Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing over from past thread

It's all pretty strange
Actually it’s all pretty textbook, if you follow crime for any length of time – on this forum or elsewhere. Or just listen to others who post on this forum who have had similar relationships IRL.
There have been many comparisons of this case to the personal and criminal dynamics of the Jennifer Dulos murder case in New Canaan CT. Others have cited other case as being very similar.
We recognize a lot of the patterns of behavior in this marriage – because we have seen them before – recurrent familiar issues. ALL IMO

I think it's pretty weird Suzanne was spying on Barry
We know from the prelim that Suzanne got the spy pen to try and catch Barry in an affair. We know from SM’s sister that there had been infidelity on BM’s part back in Indiana. SM was naively hoping for a fresh start in Colorado.
Sadly, often IME, life does not change because the scenery changes. “Wherever you go, there you are?” Right?
So, perhaps SM felt he was up to his old “tricks”, never home, putting his phone into airplane mode, back on tinder
etc and she decided to catch him in the act.
Spying on Barry was an attempt to empower herself in a situation where she felt powerless. Information often equals power. ALL IMO

Their marriage was clearly on the rocks when you both start spying on each other and lose all trust in each other. Such a sad, sad situation
On this one we totally agree. The marriage was a shambles. It seems like they would both want to move on. Suzanne definitely wanted OUT. But Barry would not hear of it.
After she went missing he called her his “Angel” and said he “loved her to death”.

But, your statement really does beg the question – Why in the world would Barry want to stay in this marriage ?

Many have speculated on this. His motives seem pretty clear – especially since Suzanne ends up dead right after she indicates that she is leaving - no more forgiveness - this time is for real. Barry call the shots – even what she wears.
The Indiana house sale was on the horizon. Suzanne was pushing to get her inheritance money from her Mom, paid back to her, from the sale of the house.
And down the line.... there would be an inheritance from Gene.
Barry was only fifty years old, living a financial “house of cards” ( we will see more of this coming up in the next half of the prelim and at trial) he desperately needed her money in order to continue to live the lifestyle he was accustomed to - which was now seemingly above his means

ALL IMO
So much here to examine. I think Barry was married to the money and the secrets as much as he was to Suzanne. IOW...a divorce would have devastated him in a variety of ways...Not only the standard alimoney, splitting of assets, etc...But the uncovering of any shady or illegal financial dealings....Nothing strikes more fear into Barry, imo, than would Suzanne's divorce attorney. I think that weighed on his mind. Likewise, Suzanne was "done" with the marriage by her own admission. There was no turning back on her part....and Barry was finally getting the message, I believe. She wasn't as careful with the covert communications toward the end...it doesn't seem. I would even guess, maybe she didn't care any more about hiding it...she was sick and tire...of being sick and tired. Suzanne tracking Barry, imo, was to enlighten the daughters about how both of their parents were flawed, and contributed to the split. Otherwise...she is the bad one who bailed out on "the family"...not just Barry. She saw how her side of the family had been alienated from their children...and likely didn't want that to happen to her too, which was apparently already being done by Barry.

GREAT recap article - wow crazy how much has happened since the beginning!
Did not love that article. It was full of errors and totally misconstrued so many statements. I did like the high school factoids as the DM provided some background I hadn’t seen. I think I’ve been following this case for too long.

Barry arrives home on Saturday. If Suzanne has been tracking him, she would know this because he did not turn on Airplane mode until 3 minutes after arrival. Maybe he was watching her -are there trailcams set up on that side where the chaise lounges were that day-not the main patio? 7.5 hours of Airplane mode. It was said that Barry used Airplane mode when he wanted to avoid Suzanne tracking him. Well he was with Suzanne. Was it normal for him to leave Airplane engaged for that length of time? Or was this a one-off? They could have reviewed his habits for months on end and they know if this was a usual occurrence.

trial update thoughts with Lauren Sharf and Chris McDonough on same interview.
I love both of their insight! Any thoughts on the jacket he was possibly carrying?
Are you referring to the jacket that isn’t a jacket-just an article of clothing, or fabric? Teal in color? Or Barry’s jacket? The camo one?

Did not love that article. It was full of errors and totally misconstrued so many statements. I did like the high school factoids as the DM provided some background I hadn’t seen. I think I’ve been following this case for too long.

Barry arrives home on Saturday. If Suzanne has been tracking him, she would know this because he did not turn on Airplane mode until 3 minutes after arrival. Maybe he was watching her -are there trailcams set up on that side where the chaise lounges were that day-not the main patio? 7.5 hours of Airplane mode. It was said that Barry used Airplane mode when he wanted to avoid Suzanne tracking him. Well he was with Suzanne. Was it normal for him to leave Airplane engaged for that length of time? Or was this a one-off? They could have reviewed his habits for months on end and they know if this was a usual occurrence.

BM allegedly left PP after lunch for appointments at Kims Gym and KSi, and arrives back at PP not long after or 2:44p. SM knows he's on his way:

Crime Talk with Scott Reisch@CrimeTalkPod

May 9, 2020. Lindsey shows pic to Grusing It’s a selfie of Suzanne that was sent to Jeff Libler on LinkedIn at 2:03pm. Barry calls and texts Susanne on his way home. Barry gets home at 2:44pm.

9:58 AM · Aug 10, 2021·

Last edited:
I'm am trying to rethink these multiple FB friends requests. What time and date were these? Were any of the
requests granted? Was there any communications between the new friend?

One of their arguments was The BM can speak about a another, but she can't. In the text.
If he did take her phone and read it, I am sure they had terrible argument.

SM, Could have done it, basically to tell BM to FO. IMO

I'm am trying to rethink these multiple FB friends requests. What time and date were these? Were any of the
requests granted? Was there any communications between the new friend?

One of their arguments was The BM can speak about a another, but she can't. In the text.
If he did take her phone and read it, I am sure they had terrible argument.

SM, Could have done it, basically to tell BM to FO. IMO

Evidence indicates SM's last communication was May 9, 2020, at 3:11 pm.

The prosecution contends SM was murdered shortly after BM arrived home at 2:44 pm.

A dead woman can't be scrolling FB late at night sending out FB friend requests. That was likely BM that logged in to SM's account using a device SM didn't typically use to access her account (i.e., requiring code change).

SUZANNE MORPHEW: Preliminary hearing in Barry Morphew trial reveals new details | FOX31 Denver

Relative to the airplane mode on and off, I'm not current with vehicle technology but it seems to me that BM pairs his phone with his truck. I believe his phone can't be in airplane mode so he has to switch the airplane mode off every time he gets in his truck.

Could it just be a force of habit that BM places his phone in airplane mode whenever he gets home right before getting out of his truck?

Reportedly, there is no cellular service at PP.
Could be. Depends on if they unlimited data or not. I would think so but who knows and roaming eats up your battery and your data plan if you have one. I think airplane mode shuts off that which eats into your data plan. They have cell service but like many of us in areas where cell service is funky it all depends...somedays great...somedays nada bars of service. I tell guests it depends on mother nature and for heavens sake don't use your phone as an alarm clock because sometimes your location will be in the next state over in a different time zone and you will be an hour late for whatever you had to set your alarm for. I am super interested if this goes to trial and the data experts talk. I've always been fascinated by it relative to crime and how rapidly it is all changing.

Relative to the airplane mode on and off, I'm not current with vehicle technology but it seems to me that BM pairs his phone with his truck. I believe his phone can't be in airplane mode so he has to switch the airplane mode off every time he gets in his truck.

Could it just be a force of habit that BM places his phone in airplane mode whenever he gets home right before getting out of his truck?

Reportedly, there is no cellular service at PP.

I believe Barry had two phones, one for phone calls and one for pairing with his truck (to listen to music). A lot of people who run mobile businesses have two phones, because you need to be able to answer your phone if you're running a gig-based business (but still want to have your podcasts/music playing).

Oddly, since BM's phone is visible to the FBI when he turns it on at PP, if they weren't using cellular data to establish this, then they used iCloud data - so there was wireless which transmitted much of what would have been visible via cellular.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

I just noticed JL's last text to Suzanne. Went unanswered.

He asked about the weather.

Bing, bing, bing

To me, a veiled question -- is everything ok???? He knew it was tense. Knew Barry was coming back. Knew messaging stopped abruptly.

He may have been testing the water -- to make sure their conversation hadn't been compromised. Hijacked. If Suzanne had her phone, he might have expected an answer also in code like "cloudy and cold but nice enough" but if BARRY had eyes on her phone, it'd be a nice, tame, nothing of a question.

Are previous messages recorded, archived, still visible?

If only JL had the foresight and gumption to request a wellness check on Saturday afternoon, just for peace of mind.

If only

JMO
That's exactly what I was thinking. Suzanne had already sent him the picture of her sunbathing, so why ask about the weather? He must have been very worried, especially if he knew some of the things Barry had done to Suzanne recently.

I really wish he had called police. Who knows what they would have discovered if they visited the house on Saturday.

Could be. Depends on if they unlimited data or not. I would think so but who knows and roaming eats up your battery and your data plan if you have one. I think airplane mode shuts off that which eats into your data plan. They have cell service but like many of us in areas where cell service is funky it all depends...somedays great...somedays nada bars of service. I tell guests it depends on mother nature and for heavens sake don't use your phone as an alarm clock because sometimes your location will be in the next state over in a different time zone and you will be an hour late for whatever you had to set your alarm for. I am super interested if this goes to trial and the data experts talk. I've always been fascinated by it relative to crime and how rapidly it is all changing.

I think it's been pretty well established that PP is a cellular dead zone. Since PP had no landline, I think the family was reliant on internet and/or wifi connection for all their communication when at the residence. Placing the phone in airplane mode at PP does not prevent the phone from connecting to wifi so probably another reason not to want a drained battery.

The cellphone/data forensics presented at trial will indeed be very interesting!

MOO

Evidence indicates SM's last communication was May 9, 2020, at 3:11 pm.

The prosecution contends SM was murdered shortly after BM arrived home at 2:44 pm.

A dead woman can't be scrolling FB late at night sending out FB friend requests. That was likely BM that logged in to SM's account using a device SM didn't typically use to access her account (i.e., requiring code change).

SUZANNE MORPHEW: Preliminary hearing in Barry Morphew trial reveals new details | FOX31 Denver
3:11? I missed that ( I’m trying to only use our timeline cause I forget stuff left and right). I see it as 2:11 pm, with Suzanne telling JL she is on WhatsApp. If she sent any sort of communication after Barry arrived home at 2:44, please point me in the right direction. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Barry Morphew told a friend his wife Suzanne slept with 'a man in a basement in November 2019' | Daily Mail Online

It mentions Johnson Village, has that been discussed as it doesn't sound familiar but there's been a lot of info
There's not much there - a couple gas stations, a motel and some rafting companies, but there is cell service, thus the time stamp on BM's phone. Cell service is spotty from Salida to Johnson Village, and then from Johnson Village towards Denver it's hit or miss.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Suzanne had already sent him the picture of her sunbathing, so why ask about the weather? He must have been very worried, especially if he knew some of the things Barry had done to Suzanne recently.

I really wish he had called police. Who knows what they would have discovered if they visited the house on Saturday.

I recall how quickly CCSO arrived at Ritter's home to take the missing report after she contacted 911.

Wow -- just to imagine the possibility of CCSO knocking at the door -- finding BM right in the middle of his calculated execution and cover-up. :eek:

3:11? I missed that ( I’m trying to only use our timeline cause I forget stuff left and right).

Assuming the Fox2 article is correct, I wonder if we've been confusing the time SM takes the selfie photo (timestamp) with the time of her last communication on LinkedIn?

ETA: Add link

Libler messaged Suzanne on May 6 saying “I know these next few days were going to be rough.” Suzanne’s last communication happened on May 9 at 3:11 p.m. between her and Libler on LinkedIn.

@oviedo

Last edited:
I believe Barry had two phones, one for phone calls and one for pairing with his truck (to listen to music). A lot of people who run mobile businesses have two phones, because you need to be able to answer your phone if you're running a gig-based business (but still want to have your podcasts/music playing).

Oddly, since BM's phone is visible to the FBI when he turns it on at PP, if they weren't using cellular data to establish this, then they used iCloud data - so there was wireless which transmitted much of what would have been visible via cellular.
We have strict hands free laws in my area and pairing phones with the vehicle not just for play list/entertainment. In my post, I was referring to pairing with vehicle for communication purposes. What's the law in Colorado?

ETA: Interesting -- seems Colorado OK with adults using handheld cell phones but not minors.

Distracted Driving and Colorado Cell Phone Use Law | Text Message and Talking

Last edited:
Assuming the Fox2 article is correct, I wonder if we've been confusing the time SM takes the selfie photo (timestamp) with the time of her last communication on LinkedIn?

ETA: Add link

Libler messaged Suzanne on May 6 saying “I know these next few days were going to be rough.” Suzanne’s last communication happened on May 9 at 3:11 p.m. between her and Libler on LinkedIn.

@oviedo
Well crap! Suzanne was still using LinkedIn at 3:11 pm? With Barry home for over 20 minutes? Am I the only dork that missed that? @NoSI @oviedo @OldCop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman