Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through the many repetitive updates on the timeline, but is there a specific one that talks about her being subservient or go along to get along?
There are quotes from family members/friends that have led some to believe this -
Meanwhile
I think we need to add to the timeline:
The MSM pulled out by @sillybilly and others regarding the FF and searching - and the different ways the press worded their involvement in the LE searches (none).

And perhaps the family/friend comments very early on about the couple? I will try to compile them but if someone has time and does this, please tag me and I will update the timeline because we do seem to have this come up quite often. Especially when there is zero news. like now..
JMO

IMO, the Sheriff's office was not authorizing firefighters or any volunteers, only LE resources.

I could be wrong but am skeptical and just think it is open to interpretation as there is some ambiguity in the wording. Possible scenario:
snipped.
I'm going to title this - "about the firefighters Not searching with LE"
now we just need the quotes from the family members regarding the couple and certain behaviors.
ETA:
1. Firefighters and searching with LE;
2. Behaviors noted by relatives;
3. About the bike

Sheriff's office and firefighters searching:
Possible scenario:

Firefighter calls Sheriff "We want to help with the search"
Sheriff "Nope, we are sticking entirely with our LE resources"
Firefighter then says "Sheriff told us we aren't allowed up there"

(May 15 CBS Local)
Crews are using drones and search dogs to try and locate Morphew. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have also searched nearby watersheds. Authorities are not asking for help from volunteers in the search.

(May 20 Daily Mail)
Morphew’s fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne.

(May 21 Crimeonline)
Bertram also noted that the fire department is not working with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office or state and federal authorities on the search for Suzanne Morphew, but said that some firefighters had been volunteering their time to search for the missing woman. He acknowledged a possible disconnect between Morphew’s friends and family and the law enforcement officers conducting the investigation.

(May 23 Daily Mail)
Morphew's fire department colleagues have been ordered not to take part in the search by police, although locals said Morphew and his friends have been out looking for Suzanne. ...

Morphew's colleagues from the Maysville Fire Station have also been attempting to help with the search, although one told DailyMail.com they have been warned off by police.

Tim Nelson, 33, said: 'The Sheriff's office, they told us none of the fire guys are allowed up there.

(June 10 The Denver Channel; Susan Medina, CBI)
As of Wednesday morning, there was not a need for volunteer search groups.

“They have done a number of targeted searches with specialized investigators and different groups that have come to do searches over the past month,” Medina said. “As for volunteer search groups, at this point, the sheriff was indicating that he wanted to continue to utilize law enforcement resources to conduct those searches.

-----
Behavior of SM and BM:

MAY 25, 2020
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
snipped
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana, and members of the community there are concerned about Suzanne’s well-being as the investigation into her disappearance enters its third week.
[...]
JP noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.” Still, JP said he never noticed any trouble between the husband and wife.
------------------
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
snipped
The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.
“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said.
“A February post from a social media account believed to belong to Barry Morphew said that his wife had “beat cancer twice.” The Indiana-based source said that Suzanne’s cancer had returned around the time the family was preparing to move to Colorado in 2018, and that she “was not doing well” at that time.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]
-----------------------
About the bike:

The search continued Tuesday with only dogs. Sheriff John Spezze said there is no need for volunteers. Sheriff Spezze would not comment on whether or not Morphew bike was recovered. By late afternoon Tuesday, Morphew had not been found.

This is an ongoing investigation and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.
More than 100 help search for missing woman in Chaffee County
-----------------
work in progress - will add the nephews quote about finding the bike and asking us to request condition from Sheriff IIRC
and other family members describing BM -
need these MSM quotes.

Last edited:
There are quotes from family members/friends that have led some to believe this -
Meanwhile
I think we need to add to the timeline:
The MSM pulled out by @sillybilly and others regarding the FF and searching - and the different ways the press worded their involvement in the LE searches (none).

And perhaps the family/friend comments very early on about the couple? I will try to compile them but if someone has time and does this, please tag me and I will update the timeline because we do seem to have this come up quite often. Especially when there is zero news. like now..
JMO

Also I realized it maybe sounded snarky that I said on the "many repetitive updates", but I meant the lack of updates or the "update" thats the same as the last

My impression of Suzanne, which my opinion is based upon, is that she is a very religious woman who conforms to the biblical traditional role of what a wife should be: obedient and subserviant. Maybe it's me, I'm not in the least religious but I always find it disconcerting when people posts random bible verses on their SM media accounts. It gives me an insight to the lens they view their world. And based on the videotaped sermon from the church she attends, I'm not wrong.
And, my impression of BM is that he is not “really” religious. Puts on a show when it suits him. His infomercial didn’t provide one morsel of any spirituality that I could detect. “Oh Suzanne,” if only you had forgiven me like you should have. :eek: What a fraud! JMO

Sunset was roughly 8:04 pm.

Sunset would have been at 8:04 pm, if they did not live on the east facing slope of the continental divide. There is a three thousand foot elevation rise between CR 225 and the sun setting on the horizon. The Google Earth Pro daylight function takes this into account. Clearly, by 8:04 pm it was dark but got lighter almost immediately with the moon rise. IMO

Also I realized it maybe sounded snarky that I said on the "many repetitive updates", but I meant the lack of updates or the "update" thats the same as the last
I did not take it that way - it's very frustrating two months in and nothing much going on - I've posted this article a few times but I like reading it again to remind myself of what all LE is doing while we think nothing is going on....
here you go:
'We never wanted to let her down': Meet the investigators who helped solve Kelsey Berreth's murder

Colorado Bureau of Investigation agents Gregg Slater and Chris Adams discuss the impact of the murder of Woodland Park mother Kelsey Berreth.

I did not take it that way - it's very frustrating two months in and nothing much going on - I've posted this article a few times but I like reading it again to remind myself of what all LE is doing while we think nothing is going on....
here you go:
'We never wanted to let her down': Meet the investigators who helped solve Kelsey Berreth's murder

Colorado Bureau of Investigation agents Gregg Slater and Chris Adams discuss the impact of the murder of Woodland Park mother Kelsey Berreth.
<modsnip> I wish spiritual women would also remember that a husband is to cherish/love his wife, not treat her like a doormat. My best friend had to point that out to me many years ago, and I took those words to heart. JMO

ETA: Once you stop allowing yourself to be their doormat, the sparks begin to fly. Unfortunately for some, it becomes a raging fire that will ultimately consume them.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
My impression of Suzanne, which my opinion is based upon, is that she is a very religious woman who conforms to the biblical traditional role of what a wife should be: obedient and subserviant. Maybe it's me, I'm not in the least religious but I always find it disconcerting when people posts random bible verses on their SM media accounts. It gives me an insight to the lens they view their world. And based on the videotaped sermon from the church she attends, I'm not wrong.

I'm not sure why you would find it disconcerting to see a Christian woman post a Bible verse. All the posts I've seen from her are entirely consistent with how Christians use social media. It may appear random to non-Christians, but more often than anything, it's a verse of the day (loads of apps have them), or a verse from the day's devotional, or just something they felt encouraged or inspired by. In other words, it's not really random at all, as we tend to be encouraged and inspired by Scripture every day. I've seen nothing disconcerting or unsettling on her social media at all.

jmo

I think we all were which is why it's so striking. Right up there with using a "past tense" word...it jars your attention
He also says: "..I'm willing to confirm that the bike was..."
Sounds like there is a lot more he knows, yet is not willing to confirm to others...
Hmm.....

Last edited:
Every morning, I log on and hope to see pages and pages of unread posts, because that will mean something has happened overnight. Crickets.

Even though nothing is new, I would appreciate simple press releases from CCSO, which would keep the case in people’s minds. Locals might think this is all wrapped up so they might not feel they have to report some little hinky thing that happened.

Locals might think this is all wrapped up so they might not feel they have to report some little hinky thing that happened.

Considering there are large banners hanging at various places in the local area, as reported by people who have been there and seen them personally, I don't know how any local could think the case is all wrapped up when they've been told many times and in various ways, online, on TV, in the newspaper, visual reminders with flyers and banners, that LE is still searching, still looking for info and tips.

Considering there are large banners hanging at various places in the local area, as reported by people who have been there and seen them personally, I don't know how any local could think the case is all wrapped up when they've been told many times and in various ways, online, on TV, in the newspaper, visual reminders with flyers and banners, that LE is still searching, still looking for info and tips.

I get the visual reminders-but I have to say, right now I am mostly living my life online. I don’t food shop, or go to restaurants, or the gym. I feel weird driving my car now, and I used to do it multiple times a day. I rarely leave the house, other than to walk in my neighborhood. Pandemic changes everything.

here you go:

Two months isn’t a long time, but two years is and we are long way off from two years.
Is LE ever obligated to share with the public what they know, or will they only share information that might assist them in their investigation?
Hypothetically, two years down the road, no arrests are made, do the daughters and BM have the right to see what information LE is withholding from the public?

I'm posting this not because I think of BM's innocence or guilt, but in the hopes that people don't come across this behavior and automatically assume the person doing it is lying.

Yes, the shaking of the head can be seen as deceitful, but it's not a slam dunk and there are other explanations.

Shaking the head back and forth that way also indicates sadness, wistfulness, or "I can't believe this is happening" emotion.
DH's family is old school midwest in their good, honest values, graciousness, manner of speaking and includes the shaking of the head action. The first time I saw DH do it I almost laughed because I thought he was imitating what he'd seen in old movies from the 30 and 40s. Then, I met his dad and over the years, his extended family all from the same midwestern state. They're a joy and all share that similar trait of shaking their heads when talking about something sad or incredulous.

I get the visual reminders-but I have to say, right now I am mostly living my life online. I don’t food shop, or go to restaurants, or the gym. I feel weird driving my car now, and I used to do it multiple times a day. I rarely leave the house, other than to walk in my neighborhood. Pandemic changes everything.
I don't remember if you specified, are you local to the Salida area?

Two months isn’t a long time, but two years is and we are long way off from two years.
Is LE ever obligated to share with the public what they know, or will they only share information that might assist them in their investigation?
Hypothetically, two years down the road, no arrests are made, do the daughters and BM have the right to see what information LE is withholding from the public?
@OldCop may be able to respond to this but locally here, Jennifer Kesses' family had to file a lawsuit against Orlando Police to see what they had
Jennifer Kesse: Missing woman's family settles lawsuit for police records, continues search for answers

He also says: "..I'm willing to confirm that the bike was..."
Sounds like there is a lot more he knows, yet is not willing to confirm to others...
Hmm.....

I see this as Barry called Trevor and filled him in. Whether Barry was there when the bike was found, doesn’t really matter, he knew it had been. For some reason LE didn’t want the word out, but that wouldn’t work for Barry…the bike story had to be out there to make the other scenarios possible, mountain lion, abduction, hit by a car or just plain falling off and "getting into the water" as Barry suggested.

Otherwise we have a woman who just upped and disappeared from her house. Barry was in a spot…so he used Trevor. That s why he was ‘willing” to say something and he did go farther, he challenged them to talk about the condition of the bike. I think Barry planted the seed with Trevor that LE was screwing up and he wasn’t allowed to say anything or people would think him guilty.

In the end I do think we have a woman who just upped and disappeared from her house. No bike involved. I think it may have been Friday or Saturday night, with the help of her landscaper.

Last edited:
I don't remember if you specified, are you local to the Salida area?

I am not. I know someone on this board is local. I’ve been in the heart of this pandemic and really have been home since the second week of March. I have to keep remembering that other parts of the country were in different stages when SM went missing. The camping trip is an example. I saw photos online from the Salida area, taken on Mother’s Day, and people were rafting. Remember the car ride videos from the area-so many people were out and about walking, biking. While Sunday church may have been virtual, there was still a lot going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth