Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
100 likes. It's rubbish and the defense team knows it yet people are eating it up.

I'm not sure it's rubbish. Too bad the detective didn't follow up on it or we might know for sure.

Unknown DNA matches found in Suzanne Morphew's vehicle, defense says; judge's ruling next

Cahill testified that he didn’t follow up on those matches. In the Chicago case, a detective in that city told Cahill that he would follow up on the match, Cahill testified, and then said he did not check whether the detective did so.

Under cross-examination from the prosecution, Cahill testified that a DNA match from CODIS should be treated as an investigative lead that law enforcement should follow up on.

You still can’t separate Barry from this, regardless of that DNA.

Some predator didn’t kidnap Suzanne, enter her car, leave her purse, stage a bicycle, dump a helmet, force Barry to lie about when he woke up, put Barry outside when he should have been sleeping, put Barry in the vicinity of the bike, shut down Suzanne’s phone at the precise moment Barry needed it to, force Barry to chase elk towards the helmet location, force him to dump 5 bags of trash, force him to lie about working, force him to lie about where he was when he got that call, force him to lie about the state of their marriage, and Suzanne wanting a divorce.

He didn’t cause Suzanne’s footprint to cease to exist on that afternoon, put Barry’s phone on airplane mode, disappear her journal, scratch Barry’s arms.

Etc, etc, etc.
I like your posts but I keep coming back to Scott Reisch’s statement about “believing” vs “knowing.” The Preliminary is about believing. The trial will be about knowing and from my POV the prosecution is in a coin toss and if they lose at trial on Murder1 it is all over…prosecution doesn’t get 2 tries. Oh to be a mouse in the corner listening to their conversations :-)

LE didn’t seem concerned about testing the coffee for poison, they didn’t seem concerned about the sleeping bag near the helmet, they didn’t seem too concerned about the bike…lots they didn’t seem too concerned about. Just saying and these are things we know about. Makes you wonder what defense knows about.

The state should have had it tested and ruled out to avoid this circus :eek::eek:

I am wondering about the 2 empty containersu of chlorine (or spa stuff) left in the Range Rover. Some thought it was possibly to bring to the store to remind SM what she had bought. Why 2? Wouldn’t you recycle 1 and just keep 1 if you needed a reminder? MOO something is up with the 2 empty containers of chemicals for hot tub left in her vehicle. Sloppy BM. I think he might have forgot to recycle.
Do you think Barry recycles? A man whose vehicle interior has been described as dusty and trashy. Makes me chuckle.

I respect your opinion but the prosecution knew that they were up against top defensive attorneys who are highly skilled at shredding apart everything. For that reason, I think it would have been a good idea for each witness to read the entire AA.
The defense will ask an interrogator about specific cellphone evidence and he doesn’t know. Then they ask the cellphone guy about DNA evidence and he doesn’t know. It’s defense strategy, an effort to make LE appear incompetent. Hopefully, it’ll be a different story during the trial where there will be specific expert testimony for each specific type of evidence.

100 likes. It's rubbish and the defense team knows it yet people are eating it up.

I think people are a lot more savvy these days due to 23&me, My Heritage, etc. Anyone who's ever done it knows you'll get a TON of partial matches. Below is mine, for example :

Distant relatives
+8,199
These DNA Matches are likely to be 3rd cousins or more

So they could get a partial match for me on every continent!

Here's a question I have; If SM was so secretive about her affair and stuff why would she keep a journal disparaging bM right next to her bed or admitting an affair or domestic violence? Locked or not locked that seems to fly in the face of reason given all that we know. She was pretty savvy in covering her tracks concerning her affair, why risk putting any damaging content in journal and keeping it a couple of feet from her husband where he can easily find it?

I like your posts but I keep coming back to Scott Reisch’s statement about “believing” vs “knowing.” The Preliminary is about believing. The trial will be about knowing and from my POV the prosecution is in a coin toss and if they lose at trial on Murder1 it is all over…prosecution doesn’t get 2 tries. Oh to be a mouse in the corner listening to their conversations :)
Colorado jury instructions provide for the defendant to be convicted on the lesser charge of Murder 2 although not initially charged with the lesser in the criminal complaint. I also like SR's analogy here with believing during the preliminary vs. proving beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. I also find Colorado jurors tend to be full of common sense. MOO

BM-as-ATM Comment. Relevance?
Agree and how does this relate to the case? I totally think Barry's comment meant he was the income producer....the bank machine.... which is somewhat true as none of the other family members were income producers on a day to day basis. I think too much is being read into that statement and there is zero evidence that he held all the money and doled it out one thin dollar at a time like a grinch. So many little comments by Barry are flip, innocuous and time wasters to try and figure out if they are real or not real and none of those comments really bolster the case at all. Just my opinion but alot people aren't going to believe some of those statements at face value anyway. Scott Reich made a great comment last night about the difference between "believing" and "knowing" and it's an important point now that the preliminary is over.
@Momofthreeboys bbm thanks for your post :) Relate to case? Agreeing, not particularly relevant to elements of crimes charged.

If BM's answer (I give her $) was factual then his answer may reinforce the 'I Control SM' that some paint here.

OTOH, if BM's answer was not factual (SM did have an ATM card), then his stmt speaks to his credibility or to his flippant attitude toward LE. Or both. ;)Being interrogated by LE re spouse's disappearance or death, well, who would take that seriously?;):rolleyes: sarc

I think about this a lot, also. Plus some other witnesses whose lives could be upturned.
Plus a lot of really bad things are going to be said about BM. Text messages about SM wanting out, maybe abuse. It’s all going to hurt the girls. In the end I think they will see BM did it but……it’s still their dad.

I am wondering about the 2 empty containers of chlorine (or spa stuff) left in the Range Rover. Some thought it was possibly to bring to the store to remind SM what she had bought. Why 2? Wouldn’t you recycle 1 and just keep 1 if you needed a reminder? MOO something is up with the 2 empty containers of chemicals for hot tub left in her vehicle. Sloppy BM. I think he might have forgot to recycle.

I don't remember the 2 empties being referenced as chlorine, so maybe one was chlorine and the other was for adjusting the PH?

Here's a question I have; If SM was so secretive about her affair and stuff why would she keep a journal disparaging bM right next to her bed or admitting an affair or domestic violence? Locked or not locked that seems to fly in the face of reason given all that we know. She was pretty savvy in covering her tracks concerning her affair, why risk putting any damaging content in journal and keeping it a couple of feet from her husband where he can easily find it?

I'm uncertain that the "journal" referenced as missing was a private diary (such as where SM recorded a grievance list in her phone notes) but maybe a companion journal to the "Courage to Change" book published by Al-Anon.

Although I'm not familiar with the Courage book, it seems that whoever alerted authorities to look for them may have understood why the book and journal would be together. I think it might be a journal shared during group meetings.

Nonetheless, I agree with OP that SM most likely would keep her personal diary behind a protected password. MOO

Courage to Change—One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II | Al-Anon Family Groups

I am a little bit concerned that the defence is trying to imply that TD might be involved in this, per the Arizona DNA thing. They were so hung up on that! I have no idea if Tempe is where Tyson lives or lived, but I do know he lives in Arizona. Maybe it's nothing, but I can only imagine how much Barry loathes that man, and would love nothing more than to want to seek revenge on T. I would honestly be scared of BM if I were him. (In the same way I'd be scared if I was JL.):(

*Just thinking out loud, so totally IMO. It stood out to me how they were hammering on about Arizona. I'm sure it's a ridiculous thought, but it's been popping up all day while perusing the final day of this hearing.

Catching up & came upon this and I'll admit, I'm utterly confused.
BM's legal defense is actually trying to imply some rando YT guy is involved?

I followed all the amazing member's posts here and I never saw any inference of TD.

I'm uncertain that the "journal" referenced as missing was a private diary (such as where SM recorded a grievance list in her phone notes) but maybe a companion journal to the "Courage to Change" book published by Al-Anon.

Although I'm not familiar with the Courage book, it seems that whoever alerted authorities to look for them may have understood why the book and journal would be together. I think it might be a journal shared during group meetings.

Nonetheless, I agree with OP that SM most likely would keep her personal diary behind a protected password. MOO

Courage to Change—One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II | Al-Anon Family Groups
Whatever the "journal" was, it was important enough for someone to mention to LE...and negative enough to BM for him to burn it.

IMO

New poster and new reader here. I hope its okay if I share some thoughts.. I skipped about 70 threads so I may be missing some key facts but here is my perspective based largely on the PH.

Regarding the PH, my understanding is that the prosecution's goal is to just barely clear the relatively low bar of probable cause. They don't need beyond-a-reasonable-doubt and don't aim for it. I think they cleared that bar. However, if you'll forgive the mixed metaphors, I would have liked to see one solid nail in the coffin. My perception is that the prosecution wood-glued the thing shut, but no nails.

Two things stood out to me that I thought could be very powerful but turned out not to be at all.

First, the broken door jamb. The door in question was the entrance to the master bedroom and the spypen was located in the bra box in the master bedroom. Clearly the prosecution is implying that Barry broke the door jamb while breaking into the room to harm Suzanne. If it happened that way the spypen should have picked up the sound. Why not play the sound in court?

Second, there was just a small implication of domestic violence, something about Barry's hand brushed against Suzanne's nose and (I think) caused it to bleed. Again, clearly the prosecution is trying to make this a big deal and implying there was more to the story. Is that all they have, though? If that is the best evidence of DV then I'm sorry, its poor. If the prosecution has more, why leave it at innuendo rather than present a more clear-cut example?

There are a few allegations that I have read on WS for which I haven't seen evidence (again, I skipped a lot) and that no evidence was presented at the PH. This leads me to believe the allegations are false. These include: 1) Barry cheating on Suzanne, 2) domestic violence (except the above), 3) money problems in the marriage.

There are also a few allegations that were disputed in the media and/or on WS and I think we have clear evidence that they are factual. 1) Suzanne's affair, 2) Suzanne wanted to sell the Indiana house, 3) spying within the marriage, though it went the opposite way as expected.

There remain many open questions. 1) Chlorine - its not crazy to me that the smell in the hotel room was from the pool but I also wonder about the empty bottles in the Range Rover. Undecided. 2) Tranquilizer dart - I understand the theory but it seems like more work than is necessary to do the job, especially for a premeditated murder. Why complicate the action in that way? Maybe there was some grand plan that went wrong? I don't know. 3) No DNA and no blood anywhere - Yes, I've seen every episode of CSI twice so count me in as having high expectations of the prosecution in this area but, seriously, none? That sucks. 4) Mallory's sheets - At first I thought they were used to transport the body, but they were found in the house. What sort of evidence could have been on the sheets but that a person would reliably believe would be washed away? Tranquilizer serum? If there was evidence, why not disappear the sheets along with the body, just in case? I cannot connect this dot.

Before you all call me names, yes, I can see that there are a lot of questionable points about Barry's story. I might be able to believe 1, or 2, or 3 of the points but taken together its difficult. I haven't heard enough to convict him but, again, I don't understand that to be the point of the PH.

I welcome feedback on the above and will respond if its civil and fact-based, as I understand that to be the reason WS exists.

I will not argue pure speculation nor will I will answer criticism that I'm not sufficiently anti-Barry. I don't understand that stuff to be the reason WS exists.

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.

Last edited:
Whatever the "journal" was, it was important enough for someone to mention to LE...and negative enough to BM for him to burn it.
Maybe burning the journal was a knee jerk reaction. I have a feeling he may not have bothered to read much of it. If there was anything less than flattering involving Barry or their relationship, it had to go. Just like the texts he deleted, the trash he threw out, and Suzanne’s missing phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734