Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps it was a “crime of passion” and a person with those personality traits thought they were smart enough that they could cover it up because they couldn’t face the consequences - children and family hating them, going to jail, losing their freedom & “reputation” in their community. Maybe the risk of trying to hide what he did was in his confused and panicked thinking at least worth a try even if he thought he might not get away with it in the end. I keep hoping that IF BM is responsible that regret, guilt and the stress of continued interrogation by LE might lead to a confession and IF BM did something to her and with her body IF there is still a person/husband/father in there somewhere he will realize that Suzanne and his children deserve better than this. I would also not be surprised if he couldn’t bring himself to confess and if he thought he was about to be arrested he might take his own life compounding the tragedy and taking her location to his grave.
IMO BM could be a narcissist that committed a crime of passion. Typically, narcissists do not admit responsibility or fault. My prediction is BM will spend $1 million on attorneys, but he will never confess or lead LE to SM’s body.

Lauren Scharf

I spoke with this Salida woman who is putting up ribbons in honor of #suzannemorphew at Riverside Park. Find out what she is encouraging her community to do tonight on @FOX21News at 9 p.m. Morphew has been a #MissingPerson since May 10.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1270131419725983744?s=21
It’s nice to see someone taking an interest, and trying to get the word out. Shame BM apparently doesn’t have the time.

BBM:

He is.

It has to be eating him up inside.

Not knowing how much they know.
Not knowing what evidence they've found.
Not knowing what secrets they've uncovered.
Not knowing if they've sussed out the motive.
Not knowing how close they are to making an arrest.
Not knowing when they're going to show up at his door.

"Knock, knock!"
"Who's there?"
"LE!"
"LE Who?"
"This ain't a joke. Open this door or we're going to break it down."

JMO.
Lol... I'm thinking about how proud and opportunistic BM must have felt at the time he somehow learned that "the bike," allegedly recovered from the ravine BM pointed to (during the Youtuber interview), was "touched by 10 others."

I love that somebody may have fed him that nugget-- and that he believed it!!

MOO

Last edited:
I agree that he used his daughters on Mothers Day. Not nice.

I think if he had harmed her before Mothers Day, and if people were inquiring about Suzanne not returning calls, missing her, to which he had no good answers to give, and BM couldn't take it any more.

He had to slap together a plan so people would stop bothering him. He needed Suzanne to be officially missing. He desperately needed the staged bike to be discovered that day so he could come home and not have to answer personally to anyone looking for Suzanne.

BBM:

I firmly believe SM came to harm before Mother's Day.

If she was killed on either Friday or Saturday, the issue of people trying to reach SM via phone that weekend would have presented the perp with a real conundrum. What to do?

Ignore the call and/or texts, and possibly set off alarm bells before you were safely away from the scene?
Respond via text as SM, and hope that you sounded like SM?
Respond as yourself, and indicate that SM was off doing something, but that you'd give her the message they called?

I'm reminded of the Kelsey Berreth case, and her moronic killer's attempts to pass himself off as her in text messages he sent to her employer and her mother.

Her mother definitely thought there was something off with the messages, as they didn't read the way Kelsey normally corresponded…which makes sense, because Kelsey was bright, and literate, whereas her killer is neither.

I'm thinking any attempts made by the perp here to reply via text as if they were SM would similarly read "false."

I also think that if someone provided callers with excuses for why SM wasn't around to talk, those explanations would now ring pretty hollow in retrospect, given the circumstances.

One of the things I'm curious about is whether or not her phone was "left at the house" (cough, cough) when she "went on her bike ride" (wheeze, snort), whether it was one of the items LE found, or whether her phone is currently missing.

JMO.

Last edited:
It’s nice to see someone taking an interest, and trying to get the word out. Shame BM apparently doesn’t have the time.
He's been really busy with guardianship stuff, real estate stuff...
not updating anyone on the FIND page, granting interviews to random strangers, being a "team member" on the FundMeGo site.
You know, important, time consuming stuff.

If there's no bike at all (meaning no bike ride, no staging of the bike), then we have BM on camera talking first hand about finding the bike as well as an email to his church (which seems most likely to have originated from him) saying the same thing. BM is on the record stating the bike recovery as a fact and if that's completely untrue, then I think he just made the whodunnit question really, really easy to answer. That would be fascinating if its indeed the case.

Isn't NamUs an official website? Under the department of Justice. They list SM as:

"Circumstances of DisappearanceSuzanne Morphew went missing on 05/10/2020 while on a bicycle ride on County Road 225 and West Highway 50, located in unincorporated Chaffee County."
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I can't see an official website posting heresay. I sure hope it isn't and they have proof. Very confusing.

What was suspicious about it? It was maybe a Cadillac? A stretch limo?
Isn't this sighting on a Sunday up the road from a busy trailhead? With, like hundreds of bike riders in cars jostling for a parking spot? In that context, what could look suspicious? Dawdling? Peeing in the woods? Having a good look at every car? This is, like, normal at a trailhead.

I’ll find it for you..

BBM:

He is.

It has to be eating him up inside.

Not knowing how much they know.
Not knowing what evidence they've found.
Not knowing what secrets they've uncovered.
Not knowing if they've sussed out the motive.
Not knowing how close they are to making an arrest.
Not knowing when they're going to show up at his door.

"Knock, knock!"
"Who's there?"
"LE!"
"LE Who?"
"This ain't a joke. Open this door or we're going to break it down."

JMO.
BBM. LOL. Smart move on the part of LE. Keep it up I say!

He's been really busy with guardianship stuff, real estate stuff...
not updating anyone on the FIND page, granting interviews to random strangers, being a "team member" on the FundMeGo site.
You know, important, time consuming stuff.

I'd really like to know what his personality is and was. I guess that is profiling. And maybe if he had a recent head injury or disease process to change his personality as he seems very detached and able to go on with business as usual. Brains change from many things, affecting behavior. There is a statistic I can't recall of inmates often having brain damage.

Isn't NamUs an official website? Under the department of Justice. They list SM as:

"Circumstances of DisappearanceSuzanne Morphew went missing on 05/10/2020 while on a bicycle ride on County Road 225 and West Highway 50, located in unincorporated Chaffee County."
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I can't see an official website posting heresay. I sure hope it isn't and they have proof. Very confusing.

I believe it was the member here @OldCop that explained in Gannon Stauch's case, despite the fact the boy never went to a friend's house and then failed to return home, as reported by his step-mother who now sits in county lockup awaiting trial for his murder, on the initial police report he is in fact listed as a missing child, that went to a friend's and didn't return, and when police first respond, they take all the information as presented to them by the reporting party, at face value. (I hope I paraphrased that correctly, if not he is more than welcome to correct me).

On a police report, I'm not sure it's considered heresay exactly, to write information that has been given to the responding officer. In Gannon's case it turned out that it was a lie about where he really was, and the police were able to confirm that was a lie.

But in this case... we still don't know if she really did go for a bike ride, and we also don't know if LE can yet prove it, if in fact she didn't.
So, as of the date of when the NAMUS post went up, that would be the working info that LE had.

I think it would be very hard to stage a bicycle--and fool LE as to what happened to the bicycle and the rider. Simply throwing a bicycle into a brush ravine or down a roadside ditch or riding the bicycle off the road wouldn't damage the bicycle the same way a vehicle hitting the bicycle from any direction would. And if the bicycle was found with serious damage--then there should have been evidence of the rider's physical injuries left on the ground (blood, torn hair, etc.) or on rocks, tree and brush limbs. Perhaps, it was clear to LE investigators that there was only one plausible explanation for the condition of the bicycle and where it was found...and only one reasonable line of investigation to pursue.

I do wonder if the family tracks each other’s locations-my kids do it, but my SO wouldn’t have a clue to how to figure out where anyone is. My kids (young adults) are constantly checking their friends locations. Can you imagine if Mom’s phone was showing up in Denver? Maybe someone continued to text as SM to mess with the timeline, yet the location was hinky? Probably not because I would assume child would not be signing off on guardianship if that was the case. So many possibilities as to why LE knew. Who said what...

I think it would be very hard to stage a bicycle--and fool LE as to what happened to the bicycle and the rider. Simply throwing a bicycle into a brush ravine or down a roadside ditch or riding the bicycle off the road wouldn't damage the bicycle the same way a vehicle hitting the bicycle from any direction would. And if the bicycle was found with serious damage--then there should have been evidence of the rider's physical injuries left on the ground (blood, torn hair, etc.) or on rocks, tree and brush limbs. Perhaps, it was clear to LE investigators that there was only one plausible explanation for the condition of the bicycle and where it was found...and only one reasonable line of investigation to pursue.

but if that were the case, they could still be thinking random abduction. And they weren’t.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I find myself thinking of elements of this story as if they're possibilities --- but considering the possible source....
  • Bike ride ?
  • Phone found or not ?
  • Neighbor did a welfare check and called 911 ?
  • Daughters couldn't get a hold of their mom and called the neighbor ?
  • Were the daughters actually coming home that day for dinner as BM said in the TD interview ? (Yes, there's a reason I'm wondering if that was true or not, and why BM stated it.)
  • Mountain lion ?
  • Fell into the river ?
  • Bike trails that run all the way from Salida to Denver ?

That last one is strange, as even if the trails go that far -- why'd BM even bring it up ?
LE never said she went missing while biking, and never said to search on the bike trails.

It's crazy b/c even if someone is a fence sitter (I have been in other cases), BM's and LE's actions are so far removed form each other that it's like they're in separate universes.
Each side has seemingly different objectives.

One has a generous reward as if Suzanne is safe and just being held captive and as if there could be a safe return; and the other has broken through concrete and sifted soil, respectively.
MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I do wonder if the family tracks each other’s locations-my kids do it, but my SO wouldn’t have a clue to how to figure out where anyone is. My kids (young adults) are constantly checking their friends locations. Can you imagine if Mom’s phone was showing up in Denver? Maybe someone continued to text as SM to mess with the timeline, yet the location was hinky? Probably not because I would assume child would not be signing off on guardianship if that was the case. So many possibilities as to why LE knew. Who said what...
bbm
Good points.
Re. the bolded : :eek:

It's also possible that the child was told to sign off regardless.
Imo.

I'd really like to know what his personality is and was. I guess that is profiling. And maybe if he had a recent head injury or disease process to change his personality as he seems very detached and able to go on with business as usual. Brains change from many things, affecting behavior. There is a statistic I can't recall of inmates often having brain damage.

There are a lot of people that can go on with business as usual, and I tend to call them the "auto-pilot people".
I only know that because I found out years ago that I am one.
Those are the people who receive the most gut-wrenching, earth shattering, hearth breaking news, and still get it up and go to work the next day.
Those are the people that, once the crisis is over, and they no longer have to be in charge, or pay the bills or whatever it is that needs attention and doesn't care about heartbreaking news, that's when they let themselves lose it. Privately.
But generally, in my experience, those people are not at all detached from the situation, but instead very actively involved in any way they can be, in a sort of "just the facts ma'am", no nonsense approach.
You tend to see this sort of warrior like personality in mothers of missing children, and advocates for SA and DV.

jmo

Oh, and I don't see BM this way at all.
He appears as if he's lost his favorite sleeveless tee.
"No questions asked".
For cryin' out loud. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members