Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm
Hmmm.
Well.... who knows ? ;)
Not saying he did and we also don't know if everything BM has said is the truth.
The problem with the truth is that it keeps changing in Suzanne's case.

Wildly differing stories are never going to be looked at favorably. :rolleyes:

That's like someone saying the reason they're home late from work is because of : stopping at the bar, visiting a coworker, car became stuck in the ditch , swerved and went off the road due to another driver, car was low on oil, asked to stay and work overtime, etc.

It's not that different from a mountain lion (per the TD interview), went off the road and washed away in the creek, went biking and was kidnapped, etc.

As far as their internet... they wouldn't necessarily need a dish but could buy or rent a modem and there you go --high speed internet.
I haven't seen a link for spotty or no internet service at the Morphews in msm but will go and look around.

Iirc, the only mention of little to no internet cell phone service was for the daughters whilst away on their camping trip.
MOO

I agree that floating multiple stories is an unpleasant tactic, and often the cornerstone and foundation of manipulating public (and private) opinion.

Sometimes, the future suspect/convict is fairly subtle in giving overlapping versions, with commonalities, to various people, emphasizing slightly different things that can be walked back or walked forward as needed.

Of course, if an innocent person truly does not know what happened to a missing loved one, they would put everything on the table. Then, they would act according to the most likely theories. They would explain and ask the public's help. In finding the hit and run driver or the mountain lion or the kidnapper.

Everyday is Mothers Day! Around here!
It just doesnt take for it to be Mothers Day to get a call from loved ones to ask how im doing, that is done everyday!!!

Youre making it seem like Mothers Day is like your Wedding Day.. this big ol event!

Mothers Day is typical and relaxing.

No. Not like a wedding but for many of us Mother’s Day is one of the most important family days in the year, after Christmas, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, Easter.

Going out to eat and/or on a special outing, taking weekend trips, and spending a bunch of money (Americans spend about TWENTY FIVE BILLION each year on Mother’s Day) aren’t atypical things people do. Not everyone, of course. Some people’s style is more to just relax. But for many people it’s a key holiday.

I have an idea - remember writing 101 - school when you had to write about whatever topic - whether you necessarily agreed with it or not - what if there was a ‘theme’ day of sorts (or hour) where even those who believe *whomever* did *whatever* had to look elsewhere...smart minds could find something that finds SM. o_O:)
I do! Great idea! Well it was 102 for me, but we had to argue for something we believed in and then argue against that same thing... it taught me a lot ... I’m failing miserably in using that technique in this case ... ugh! I was hoping one of the fence sitters or those who completely believe BM is innocent could turn my mind ...

According to David Paulides, the biggest cluster of missing people in CO is in RMNP...though there are cases scattered across the state. There is also a cluster in the Carson NF area in New Mexico.
Oh, THOSE clusters. I’m going to file them in my last hope file, not ruling it out, just at the bottom of my lists.

Yes I listened to a podcast about the Hacking case, and Dateline covered it, I think.
Didn't want to digress too much. :)
Holy cow.
There are some similarities !!!!!

The calling of 911 by the neighbor possibly at BM's behest.
The "She never returned from (in Suzanne's case --her bike ride)..."
Lori wanted out.
Just some chills here atm. :eek:
MOO

Mark Hacking also ran naked through the streets and was admitted to a mental hospital. Maybe he tried to play being a mental case. Didn't worked out for him legally though.

Yes she wrote a note saying she wanted a divorce. I mean talk about being manipulative. Hacking made everything up about his life.

I think someone NEEDED the bike to be discovered before sunset. To fit the narrative.
JMO.
I’ve been pondering that very thing ... would it have mattered if girls came home first and discovered her missing? If so, why?
and ... Why would the narrative change if bike wasn’t found until the next day or even in the dark that night? I may be just tired or having a blonde moment... more details please. TIA.

Not in NYC pandemic or not i swore the whole world had something to do. Just what i seen, seems like people were trying to stay busy regardless if there was a pandemic.

and regardless doesnt anyone think maybe he has to pack his stuff up before he heads back on the road?

I just dont think its fair people are quick to point fingers, everybody reaction will be different not as you expect.

I disagree that most were quick to point fingers. For me, learning about the case and mostly LE’s focus is what has caused me to be suspicious.

That and the statistics. Only about 10% of women homicide victims are killed by people they don’t know. And how much do you want to bet a large majority of that ten percent are homeless or prostitutes due to being more at risk of violence?

No. Not like a wedding but for many of us Mother’s Day is one of the most important family days in the year, after Christmas, Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, Easter.

Going out to eat and/or on a special outing, taking weekend trips, and spending a bunch of money (Americans spend about TWENTY FIVE BILLION each year on Mother’s Day) aren’t atypical things people do. Not everyone, of course. Some people’s style is more to just relax. But for many people it’s a key holiday.
I always get served Egg McMuffin for my Mother's day breakfast. This tradition started many years ago when we were on the road on Mother's Day and I had a craving for Egg McMuffin. DH had to look for a McDonald. This tradition is very special to me.

Ive considered all of this... but it only makes sense to me IF he had NOT encouraged the call to 911, which he said he did in the TD interview.
If he suspected she needed time away ... why call 911? Wouldn’t you give it 24 hrs at least?
Which makes me suspect she had been “out of pocket” for longer than we think. I go back something that was said in the beginning of all this ... that neighbor saw/found SM bike when she was looking for her...
Then the 911 call makes sense and I am back to the drawing board and asking, “What happened to SM?”
Did she leave her bike in the ditch hoping others would suspect she was kidnapped or attacked by a lion?
Everything I’ve read about her, that I see in her eyes... tells me she did not leave her children without a word. A spiritual awakening after cancer doesn’t cause a woman to walk away from her children, maybe her husband, but not her children.
So either he is responsible for her absence or someone else is. Imo.
Would a kidnapper stage a scene? Would a stranger go to a lot of trouble to hide his tracks?
By now, if she’s out there deceased ... the evidence of murder on her is disappearing ... that’s what causes urgency in me for something to break. I do not like it when murderers get away with murder.

I too remember it being said the neighbor found the bike.

Which makes me view BM's video story differently. I wish we knew what happened.

data=EY6mJfWZf1SZOSkTAOA1MK4dUThoDkllW9cIAPaREBR1ZIs5eGyMTWiOaEIYRBPwckl1AdzeoZnyyDTdIA0BD-8GGGVFjO09JOY9SmpEyubBLYxwhoHJxdHtu9r3pfzw2LIp2lOFLkmUsCXRBxfEnFYXrI43-2u5hBlGFtixLmhmdSf3XLgzIvY7m52X,dfKd3csWyYpC4ME7WJLwXbyIC5QPNSbveEdA4ff6GrxoE4oADYr02paNsTPHYPGrDoxnLcMq8N1frdNGmNppHW_GWozsfvtRyht0iQPs00EWpy6QCyLMCpqlENtMtndjyNvNhccbIofQH1_545rK7IS5C7oPOcBlsiReZzLWBBPAib5n4mob3fOgqm8CSEGzWuHQWEQNnbaYl8Mdm19sUudz-lE5UB40_l0rIEDHeyYwbha1rIniPtWtQt-A75SN9OzaW0eWVSzHVbR4iiQ0vA9PhphxRrf0ciniIUl1i5Fcu-t-lhn5VyPoIUbKdgkmRFCTxFjrRAeZU9w6Xdzx87EmkcmpQiWrzwMlREFT6xK2wuOt95eCjXYnys8xWg9ChCc3R4l10U4v

8 h 52 min (515.2 mi) via I-80 W

According to BM, SM had plans to spend the day with her children that were expected to return home from another state.
In fact, he used this as his reasoning for going away on his own to an alleged job in Denver and that SM was in full agreement with his plan.

Knowing that Salida to only the border of Idaho is not less than 8-9 hour drive (500+ miles away), the distance alone is significant enough where you'd know far in advance if you're going to arrive later than expected. Simply oversleeping could account for whether you arrive late evening or not until the next day!

Personally, I don't believe there was any plan for SM to have company on mother's day and it weighs heavy on my heart that her daughters most likely texted SM all day believing they'd see her very late night if not within the next following days. MOO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Let's just suppose that everything BM said about being in Denver is true, that he did have a job there and he went down early to set things up. If he was actually at the site getting things ready, he may not have just been able to leave right away. Some things may have had to be taken care of first. Personally, I think he was in Denver because he needed his personal gps data to support his alibi, but I don't believe the job part.
This is a good point. I hope LE has also looked at the mileage and GPS on SM's vehicle and any other vehicles owned by them or their company.

It appears in this photo that she wears an Apple Watch which I’ve been assuming that she did ... Most people I know wear something to track their exercise.
It’s difficult for me to believe that she wasn’t wearing it.
I wear mine when I go walking on our property, it shows my route as well as distance, heart rate etc ...
I got mine right after I slipped and fell while walking one day... so I could be found if something happened to me, plus I could call 911 if I needed.
Photo at this link:
1 month since Suzanne Morphew vanished: Investigators canvassing Chaffee County community Wednesday

Attachments

• 046D4841-C5B6-4EE0-A6F8-060CBEBD5FDD.jpeg
    046D4841-C5B6-4EE0-A6F8-060CBEBD5FDD.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 55
I’ve been pondering that very thing ... would it have mattered if girls came home first and discovered her missing? If so, why?
and ... Why would the narrative change if bike wasn’t found until the next day or even in the dark that night? I may be just tired or having a blonde moment... more details please. TIA.

The reason the bike needs to be found (in theory) is that if someone happened by that bike-used dirt road and saw the bike, they might steal it. Then, there'd be no proof to the story that Suzanne went on a bike ride.

If it is true that the girls or anyone else believed that Suzanne 'always' went for her ride on Sunday mornings then "attended church" (which was online at the time), that would mean she'd been missing since about 9 am or earlier on Sunday morning. If the original "abduction theory" posited in the youtube video by BM had gotten traction with LE or anyone else, then the abductor had a big lead time and would...be far away?

Something like that. But if the bike hadn't been found, then Suzanne could have been in a much larger area, the search couldn't have started and concluded within X miles from the bike, police would have had far more searching to do. Perhaps that's not what the stager wanted, especially given that financial arrangements needed to be undertaken soon. A nation-wide BOLO for Suzanne is, perhaps, not what the perp wanted.

Often, when the cell phones can't make a connection, you can still text. It's been this way for so many years. In fact, we just had this problem two days ago with the phones. TMobile was absolutely not connecting outgoing or incoming calls. We have Verizon, a relative has TMobile. No phone connection either way, but we were able to text for hours. *shrugs* I can't speak to what works in the CO mountains though, maybe someone else can let us know.

Exactly! When discussing cell phone service, we are talking about two different aspects at the same time.
The first aspect is the coverage of the various carriers cells, usually mounted on towers. Each cell has a "footprint" of what coverage it is designed to produce.
I posted the actual engineering cell maps for the eastern slope of Monarch Pass very early in this thread. There are only two cells which provide coverage. A Verizon cell is intended solely to provide coverage in the highway all of the way up the pass, and almost nothing else. In the engineering drawings, SM's house is covered, but her neighbor's is not. Actual reception varies quite a bit, so I'm not saying the neighbor can't make a call.......I'm just saying Verizon didn't get her in the coverage as it was calculated in the engineering office.
A,T&T has a broad area coverage cell located on a mountain away from Highway 50, that provides spots of coverage up the pass. Travelers often experience a dropped call, and then moments later discover that they can call again. That is either passing back and forth between dead spots, or more likely The Verizon tower pinging the phone when it appears with no connection to another tower.
In actual reception, It appears that SM's house has good cellular coverage. Calling, texting or whatever should be reliable. That doesn't mean that any of the residents have Verizon or A,T&T as their carrier, it means that their calls route through the Verizon or A,T&T tower.

I do not know about landline service. I've studied Google Earth quite a bit for the area, and don't see any evidence so far that there is landline service available........but I'm not going to bet on that just yet. The lot was first sold in 2008, which is well beyond the "golden age" of rural telephone cooperatives extending lines to every possible home location.

As for choice of cellular carrier, in the Rocky mountains, Verizon dominates the local carrier market. A,T&T is a distant second. My guess, though, is that SM and the other members of her family retained their Indiana phones. I think most people who move take their phone service with them, anymore.
This is all my opinion. IMO

Last edited:
Ive considered all of this... but it only makes sense to me IF he had NOT encouraged the call to 911, which he said he did in the TD interview.
If he suspected she needed time away ... why call 911? Wouldn’t you give it 24 hrs at least?
Which makes me suspect she had been “out of pocket” for longer than we think. I go back something that was said in the beginning of all this ... that neighbor saw/found SM bike when she was looking for her...
Then the 911 call makes sense and I am back to the drawing board and asking, “What happened to SM?”
Did she leave her bike in the ditch hoping others would suspect she was kidnapped or attacked by a lion?
Everything I’ve read about her, that I see in her eyes... tells me she did not leave her children without a word. A spiritual awakening after cancer doesn’t cause a woman to walk away from her children, maybe her husband, but not her children.
So either he is responsible for her absence or someone else is. Imo.
Would a kidnapper stage a scene? Would a stranger go to a lot of trouble to hide his tracks?
By now, if she’s out there deceased ... the evidence of murder on her is disappearing ... that’s what causes urgency in me for something to break. I do not like it when murderers get away with murder.

Some good points. I mean I had considered that she walked away. It has happened. But again I go back to LE’s focus. And stats.

I won’t 100% rule it out but you make a good point that someone who battled cancer twice, and won, would not choose to hurt her daughters in this way.

Animal attack is not on my list. I won’t say it’s impossible but as others have stated evidence of an animal attack would be fairly easy to find. Including her body. And LE have stated that’s unlikely.

Stranger abduction.

There have been a few cases where the killer hits the target with his car, as she rides her bike. I don’t know what happened to the bike, though. Was it left there, hidden or taken with the woman?

However, if the bike was leaning against a tree (?) that seems sort of unlikely. I don’t believe we’ve seen carefully placed bikes in the previous cases. And no sign of blood or paint scrapes on the bike? More unlikely.

I’d also be more apt to think an abductor would go after a woman jogging, than biking.

The bike found so quickly is interesting.

As to the creek, it looks to be knee deep in the pictures I've seen (recent photos posted by various people). It looks to have deeper parts where a person might be up to their hips and it's flowing pretty good right now. Would be cold. But not as cold as the actual river, which also looks fairly shallow but, after the dam, eventually is strong enough and fast flowing enough to allow for a brisk local business in whitewater rafting.

Here are pictures of the South Alabama (further downstream - about 15 miles from the Morphew residence) in summer:

Salida

FYI - the river that parallels 50 near Maysville is the South Arkansas, which doesn't join the Arkansas until east of Salida. The S. Arkansas stays pretty small. It's the Arkansas that gets all the tourists, rafters, and pictures. That doesn't change your conclusion, though. It would be very unlikely to get far on the S. Arkansas, presuming you/something made it past the dam/s somehow. But once you or something were in the main Arkansas, you could go a very long way.

The Arkansas is next to both 285 to the north and 50 to the East, which covers both ways you'd get out of the mountains to go East.

INTERNET/CELL - Probably just satellite that far edit: WEST not east :D of Salida. High speed wired internet is not available all the way up the pass, I just can't remember where it ends - I think it ends around the eastern edge of Maysville a few miles from where the M's house is. The "big" part of Maysville. The wired internet carrier is CenturyLink. You can get cell phone service via your home wifi (e.g., Verizon over wifi) so if you are connected to the internet via wifi and someone calls or texts your cell, you get the message just as normal. But cell service away from your wifi is spotty. There are some places that just by experience you know where you can get it, and sometimes it's a surprise. Satellite internet is terrible for things like streaming and gaming, passable for things like YouTube, etc, and decent for just regular web browsing, email, etc.

I'm in the area a lot. No, I don't know the Ms, LE, or anything interesting, I'm just familiar with the geography and some logistics. The case just grabbed my interest because of location.

Last edited:
data=EY6mJfWZf1SZOSkTAOA1MK4dUThoDkllW9cIAPaREBR1ZIs5eGyMTWiOaEIYRBPwckl1AdzeoZnyyDTdIA0BD-8GGGVFjO09JOY9SmpEyubBLYxwhoHJxdHtu9r3pfzw2LIp2lOFLkmUsCXRBxfEnFYXrI43-2u5hBlGFtixLmhmdSf3XLgzIvY7m52X,dfKd3csWyYpC4ME7WJLwXbyIC5QPNSbveEdA4ff6GrxoE4oADYr02paNsTPHYPGrDoxnLcMq8N1frdNGmNppHW_GWozsfvtRyht0iQPs00EWpy6QCyLMCpqlENtMtndjyNvNhccbIofQH1_545rK7IS5C7oPOcBlsiReZzLWBBPAib5n4mob3fOgqm8CSEGzWuHQWEQNnbaYl8Mdm19sUudz-lE5UB40_l0rIEDHeyYwbha1rIniPtWtQt-A75SN9OzaW0eWVSzHVbR4iiQ0vA9PhphxRrf0ciniIUl1i5Fcu-t-lhn5VyPoIUbKdgkmRFCTxFjrRAeZU9w6Xdzx87EmkcmpQiWrzwMlREFT6xK2wuOt95eCjXYnys8xWg9ChCc3R4l10U4v

8 h 52 min (515.2 mi) via I-80 W

According to BM, SM had plans to spend the day with her children that were expected to return home from another state.
In fact, he used this as his reasoning for going away on his own to an alleged job in Denver and that SM was in full agreement with his plan.

Knowing that Salida to only the border of Idaho is not less than 8-9 hour drive (500+ miles away), the distance alone is significant enough where you'd know far in advance if you're going to arrive later than expected. Simply oversleeping could account for whether you arrive late evening or not until the next day!

Personally, I don't believe there was any plan for SM to have company on mother's day and it weighs heavy on my heart that her daughters most likely texted SM all day believing they'd see her very late night if not within the next following days. MOO

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Yes, something about that story is hinky to me. Hope I’m using that word correctly.

We have kids in this age range. Typically, they will text with one of us—“leaving now. ETA ___” sort of thing if they are driving far. If I don’t hear from them, I ask my H if he’s gotten a text. And vice versa.

What is curious to me here is that there seemed to be no successful communication between parents the girls before 5 pm while the girls are on a road trip. If I’m dad, and I know my girls are driving 7 hours, and I didn’t get any updates from them...I’d text mom and see if she’s heard from them. One way or another, I think there are enough reasons (mother’s Day, kids on the road) that most families would exchange some communication before 5 pm. Something is weird to me.

MOO

I always get served Egg McMuffin for my Mother's day breakfast. This tradition started many years ago when we were on the road on Mother's Day and I had a craving for Egg McMuffin. DH had to look for a McDonald. This tradition is very special to me.

That’s cute!

I guess we could look at Suzanne’s past mother’s days on social media and see if she posted anything about what was typical for her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82