]

Yes I wonder what was going on with that quite frankly.
IIRC, Cahill was probably simmering and why he took or returned a call to IE on the eve of his testimony during the preliminary hearing. Who does that -- a State witness talking to the defense attorney before they testify at a hearing?

We know whatever agenda IE had in making contact worked because Cahill failed to testify as he'd been prepped by Hurlburt.

Did IE know about the internal investigation of Cahill and threaten him in advance with the civil lawsuit she ultimately filed more than a year later following the dismissal of the case?

Cahill's response to the civil suit was more of a "poor me" and how he tried to do right by BM.

IMO, Cahill was always a misfit. A disservice to all sides -- especially the side of justice for SM.

So pleased 'money pinching' BM lost loads in his unsuccessful civil suit.
Can anyone estimate how much this cost him?

My earlier response to OP was about the estimated cost of his criminal defense.

Relative to the civil suit, I doubt BM was out of pocket for much more than some legal costs advanced such as filing fees, etc., and where any professional fees for his team of lawyers here were all part of a contingency agreement. MOO

Tomorrow is Friday and we wait. It isn’t so hard on us now. Civil suits dismissed. Suzanne found and we know he put the BAM in her body. He is the one under the stress of waiting. He will pay a terrible price for what he did to Suzanne. His attorney should tell him to confess and get on with the rest of his life…in jail.

No one can bring Suzanne back. As for the prosecutor, I wouldn’t make any deals with BM. Let him confess but no deal. Ask for the maximum. He owes that to his daughters, his mother and his sister.

Oh Barry. If you had let her go peacefully, you might both feel free and happy.

Dumb, dumb, dumb decision you made!

It was Carol Mckinley's X post that named Iris, just a few pages back.

Iris and her unethical behaviour regarding this case should be looked at going all the way back to when Judge Murphy recused himself, thats imoo - am convinced the recusal was down to Iris taking advantage of certain relationships and I also think it was the reason why her and Dru parted ways. JMO

I had the good fortune to listen to the few hearings made available on WebEx in Judge Murphy's Court (advisement and arraignment). What I am certain about from listening to the hearings was that Judge Murphy had total control of his Courtroom, and no matter how many times team BM tried to manipulate and frustrate the Court, Murphy wasn't having it. I agree that team BM wanted Murphy gone from the get go.

Reading from my personal notes observing the Murphy hearings, it started with BM's advisement that coincided with the first appearance by BM's new legal team (IE/DN). At this hearing, IE introduced herself to the Court by attempting to get BM's charges reduced from 1st degree to 2nd degree murder, citing a sanction for discovery violation by the prosecution. Next, IE pulled her page from the US Constitution-- citing BM's civil rights were being violated.

But Judge Murphy wasn't having any of it. First, he corrected IE that she miscalculated her discovery deadline because the discovery clock she was incorrectly relying on to allege violation by the prosecution didn't begin on the date of BM's arrest, but on the date of the defendant's first appearance. Murphy further advised IE that civil rights under the US Constitution applied to all whether enjoying freedom or being held in custody, but in his courtroom, the Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure governed, not the US Constitution.

I also recall Judge Murphy closing the preliminary hearing by responding directly to DN that he needed time to take in the three days of proceedings, he was not a robot, and he would not be making a decision on that date. (I believe Murphy said he took more than 20 pgs of notes).

Reviewing the summary posted upthread when Murphy delivered his ruling on probable cause, I think it's confirmation that Murphy was thorough, ruled on the law, and not the personalities.

I can't help but think had Murphy not been removed from this case, how different the outcome may have been for all the parties here. IMO, IE would not have been afforded the opportunity to to misstate the record-- including misrepresenting Murphy's own words.

One particular misstatement by IE that comes to mind was when Murphy was compelled to remind IE how the latest defense Motion calling for sanctions by citing they did not receive discovery from the prosecution was not the equivalent of having received discovery from the prosecution, but not being able to access what they in fact received.

IE needed to be policed but with the help of Ramsey Lama, she steered all eyes elsewhere. With no eyes on the defense, the prosecution buried in defense paper, IE was masterful in implementing her agenda. MOO

Last edited:
I had the good fortune to listen to the few hearings made available on WebEx in Judge Murphy's Court (advisement and arraignment). What I am certain about from listening to the hearings was that Judge Murphy had total control of his Courtroom, and no matter how many times team BM tried to manipulate and frustrate the Court, Murphy wasn't having it. I agree that team BM wanted Murphy gone from the get go.

Reading from my personal notes observing the Murphy hearings, it started with BM's advisement that coincided with the first appearance by BM's new legal team (IE/DN). At this hearing, IE introduced herself to the Court by attempting to get BM's charges reduced from 1st degree to 2nd degree murder, citing a sanction for discovery violation by the prosecution. Next, IE pulled her page from the US Constitution-- citing BM's civil rights were being violated.

But Judge Murphy wasn't having any of it. First, he corrected IE that she miscalculated her discovery deadline because the discovery clock she was incorrectly relying on to allege violation by the prosecution didn't begin on the date of BM's arrest, but on the date of the defendant's first appearance. Murphy further advised IE that civil rights under the US Constitution applied to all whether enjoying freedom or being held in custody, but in his courtroom, the Colorado Rules of Criminal Procedure governed, not the US Constitution.

I also recall Judge Murphy closing the preliminary hearing by responding directly to DN that he needed time to take in the three days of proceedings, he was not a robot, and he would not be making a decision on that date. (I believe Murphy said he took more than 20 pgs of notes).

Reviewing the summary posted upthread when Murphy delivered his ruling on probable cause, I think it's confirmation that Murphy was thorough, ruled on the law, and not the personalities.

I can't help but think had Murphy not been removed from this case, how different the outcome may have been for all the parties here. IMO, IE would not have been afforded the opportunity to to misstate the record-- including misrepresenting Murphy's own words.

One particular misstatement by IE that comes to mind was when Murphy was compelled to remind IE how the latest defense Motion calling for sanctions by citing they did not receive discovery from the prosecution was not the equivalent of having received discovery from the prosecution, but not being able to access what they in fact received.

IE needed to be policed but with the help of Ramsey Lama, she steered all eyes elsewhere. With no eyes on the defense, the prosecution buried in defense paper, IE was masterful in implementing her agenda. MOO
Agree that if Judge Murphy wasn't removed it could have been a different outcome. I liked him a lot. Not that that's of any importance lol but he was firm yet fair, took no messing and was honest and direct or that's how it seemed to me and Lama appeared to be too lazy to do any fact checking for himself instead relying on Iris's version of events, again jmo, creating this absolute farce along with some prosecutorial mistakes. Iris has been unethical, she's lied and made false statements, twisted facts to suit her game plan - don't see how that is much different to Linda's failings. And the difference between Linda and Iris, I believe, is Linda wanted to do the right thing, yes she was misguided, disorganised, had lack of oversight, may have been inappropriate on occasion but I believe she ultimately wanted justice for those victims, Iris doesn't appear to give a damn about anything except her own agenda, and will go to any lengths to get what she wants.

When Barry gets charged again, am interested to see who his defence attorneys will be. Don't think I could cope with watching Iris fawning all over him.

moo

Agree that if Judge Murphy wasn't removed it could have been a different outcome. I liked him a lot. Not that that's of any importance lol but he was firm yet fair, took no messing and was honest and direct or that's how it seemed to me and Lama appeared to be too lazy to do any fact checking for himself instead relying on Iris's version of events, again jmo, creating this absolute farce along with some prosecutorial mistakes. Iris has been unethical, she's lied and made false statements, twisted facts to suit her game plan - don't see how that is much different to Linda's failings. And the difference between Linda and Iris, I believe, is Linda wanted to do the right thing, yes she was misguided, disorganised, had lack of oversight, may have been inappropriate on occasion but I believe she ultimately wanted justice for those victims, Iris doesn't appear to give a damn about anything except her own agenda, and will go to any lengths to get what she wants.

When Barry gets charged again, am interested to see who his defence attorneys will be. Don't think I could cope with watching Iris fawning all over him.

moo

Iris is a defense attorney. And for the money, she did almost impossible - dragged BM out of jail. It is an entrepreneurial country, so I can't blame her for the reasonable attempt to earn more money for herself and her client. With all that she might have done wrong, I can't blame her of being unethical as she used the situation that already existed around this case. It was not beyond the reasonable doubt. Some untied ends, someone's impulsivity, true lack of detective manpower that probably existed in most states in 2021-2022, and the case looked hslf-baked. No body, disorganized prosecutor's office, lots of new information accruing towards the end of investigative case, it all worked for Iris and her client. I don't see it as unethical. Showy, dramatic, but Iris was within her right.

Mostly, her game was still played within the justice chamber and unlike the circus in another state, it did not include manipulation of public opinion. (Beyond upgrading her client's look and staging a couple of beautiful photos, perhaps.)

She merely didn't expect that the body would have been found. Would she have taken this case at all if there were the body? We'll never know, but i am not sure.

Iris is a defense attorney. And for the money, she did almost impossible - dragged BM out of jail. It is an entrepreneurial country, so I can't blame her for the reasonable attempt to earn more money for herself and her client. With all that she might have done wrong, I can't blame her of being unethical as she used the situation that already existed around this case. It was not beyond the reasonable doubt. Some untied ends, someone's impulsivity, true lack of detective manpower that probably existed in most states in 2021-2022, and the case looked hslf-baked. No body, disorganized prosecutor's office, lots of new information accruing towards the end of investigative case, it all worked for Iris and her client. I don't see it as unethical. Showy, dramatic, but Iris was within her right.

Mostly, her game was still played within the justice chamber and unlike the circus in another state, it did not include manipulation of public opinion. (Beyond upgrading her client's look and staging a couple of beautiful photos, perhaps.)

She merely didn't expect that the body would have been found. Would she have taken this case at all if there were the body? We'll never know, but i am not sure.
Whether she’s a good attorney or not, I can yield to your opinion. But she IS UNETHICAL. She knows he is guilty. It’s ok to earn money but she is greedy, as are the majority of people in the world today. No excuse for her.

Whether she’s a good attorney or not, I can yield to your opinion. But she IS UNETHICAL. She knows he is guilty. It’s ok to earn money but she is greedy, as are the majority of people in the world today. No excuse for her.
It is not unethical as a defense attorney to defend a client they think is guilty. It is ethical to zealously defend a client. It is also not unethical for a lawyer to want to earn money as many people like to do. If she engaged in unethical behavior related to her legal obligations she could be reported…just like LS was. One can dislike any person however.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc
Back