Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From experience, can confirm this.

FYI - this is very good information to know if you are ever stuck in an elevator.
No phone, but text still works. You can all thank me later....
Yup...and why Text-to-911 federal and state legislation has made such significant progress since 2013!

FCC rules require all wireless carriers and other providers of text messaging applications in the United States to deliver emergency texts to all public safety answering points (PSAPs) that request them.

If a call center requests text-to-911 service, text messaging providers must deliver the service in that area within six months.

Text to 911: What You Need To Know

Understood. I still think the digging up of a job site is super telling. I can’t recall any case in the past where the search was that extensive of a suspect but the suspect was innocent. Even with the examples people have given me. I don’t see one that’s comparable.

But I’m still open. It will be interesting to see what comes out and happens next.
This. 100%. JMO

I thought so, too.
Until some more thinking...and speculating.
Using the neighbor could've been Plan A always.

The plan: He would be in Denver. The girls would be heading home. They are to contact Mom to pick them up when they arrive at certain location. Mom doesn't reply when they let her know arrival time.

A slurry of phone calls expected to begin between BM, the daughters and the neighbor (alibi). Manipulation.

JMO and Hypothetical
It is very possible this is what took place. As long as the neighbor was his alibi it worked out well for him. JMO.

^^sbbm

After spending many years in Alaska, I accept that the vast majority of users can rely on relatively stable cell/internet service, with infrequent outages, and where complaints are mostly limited to connection speed -- and contracts.

Brilliant posts -- thanks for attesting to your hands-on experience of the surrounding area and that the imperfections in service are what they are, period.

And if you wait long enough, a solution will evolve-- if ever so slow-- without the need to remove a canyon!
I meant to also say that in many parts of the west, Verizon is aggressively adding "mini cells" or boosters that basically take in the calls within a 5 mile range (less mountains and valleys), and re-format the calls to reach the Verizon towers. They can literally hang one of these on the side of a house, providing 5G service to anyone in that little subdivision area. They are also great for breaking out of blockage by geographic barriers. We have no way of determining if these are in use in the Maysville area.

BM's cellphone was seized in the beginning, so hopefully these records have given the investigators a lot of useful information.

With all these past cases, about evidence nailing the POI from cell phones, wouldn't you plan ahead,
so your phone, car GPS etc don't implicate you?
In your mind, if pre planned for someone to be missing, you would be very careful, making sure, these items cannot implicate you.
Therefore not carrying your phone at all times, for many periods beforehand, so it appears to be a routine habit: explained by not wishing to be disturbed.
MOO.

Think about this case in comparison to the Mollie Tibbets case. Mollie disappeared while jogging.

The boyfriend she stayed with was out of town on the evening she went missing.

For weeks, the family AND the boyfriend and friends spoke out, keeping her story in the headlines for all to see.

Mollie’s father and even some LE thought perhaps she had been abducted by someone she knew.

The reward started for $1000 by Crime Stoppers. Within weeks the reward grew to $300,000.

Guess who kept showing up? The boyfriend, her brothers, her dad, her male friends, none of them hiding behind carefully crafted 30 second “commercials.” All stood united, not in fear of how they might appear on camera. (For God’s sake think how hard Heidi Broussard’s boyfriend had to try to keep the secret that he’d seen video of Heidi leaving in a car....he STILL went in front of cameras.)

And who followed those men, who by circumstance and relation would automatically need to be vetted as suspects...Law Enforcement!

Law Enforcement did not remain silent! They begged the public for information. With Mollie, Crime Stoppers, Iowa Missing Persons, Iowa DCI, and FBI came together VISIBLY. The County Sheriff went as far as to say of her brothers and boyfriend that they were cleared as suspects.

It was no secret. They couldn’t find Mollie and needed help (information).

When LE wants to blow it up, they do. All over town, all over billboards, all over morning news, and all over social media.

LE has kept a lid on this for a reason. Had anyone been “cleared,” in Suzanne’s disappearance, that person should be free to shout from the roof tops, just like all of the men in Mollie’s life, who were cleared, and shouted out for her.

I'll bet many of the men/women who had affairs before the pandemic were "home free" but during the pandemic, that would be a very difficult thing to keep secret unless you turned off your phone. I can imagine the "other woman / man" continually barraging a phone with calls or messages of love. ;) moo
Ah, that's a good point PaulaDC, hadn't thought of that ..... h'mmm

Denver Fire Training Center - 5280Fire
This is possibly the place he was at for the training he received that weekend, if he was there at the time the call was made and when he left for home I don't know.

But I took the route from that training center:

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

BM told TD on youtube that he arrived Maysville around 9 pm.

Respectfully, I believe the Daily Mail alone was responsible for the rumor that BM was attending fire training on Sunday, May 10, -- a rumor that BM denies, and corroborated by his Fire Chief (all sponsored training suspended due to COVID19).

According to BM, he was busy setting up a landscape project on Sunday, for his crew to begin on Monday.

Think about this case in comparison to the Mollie Tibbets case. Mollie disappeared while jogging.

For weeks, the family AND the boyfriend and friends spoke out, keeping her story in the headlines for all to see.

Mollie’s father and even some LE thought perhaps she had been abducted by someone she knew.

The reward started for $1000 by Crime Stoppers. Within weeks the reward grew to $300,000.

Guess who kept showing up? The boyfriend, her brothers, her dad, her male friends, none of them hiding behind carefully crafted 30 second “commercials.” All stood united, not in fear of how they might appear on camera. (For God’s sake think how hard Heidi Broussard’s boyfriend had to try to keep the secret that he’d seen video of Heidi leaving in a car....he STILL went in front of cameras.)

And who followed those men, who by circumstance and relation would automatically need to be vetted as suspects...Law Enforcement!

Law Enforcement did not remain silent! They begged the public for information. With Mollie, Crime Stoppers, Iowa Missing Persons, Iowa DCI, and FBI came together VISIBLY. The County Sheriff went as far as to say of her brothers and boyfriend that they were cleared as suspects.

When LE wants to blow it up, they do. All over town, all over billboards, all over morning news, and all over social media.

LE has kept a lid on this for a reason. Had anyone been “cleared,” in Suzanne’s disappearance, that person should be free to shout from the roof tops, just like all of the men in Mollie’s life, who were cleared, and shouted out for her.
Absolutely. That’s a perfect example of what an abduction investigation looks like. It’s also the perfect example of how loved ones typically behave when someone close to them is missing.

The single most important thing that a family can do, is keep the case in the news. Fortunately it’s fairly easy these days, and there is no shortage of ways to do that.

Judging by the way law enforcement is handling this, this isn’t an abduction. If BM is innocent though, then that is the only plausible explanation for what happened to his wife. The ball is in BM’s court, and apparently, he’s a fan of just standing there.

Like any good husband, or something.

I wonder if LE was looking for small pieces of a smashed Apple watch and a smashed-to-smithereens phone? That would explain the LE using sifters.

IMO...if there was "sifting" during the job site search, they would discover any trace evidence present, including items like you mention. Those would take some time analyze...not sure if more than three weeks? Analyzation may only describe what it is and not necessarily who it belonged depending on how mashed the parts are.

Whether finding pieces of smashed watch and phone similar to ones known to be owned by the missing person at their spouse's work site would be enough for PC to arrest, IDK? If you could conclusively prove the pieces of phone/watch belonged to the missing person, than for sure PC to arrest.

If you had other evidence in addition to the pieces of broken phone/watch at job site, then most prosecutors would seek charges.

If any of these scenarios from the job site search were reality, I think LE would have already moved.

The spouse's phone and car were investigated early on. LE says spouse was cooperating, so one could surmise that he consented to them being searched. If not, LE could have included cell and car in SW of the house. Which was also search and investigated by LE. The job site was also searched early on.

Any alibi given by the spouse would have already been confirmed or denied by LE at this point based on cell and vehicle GPS alone.

Any evidence from the house and job site search would at the very least be analyzed to determine if there was anything incriminating or not. Was there blood? How much? Signs of struggle? Video? Internet footprints.

The CBI and FBI would be able to make some basic determinations on whether anything incriminating exists or not at this point in the investigation.

Interview from CBI last week calling it a "missing person" investigation is as telling as anything else...IMO

BM told TD on youtube that he arrived Maysville around 9 pm.

Respectfully, I believe the Daily Mail alone was responsible for the rumor that BM was attending fire training on Sunday, May 10, -- a rumor that BM denies, and corroborated by his Fire Chief (all sponsored training suspended due to COVID19).

According to BM, he was busy setting up a landscape project on Sunday, for his crew to begin on Monday.

That is right, it keeps popping up. Just like her ''bike'' ride.

Anyway that route takes up approx 3 hours, and he was coming from Denver. So 9 pm is plausible. I am still very much interested in when exactly BM and his daugthers left on friday.

Wow. Very, very well said. JMO

BBM:

Timing of discovery that she was missing would be important in this scenario because BM was able to place himself hours away from the scene at the time she purportedly went missing.

The girls were expected back from their camping trip that day, apparently.

IF the bike was staged, then the only plausible reason to stage that scene was to make it appear as if SM had left the house, gone for a bike ride, and then vanished.

I think the initial plan WAS for her daughters to come home to discover both her and her bike missing.

While it has not been disclosed by either LE or BM, I would not be at all surprised to discover that prior to the girls asking the neighbor to check on SM, there had been multiple texts/calls initiated by BM asking them whether they were on their way back and/or what their ETA home was.

IF BM is responsible for SM's disappearance, he would not want to put himself back in the frame by arriving back in town before she was discovered missing.

As soon as he heard they were running late, he would have needed to come up with an alternate plan.

Hypothetically, let's call it "Plan B: Call The Neighbor."

I think BM is the one who encouraged the girls to call the neighbor.

Just a guess.

JMO.
Besides fitting BM's alibi for Sunday, he already had a narrative he wanted delivered early Monday to their IN church friends:

• SM crashed her bike and got into the river;
  • SM crossed paths with a mountain lion on the bike trail;
  • Or SM was abducted from the bike trail.

And the bike had to be left behind in the ravine for any or all of the above.

MOO

Last edited:
Not sure if I've done this correctly, just bringing over a post by vaporlass, #829 Thread 8. What I found most interesting in this youtube clip was that the car filled the entire road and was thinking is this really where you'd choose to go for your bike ride every Sunday? H'mm. It looks like a good place to head off with the dog for a walk, or out for a walk, but not so sure about a bike ride, could be wrong though. So, was thinking maybe every Sunday Suzanne was in the habit of putting the bike on the back of the car and heading off to a trail and at the end of the ride parking at her favourite cafe and having a coffee or some breakfast, then driving home .... that's what a lot of bikers do as far as I can tell. Maybe even meeting up with some fellow riders there, then driving home. Just a thought. I realise there was social distancing at the time, so not sure if cafe's were offering takeaway coffee ..... but just wondering about the car with the bike ride really.
PS: Can anyone pinpoint exactly where BM is indicating where the bike was found, going by this video? Just curious as TD has updated one of his video's to say
the theory he put up about the bike and the bridge was debunked by BM, different location.

vaporlass, May 28, 2020
"Did you watch that video by the two women who drove the roads/trails and even went by the house? There was a lot of traffic and a lot of people. It isn’t what I expected at all. April Isaacs MS RPT"
Actually it's a husband driving and wife filming, in my opinion. They didn't go by SM's house. They said they did, but it was the neighbor's house. They drove all the way to Fooses Lake and even a little bit up the trail to the left of the dam. You can see all of the landmarks. Somehow, they then ended up coming down the Colorado trail through part of the power line clear cut, passing the lake of the right (or opposite) side, You can briefly see the Fooses Dam covered spillway go by the passenger window, which some people have identified as a possible bridge. The last video ends just short of that "Y" again. Also, they call CR225 when they should say CR226, and vice-versa, but otherwise their video set is by far the best capture of the actual area she was riding through. IMO
There are five videos altogether.
April Isaacs, MS, RPT

Last edited:
Absolutely. That’s a perfect example of what an abduction investigation looks like. It’s also the perfect example of how loved ones typically behave when someone close to them is missing.

The single most important thing that a family can do, is keep the case in the news. Fortunately it’s fairly easy these days, and there is no shortage of ways to do that.

Judging by the way law enforcement is handling this, this isn’t an abduction. If BM is innocent though, then that is the only plausible explanation for what happened to his wife. The ball is in BM’s court, and apparently, he’s a fan of just standing there.

Like any good husband, or something.
Yes, yes AND yes. JMO

I meant to also say that in many parts of the west, Verizon is aggressively adding "mini cells" or boosters that basically take in the calls within a 5 mile range (less mountains and valleys), and re-format the calls to reach the Verizon towers. They can literally hang one of these on the side of a house, providing 5G service to anyone in that little subdivision area. They are also great for breaking out of blockage by geographic barriers. We have no way of determining if these are in use in the Maysville area.

Verizon is not truthing with their coverage map :D let's call it aspirational, at best.
I had no idea about the mini cells, though. What a great hope for the future. Gosh I'd be happy to sign up to host one of those. Coverage along 50 hasn't changed in a while.

I don't know how useful or interesting this is to anyone, but here you go.

Pretty consistently, traveling west from Salida on US50, with Verizon you lose signal around Mt Shavano Ski Shop (16101 US-50, Salida, CO 81201).

You can get it again at the chain up station, just west of the "main" Maysville - near where the western end 220 intersects 50. I've gotten it at the turn off for Mt Shavano on the east end of Maysville.

In case this is confusing, the part of Maysville where the M's house is is a few miles west of the "main" Maysville, with some open land in between.

Then it's DEAD along 50 for a long way. Sometimes at the Monarch Lodge you can get some bars in the parking lot. Sometimes up high at Monarch Ski Area you can get signal, but rarely at the base area. And really I have no recollection of where you get it again next. I usually don't try. Probably at the top of the pass on 50, just because you are up high. North and south of 50, out of the valley and up on trails and jeep roads, you can get pretty good signal, actually, but nearly all the homes are in the valley. Early in the morning sometimes you can get enough signal to text in some normally dead areas.

I'm not really sure if any of this is pertinent though. If you are here enough you know where the dead zones are and from most inhabited places, you only have to drive a few miles to get out of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member