Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, sure those answers could have just been the normal things you'd say if a reporter asked, "Is it dangerous to bike around here? Do you think SM was scared to bike alone?" But why would they ask this Skinner guy that? He's from Indiana and has been in Colorado to visit twice. What would he know? The local reporters would know more about the dangers in the wilds of Colorado than Skinner. So you have to ask yourself: how did this bike subject come up AGAIN? Is that all there is to SM? Her bike and she's nice?

Also, I can't figure out that hunting trip -- was Suzanne on the trip? Did Skinner talk to her then? It says that BM went on hunting trips for alone time, so I never thought SM would go. He would go with his hunting buddy for a guy's trip. Does anyone know? I'm probably reading too much into all this.
Following this, if Barry had his "guy" trips, did Suzanne have "girl" trips for her alone time? What would she do on those trips? Where would she go? Where are these friends talking about the fun they had and the meaningful conversations. I still wonder of Suzanne kept a journal and if she did where that might be. We learned so much about Jennifer Dulos from hers that Suzanne's could provide real insight.

So, are y'all glad someone spoke out to the media (though it was a friend of BM's) or not?

It looks like not so happy they did....

even though there have been complaints no one is speaking out and now someone did.

IMO

I am one who has mentioned I find it unusual that there hasn't been much of anything from SM's friends or family.
Then an article featuring BM's buddy since junior high (or whatever) pops up, basically telling us all what a swell feller BM is.
Color me unimpressed. Realistically, it sounds more like BM told him what to say & he said it.

jmo

Well, sure those answers could have just been the normal things you'd say if a reporter asked, "Is it dangerous to bike around here? Do you think SM was scared to bike alone?" But why would they ask this Skinner guy that? He's from Indiana and has been in Colorado to visit twice. What would he know? The local reporters would know more about the dangers in the wilds of Colorado than Skinner. So you have to ask yourself: how did this bike subject come up AGAIN? Is that all there is to SM? Her bike and she's nice?

Also, I can't figure out that hunting trip -- was Suzanne on the trip? Did Skinner talk to her then? It says that BM went on hunting trips for alone time, so I never thought SM would go. He would go with his hunting buddy for a guy's trip. Does anyone know? I'm probably reading too much into all this.
MOO, I think TS doesn’t express his thoughts well. Since the hunt was local, in Salida, he probably either stayed with the Ms or met up at the house to head out. He most likely talked to SM before and/or after the hunt. My SO hunts, and his group always meets up at one of their homes to consolidate into fewer cars.

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

SABBM:

Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his solitude time and it would re-energize him. During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

Huh.

Asking myself this question:

What are the odds that Barry having a heart-to-heart with a hunting buddy about SM's comfort level re: solitary bike rides and SM going missing during a solitary bike ride less than a year later are completely unrelated?

Rhetorical question, so I'll go ahead and answer it:

Those are some long odds.

JMO.
BBM.

As I read that quote, it sounds like the conversation was with Suzanne, not Barry. It's phrased a little oddly since I doubt Suzanne was along for the hunting trip, but presumably they talked before or after the actual hunting.

Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

A few things stood out in this msm interview :

"... I just want them to have closure,” Troy Skinner said..."
emphasis mine

Why ?
Suzanne is only missing, not dead -- that we know of.
There is something TS is not saying but is thinking; IMO.
"Closure" is the word usually reserved for a death, whether it's accidental, illness, or murder.

He visited the family twice after they moved to their Colorado home in Maysville. He described the family as a perfect family.

The Morphews have lived in CO for what, 2 years now ?
And he only visited twice ?
And yet somehow he knows they're the "perfect family" ?
Gmafb.
No one has the perfect family.
No one.

And only 2 visits in 2 years --people can and do present the 'side' they want you to see !
Not saying that Suzanne or her daughters did this.
Just that TS maybe doesn't know the family as well as he thinks he does !

When Skinner learned that Suzanne didn’t return from a bike ride, he immediately asked Barry what he could do to help.

“I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal..."
emphasis mine

So, which is it ?
Immediately as in that day, or 2 or 3 weeks later ?
Just curious if TS found pout Suzanne was missing via the local news or if someone in the Morphew family called him ?
This is of importance to me b/c I doubt he and BM were close enough that BM or family would call TS right away to tell him there was an emergency.

Imo

He added that there were never cracks in the relationship.
emphasis mine.

From his mouth to god's ears ?
Or is TS saying this to be supportive, but doesn't know if BM and SM ever had a disagreement ?
Every relationship even the better ones have had a crack or two.

“If Barry was involved, he would get his punishment and that’s the way it should be, but I would lose all faith in humanity because he just doesn’t have that in him,” Skinner said.
emph. mine

Really ?
If TS visited only twice in 2 years and went on a hunting trip in the past year, why would BM's guilt or innocence destroy your faith in humanity ?
Just seems so 'off'.
Almost like TS had someone script this interview for him !
IMO

There is a wealth of other information in the above link ; including but not limited to the question of why BM has already taken control of Suzanne's assets :

“Barry and Suzanne owned homes in Indiana and there was guardianship of those homes that Barry had requested after Suzanne’s disappearance to protect their financial interest and I think that they are looking at all of that and they needed the FBI assistance,” Corsentino added.

If everything is on the up-and-up and nothing underhanded, aka nefarious --why does the FBI need to look into it ??
Something sparked their interest.

My understanding is that the homes were in Suzanne's name and BM wanted to take control ?
Yes to protect their assets, but if the homes were in both of their names BM shouldn't have needed to assume guardianship, correct ?

Imo.

Last edited:

SABBM:

Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his solitude time and it would re-energize him. During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

Huh.

Asking myself this question:

What are the odds that Barry having a heart-to-heart with a hunting buddy about SM's comfort level re: solitary bike rides and SM going missing during a solitary bike ride less than a year later are completely unrelated?

Rhetorical question, so I'll go ahead and answer it:

Those are some long odds.

JMO.

I haven't seen anyone mention it (could have missed it I guess) but that article seems so hokey.

First, Skinner says BM goes hunting to get away, that it was his solitude time.
Then he's quoted as saying, during one of these get away/solitude time hunting trips for BM that he (Skinner) was on with BM, that he (Skinner) spoke to SM about her health and solo bike rides.

Okay let's back up. Were hunting trips to get away and get his solitude, but WITH his buddy Skinner and his wife, or no? Because on my planet, "solitude" and getting away kind of mean... well, solitude and getting away. It doesn't even make sense that Skinner would have a chance to talk to SM since... they were suppose to be away, elk hunting, for BM's solitude time.

But to make it even more hokey, as you suggest, what are the odds Skinner would specifically ask about the very thing, a year prior, that is now part of the whole mystery of her going missing... a solo bike ride. Were solo bike rides a common topic of conversation with SM? Did BM's buddies ask about that specific, particular habit of SM's on a regular basis?

It just seems so fake. All of it. And FAR too convenient. Nope, I'm not buying it, at all.

jmo

A few things stood out in this msm interview :

"... I just want them to have closure,” Troy Skinner said..."
emphasis mine

Why ?
Suzanne is only missing, not dead -- that we know of.
There is something TS is not saying but is thinking; imo.
"Closure" is the word usually reserved for a death, whether it's accidental, illness, or murder.

He visited the family twice after they moved to their Colorado home in Maysville. He described the family as a perfect family.

The Morphews have lived in CO for what, 2 years now ?
And he only visited twice ?
And yet somehow he knows they're the "perfect family" ?
Gmafb.
No one has the perfect family.
No one.

And only 2 visits in 2 years --people can and do present the 'side' they want you to see !
Not saying that Suzanne or her daughters did this.
Just that TS maybe doesn't know the family as well as he thinks he does !

When Skinner learned that Suzanne didn’t return from a bike ride, he immediately asked Barry what he could do to help.

“I didn’t actually get to talk to Barry until two or three weeks into the ordeal..."
emphasis mine

So, which is it ?
Immediately as in that day, or 2 or 3 weeks later ?
Just curious if TS found pout Suzanne was missing via the local news or if someone in the Morphew family called him ?
This is of importance to me b/c I doubt he and BM were close enough that BM or family would call TS right away to tell him there was an emergency.

Imo

He added that there were never cracks in the relationship.
emphasis mine.

From his mouth to god's ears ?
Or is TS saying this to be supportive, but doesn't know if BM and SM ever had a disagreement ?
Every relationship even the better ones have had a crack or two.

“If Barry was involved, he would get his punishment and that’s the way it should be, but I would lose all faith in humanity because he just doesn’t have that in him,” Skinner said.
emph. mine

Really ?
If TS visited only twice in 2 years and went on a hunting trip in the past year, why would BM's guilt or innocence destroy your faith in humanity ?
Just seems so 'off'.
Almost like TS had someone script this interview for him !
IMO

There is a wealth of other information in the above link ; including but not limited to the question of why BM has already taken control of Suzanne's assets :

“Barry and Suzanne owned homes in Indiana and there was guardianship of those homes that Barry had requested after Suzanne’s disappearance to protect their financial interest and I think that they are looking at all of that and they needed the FBI assistance,” Corsentino added.

If everything is on the up-and-up and nothing underhanded, aka nefarious --why does the FBI need to look into it ??
Something sparked their interest.

My understanding is that the homes were in Suzanne's name and BM wanted to take control ?
Yes to protect their assets, but if the homes were in both of their names BM shouldn't have needed to assume guardianship, correct ?

Imo.

IN house was in both their names, jointly so both have to sign the deed to convey the property - he received guardianship letters which effectively allowed him to sign "her" name to convey the deed - now if she was deceased, and they owned as husband and wife, or joint with survivor then he just needs to record the death certificate and then the property is 100% his. that's how it works in my state -
JMO

"In the early part of this past year..."

Ok....so is that early 2019?

Or is that early 2020?

Today I would say: "Wow its Friday already, this past week went fast. All we've done is talk about SM."

"this past week" meaning Mon 6th --Friday 10th...

So, how do you read "the early part of this last year"?

2019?
2020?

Here’s what I think the message is that everyone is picking up on but haven’t been able to articulate: this disappearance is being, and has been from the start, pushed as “an extremely friendly woman” alone on a bike ride in the Colorado wilderness (mountain lion attack?), with the unsaid implication being that she was abducted by someone who was able to gain access to her while she was out of the home because she was a trusting, helpful person who would have been easy to lure due to her giving nature.

And as far as any of us know, only *one* person has been pushing that narrative from the very first day she was missing.

The fact that the home was held by investigators from Day 1, searched extensively, released, and now has been searched again, when the narrative is that she went missing from an unknown location *outside* the home, is what is sending us that signal that something doesn’t add up.

"In the early part of this past year..."

Ok....so is that early 2019?

Or is that early 2020?

Today I would say: "Wow its Friday already, this past week went fast. All we've done is talk about SM."

"this past week" meaning Mon 6th --Friday 10th...

So, how do you read "the early part of this last year"?

2019?
2020?
Well...the early part of 2020 was about six years ago, so...

lol.

MOO, I think TS doesn’t express his thoughts well. Since the hunt was local, in Salida, he probably either stayed with the Ms or met up at the house to head out. He most likely talked to SM before and/or after the hunt. My SO hunts, and his group always meets up at one of their homes to consolidate into fewer cars.
Ok...could be true...

But... how would that go?

"Hey Susanne, how are you? How's the girls? Ever go on bike rides? Feel safe on bike rides? Oops Barry's ready to go--ok by see ya later!"

Ok, that's a bit comical, but, realistically it sounds a bit hinkey....

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone mention it (could have missed it I guess) but that article seems so hokey.

First, Skinner says BM goes hunting to get away, that it was his solitude time.
Then he's quoted as saying, during one of these get away/solitude time hunting trips for BM that he (Skinner) was on with BM, that he (Skinner) spoke to SM about her health and solo bike rides.

Okay let's back up. Were hunting trips to get away and get his solitude, but WITH his buddy Skinner and his wife, or no? Because on my planet, "solitude" and getting away kind of mean... well, solitude and getting away. It doesn't even make sense that Skinner would have a chance to talk to SM since... they were suppose to be away, elk hunting, for BM's solitude time.

But to make it even more hokey, as you suggest, what are the odds Skinner would specifically ask about the very thing, a year prior, that is now part of the whole mystery of her going missing... a solo bike ride. Were solo bike rides a common topic of conversation with SM? Did BM's buddies ask about that specific, particular habit of SM's on a regular basis?

It just seems so fake. All of it. And FAR too convenient. Nope, I'm not buying it, at all.

jmo

I think that article was horribly worded.

Here's what I suspect the reporter intended to convey:

Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his (Barry's) solitude time and it would re-energize him (Barry) . During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he (Barry) spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

Like I said, terribly worded section there.
Lots of he and him and his references with no clear indication of which he or him is being referenced.

I think the reporter meant to say that Barry told TS during a hunting trip about a conversation that he (Barry) had with SM about her health in relation to going for solitary bike rides.

I buy the conversation in that context, because it shows how BM's brain was tracking at the time.

Which appears to have been along the lines of, "SM going for bike rides alone might not be safe."

And then, less than year later, the thought may have recurred to him in this fashion:
"Aha! Yes. Yes. A solitary bike ride! That will work!"

Or, as Frazee would say, "Well, exactly."

JMO.

Last edited:
Here’s what I think the message is that everyone is picking up on but haven’t been able to articulate: this disappearance is being, and has been from the start, pushed as “an extremely friendly woman” alone on a bike ride in the Colorado wilderness (mountain lion attack?), with the unsaid implication being that she was abducted by someone who was able to gain access to her while she was out of the home because she was a trusting, helpful person who would have been easy to lure due to her giving nature.

And as far as any of us know, only *one* person has been pushing that narrative from the very first day she was missing.

The fact that the home was held by investigators from Day 1, searched extensively, released, and now has been searched again, when the narrative is that she went missing from an unknown location *outside* the home, is what is sending us that signal that something doesn’t add up.
All the BBM!
Bam!! Excellent post!

I think that article was horribly worded.

Here's what I suspect the reporter intended to convey:

Skinner said Barry would go on hunting trips to get away, it was his (Barry's) solitude time and it would re-energize him (Barry) . During an elk hunting trip with Barry in Salida this past year, Skinner said he (Barry) spoke with Suzanne about her health and having no hesitations in going on bike rides alone.

Like I said, terribly worded section there.
Lots of he and him and his references with no clear indication of which he or him is being referenced.

I think the reporter meant to say that Barry told TS during a hunting trip about a conversation that he (Barry) had with SM about her health in relation to going for solitary bike rides.

I buy the conversation in that context, because it shows how BM's brain was tracking at the time.

Which appears to have been along the lines of, "SM going for bike rides alone might not be safe."

And then, less than year later, the thought may have recurred in this fashion:
"Aha! Yes. Yes. A solitary bike ride! That will work!"

Or, as Frazee would say, "Well, exactly."

JMO.
Yup! And ya wanna know why? Because Barry is an "all inclusive package" and can get it done! Lol!

I have no doubt Suzanne was confident and unafraid, I think you missed my point.

First the context, did Barry mention Suzanne's long bike rides to Skinner? Is that the context of his conversation with Suzanne? If so, that could lend itself to a preexisting train of thought on BM's part (how can I make someone disappear, but appear as though I had no involvement). BM has been distancing himself from the very beginning in one form or another.

Personally I feel the motive will be financial, and involve another woman. Not sure on the premeditated part yet, MOO.
No, I got your point. It's just that I've been in social settings where someone asks the non-cycling or non-triathlete about their wife or girlfriend going out on 50-100+ training rides alone. You get answers like, "She's been doing it for years now and she is very comfortable in it." or "Yeah, she's actually right at home with it, and I just write off Saturday as I won't see her till mid afternoon."

I was merely providing my perspective as we don't know the actual context of the conversation. Was BM setting up a premeditated act by starting the conversation and steering it in that direction? Maybe, and certainly possible. But without hearing the entire thing we don't know. Skinner may have started the conversation by asking how Suzanne is doing and BM may have said 'much better and in fact she is going out cycling now and really enjoying it.' We don't even know if the phrase 'didn't feel threatened' was actually said. BM may have merely stated she was 'comfortable' or 'confident' in her solo riding and now since Suzanne is missing Skinner has added the word 'threatened', thus providing an different context from the actual conversation. This guy is BM's friend so that is entirely possible. On that same point, we have the possibility the conversation NEVER took place at all or at very least no reference to safety. IOW, Skinner may have embellished the story OR outright lied.

Yup! And ya wanna know why? Because Barry is an "all inclusive package" and can get it done! Lol!
I don't know how to articulate this well, but personally.. I'd feel threatened if someone asked me if I feel threatened. :) I'm not making sense but it is a disconcerting comment coming from a man.
Conversely, if I were speaking and going on about a hobby I loved...I'm not going to say.."I love biking and I don't feel the least bit threatened when I go."
So either way that supposed conversation went down.. it's uncomfortable. . IMO

SABBM:

“She did talk about her bike rides, she liked it, she felt safe and she didn’t feel threatened on them,” Skinner explained.

Returning to this quote because it's the gift that just keeps on giving.

It's uncanny how every time one of BM's friends/family tries to defend him, it's open mouth, insert Bigfoot time.
Any way you look at it, that conversation with his buddy TS is potentially very damning to BM.
I'm flabbergasted that his friend thought it would help to make BM look/sound good.
There is no way in which this helps BM.

LE is going to be very interested in speaking with this TS dude now.
If they haven't already, LE's going to be interviewing him about that supposed convo during the camping trip.
Count on it.

If, stressing IF, BM is involved in SM's disappearance, this conversation with the friend on the camping trip is hugely significant, because it shows where BM's train of thought was taking him r/t Suzanne's bike rides.

How safe is it for SM to go on bike rides by herself?
Well, she feels safe. She doesn't feel threatened.
So, she goes on bike rides by herself.

If, stressing IF, BM is involved in SM's disappearance, here's how this conversation is a major problem for BM:

Because he's already spoken with TS about the subject of SM's safety on lone bike rides, a bike ride fits perfectly in terms of being something BM's brain would have latched onto for staging purposes, regardless of whether this was a crime of passion OR planned well in advance.

In my mind, that convo is nothing but another finger pointed straight at Barry.

"We're going to need a bigger hand."

*The views expressed above are JMO and do not necessarily reflect the views of this station.
THIS post is a "take your breath away" post. It is right on target!!!!!!!

I don't know how to articulate this well, but personally.. I'd feel threatened if someone asked me if I feel threatened. :) I'm not making sense but it is a disconcerting comment coming from a man.
Conversely, if I were speaking and going on about a hobby I loved...I'm not going to say.."I love biking and I don't feel the least bit threatened when I go."
So either way that supposed conversation went down.. it's uncomfortable. . IMO
Bingo! Excellent point!!

IMO the main news coming out yesterday was that there was some sort of LE activity at the house of the missing person again. Whether there was another search pursuant to a SW or whether it was a "knock and talk" or some other consentual follow-up, it is very significant.

If it was/is a search pursuant to a SW, it is likely that LE is still holding the house and searching. How long are they going to hold the house this time? These are the questions I would like to see journalist follow-up on with LE. While comments from a lifetime friend of the spouse of the missing person (and presumbably the missing person as well if they all went to the same high school) provided some insight, what LE is doing today would be much more interesting...IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth