Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Denver was a lie, would that automatically turn LE to BM as the chief POI? How much more would there have to be before they start digging up concrete? Could it be that one single thing? Sometimes people lie about their whereabouts even when they are innocent of the crime, since they might be doing things they shouldn’t. I’m sure LE sees a lot of that, but it doesn’t make a person guilty of all things.

I think so. LE is very attuned to lying and fibbing, and this is a potential homicide case. I think it would be enough to get a search warrant, personally, but I am not a judge or attorney in CO.

Most people find that when LE comes knocking after a crime, that it works best to tell the truth. When people do lie, it's for a reason (unless of course they are demented or have some other kind of neuropsychiatric condition).

In this case, since there is only one crime under investigation, and since criminology tells us that the most likely person to murder a woman is an intimate partner, followed by other persons she knows or is related to, BM was automatically under scrutiny. When that person states variations of an alibi or isn't where they said they'd be, I think that's a red flag.

Doesn't mean BM did it, of course. I'm curious what the next steps will be in this. He doesn't have to talk to LE and probably isn't. I think that's why they decided to talk to so many others in the community and dial in some other stories, which then have to be investigated further.

bbm
:p
I like your creative description.
You could be right.

If a random, bushy-haired stranger abducted her she might be in captivity but alive.
Can't exactly say "safe and well"; so no ransom would be payed out, but there ought to be questions asked !

I keep thinking LE would've put out a BOLO in that case, though ?
My .02 is that if someone took her it was planned and not random.

Not much new at all and I think it's sad.
Hoping LE are making progress behind the scenes.
Given the area she was grabbed, I tend to agree. Stalked, planned, more solvable than random stranger. My hope.

IMO

None of the alternative scenarios make sense to me for 4 simple reasons:

1. SM's bike ride was not corroborated by anyone (we know of).
2. LE does not appear to believe SM ever went for a bike ride that day.
3. It makes no sense to me that a would-be burglar at the home would then turn it into a kidnapping & try to 'stage' a bike ride for SM. Staging implies someone close to SM trying to make the incident appear to have happened elsewhere.
4. BM continues to float the 'big cat' scenario as well as the bike ride activity.

BBM, THIS is another reason i suspect LE has their suspect and has since day 1. the mountain lion theory was confirmed to not be one of the theories considered by law enforcement, and they said as much in one of the very first news articles that came out about her disappearance. in fact, i remember finding it strange that it was even mentioned so quickly in those first days by the sheriff's office. it felt a bit random to throw that specific info out there (even though i guess it was a possibility), but it was said "we do not believe this was an animal attack."

and yet someone sent an email to the church in those first few days saying exactly that, she had probably been attacked by a mountain lion, and BM told tyson with his own mouth that it was one of his main theories.

why would LE even mention that they didn't believe it was animal attack from the get-go? and why is BM still saying "it's possible"? how and why would you be so disconnected from LE, as the husband to a missing person, so early in the investigation?

IMO

None of the alternative scenarios make sense to me for 4 simple reasons:

1. SM's bike ride was not corroborated by anyone (we know of).
2. LE does not appear to believe SM ever went for a bike ride that day.
3. It makes no sense to me that a would-be burglar at the home would then turn it into a kidnapping & try to 'stage' a bike ride for SM. Staging implies someone close to SM trying to make the incident appear to have happened elsewhere.
4. BM continues to float the 'big cat' scenario as well as the bike ride activity.
I’m willing to concede on the burglary, but that is possibly one of his previous charges. I believe he may HAVE considered burglary until he saw the girls and that became his focus instead.
Not willing to concede on staging, we have NO evidence on that. However, if I were staging an accident, I would arrange it so it was at least visible from the road. IMO
Thanks for at least considering my theory, your input is helpful.

Good question. I’m going to go back and watch that video one more time tomorrow to see what stands out.
Okay, I watched it again. The way they cordoned off the area from the back patio to the diggie machine seemed a little weird to me, like they were interested in certain areas on that side. In contrast, the side of the driveway that was cordoned off ran in a straight line. I might be reading to much into it. That whole yard does not look like it has belonged to a landscaper for the last 2 years. Lots of rock work, but no plantings or anything to soften that hardscape.

Attachments

• F4D1F423-FAAB-42B2-9666-7222709C2D2E.jpeg
    F4D1F423-FAAB-42B2-9666-7222709C2D2E.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 86163581-76AB-4C42-A832-0A162F237698.jpeg
    86163581-76AB-4C42-A832-0A162F237698.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 104
  • D807171B-9B40-4C85-BED5-DC6FD02307DC.jpeg
    D807171B-9B40-4C85-BED5-DC6FD02307DC.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 91
BBM, THIS is another reason i suspect LE has their suspect and has since day 1. the mountain lion theory was confirmed to not be one of the theories considered by law enforcement, and they said as much in one of the very first news articles that came out about her disappearance. in fact, i remember finding it strange that it was even mentioned so quickly in those first days by the sheriff's office. it felt a bit random to throw that specific info out there (even though i guess it was a possibility), but it was said "we do not believe this was an animal attack."

and yet someone sent an email to the church in those first few days saying exactly that, she had probably been attacked by a mountain lion, and BM told tyson with his own mouth that it was one of his main theories.

why would LE even mention that they didn't believe it was animal attack from the get-go? and why is BM still saying "it's possible"? how and why would you be so disconnected from LE, as the husband to a missing person, so early in the investigation?
We have NO evidence that the mountain lion theory initiated w/ BM. the SAR had begun, by the time BM arrived. We have since had enough anecdotal info that while rare, this was a possibility that needed to be ruled out. Perhaps one of the SAR HAD seen one in the general area, recently.
TD interview, BM wasn’t throwing out possibilities, he was checking off a list of things that had been done and realizing nothing had found her. MVHO

PoI? Breaking Concrete without Search Warrant?
If Denver was a lie, would that automatically turn LE to BM as the chief POI? How much more would there have to be before they start digging up concrete?....
@DizzyB sbm If BM told LE about Denver trip which LE determined was a lie, imo LE's head would turn closer to BM as a PoI, but that lie alone would not be sufficient for LE to start breaking concrete.
But imo, that lie, plus other info re BM & property (hypothetical to us still but actual info to LE, e.g., witness stmt about BM's presence at a certain time at dirt-delivery/compacting site before concrete-pour), plus homeowner's consent for LE to bring GrPenRadar/equivalent may have been sufficient for LE to conduct non-invasive tests on concrete slab, w'out warrant.

But before invasive/destructive actions-- digging, sawing, cutting concrete foundation there -- doubtful (to some/most of our verified legal profesionals here) that LE proceeded without a having obtained a judge's signature on search warrant.

Azz-uming the GrPenRadar test results revealed a disturbance/disruption in or under the concrete, that fact, plus the other above info could form basis for judge to sign search warrant and for LE to proceed w invasive/destructive digging, cutting concrete, etc.

Welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp from our legal professionals. just my 2 cts.

The words of Sheriff John Spezze that I heard, starting at 6:15 of the video and ending at 6:29, were:
(the question is......) "If we're still looking if any animal can be involved. On any open investigation, obviously you don't rule out anything. We've not found anything that could indicate that, however, we're always evaluating. We believe that anything that you have (unintelligible), we're going to follow up on."

Okay, I watched it again. The way they cordoned off the area from the back patio to the diggie machine seemed a little weird to me, like they were interested in certain areas on that side. In contrast, the side of the driveway that was cordoned off ran in a straight line. I might be reading to much into it. That whole yard does not look like it has belonged to a landscaper for the last 2 years. Lots of rock work, but no plantings or anything to soften that hardscape.
I totally agree about the yard’s landscape, however don’t we all know handyman/ repair guys whose own houses are falling apart because they are too busy on jobs.

I am a gardener. We have a much different natural landscape here. I’ve looked at this and wondered how I WOULD landscape it? Given that the rocky areas seem to be more of a blending with nature, I see the beginning of what could eventually be quite natural and yet stunning.
I am planning on living in my present home for the rest of my life, so we took a more leisurely approach to our landscaping, smaller trees etc. Our 6 river birch trees have reached the roof of our three story house (rear elevation). I’m kinda proud of them, as they were sorta my babies.

IMO there’s no urgency to get everything done right away here, not bothering the neighbors, not expecting to sell house. Putter away at it, along and along. Hardscape forms the foundation, for everything.
I want to see what the big design would have been, when finished. sigh.

I posted before that on the 13th of may LE said;

Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A day before on the 12th of may LE said;

They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

After the 13th there is no word anymore about any bike ride. It was reported as a bike ride gone missing, then they got some maybe superficial evidence that she was on a bike ride and that changed them in investigation revealed. But in my opinion everything changed after that. No bike ride in the press releases anymore. Imo the bike ride story is out of the window. MOO
You’re absolutely right about the bike ride! Once the focus shifted toward abduction, and bicycle processed for evidence, the focus shifted toward other areas. that doesn’t mean it did not happen, especially if they could determine she was grabbed before she hit the trails, ( full water bottles, etc)MOO

PoI? Breaking Concrete without Search Warrant?
@DizzyB sbm If BM told LE about Denver trip which LE determined was a lie, imo LE's head would turn closer to BM as a PoI, but that lie alone would not be sufficient for LE to start breaking concrete.
But imo, that lie, plus other info re BM & property (hypothetical to us still but actual info to LE, e.g., witness stmt about BM's presence at a certain time at dirt-delivery/compacting site before concrete-pour), plus homeowner's consent for LE to bring GrPenRadar/equivalent may have been sufficient for LE to conduct non-invasive tests on concrete slab, w'out warrant.

But before invasive/destructive actions-- digging, sawing, cutting concrete foundation there -- doubtful (to some/most of our verified legal profesionals here) that LE proceeded without a having obtained a judge's signature on search warrant.

Azz-uming the GrPenRadar test results revealed a disturbance/disruption in or under the concrete, that fact, plus the other above info could form basis for judge to sign search warrant and for LE to proceed w invasive/destructive digging, cutting concrete, etc.

Welcoming comment, clarification, correction, esp from our legal professionals. just my 2 cts.

In my opinion, construction on the site was halted within the first five full days of investigation, due to the fact that subsequent mandatory inspections were not triggered. That would tend to indicate that LE already had the search warrant, and were making the necessary arrangement for equipment, housing for out of town personnel, etc.
In five days, it would be nearly impossible to view multiple traffic cam videos, cell phone data etc to prove that BLM was lying. On the other hand, it sounds like BLM did not have anyone but his direct employees to vouch for his presence in Denver. Remember that LE doesn't have to prove anything in a search warrant affidavit, they have to state probably cause.
My guess is that the search warrant was based on:
(a) A strong lead developed from a tip or tips.
(b) Urgency to search the site and clear it for construction to proceed on time, as stated to them by the contractor doing the construction, not the remote homeowner.
(c) The need to investigate promptly in the face of reasonable delay in verifying or disproving BLM's alibi.
IMO
Building Department Permit Search Home

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-23 Building Department Permit Detail.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-23 Building Department Permit Detail.png
    123 KB · Views: 8

I believe that the truck and the diggy machine are parked at the entry to the driveway area at the front and side of the house, to block vehicle entry while the search is being conducted. That is why the diggy machine has perimeter tape tied to it. It can be so-o-o-o confusing when the news people use a drone like helicopter to get aerial video! IMO

The words of Sheriff John Spezze that I heard, starting at 6:15 of the video and ending at 6:29, were:
(the question is......) "If we're still looking if any animal can be involved. On any open investigation, obviously you don't rule out anything. We've not found anything that could indicate that, however, we're always evaluating. We believe that anything that you have (unintelligible), we're going to follow up on."
Exactly. I firmly believe that that an animal attack was one of the top 3 theories that LE considered initially. Over the course of several days of tracking and searching, that theory became less probable. But even 5 days later, and after 2000 man hours of searching, Spezzee still says at the PC that they are evaluating all options. The email to church members, mentioning an animal attack as a possibility, was sent in the first day(s) of the search, well before it was most likely ruled out.
I also don’t think BM was floating the idea of an attack to TD at all. That’s never been the way I heard it. BM has a strange way of constructing his sentences and trailing off, but he was getting TD (as a potentially volunteer searcher) up-to-speed on what areas HAVE been searched so far. IE. we search up this way....in case it had been a cat. We searched down here and in the river...in case she was injured and disoriented. We searched this way....in the case of an abduction. To me, if you commit listening to BM through the lens of being innocent, I think he firmly believes it was an abduction. Not an animal attack or injury, because that’s been covered. He says his area of concern is thataway... between where the bike was found and SM’s items were found.

I think hardscape landscaping is the kind of work BM does. Maybe LE is interested when all that rock work was done.

There is some interesting information in the link regarding different types of rock, stone, sand, silt deposits and where they are and whether they are useful for commercial use.

http://geohaz.com/images/document-m...geo-haz_OFR-06-10-Maysville-Authors-Notes.pdf

This is an interesting link, too, in regards to the numerous mines in and around Maysville and Salida.

https://colorado.hometownlocator.com/features/cultural,class,mine,scfips,08015,startrow,1.cfm

There is NO florist delivery in the Maysville area. The nearest florist who delivers at all is 32 miles away in Buena Vista. Buffy's Flowers & Gifts ONLY delivers in Buena Vista. IMO
Buffy's Flowers and Gifts - Flowers - Buena Vista, CO - WeddingWire

Oh well. Gotta keep brainstorming for clues. :)

<modsnip> First, Buffy's Flowers and Gifts does not exist -- owner sold the shop.

There's a new shop in its place: Sunshine Floral & More. If you talk to the new owner (or any Salida, Canon City, Buen-ie, etc. floral shop) you'll learn that while they may not personally load up their store van and hand-deliver flowers to Maysville area, THEY DO SERVE THE AREA -- just like every other national floral chain with the use of FedEx and UPS.

In other words, any residence in the Maysville, Co area that has a USPS mailing address can have fresh flowers and gifts delivered.

Me thinks somebody hasn't ordered flowers in a very, very, long time! ;)

ETA:
buffy's floral, buena vista co - بحث Google

Last edited by a moderator:
More yellow tape thoughts. :D

Is it police tape or is it tape used by contractors (BM) to denote caution or mark specific areas for a specific purpose? Re-landscaping those odd-shaped parts of the lot and widening the drive or planning for adding a low stone wall to line the drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member