Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you imagine if we find out Suzanne just took off? Maybe She told her daughters and she just up and left because she knew leaving Barry would be difficult and their church community might also make it difficult to leave. I mean she has family in Michigan. Maybe she just couldn't take it anymore. I dunno the woman just vanished and the bike makes no sense. The whole thing is off. Maybe this is just hopeful thinking.

There's been mention of state campgrounds being closed in Idaho? What about private campgrounds owned by church groups? There has been speculation that the girls were on a trip that may have been organized by their church.

As far as BM's slip of the tongue regarding day vs night or present tense vs past tense, I don't put a lot of stock in that. People are known to do that without it being some interior psychological war between good and evil battling to tell the truth.

I read through Suzanne's twitter account. I've seen FB accounts like that, flurries of pictures on holiday, smiling faces and raised drinks when in reality I know the person's life is circling the drain. I also have known a woman who despite her Pollyanna attitude lived as an adjunct to her husband's life. She took orders from him to maintain the home and family while he traveled the world engaging in his passion for birds.

We've speculated on the financial robustness of the M's and I still can't figure out what's really going on there. I came across this article regarding the requirements for Colorado residency. Does any of it have an impact on the M's financial holdings as they pertain to real estate?

Colorado residency defined

Oh no, you’re bang on. He’s the guy you notice even in peripheral vision and instinctively avoid.

Having seen the peculiar ‘appeal’ video that feeling doesn’t change, he oozes insincerity.
Oh yeah, on the sincerity scale of 0 to 10 he rates a big 0. I try to think of anything that would make me think otherwise but haven’t thought of a thing.

There's been mention of state campgrounds being closed in Idaho? What about private campgrounds owned by church groups? There has been speculation that the girls were on a trip that may have been organized by their church.

As far as BM's slip of the tongue regarding day vs night or present tense vs past tense, I don't put a lot of stock in that. People are known to do that without it being some interior psychological war between good and evil battling to tell the truth.

I read through Suzanne's twitter account. I've seen FB accounts like that, flurries of pictures on holiday, smiling faces and raised drinks when in reality I know the person's life is circling the drain. I also have known a woman who despite her Pollyanna attitude lived as an adjunct to her husband's life. She took orders from him to maintain the home and family while he traveled the world engaging in his passion for birds.

We've speculated on the financial robustness of the M's and I still can't figure out what's really going on there. I came across this article regarding the requirements for Colorado residency. Does any of it have an impact on the M's financial holdings as they pertain to real estate?

I'd not seen that local news link from Chaffee County Times, and thanks for posting it. It's not been clear to me exactly how serious Colorado was addressing the COVID pandemic when related parties are driving hundreds of miles from home for non-essential purposes. I've been very curious about what all the other residents were doing or not doing during this period.

Relative to the residency defined in the article, this was specific to the Public Health Order and the state asking nonresidents and/or visitors to leave immediately.

Gov. Jared Polis’ executive order directs people to stay home. Home has a specific definition (e.g., hence the definition of residency).

They first made this request on March 18 but extended the stay at home order until April 26.

Chaffee County initiated a public health order in mid-March that closed lodging and directed all visitors to leave.

“Visitors to Chaffee County are directed to return home immediately and persons considering visiting Chaffee County should remain home,” Andrea Carlstrom, director of Chaffee County Public and Environmental Health said March 18.

Colorado state statute also determines residence as primary place of abode.

[..]

Per the public health department order, residency restrictions include Chaffee County’s vast federally managed public lands in addition to Colorado Parks and Wildlife closures.

On March 26, CPW closed all playgrounds, campgrounds, camping and camping facilities at Colorado’s state parks and State Wildlife Areas until further notice.

IMO, the Sheriff's office was not authorizing firefighters or any volunteers, only LE resources.

I could be wrong but am skeptical and just think it is open to interpretation as there is some ambiguity in the wording. Possible scenario:

Firefighter calls Sheriff "We want to help with the search"
Sheriff "Nope, we are sticking entirely with our LE resources"
Firefighter then says "Sheriff told us we aren't allowed up there"

(May 15 CBS Local)
Crews are using drones and search dogs to try and locate Morphew. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have also searched nearby watersheds. Authorities are not asking for help from volunteers in the search.

(May 20 Daily Mail)
Morphew’s fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne.

(May 21 Crimeonline)
Bertram also noted that the fire department is not working with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office or state and federal authorities on the search for Suzanne Morphew, but said that some firefighters had been volunteering their time to search for the missing woman. He acknowledged a possible disconnect between Morphew’s friends and family and the law enforcement officers conducting the investigation.

(May 23 Daily Mail)
Morphew's fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne. ...

Morphew's colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police.

Tim Nelson, 33, said: 'The Sheriff's office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there.

(June 10 The Denver Channel; Susan Medina, CBI)
As of Wednesday morning, there was not a need for volunteer search groups.

“They have done a number of targeted searches with specialized investigators and different groups that have come to do searches over the past month,” Medina said. “As for volunteer search groups, at this point, the sheriff was indicating that he wanted to continue to utilize law enforcement resources to conduct those searches.

MOO but "targeted searches by LE" means we're just looking for evidence connected to her death. It reminds me of Gannon when you had tons of volunteers waiting to be called and there were a lot of small targeted searches that went unnoticed bc it wasn't an uninformed search. They had data indicating specific enough areas that search teams weren't needed, not even in the snow.

It also reminds me of the Allyson Watterson case where little was given out except they didn't believe the bf, but it appears to be a long convoluted story on there whereabouts before Allyson died. I would guess LE just didn't release those windy roads bc it's not helpful to involve the public when youre winding down a weird road on a case. Add to that look at Gannon and how we got so little info, but what a long convoluted story that was. We all had the basics that we talked out, but then the rape allegations and Tyrone or whoever from the FBI's most wanted being involved (false claim that didn't happen it was a lie told by stepmom) to more turns until he was finally found in Florida. It also appears that LE didn't look or think he was in FL probably bc it was so out there considering they had found evidence keeping the search in the general area. None of us would have guessed any of the weird totally crazy things that come out in the AA.

I'm guessing it will be windy and so the weird details are what they are trying to sort out and not share. It's hard to pull back the stray threads and leave those out there and then try to reign them back in for a consolidated theory once the threads come back together.

I know from personal life things are being exposed (people I know). Something about coronavirus is making things come to light you would never guess. Marriages and all that stress has left a lot of time to fight, to peek over a shoulder and see a weird email, bring up old fights bc you're locked in with someone whose habits you tolerate but now despise bc it's all day everyday.

There is also for a lot of people, especially people in real estate, to have financial stressors right now. The 90 day forbearance on mortgages really only gave you 90 days to come up with 4 payments on day 91 meaning you didn't get a reprieve on those forbearance payments. You owed them all just not on the due dates. Collecting rent has been hard too on a lot of landlords especially the overleveraged ones.

Anyway MOO theyre just looking in places they think she was left by someone or evidence of her was left by someone that they have connected to those spots.

I'd not seen that local news link from Chaffee County Times, and thanks for posting it. It's not been clear to me exactly how serious Colorado was addressing the COVID pandemic when related parties are driving hundreds of miles from home for non-essential purposes. I've been very curious about what all the other residents were doing or not doing during this period.

Relative to the residency defined in the article, this was specific to the Public Health Order and the state asking nonresidents and/or visitors to leave immediately.

Gov. Jared Polis’ executive order directs people to stay home. Home has a specific definition (e.g., hence the definition of residency).

They first made this request on March 18 but extended the stay at home order until April 26.

Chaffee County initiated a public health order in mid-March that closed lodging and directed all visitors to leave.

“Visitors to Chaffee County are directed to return home immediately and persons considering visiting Chaffee County should remain home,” Andrea Carlstrom, director of Chaffee County Public and Environmental Health said March 18.

Colorado state statute also determines residence as primary place of abode.

[..]

Per the public health department order, residency restrictions include Chaffee County’s vast federally managed public lands in addition to Colorado Parks and Wildlife closures.

On March 26, CPW closed all playgrounds, campgrounds, camping and camping facilities at Colorado’s state parks and State Wildlife Areas until further notice.

What is the significance of the stay at home orders from CO Gov Polis and closed campgrounds in Chaffee County & dates of March 18 thru April 26th in regards to the SM case?

Perhaps they were camping at a private residence that has lots of land...(I.e. A ranch))
Or perhaps it was a commercial campsite...
As opposed to a government run campground?

While on a road trip in AZ during the height of COVID...
We (husband, pup, and I) saw such campgrounds as KOA's open for guests...
Though the Grand Canyon National Park was completely closed off...
Road and all...
Just some thoughts...

That's entirely possible, IMO.

I'm sure LE has checked out the camping aspect of this case.

I wonder, why it ended in April 2017.
Based on the infrequency of her posts, I'd guess it could very well be she just decided twitter was not her thing.
Tons of of people sign up, post off and on for a while, then just neglect the account.
Same on FB, and various other SM platforms.

jmo

I do too. I think he would have done anything to help..and something made it all come to a halt.

JMO
Exactly. TN started out the same way any normal person would react. Get vocally upset that she is missing and start to yell it from the mountain tops.

Then something changed where he backed away. Backed way away.

We can learn a lot just from watching what others do. Watching LE actions. Watching what others are doing.

The only thing that makes sense to me why he backed off was he learned something new that made him realize this case was not what it first was made to look like. Its either that or he was not getting sensible cooperation from someone that should have been right there along side him. Once he got to that realization it made no sense to keep going down that path so he stopped. He backed away from everything including the give me fund.

What happened there tells us a lot. We still dont have any details but it sure paints a picture that something is very wrong about this case.

I saw that BM applied for guardianship to close on a home. Does anyone have more information on that? I'm just curious about the timing on the listing. During covid? It's not the most popular time for selling

JMO
Exactly. TN started out the same way any normal person would react. Get vocally upset that she is missing and start to yell it from the mountain tops.

Then something changed where he backed away. Backed way away.

We can learn a lot just from watching what others do. Watching LE actions. Watching what others are doing.

The only thing that makes sense to me why he backed off was he learned something new that made him realize this case was not what it first was made to look like. Its either that or he was not getting sensible cooperation from someone that should have been right there along side him. Once he got to that realization it made no sense to keep going down that path so he stopped. He backed away from everything including the give me fund.

What happened there tells us a lot. We still dont have any details but it sure paints a picture that something is very wrong about this case.
@Hatfield ITA - we’ve watched too many of these “missing” women end up not really missing after all - they were deceased ... I think this one is as well and this early behavior By the nephew is spot on - and I can’t help but wonder about the lack of any substantial plea or thanks from Moms family - we’ve got silence 2 months on
JMO

I saw that BM applied for guardianship to close on a home. Does anyone have more information on that? I'm just curious about the timing on the listing. During covid? It's not the most popular time for selling
Her media thread has the details on the guardianship - people are buying and selling during COVID And many speculate that this was under contract prior to her going missing but the contract has never been discussed in MSM that I’ve found
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Wait. I haven't been able to read all posts so maybe this has been addressed, but if you're talking about camping in Idaho on Mother's Day weekend, no campgrounds were open. No campgrounds in Idaho opened until May 30. Forest Service, State Parks, all closed.

Good point and I have thought about that. Thinking it could have been on private grounds or a sports camp.

I went through the many repetitive updates on the timeline, but is there a specific one that talks about her being subservient or go along to get along?

I went through the many repetitive updates on the timeline, but is there a specific one that talks about her being subservient or go along to get along?

My impression of Suzanne, which my opinion is based upon, is that she is a very religious woman who conforms to the biblical traditional role of what a wife should be: obedient and subserviant. Maybe it's me, I'm not in the least religious but I always find it disconcerting when people posts random bible verses on their SM media accounts. It gives me an insight to the lens they view their world. And based on the videotaped sermon from the church she attends, I'm not wrong.

Imagine for a moment that you are close friends or family of SM; The silence must be heartbreaking. We have 20 threads, each 50 some odd pages long. At times there is bickering out of sheer frustration. I think it’s safe to say the frustration evolves from the desire for justice and answers. Now imagine that’s a technique for agitating the perp. Not sure this happens, but how does someone desperate to know what’s happening so they can keep their lies ahead of the case Act versus someone desperate for answers because their heart is broken and world destroyed, fraught with uncertainty? Could it be an LE strategy? How would the behavior differ? Could it drive someone crazy to a point they finally crack?

It just doesn’t seem to be too much effort to put out a quick PR weekly. Even one that reads “No new updates”. I get the feeling it’s all calculated and some kind of strategy. IMO

We have no idea, if any, which one(s) of SM's relatives are calling detectives and asking for updates regularly or occasionally.

As for LE playing games, I think it's more that they aren't releasing details of the investigation to the public, and probably very little to any family member. That's to protect the case and not give out any information that could alert a suspect. That's a typical strategy, not to drive someone crazy, but to keep the case close to the vest for protection. If you read about other criminal cases you'll see this is fairly common.

Regarding PR, as a case moves along, still unsolved, I notice press releases from LE tend to come out less often. I suspect it's not about level of effort so much as there's nothing new to say or report. (The repeating press verbiage reminds me a bit of the infamous SNL weekend news skits back in the '70s where Chevy Chase, as news anchor, would announce every weekend, "Generalísimo Francisco Franco Is Still Dead").

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member