Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen a media camp-out in a town as small as Salida. There have been two fairly publicized murders in the last 10 years in my town, but neither had a "media camp-out." This is before, of course, our local newspaper tanked. We now have only USA today and these little online papers that are really facebook pages.

It is very strange that no one in Salida has come forward to MSM to talk, but the only MSM covering it regularly seems to be CrimeOnline (and it's not really the same kind as MSM as, say, CBS or NBC affiliates).

The woman who covered the Barbara Thomas case made exactly 1 trip to Arizona to interview the husband and 0 trips, AFAIK to the search site. Then, one of those night time media magazines had a guy stand outside in SoCal, then cut to the other reporter's footage (some of it was new). He never set foot in the Mojave.

Barbara's case made it to the national level of news due to her bikini and the photos, IMO. There are two people missing from quite close to where she went missing and I'm guessing none of you have heard about it. There was a woman missing from about 30 miles where Barbara went missing at around the same time - no national news, hardly any coverage at all. Most of you probably didn't follow the missing Santa Barbara nurse (hardly any publicity) but she's been found after a bit more than a week of being missing.
That IS quite a small town. I experienced the Drew Peterson drama back in late 2007. He lived about a mile away from me when his wife Stacy went missing. Living in a town where something like this happens is just crazy and surreal. My heart hurt for that woman. I would drive around and look at creeks and wonder if she was there. I’d hear the helicopters hovering for hours searching. Very eerie. The way some men treat the women they are supposed to love and protect is terrible.

I don't think it is fair to say BLM is avoiding the media. The mainstream reporter who has been doing the best job of covering this case is 204 miles away in Colorado Springs (Lauren Scharf). That's 204 miles away from the area that it's been suggested BLM should be searching every waking minute of every day. I haven't seen a single news report from a correspondent that is actually standing anywhere near BLM's house since the house search, when he briefly showed up in some long distance news cam shots, and it appeared that he was asked to leave. As a matter of fact I believe it was reported that he did leave, right after he tied his shoe.
He doesn't seem like a Twitter, Instagram, Facebook kind of communicator to me. My impression is that he's more of an old school, "in your face" kind. I could be wrong about that.
Since I'm on that subject, I could be wrong about a whole lot of things in this case. I think that any one of us should be able to say that. There's just a lot of misinformation out there, and not much plain old garden variety information in the mix. I don't see that it's his job to keep the public informed.
IMO
Barry was born in October of 1967. So was I. I have found that people our age are kind of divided. Many use social media daily and regularly and some just occasionally. Then there are some in between which I consider myself. Barry didn’t post much. Someone said his Instagram was created recently but I’m not sure. Suzanne posted but not a ton. I don’t think they were huge users of social media. Someone did say that since her birthday at the end of April he was using it more. I think Barry hasn’t been in the media because the media has been asked to back off/lay low by LE.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has not made an on camera statement, not once. He hasn’t given an interview, or made any public effort to get the word out.

I have no doubt the media has tried to get him to talk, and for whatever reason, he has decided against it.

If he said he was going to do an interview, a dozen reporters would be there. Clearly, he wants nothing to do with them.

So yes, I believe he is avoiding them.
That is why the video Tyson Draper was able to capture is huge. He caught Barry off guard. I can understand why LE has to remain silent if they are working on a solid case but Barry? Silent? Why? I’m on some private Facebook groups and so many are just bashing LE. Not doing anything for the past month. Saying everyone is focusing on Barry too much. Ironically none of them have wondered why Barry hasn’t made another plea.

That is why the video Tyson Draper was able to capture is huge. He caught Barry off guard. I can understand why LE has to remain silent if they are working on a solid case but Barry? Silent? Why? I’m on some private Facebook groups and so many are just bashing LE. Not doing anything for the past month. Saying everyone is focusing on Barry too much. Ironically none of them have wondered why Barry hasn’t made another plea.
I think his strategy is akin to “out of sight, out of mind.” If he doesn’t make a plea, then the news coverage dies down. Suzanne’s disappearance fades from the headlines, and life goes on.

Unfortunately for him, the investigation will not stop.

Unless of course the wearer has a head injury and is stunned/confused.
If I had to stagger up out of a "ravine" with rocks all around, I for sure would leave my helmet on. I wouldn't be thinking about my bike or attaching anything to a now-damaged bike (we don't know the condition of the bike of course).
Then, as I realized my head hurt or I had a cut on my face or whatever, I'd take it off.
I do realize this is an unlikely scenario, and LE's actions seem to say they don't think this was a bike accident.

People hit by cars are sometimes literally knocked out of their shoes. :(. For years, I thought it was hyperbole or sensationalism by media. I felt like I was hit in the gut when I saw it is true. I had been thinking that maybe it could happen with bike helmets, too, but it looks as though they're designed to stay on.

Some people when abducted have been able to leave something behind as a clue - her distinctive helmet would definitely qualify for that if that was the personal item found, but as you say, LE actions lead in another direction.

Have we considered all possible types of PoI's?
One type of (hypothetical) PoI not yet discussed AFAIK is a (hypothetical) friend/boyfriend of a teen girl. I recall a few teen girls' whose parent(s) expressed disapproval (direct, subtle, or diplomatic) of friend/boyfriend, who then reacted by threatening, injuring, or killing girl's parent(s) but cannot think of any case names. I believe there's no basis for thinking ^ here and any post discussing anything beyond ^ likely violates WS ToS.
Jmo, ^ that's at bottom of possibilities list, tied w a little green man in flying saucer landing on US 50 and whisking SM away back to Mars, his home planet.

Agree. There's always the aberration. Timothy McVeigh, Israel Keyes, Magen Fieramusca, Alyssa Bustamonte, etc.

Fool me once...

Last edited:
Barry was born in October of 1967. So was I. I have found that people our age are kind of divided. Many use social media daily and regularly and some just occasionally. Then there are some in between which I consider myself. Barry didn’t post much. Someone said his Instagram was created recently but I’m not sure. Suzanne posted but not a ton. I don’t think they were huge users of social media. Someone did say that since her birthday at the end of April he was using it more. I think Barry hasn’t been in the media because the media has been asked to back off/lay low by LE.

I fully agree with your generational analysis, and you explain it quite well.

My opinion on the news coverage differs. I don't believe anyone has asked the media to back off. Tonight on the Fox21 News in Colorado Springs, there are reports on two drownings, 2 carjackings, one hit-and-run with serious injury, one motorcycle crash fatality, one drive by shooting, one hostage taking and one bear following a woman into her house. That is before they round up the pandemic news, the social protests, the regional news, national news, the resumption of sports, weather, and openings of popular attractions. How does anyone think they can just dispatch a reporter and camera crew.......so they can squeeze in yet another report on the pretty lady in the high mountains that there is no new information about? As always, IMO
FOX21 News Colorado

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m definitely suspicious of the husband. Put him in front of a camera & it’s always going to be a disaster. The timeline does not look good for him. IMO, I also think he’s being advised to keep his mouth shut but then he talks to YouTube guy and that confuses me. I’m not ready to throw the book at him just yet although it’s close. I do keep settling on believing that he acts like SM is more of a ex wife. That was one takeaway from his video. That might not be fair however because people can act bizarre while under a tremendous amount of stress.

There’s a small part of me that thinks another known person could be a bad guy here.

I just think public silence is not a slam dunk for being guilty. I also don’t think you are implying that either.

You’re right. I’m not implying that. For me I’m suspicious due to a combination of things:

1. Extensive searches were conducted and after finding her bike and/or a “personal item”, they quickly turned their focus.
2. They believe an animal attack is unlikely.
3. The FBI and CBI are involved in the investigation.
4. There seems to be antagonism on the part of BM and his family toward LE.
5. This is a criminal investigation.
6. They got a search warrant - thus they have probable cause.
7. They searched the family residence extensively, going in with evidence collection equipment.
8. No one actually saw SM riding her bike, that we know of.
9. A neighbor called the police, apparently after the daughters asked her to or indicated to her that they couldn’t locate their mom.
10. A job site where BM had worked was also extensively searched, including with sonar.
11. LE asked for neighbors’ surveillance video dating back to May 8th.
12. BM and his camp have been pretty silent and don’t seem that active in trying to find Suzanne.

It's so interesting the LE will be sharing information with residents while canvassing, but not in public statements.

"On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case." - Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff

It's so interesting the LE will be sharing information with residents while canvassing, but not in public statements.

"On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case." - Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff

I'd love to know which neighborhoods they start in, and what their chief list of questions might be.

I doubt they shared much, just doing their due diligence. I bet they have a lot figured out. More than we’d ever want to know, sadly. At this point it’s deciding if they have enough evidence to pursue a no body case. I really hope they do. I was a fence sitter, but I’ve been tipped to one side.. I think ;):(

True.. but let’s say a husband was all of these things and more, and yet ‘innocent.’ How does a bad husband respond when his wife disappears?

That’s also a good point. It can be true that a person of low character and/or someone who doesn’t love their mate or child, can also be innocent of their disappearance.

I think we saw that recently.

That’s also a good point. It can be true that a person of low character and/or someone who doesn’t love their mate or child, can also be innocent of their disappearance.

I think we saw that recently.
What about the Heidi Broussard case? IIRC there was abuse and he didn’t come off well in the media and we all (myself included) had him convicted. That’s one case that has caused me to fence sit more than I used to.

Also the Daniella Vian case :(

Was able to get into the NaMus site from a previous post .... ah, so it doesn't actually say she was last seen at La Beca Cafe, thought it actually said that, but it's just a random Google Earth marker, is it, dropped in the town of Salida, per chance? Back soon, gotta type some things.

@Itsapuzzle - I think I just did a google search and followed an image result for La Becca Cafe to the Francais review that cited 300 W Sacket. I don't see it now but I'll try another time when I have access to my VPN for the UK. Sorry!
No worries Seattle1, thanks, but as per my last post I reckon it's just a location drop marker indicating the town now, having looked at NaMus .... feel sorry for the person whose house is showing up in the street-view though, they might be a bit sour about that, hey! Thanks for your help, indebted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210