Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same with me. And 95% of checking in with my girls is via text...daily.
And I checked with many other friends and adult children(girls especially) check in with their parents(mostly moms) Nearly the same - my circle of friends But it’s my experience- the takeaway? I’m thinking there was no contact for many days with mom
JMO

And I checked with many other friends and adult children(girls especially) check in with their parents(mostly moms) Nearly the same - my circle of friends But it’s my experience- the takeaway? I’m thinking there was no contact for many days with mom
JMO
Anyone can mimic texts, though. I'm sure there were many that someone would be able to reference.
And yes, children of that age do text more often than call.

JMO
ITA, however part of that could be lousy cell service I suppose. I don't have children but my sisters text their kids....not necessarily call them nightly/daily.

I would love to know, especially in light of the pandemic and cancelled schools, if either or both the daughters were living there. If not, why not?

Last edited:
Anyone can mimic texts, though. I'm sure there were many that someone would be able to reference.
Yes of course whoever has control of her phone could do that - excellent point - so would anyone see anything odd in the response of SM if this is what happened ? We don’t know of course but you can bet LE has those records by now
JMO

JMO
Ive been trying to figure out what has been bothering me so much about the TD interview and I think I settled on something.

To me it wasnt so much that BM was mad at LE for trampling all over the evidence, it appeared to me he was more upset that LE did not see the scene as he interpreted it. Like with the tire facing a certain way and all that. He seemed very upset that LE didnt see the bike scene the same way he did.

Its ok to differ with LE but the other thing about it was he did not have one particular theory that he seemed to favor at the moment. It ranged from cougars, to wrecking and being disoriented and ending up in a river, to being abducted by a stranger who left foot prints and tire tracks. The thing that bothers me there is if you differ with LE I would think you would have had a particular theory you would favor. He was all over the place so why is he so mad at them when he did not have a particular single theory of his own of what likely happened to her.

I suppose he could have been just really mad at them for searching his home and taking his truck so maybe it was just built up frustration too.
I had the same feeling about it. BM put forth so many possibilities, from cat attack to hit and run to bike accident to ending up in the river. It was like choose your own adventure; only it was, choose your own demise.

I read an interview with the investigators who worked Kelsey Berreth’s case. Frazee’s cell phone records were key as it led them directly to Frazee’s girlfriend who implicated both him and herself. I assume warrants were issued for cell phone records in this case. In addition to creating a timeline and showing BM’s whereabouts, it will reveal who his contacts are. You never know where that leads.

JMO
Ive been trying to figure out what has been bothering me so much about the TD interview and I think I settled on something.

To me it wasnt so much that BM was mad at LE for trampling all over the evidence, it appeared to me he was more upset that LE did not see the scene as he interpreted it. Like with the tire facing a certain way and all that. He seemed very upset that LE didnt see the bike scene the same way he did.

Its ok to differ with LE but the other thing about it was he did not have one particular theory that he seemed to favor at the moment. It ranged from cougars, to wrecking and being disoriented and ending up in a river, to being abducted by a stranger who left foot prints and tire tracks. The thing that bothers me there is if you differ with LE I would think you would have had a particular theory you would favor. He was all over the place so why is he so mad at them when he did not have a particular single theory of his own of what likely happened to her.

I suppose he could have been just really mad at them for searching his home and taking his truck so maybe it was just built up frustration too.
I go with your last statement.
Put yourself in his shoes, and someone you love has disappeared. Break down every action we have seen.
I believe all kidnappings are similar, but the public never sees the whole process. He may have been advised not to offer reward, but insisted. There are just as many unknowns speaking to his innocence as guilt. IMO

I believe he IS innocent, and that he has been going over and over all the possibilities, for 21 days, realizing the only evidence that could have possibly helped find her has been destroyed due to the nature of the call out. LE and BM May actually have a somewhat civil relationship. He may have paused, because he realized how it sounded. I cut him some slack here. He looked and acted like an innocent man unable to rage at the person responsible.

My family watches LivePD, our Va cousins sucked us into it, because they watched it hoping to see our city. It is eye opening.
The officers have to deal w/ far worse than BM. He at least had a reason to be upset w/ the world. The compassion and patience LE show some of the most obnoxious characters, tells me this rolled off their back, while they continue to search for SM.
I think he went in the woods to rage, and his mother went w/ him to make sure he was OK JMO I wouldn’t let him out of sight.

Last, MHO he spoke w the guy, to find out what HE was up to.
I really hope my hubby never disappears, I think I’d be doing some of the same things.

I’m not LE, they may have been responsible for some of his actions, and the “too soon”may have come directly from their advisement. I’d probably have followed their lead.

This bothers me so much. "The key is the difference between factual guilt (what the defendant actually did) and legal guilt (what a prosecutor can prove). A good criminal defense lawyer asks not, “Did my client do it?” but rather, “Can the government prove that my client did it?” No matter what the defendant has done, he is not legally guilty until a prosecutor offers enough evidence to persuade a judge or jury to convict." quoted from Representing a Client the Lawyer Thinks Is Guilty

My question would be, ethically, how can a defense attorney rigorously defend someone who they know to be factually guilty, but they believe guilt cannot be proven in court of law. I seriously wonder how they sleep at night? Unless, that Defense Attorney lacks ethics? I would clearly not make an effective Defense Attorney!

I think about this often, especially with the advancements in DNA testing, etc. which IMHO make it easier to show factual and court-related guilt. Not trying to go off on a tangent, but this case brings it to the forefront of my mind.
Very well said..

It would have been black as pitch at 9 pm in that environment: no street lights, no ambient lighting from other residences or businesses. I don't know for certain, but I'm sure it would have been a waste of man power to search that environment after dark. If anything, finding a bike in those conditions based on BM's intel would have put him at the forefront of my POI for this disappearance.
Do you think then the bike was found before dark, before BM arrived? Then he is making up a story about what he observed which would be so easily verifiable and he is not smart to lie like that.

IDK. The sheriff may have used powerful flash lights or whatever they use to light up the area if the bike was finally discovered at night. And I have a feeling BM sort of led them there. A big mistake by BM. JMO

Dear @marylamby,

You are spot on when you say "anyone can mimic texts" - by way of reviewing all of the previous texts and patterns of speech. It would be easy to see how the owner of the phone usually responded to different individuals (daughters).

This could indeed have happened. Great thought!

RE: Why didn't BM want to call 911?

Can they get your wireless service to triangulate pretty quickly where you are when you call 911 from a cell phone?
Obviously his wireless service could tell LE that anyway, but maybe only with a search warrant (guess) - but if you call 911 from a cell phone, does the triangulation happen more quickly and with less red tape?
I never thought of it before, but since it seems to be a question du jour!

RE: Why didn't BM want to call 911?

Can they get your wireless service to triangulate pretty quickly where you are when you call 911 from a cell phone?
Obviously his wireless service could tell LE that anyway, but maybe only with a search warrant (guess) - but if you call 911 from a cell phone, does the triangulation happen more quickly and with less red tape?
I never thought of it before, but since it seems to be a question du jour!
If he'd called 911 himself, it would've pinpointed his whereabouts at that time. Nice thinking, alleyoop24.
It never made sense why he didn't call them himself. Or the neighbor.

Do you think then the bike was found before dark, before BM arrived? Then he is making up a story about what he observed which would be so easily verifiable and he is not smart to lie like that.

IDK. The sheriff may have used powerful flash lights or whatever they use to light up the area if the bike was finally discovered at night. And I have a feeling BM sort of led them there. A big mistake by BM. JMO

I believe the bike was found between the time SM was reported missing and BM arriving back home around 9 pm. I don't know who found the bike, LE, family members, or initial search party, if in fact there was one.

Although much of what BM does and says flags high for me, he may be the kind of guy (person) who inserts himself into a first person narrative because he thinks it carries more weight.

I believe the bike was found between the time SM was reported missing and BM arriving back home around 9 pm. I don't know who found the bike, LE, family members, or initial search party, if in fact there was one.

Although much of what BM does and says flags high for me, he may be the kind of guy (person) who inserts himself into a first person narrative because he thinks it carries more weight.
I agree with you about that but I can't help thinking that BM may have been watching the discovery of the bike, and if not he, someone else who forwarded the information.

I still have Almost daily contact with all my adult children and sisters - either a text, a quick call or a picture of a flower, kid, my garden, the dogs -car- Their choice so I have no idea how long it was between the last contact with family just like I have no idea of when she was last seen by anyone jmo

Same with me. And 95% of checking in with my girls is via text...daily.

I think it’s tough to generalize usual daily contact to an organized camping trip. ( I could be wrong but I recall this was with a church group or similar?)
When my kids have been on school or community trips, especially camping, phones are often not allowed or limited to certain times. It could be hey had limited opportunities to try and contactSM until on their way home. JMO

No, but I believe the LE call was made at 5:45pm or close to that, thanks to another member here.

Yes, you're correct and the reporting call time is established by LE, but I'm wondering about the order of phone calls between the girls, their Dad and the neighbor - the back and forth. Also, it could be that the neighbor and BM were speaking on the phone together while she was checking around the home and he had her call LE? It makes sense to me for him to be guiding her telling her where to look and what to look for.

I still don't think it's odd that a neighbor called LE instead of BM or the girls because she was actually, physically there and LE wants to know exactly what's going on at that moment to lead her to call and make a report. Otherwise, it's a near fruitless, frustrating game of telephone speaking to someone who isn't there, who hasn't been walking around the property or peering in the garage or house windows, who called whom and what led the neighbor to be there to check in the first place.

Someone upstream posted that it's possible/probable that the neighbor is a person of contact? Neighbors do this, especially when living in sparsely populated area like theirs. They're not completely out in the boonies, but close enough that if you screamed, your neighbors may or may not hear. Wherever we lived, we've always found a neighbor to trust with a key and contact information "just in case" and we live in suburbia.

I agree with you about that but I can't help thinking that BM may have been watching the discovery of the bike, and if not he, someone else who forwarded the information.

You mean you think he was already in the vicinity and not traveling from Denver? Like that guy in Survivor who hid in a palm tree listening to the castaways plotting their strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oakes