Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, you are still judging every action and every word from this POV; he is guilty.
I did not ask you to put on rosy colored glasses, I asked simply you remove the blue tinted.
I apologize if something challenged your theory.
There are still those here, who do have doubts.
I believe also we may be having lingering carry over from Letecia.
She threw out everything but the kitchen sink did it. Most of his MAY have been initiated by others.
BM has actually had a job and run a business, successfully. We have no evidence
disputing this. Letecia, not so much. We actually have much more evidence, that she has not held a job for lengthy periods of time.
BM has been happily married for 27 years, Letecia, no. We have evidence she was working toward #3
Big confusion here: we questioned repeatedly Al’s naivety staying in a marriage w/ Letecia. Yet we have numerous discussions about the hidden difficulties of leaving a 27 yr marriage, giving Suzanne a pass. some very true and heartbreaking, and some personal.
To continue to accept this theory, imo, is implying that Suzanne is weaker than Al. This particular speculation demeans Suzanne, perhaps her memory, also.
The only evidence we have is that of a stable,
Loving, happy marriage. IMO Suzanne is almost the antithesis of Leticia.

Al Stauch is that rare man who is big enough to be able to allow his emotions be on full display. However, when did he speak to the public? The military has always taught soldiers to be tough, with no emotional display. It is my opinion, there has been recent evidence this approach may be a component of PTSD.
IOW, tough under fire, does not need to carry over back home.
BM may not have that military training, to be tough, but when we look at him, we speculate he is not sincere.

The second video, IMO shows the progression from shock to desperation. BM isn’t throwing out one new theory, and he isn’t trying to throw blame anywhere. He is checking off the ones ruled out. He isn’t claiming his innocence. IIRC by this time, Letecia may have been on her way back to CO.
So take off the blue tints, because LE DOES have this case. It’s just not BM. Go back to BMs response, he seemed perplexed that TD thought he was still under suspicion, “they cleared me.”
Think about all the guilty spouses sleuthed here, IMO most would have been protesting their innocence, anywhere and everywhere. Why doesn’t BM? Because he knows he has not harmed her. A guilty man plotting his wife’s disappearance would have his defense nailed down, word for word.

Random stranger kidnappings actually aren’t rare. The rarity in this case is the risk factor.
Most predators know better than to drive vans. RVs may be the new vehicle of choice. They are everywhere. Once you cross BM off, and put the energy toward other options, you realize the hopelessness. that is what I saw in second video, realizing all the other options, while absolutely horrible(lion attack)May at least have answers.
I have followed the BM train for threads. I apologize for being the one hold out. Should the real evidence at trial be this sparse, I have far more than reasonable doubt.
I am also perplexed. Whatever side of the fence I am on, will not change SM or BMs future. Why is it so important to be right?
I will go right back into my personal community, among many happily married couples, sad.
Barry and Suzanne would have fitted right in.

Do we know what part of Denver he was working in?
It takes approx 40 mins to travel from one side of Columbia, Denver much larger city. traffic flowing smoothly. did he have to tie up loose end and hit the road? Or already on the road?
Feistyomi, you are not alone. Once I saw the TD video, I couldn't get it out of my thoughts that he wasn't responsible. It's upsetting, because it's not neat and tidy for me. She is gone, there is foul play. I think those are both facts. When I can't seem to get comfortable w/ Barry being guilty of murder, or being involved in any way, that only leaves some evil unknown......likely abduction. That is so horrific on every level. Your thoughts that LE does have a case, but it's just not BM takes that feeling down a notch or two. Ultimately, I am happy LE is portraying confidence.

RSABBM:

The truth matters.
The truth about what's happened to SM matters very much, indeed.

This isn't about "being right."
It isn't about what anyone thinks.

The truth is the truth.
It exists apart from anyone's opinion.

Listen, I'd love to be proven wrong about this case.
But feelings aren't facts.
And looking at the facts here, I'm seeing quite clearly that LE's actions reveal they're looking at BM.
If they're looking at BM, it's for a reason.

I agree with you about one thing, though:

Wherever people land in terms of their opinions about BM and his guilt or innocence, it won't change SM's future.

On account of, she doesn't have a future any more.

JMO.
Very well said. I agree that the truth is much more important than BM’s guilt or innocence. Innocent until proven guilty is a legal precept, WS isn’t a legal entity or part of the justice system. I am free to consider BM’s behavior suspicious and disturbing, until there comes to light something that contradicts my feelings; I will continue to question his suspicious actions.

I agree about the decals. Your post also brought some thoughts to mind: I live in a geographical area that contains several tiny towns of only a few hundred people each. Each little town has their own volunteer FD. A big incident will of course call on the volunteers from the other towns, but they are each their own group.

Which makes me wonder whether there is a VFD based in Maysville, and Poncha Springs has their own VFD? Or whether it's all based out of PS (assuming that Salida is separate and possibly even has a paid FD?).

I've wondered about this too. After several years on WS, I've been a bit surprised to see how many dazed/confused/wandering or laying-low/injured folks there are. Think the man who disappeared from a Canadian ski area and showed up in Sacramento, unaware how he got there. Or the couple in Marin who fell down a brushy steep slope and lay drinking from a mud puddle for four days until searchers finally found them alive? Or Amanda Eller in Hawaii who wandered the wrong direction for over two weeks, injured?

Assuming there was actually a bike ride, SM having crashed or otherwise experienced an accident and then wandered off dazed, or lay injured somewhere, seems WAAAY more likely than a random stranger abduction, and another zillion orders of magnitude more likely than an animal attack (unless an attack left her injured -- but not hauled her away).

So I would expect an innocent husband to be focused on finding her in the woods, or finding her wandering amnesiatic in the next town over, but he didn't seem to even mention that option.

The Chaffee county Fire Protection District has six fire stations, including one at Maysville. A description for each one is available by clicking on it's name at the link. Go over to the left of the page to click on Personnel to reach brief bios of the key people and information on their assignment location, The headquarters station is clearly Buena Vista. IMO
https://www.chaffeecountyfire.org/about-us/pages/stations

Last edited:
Another thing about the timing is, when was he planning to get back if there hadn’t been an emergency?

Was he in contact with his daughters about their safe travel, SM aside?

If he knew early on that the girls had gotten a late start, or were delayed, he didn’t think to contact SM and see how she’s spending her Mother’s Day unexpectedly alone?

So many questions...

MOO
Good questions. Maybe he had been in touch, told SM, and so she decided to go out again.
I don't think this, but something to consider.
Also, if he didn't get home until 9 on MD (is this verified?) perhaps he wasn't even planning on coming home that night so late.Perhaps he was planning on being back on the job early the next morning and just staying out there.
Inquisitive minds want to know.
moo

Not in NYC pandemic or not i swore the whole world had something to do. Just what i seen, seems like people were trying to stay busy regardless if there was a pandemic.

and regardless doesnt anyone think maybe he has to pack his stuff up before he heads back on the road?

I just dont think its fair people are quick to point fingers, everybody reaction will be different not as you expect.
<modsnip: personalizing> I suggest you take a look at the half dozen cameras for US 285S leading to Salida, Co. area to familiarize yourself with the actual traffic on the roads BM likely traveled -- any day of the week. I think you will be surprised. MOO

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Last edited by a moderator:
Good questions. Maybe he had been in touch, told SM, and so she decided to go out again.
I don't think this, but something to consider.
Also, if he didn't get home until 9 on MD (is this verified?) perhaps he wasn't even planning on coming home that night so late.Perhaps he was planning on being back on the job early the next morning and just staying out there.
Inquisitive minds want to know.
moo
Nothing about BM arriving around 9 pm is verified or corroborated. All we have is BM saying it happened. I've not read any MSM saying BM pulled up in my driveway on Sunday. TD's video has been out for a couple of weeks and nobody speaking up for BM.

Last edited:
If he'd called 911 himself, it would've pinpointed his whereabouts at that time. Nice thinking, alleyoop24.
It never made sense why he didn't call them himself. Or the neighbor.

Additionally, even if his apprehension was borne of concern reaching the hometown or Salida 911, this explanation holds little water. As a volunteer firefighter he knows how to reach his fellow firefighters and local LE. He could have asked a friend to check on her or reached LE (CCSO) to assist. IMO this also casts doubt on his story. Asking J, the elderly neighbor was another leg on the stool of his defense he is building, or trying to build.

MOO

Respectfully, you are still judging every action and every word from this POV; he is guilty.
I did not ask you to put on rosy colored glasses, I asked simply you remove the blue tinted.
I apologize if something challenged your theory.
There are still those here, who do have doubts.
I believe also we may be having lingering carry over from Letecia.
She threw out everything but the kitchen sink did it. Most of his MAY have been initiated by others.
BM has actually had a job and run a business, successfully. We have no evidence
disputing this. Letecia, not so much. We actually have much more evidence, that she has not held a job for lengthy periods of time.
BM has been happily married for 27 years, Letecia, no. We have evidence she was working toward #3
Big confusion here: we questioned repeatedly Al’s naivety staying in a marriage w/ Letecia. Yet we have numerous discussions about the hidden difficulties of leaving a 27 yr marriage, giving Suzanne a pass. some very true and heartbreaking, and some personal.
To continue to accept this theory, imo, is implying that Suzanne is weaker than Al. This particular speculation demeans Suzanne, perhaps her memory, also.
The only evidence we have is that of a stable,
Loving, happy marriage. IMO Suzanne is almost the antithesis of Leticia.

Al Stauch is that rare man who is big enough to be able to allow his emotions be on full display. However, when did he speak to the public? The military has always taught soldiers to be tough, with no emotional display. It is my opinion, there has been recent evidence this approach may be a component of PTSD.
IOW, tough under fire, does not need to carry over back home.
BM may not have that military training, to be tough, but when we look at him, we speculate he is not sincere.

The second video, IMO shows the progression from shock to desperation. BM isn’t throwing out one new theory, and he isn’t trying to throw blame anywhere. He is checking off the ones ruled out. He isn’t claiming his innocence. IIRC by this time, Letecia may have been on her way back to CO.
So take off the blue tints, because LE DOES have this case. It’s just not BM. Go back to BMs response, he seemed perplexed that TD thought he was still under suspicion, “they cleared me.”
Think about all the guilty spouses sleuthed here, IMO most would have been protesting their innocence, anywhere and everywhere. Why doesn’t BM? Because he knows he has not harmed her. A guilty man plotting his wife’s disappearance would have his defense nailed down, word for word.

Random stranger kidnappings actually aren’t rare. The rarity in this case is the risk factor.
Most predators know better than to drive vans. RVs may be the new vehicle of choice. They are everywhere. Once you cross BM off, and put the energy toward other options, you realize the hopelessness. that is what I saw in second video, realizing all the other options, while absolutely horrible(lion attack)May at least have answers.
I have followed the BM train for threads. I apologize for being the one hold out. Should the real evidence at trial be this sparse, I have far more than reasonable doubt.
I am also perplexed. Whatever side of the fence I am on, will not change SM or BMs future. Why is it so important to be right?
I will go right back into my personal community, among many happily married couples, sad.
Barry and Suzanne would have fitted right in.

Do we know what part of Denver he was working in?
It takes approx 40 mins to travel from one side of Columbia, Denver much larger city. traffic flowing smoothly. did he have to tie up loose end and hit the road? Or already on the road?

Zero evidence that BM and SM had a very happy marriage; we have one vague statement by BM's uncle, who may not even know them other than seeing them once a year at a family picnic. And one comment by an unnamed relative who claims Barry was in charge. (Paraphrased.) Oh and social media pictures which mean absolutely nothing.

Leticia filled her social media with Happy Family pictures. So did Shannan Watts.

I keep remembering that interview Scott Peterson did,I think it was with Diane Sawyer. He described his marriage as "amazing." Yet he called his mistress from the candlelight vigil held for his wife.

I'm still waiting to hear about all those searches BM did with his "team." Including his buddy who served 400 tours. Surely that eager reporter, Lauren Scharf? Is that her name? She must have someone on speed dial in town who would have let her know about any search activity. She's been pretty thorough in covering the case with what little sparse news there has been.

Yet not a peep. It must be a very clandestine search.

MOO

BM spoke on this with TD on video. He said he had a conversation with SM, asking it is ok for him to work on MD since the girls would be home. It wasn’t just any other day, according to BM himself.

Also, I’ve been married 27+ years and it’s not just any other day here.

MOO

MOO Unfortunately, I don't believe that conversation with Suzanne ever took place. If BM was truly concerned about SM being alone on MD why did he go to Denver just to prepare for the job the coming Monday, he could have gone on Saturday?

For the 911 call to take place at 5:45 it meant the girls must have texted several times before they called the neighbour. If they started texting around 1 pm and ever half hour after that, to say they were going to be late, it begs the question, when did they leave the campground to get back in time for a nice MD visit with mom? If they had no control over when they left the campground if they were with an organized group, surely they would have advised their mom accordingly. And that might have been before BM 'asked' SM if he could leave.

Unless there was some huge accident or wildfire or a complete breakdown of the vehicle they were traveling in occurred, wouldn't everyone involved in the camping trip advise their own family members of the reason why they were so late?

We have no idea what time they arrived back in Maysville. It could have been after BM arrived.

The timelines don't make sense to me. IMO

One angle I have considered is SM was considering filing for divorce during June or July. The timing revolving around being healthy and strong relative to recent years and her daughters being at home or nearby for the summer. Total speculation on my part and MOO. I'm thinking her most close friends would have info on if this was a possibility or maybe her daughters would have a clue. Also, I've wondered if she might have been wearing one of those modern exercise watches which could provide some clues.

The bike had to be found soon.

But before that, somebody had to find SM missing first.
The daughters were running late, won't be home any time soon.

What to do?
He could have made futile text attempts to SM himself. Call 911.
But that wouldn't work. Because he wouldn't be able to say the bike is missing also.

Because it's the missing bike he wanted discovered, not SM missing. The person who calls 911 had to say 'Her bike is missing'. He needed someone who can say that unequivocally. By actually witnessing the missing bike. The daughters were not home. He was not home. But the neighbor was. So the neighbor calling 911-method was chosen.

JMO
Excellent! He used the neighbor as part of plan B.

Let's just suppose that everything BM said about being in Denver is true, that he did have a job there and he went down early to set things up. If he was actually at the site getting things ready, he may not have just been able to leave right away. Some things may have had to be taken care of first. Personally, I think he was in Denver because he needed his personal gps data to support his alibi, but I don't believe the job part.
And, in his defense, the urgency doesn't set in right away. Who thinks that as soon as they can't contact their spouse something terrible has happened? He may have thought she would turn up any minute and she'll call me and tell me not to worry; but I'll just start cleaning up in case I need to get home.
Personally I think LE has some info about BM and they are laser focused on him; however, my mind is always open. It is literally so open stuff falls out.

Two thoughts! There are some really, great insightful posts here. I hope that they are called into the tip line. A few come to mind, the cafe BM was last seen in, was SM with him? The post about statistics on lion attacks and BM being a big game hunter. So many great more posts.
I don’t think he committed the crime at home. He knew sniffer dogs would figure that out. My gut he brought her to a romantic wilderness place for and before Mother’s Day ... This is heart breaking and terrifying.

Last edited:
We are pondering whether or not this was a happy marriage. What if SM thought it was, and then found out about a philandering BLM? Could there have been an argument, a threat to leave? Which BLM wasn’t prepared for? Just tossing it out there. Plenty of cheaters go on and on about their fabulous spouses, all the while slinking around. Could go to motive if someone thought their facade would crumble, along with at least half of their finances.

Everyday is Mothers Day! Around here!
It just doesnt take for it to be Mothers Day to get a call from loved ones to ask how im doing, that is done everyday!!!

Youre making it seem like Mothers Day is like your Wedding Day.. this big ol event!

Mothers Day is typical and relaxing.

We're the same here, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day - not extra special because of how we live our lives, every day is precious and becomes more so as we age. We kidlets may be "senior citizens", but she is our Mom and she's always special.

I'll add that since both kidlets are girls, it could have been appreciated as a totally-girls' day leaving everyone to be fine with BM not being there. We don't know what time the girls were scheduled to be there, so it's possible that SM wouldn't have been alone that long if there'd been no delay. My Mom's DH has no problem leaving us girls (*sigh* even though we're in our 50s and 60s now) alone to laugh and play like loons while he leaves us alone all day. The perfect guilt-free day of golf and BBQ and buddies. BM was working in preparation for a long-scheduled cement pour and with the girls coming for Mom's Day, no problem.

* I love your choice of name! :D

We're the same here, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day - not extra special because of how we live our lives, every day is precious and becomes more so as we age. We kidlets may be "senior citizens", but she is our Mom and she's always special.

I'll add that since both kidlets are girls, it could have been appreciated as a totally-girls' day leaving everyone to be fine with BM not being there. We don't know what time the girls were scheduled to be there, so it's possible that SM wouldn't have been alone that long if there'd been no delay. My Mom's DH has no problem leaving us girls (*sigh* even though we're in our 50s and 60s now) alone to laugh and play like loons while he leaves us alone all day. The perfect guilt-free day of golf and BBQ and buddies. BM was working in preparation for a long-scheduled cement pour and with the girls coming for Mom's Day, no problem.

* I love your choice of name! :D

BBM

Yes, BM says that the girls were spending the day with her.

The question is, when did BM realize that the girls were running so late that they wouldn’t be spending MD with her, and she was spending the day alone? That’s the part that makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221