Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we agree that the search of the cement site in general points towards her “missing date” as being before mothers day?

We can certainly deduce that LE thinks the maximum window of her disappearance is Friday May 8th to Sunday May 10th, 2020 just prior to it being reported to them. A 65 hour window, tops. IMO

it is the damn timeline, not compaction or lack there of...he's a dirt guy (Barry) - they all know about compaction and the likes.......this is not rocket science. IT's the time line! The dirt work was completed long before the pour, long before Suzanne went missing (presumably)........LE searching there means they have ZERO evidence of her being alive - BEFORE Barry finished up the job.

it is the damn timeline, not compaction or lack there of...he's a dirt guy (Barry) - they all know about compaction and the likes.......this is not rocket science. IT's the time line! The dirt work was completed long before the pour, long before Suzanne went missing (presumably)........LE searching there means they have ZERO evidence of contact w/ Suzanne - BEFORE Barry finished up the job. Figure out when he finished on that site, and you have a clue. (he finished before mothers day)

it is the damn timeline, not compaction or lack there of...he's a dirt guy (Barry) - they all know about compaction and the likes.......this is not rocket science. IT's the time line! The dirt work was completed long before the pour, long before Suzanne went missing (presumably)........LE searching there means they have ZERO evidence of her being alive - BEFORE Barry finished up the job.
Thanks for this detail and post. Not exactly sure why you feel looking for something BLM could not have done in the routine course of his landscaping trade. Based on what you have written its possible BM could have completed his work the week before, say he finished that Friday, May 8th, and was spotted coming back by the job Sunday May 10th. (actually not unusual to take a quick look before a pour), he had to know the pour was scheduled for Monday. Great spot to ditch a phone or apple watch/Fitbit.
Murphy makes a rational point. The date of the dirt work, unknown, does not have to be the same as the date of suspicious activity. Moo

There are long term liability issues involved, hence the reason most qualified foundation site preparers insist on inspection. I thoroughly disagree that it is not rocket science. Do you think that NASA called any old landscaper that they found in the Yellow Pages to prepare sites for the poured concrete pads for rocket launches? IMO

To back up Dave F, a landscaper would not normally prepare a job site in this way. A contractor specializing in earthwork and foundations usually does the work. If soil is brought to the site to act as a substrate for a slab, it has to be compacted - made as dense as possible to support the slab. The level of compaction is actually measured to assure that the soil is dense enough to support whatever is placed on it.

I understand the point about the type of work.

What I don’t understand is, how do we know what kind business BM has, and that he doesn’t do this type of work.

The homeowner said he was there, laying dirt. I don’t think he was designing gardens and water features on a construction site. What else would he have been doing?

MOO

There are long term liability issues involved, hence the reason most qualified foundation site preparers insist on inspection. I thoroughly disagree that it is not rocket science. Do you think that NASA called any old landscaper that they found in the Yellow Pages to prepare sites for the poured concrete pads for rocket launches? IMO
Yes, I do. Anyone can make a on grade cement pad - anyone.

it is the damn timeline, not compaction or lack there of...he's a dirt guy (Barry) - they all know about compaction and the likes.......this is not rocket science. IT's the time line! The dirt work was completed long before the pour, long before Suzanne went missing (presumably)........LE searching there means they have ZERO evidence of contact w/ Suzanne - BEFORE Barry finished up the job. Figure out when he finished on that site, and you have a clue. (he finished before mothers day)

Actually, I have seen no announcement from LE that Barry ever worked at that sight. I believe that information came to us from news reporter Rick Salinger, who interviewed someone at the site that he believed was the owner of the property. I don't believe that otherwise unidentified person was truthful. Please don't start another discussion about the owner of the property. I don't believe that person was the owner, and I am entitled to my opinion. IMO

I understand the point about the type of work.

What I don’t understand is, how do we know what kind business BM has, and that he doesn’t do this type of work.

The homeowner said he was there, laying dirt. I don’t think he was designing gardens and water features on a construction site. What else would he have been doing?

MOO

BM might have simply been hired to bring soil to the site. Others would have had the responsibility to compact or otherwise prepare the site for construction. Compaction often requires heavy equipment that a landscaper doesn’t own, lease or know how to operate.

I digress....if you all can't see what I'm getting at with regards to the timeline.....I give up. It's not about soil compaction, building a cement pad, preping the area, the pour, the dirt work, etc. It's about the timeline !!!

IMO

At this point we know the "timeline" being considered by LE encompasses a disappearance extending back to possibly May 8 or thereabouts up to and including May 12.

How do we know this?

Because in the first week(s) after SM's disappearance LE specifically requested (via press conference and/or press release) residents who have video cams that point to the outside of their properties please preserve footage from their cams for those dates.

/IMO

We actually do know exactly when the main concrete slab (that was cut by LE) was poured. The inspection record shows that last items to be inspected before a slab pour of that type........the "Insulation Under Slab" and "Plumbing - In Floor Tube" passed on Monday May 11, 2020. This would be the morning after Suzanne's disappearance. Normally there are two to four days after inspection after a pour, to ensure that there were no post-inspection changes and that everything went well and the dry, finished slab will conform to code. The same inspector did return on Thursday May 14, 2020 and noted some sort of failure in the forming of a future footings pour......."Caissons/Piers". This is usually something that was already set, but got messed up by the work activity of the Monday pour, like a collapsed trench wall. Whatever it was, the timing of the inspection strongly indicates that the concrete pour was begun on Monday. There is a lot of concrete there, requiring the loads of several concrete trucks. It's quite possible that the pour spanned over into Tuesday morning. A different inspector returned on May 15th to pass on the remediation of that Caissons/Piers problem, but there was not a subsequent post-pour inspection, which might indicate that the work had been suspended at that time.
The ground penetrating radar that LE used to narrow their search is only useful to a soil depth of 2 feet below concrete but will detect both objects and voids. The Channel 9 News video taken after the search clearly shows the hole cut by LE, and shows that the LE excavation was at least two feet deep. There is only one conclusion possible, which is that they were looking for something that was buried BEFORE the insulation and plumbing that was inspected on Monday May 11th were installed. This does not match the timeline of SM's disappearance.
My personal opinion is that the timing of the work immediately prior to the pour and the depth of the pour tend to indicate that LE was looking for something that BLM could not have done in the routine course of his landscaping trade. My guess is that LE initiated the search on solid information from an informant (or informants) in a position to know, and may well have been been an observation of the suspicious activities of someone other than BLM. The decision to search the site may have come as early as five days after the report of her disappearance, and if so, probably had no direct connection to discovery the other searches.
Like everything connected with this case, what we don't know greatly exceeds what we do know. IMO

Building Department Permit Detail

The first thing that struck me when seeing the pictures of the property -and where LE had cut through the cement- was if I was going to bury anything on that property, it wouldn't be a spot completely vulnerable to neighbors and passersby. I'd at least do it where the trees are somewhat (partially-kind of-not really at all) obscuring view from the road. Unless the nearby homes aren't occupied, the entire property is pretty exposed and any activity there, day or night could be observed. Too chancy.

In digging up the work site that Barry was on some time prior to mothers day, you should be able to surmise :

LE cannot confirm any contact w/ Suzanne after Barry was done dirt work on the cement site.

This is prior to mothers day.

The cement pour day only matters if it was pre-mothers day.
Please give MSM backing. Or these just end of being personal thoughts.

BM might have simply been hired to bring soil to the site. Others would have had the responsibility to compact or otherwise prepare the site for construction. Compaction often requires heavy equipment that a landscaper doesn’t own, lease or know how to operate.

I can see this, but I don’t see how it excludes BM working on the site during the window of 5/8-5/9.

MOO

All of this is possible......some ideas more possible than others, but it's still all possible................except that we are talking Friday, Saturday and Mother's Day Sunday. That is the timeline. IMO

I agree with your timeline.

I’m just not understanding how it excludes BM.

Even if he is the dirt mover, and not the dirt compactor, it seems probable that they’d be present and working together on the same day, IMO.

Speculating—if a destroyed object was in the dirt, it could’ve been small bits added in the truck and dumped in. It’s not necessarily the case that someone had the control of site needed to physically bury an object.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member