Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go to TD's YouTube channel (Google search on his full name and "YouTube"; it will pop up), his most recent video post is ~2 min long . IMPORTANT: He took the video **before** he spoke to BM. The interesting thing in the video is that he has some very good views of the bridge and creek where BM said the bike was recovered. Not posting the link because I'm not sure if it's permitted per TOS.

They never issued a BOLO with a description of SM, her bike or clothing. Strange behavior if they actually believed a kidnapping, abduction occurred ala BM’s theories.

RSBM Great job SusiQ!

I find your analysis more compelling than believing that LE made their decision based strictly on one criterion, that being tunnel vision (meaning no strong evidence, nothing to see here folks, it's always the husband) etc.
Furthermore that suggest they discounted any and all possible theories and missed the opportunity to solve this or at a minimum garner more information, by issuing a bolo or getting Suzanne back quickly and unharmed. And LE did this (?), just to get at BM...right.

There are solid reasons things have proceeded as they have….

Last edited:
True. But why does everyone keep saying he was not yet publicly identified when it was announced Suzanne was missing? They are in a town of 200 people right? So everyone knows him. I’m even more curious as to why the locals don’t speak up. What’s up with that?
What do you mean? People are saying it because it's true! His very first contact with MSM and he did not want to be identified. What's up with that should be the question. Media had no choice, respected his wishes, and referred to him as "the husband." MOO

As a massive search continues for the missing mother, a family member told CBS4 that Morphew’s husband, who has not been publicly identified, has offered a $100,000 for information about his wife’s disappearance.

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]

What do you mean? People are saying it because it's true! His very first contact with MSM and he did not want to be identified. What's up with that should be the question. Media had no choice and referred to him as "the husband." MOO

As a massive search continues for the missing mother, a family member told CBS4 that Morphew’s husband, who has not been publicly identified, has offered a $100,000 for information about his wife’s disappearance.

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]
I asked because I didn’t know.

The video won’t play for me. I know MSM says things sometimes that aren’t true or they misquote someone.

ETA: I was able able to read the article. It never said he did not want to be identified. It just said he hadn’t been publicly identified. That’s different.

I can’t seem to find the definitive answer to this anywhere: has anyone besides BM said the bike was found “in a ravine”? I recall seeing that it was on or near a bridge but nothing else.

It’s certainly possible that I’ve missed this info - these threads were really clipping along for awhile.
The first I, myself heard of a ravine was in the article from May 22 quoting the Fire Chief Bertram.

“The initial report that I got when they told me on Monday is that she is missing and they found her bike in a ravine,” he said.

Investigators search Salida property in connection with Suzanne Morphew disappearance, Fire Chief remains “hopeful”

The first I, myself heard of a ravine was in the article from May 22 quoting the Fire Chief Bertram.

“The initial report that I got when they told me on Monday is that she is missing and they found her bike in a ravine,” he said.

Investigators search Salida property in connection with Suzanne Morphew disappearance, Fire Chief remains “hopeful”
Thanks for the link, Cindizzi !

Wonder if F.C. Bertram has anything else he'd like to say ??? :rolleyes:
I'd also like to know who told him the bike was in a ravine ?
Not that I doubt it completely, I just want to know how he heard this ?
Because I'm certain it wasn't LE.
Imo.

YES! For as little information as we as the public have to review, it’s been quite arduous finding specific quotes and info. thank you for finding that.

Yeah can we discuss that guy? He sure was media happy. Seems like he should have saved his interview for LE only. Since he is also running for office, I doubt him a bit.
Speaking of, the primaries here were yesterday. I wonder if he won?
I don’t doubt the altercation occurred but we only heard his side, over and over and over.

That's how journalism works. I think it was a useful interview, otherwise all we'd have is BM's criminal record (disorderly conduct infraction) without the story of how both men were originally charged higher and then pleaded down.

Do you expect BM to actually tell his side? He's not going to. No one has to "save their interview for LE" and in fact, it doesn't even seem pertinent to this case, except to speak to BM's temperament.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 26, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the missing person investigation involving Suzanne Morphew.

On Tuesday, May 26, investigators' efforts involved review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. To date, there have been more than 400 calls to the tip line designated to collect information related to Ms. Morphew’s missing person case.

The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

Additionally, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office confirms that the Morphew residence has been released back to the family.

Two days before they concluded the Salida property search and: Investigators “were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time," the sheriff's office said that afternoon.

Sometimes you think LE and the agencies are not telling things, but they also are not findings things. I mean this case baffles me. I have seen that map of the area a hundred times by know, just thinking of where and how.

ElleBee, thank you for post. I respectfully submit that I can make the leap from “in charge” to “controlling.”

Largely, I base it on the fact that the person said that Barry has been in charge “for a long time.” To me, that is a veiled way to assert that Barry controlled what happened throughout their many years of marriage. If a person is in charge for 25 years, I’d say that person is likely in control.

Was Barry about to lose that control in the marriage, (Did Suzanne want to go her own way, did Barry fear loss of reputation?) Did he exercise the ultimate act of power and control, perhaps in a momentary fit of rage?

As a lawyer and DV advocate, I try to stick to the facts. Perhaps I will regret having such an overwhelming “gut” feeling on this case. But I strongly suspect this was a case of domestic violence.

Something I keep coming back to is why BM would have had the girls and or neighbor call the police? As a Dad wouldn't you protect your girls from making such a traumatic phone call to the neighbor/police. It matters little that he was in Denver, it's YOUR wife..why wouldn't YOU call the police with all of the information, explain to them when you left, why you are worried and that you are heading back. Most men are instinctively protective of their daughters and shelter them from things like this.. especially young girls.
Especially since he "worked" in the fire fighter field and would be comfortable communicating with LE and might have contacts in the LE. Imo

Thanks. Truth is you guys here are intelligent posters and a lot have real experience to speak from. I’m just hanging out trying to believe he’s a good guy. But where is Suzanne?
I would be screaming!
You are correct, there are many intelligent and experienced sleuthers here.
Many here have some legal or other expertise to bring to the table that answer specific questions.
Not a board with meaningless gossip.
Eta : I was referring to some posts that have come up in SM and not the comments here.
I should have emphasized that.

Speculation and theories, yes.

The definition of 'sleuth' is to investigate and search.

Last edited:
Very good! Thank you so much.
It seems normal to take his phone and truck. Keeping his home locked down for a week sounds like LE was searching for something very specific.
Never issuing a BOLO. Hmmm. That’s something!

It was more like 2 weeks. The house was released to the family on Monday, I believe (the 25th).

Someone correct me if I've got the wrong date. I believe Fire Chief is the one who mentioned BM had to find a new place to stay, temporarily, and that a "friend" offered a place very close to the family home, which is where the Fire Chief had the opportunity to observe BM pacing and staring out the window.

I am guessing that BM was near the house on May 10, and perhaps accompanied LE into the house (although I doubt it). LE would have asked his consent for a simple search of the house, and then returned the next day with a search warrant. It's even possible they got a search warrant that very night. I don't think we know. We don't know when they took his truck and phone, but I would bet it was on the night of May 10.

It appears "been in charge of what happens" may be shortened to, "he's controlling."

One of the things professionals who investigate cases learn is to take themselves out of the equation and look at what is normal for the people actually involved or affected. What were their routines, what did they do (which is not necessarily what others would do).

Projecting one's own values, habits, behaviors, and beliefs onto a situation and onto others creates complications that are unnecessary and can make investigating that much harder.

We all view the world from our own lenses, but criminal investigators, as well as behavior analysts, know better than to do that.

Okay. You said that waaaayyyyy better than I did.

Is it also possible they have another suspect in their very tiny community and LE doesn’t want that person tipped off about their investigation?
Are the FBI and CBI still heavily involved? I understand everyone’s POV and so on, but why are the big guns in town for a fairly common occurrence? Which should be easily traced? I have seen no evidence of a criminal mastermind in either of the videos.
Is no body issue the motivation?
Letecia was all over the place proclaiming her innocence, as were many others.

I see a husband trying to find his wife.I believe we would have somebody somewhere badmouthing him by now.
I am in agreement w/ you on another suspect entirely.
2 options for me: someone deliberately placing suspicion on BM...
Someone who stalked SM or one of her daughters.
There were some details released in Shari Fay Smith case, but LE was very reluctant to
release everything, when Debra Helmick was taken more details, but still denial of serial killer.
This was 36? years ago, unfortunately LE has to have developed methods for these cases.
The sick, a..hole communicated w/ family and let them believe she was alive days after her death.
Sorry, to everyone here, in my mind it is just as possible there is another LGB and he lives in CO. That is not a criticism of LE efforts, they would be just as silent. IMO
I do believe there are people here who know much more than they can post(leak)...
Please don’t laugh at me, or pile on.
JMO MVHO even tho we can’t post from non approved sources, nothing there either, strange.

Thanks for the link, Cindizzi !

Wonder if F.C. Bertram has anything else he'd like to say ??? :rolleyes:
I'd also like to know who told him the bike was in a ravine ?
Not that I doubt it completely, I just want to know how he heard this ?
Because I'm certain it wasn't LE.
Imo.
Well it looks like this is how he explained it to Crime Online on May 21, the day before the Fox21 article :

Bertram said a firefighter in his crew was the first to alert him to Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, in an early morning phone call on Monday, May 11.
According to the fire chief, that firefighter said in the initial call that authorities had found Suzanne’s bike. Bertram did not have any information about when or where Suzanne was last seen, or when she was last in contact with her husband. He also did not know precisely where the bike was found.1. According to the fire chief, that firefighter said in the initial call that authorities had found Suzanne’s bike. Bertram did not have any information about when or where Suzanne was last seen, or when she was last in contact with her husband. He also did not know precisely where the bike was found.

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

JMO, my plan is to defend BM innocence on odd days , guilt on even...
This is the 3rd...

While murderers may hide their victims in familiar and nearby places, why stage accident near home?

My next 5 ? DBM potential for BM sleuthing...questions LE should have, but they are being selfish and not sharing,.

If BM were innocent, taking off guard by girls’ call, could he have felt that having girls check w/ neighbor would reassure them...had he already or did he then call SM and get no response, and that caused him to worry! Would he have tried to keep narrative calm until he got home?
Who brought lion attack into the search?
What lead to discovery of a bike down in ravine. IOW Where exactly did that search originate from? House outward? How far from that supposed bike incident to a place a vehicle could be tucked away.
Any neighbors away for a period of time? House sitter?
How many houses in a 5 mile area w/ house the center.
Hiking the only access for the national wildlife area? Known sex offenders in the Salinas area, Chaffee County? Where?
What might regular bikers know?
Why break apart a beautiful family?
First video scripted to include every possible scenario.
He appeared blindsided, totally not in control, any basic phrasing from someone else... public affection not easy for some!

Facial and body language? I could and will follow up on the suggested books and articles to hone my skills, I kinda want to see where I stand now to have a reference for improvement.

I sense BM has gotten to a moment of despair in the 2nd video, he is limping, easy to injure oneself in rough areas.
It did not take much empathy to get him talking, but the conversation may have begun with BM suspicion of anyone in the area. Even an innocent person would have storyline of known facts memorized, lack of sleep and stress might make it harder to remember all details, pause to add days up that she has been missing, bike info, even tho he might criticize LE , he might still not go against their direction, he was not selling his innocence, just second guessing everyone and everything, just like we are doing...

Other questions probably fall on even/ guilty days
JMO
bbm
Good points.^^^

Green bolded : Heeheehee ... :D

Lavender bolded : I'm encouraged by LE's 'selfishness' aka being so tight-lipped.
Yes, that gave me a chuckle, too. :)
Since they are silent, I'm guessing they're working overtime to solve this case and bring Suzanne home.
Bet their silence is driving someone crazy, though ?
IMO

This is the first case I've followed where there was no :
Recent photo ; identifying marks as in tattoos, scars ; no meds that she was on and needed (not like a kidnapper's going to get her any meds) ; clothing she was wearing ; what exact day and time that she was last seen outside of family ; etc.

LE won't even say that they have her bike.
But I think they have it, and at least one or more 'personal items'.
Imo.

Last edited:
They still haven't found anything. Or they are not telling. Shouldn't they be questioning him over and over. If they think they can find her alive and they suspect the husband then surely he would be back into questioning constantly.

If they don't think she will be found alive. Are they building a case? And thus keeping everybody in the loop. LE and the two agencies did not want any local and voluntarily groups searching for her. Why?
You may disagree with me but I believe they have the bike. What I don’t know is who first located it. The neighbour or LE. They also found either one or two items that belonged to SM, unless they are counting the bike and one item as “a couple“ of items. So, they did indeed find something. Actually, they may have “found” lots of things if we consider the digital evidence of which we know nothing. He can scrub his phone, but the call logs will not lie. Not to mention, video footage they may have of him and who knows, maybe someone else (just speculation) where they ought not to be. They may have caught BM in a lie very early on, all the while letting BM believe they believe him. I think they are playing this beautifully.

If BM did a nasty deed and has NO idea what LE has on him, it’s likely driving him nutty that they are not buying his spiel. He also has to keep up his narrative and appearances to convince family and friends of his innocence, all the while feeling LE may be closing in on him. JMO

bbm
Good points.^^^

Green bolded : Heeheehee ... :D

Lavender bolded : I'm encouraged by LE's 'selfishness' aka being so tight-lipped.
Since they are silent, I'm guessing they're working overtime to solve this case and bring Suzanne home.

This is the first case I've followed where there was no :
Recent photo ; identifying marks as in tattoos, scars ; no meds that she was on and needed (not like a kidnapper's going to get her any meds) ; clothing she was wearing ; what exact day and time that she was last seen outside of family ; etc.

LE won't even say that they have her bike.
But I think they have it, and at least one or more 'personal items'.
Imo.
Oh dear, should I have been clearer? that was humor, not criticism!...just give me one itty bitty clue, and I will sleuth for hours!

Are the FBI and CBI still heavily involved? I understand everyone’s POV and so on, but why are the big guns in town for a fairly common occurrence? Which should be easily traced? I have seen no evidence of a criminal mastermind in either of the videos.
Is no body issue the motivation?
Letecia was all over the place proclaiming her innocence, as were many others.

I see a husband trying to find his wife.I believe we would have somebody somewhere badmouthing him by now.
I am in agreement w/ you on another suspect entirely.
2 options for me: someone deliberately placing suspicion on BM...
Someone who stalked SM or one of her daughters.
There were some details released in Shari Fay Smith case, but LE was very reluctant to
release everything, when Debra Helmick was taken more details, but still denial of serial killer.
This was 36? years ago, unfortunately LE has to have developed methods for these cases.
The sick, a..hole communicated w/ family and let them believe she was alive days after her death.
Sorry, to everyone here, in my mind it is just as possible there is another LGB and he lives in CO. That is not a criticism of LE efforts, they would be just as silent. IMO
I do believe there are people here who know much more than they can post(leak)...
Please don’t laugh at me, or pile on.
JMO MVHO even tho we can’t post from non approved sources, nothing there either, strange.
I’m not interested in people laughing at me or my questions or piling on or berating me. Number one, I’m trying to learn. and number two, I can give my opinion as well as anyone else can. If people can answer my questions it really helps me because so many posters are experienced. And I really appreciate them.

If all they can say is “Do you really....” as an attempt to shut me down because I am taking their time, I will just keep asking. I can’t keep up with every post on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris